Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Digital Scumbag posted:

Anyone goons in Arizona/Phoenix/West Valley area have a recommendation for a BJJ gym or Judo club? Coming up empty handed...

On the west side, I immediately thought about The Lab in Glendale: http://www.mmalab.com/

I haven't trained there myself, but I train BJJ under some John Crouch disciples at Southwest MMA who are pretty cool and I know they go over to the Lab to train sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Watch Royce Gracie's 10 minute instructional video on belt tying. Its hilarious.

You mean Rener? His belt tying video, like all of his Youtube videos, is awesome.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Dancing around doing made-up kung fu moves sounds like a lot of fun though...

Then you really want to do Capoeira.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Haywire is a cool movie, and probably the only time in a film I wasn't cringing in third-party embarrassment at a woman beating up a dude on-screen (kung-fu movies not included).

Not because I think the idea of a woman beating up a man is ridiculous, but because 99% of the time it's Angelina Jolie or someone similarly miscast.

The fight scenes were pretty cool, but they were brief and the long, uninteresting gaps between them made me not like that movie. I watched it to see Carano beating people up, not "acting." Needs more fights.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If you feel like poo poo and don't want to train, and then you don't train, you'll wallow. But if you feel grumpy and you go anyway, you'll feel a lot better afterwards. It's not like "you'll be proud of yourself" or anything like that, it's engaging in a life or death struggle that takes all your mental focus. It's cathartic and will get anything aggressive out of your head, too.

This is totally how I feel about it. Training is a great vacation from stressing out about other stuff. There's no opportunity to worry about anything else in my life if some dude is trying to choke me unconscious. When I'm feeling stressed I forget about that and want to skip class, but I'll drag myself in because I know that by the end of class my brain will be appreciative that I stopped stressing out about work for awhile. Even when I get my rear end kicked and I'm physically beat up, it somehow feels refreshing.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Hey I've got some quick questions for my fellow grapplers, tell me how you think-

1. Would you prefer to attack from mount, front headlock, or back?
2. Do you try to establish a rhythm or find a balance before you attack or do you go right for subs from the start?
3. Do you prefer sweeps (trips) or shots against standing opponents?
4. Do you fight for a certain grip or just take whatever is available?
5. Gi or nogi? Old school or new school? Speed or strength?

Thanks!

1. Back, front headlock, mount. Bow and arrow chokes are my favorite. I've never liked mount. When I hit sweeps to mount, I'll frequently bail and go to side control instead.
2. I try to establish a rhythm. I am not very explosive nor aggressive.
3. I have no stand up game to speak of. I'd pull guard. I'd try trips before shots though.
4. I usually try to fight for certain grips.
5. Gi. I am passably strong but slow as hell. I don't like rolling without handles to tie people down with. Squirmy wrestlers doing nogi are bad news for me. I guess I'm more old school than new.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

willie_dee posted:

I can get mount fairly easily as well.

willie_dee posted:

I'm not confident enough with armbars yet, it seems like a brilliant way to give away position if I miss out an important detail.

1) Mount
2) Attempt armbar
3) GOTO 1

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

de la peche posted:

Watching Metamoris. EBI was good, this is loving tedious.

Yeah. EBI got it right. Metamoris is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

fatherdog posted:

I have washed my belt (along with my gi) after every single session, white through black, and I have never once had a stripe fall off.

Really? Do you hand wash it? I always lose my stripes almost immediately. I tend to just leave them off until promotion/seminar time comes around again or I'd always be replacing stripes. Everyone knows where everyone else in the gym belongs anyway, so I don't worry about the stripe level on my belt being off.

• Locked thread