Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I dunno if there are any Vancouverites around in here but I'm looking to get back into Kali/pretty much any striking martial art after a year break. The trick is, the only place I know of/where I used to go is in East Van ( Maelstrom ) and I really really do not want to commute for it (I'm in Richmond). The further away it is the less likely I am to go consistently/stick with it. I have found this place http://premierwestmma.com/news/ and I know I shouldn't judge but the website is so terrible that it doesn't instill confidence in me. I suppose I could take that to mean they spend more time training than updating their website, but still...

Failing any other Kali/Pekiti Tirsia/Filipino Martial Arts schools or hell even JKD, I'm thinking about maybe going back to general MMA/Muay Thai at a place closer to me. Anyone had experience with http://www.universalmma.com/ ? No BJJ at the Richmond location though but I'm mostly interested in the striking anyway so it works out.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
This may be one of the worst school websites I've ever seen:

http://www.shinka.ca/index.html

I don't imagine anyone has had any experience here? Is there a way to tell if this is total bullshit? The site doesn't inspire confidence...mostly because they really don't let you know anything until you book a consultation session. I'll probably do so anyway but I guess I'm not sure what to look for or if the website itself is any indication of quality of instruction.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 26, 2011

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Since there seem to be a few Vancouver people here, I was hoping I could get some advice on MT & schools here. I suppose in general anyone could help me though - hopefully this isn't sperglord long.

I finally am getting back into it ( never actually done MT but have tried just about everything else under the sun ), problem is that honestly, the further away the place is, the less likely I am going to go. I know it's dumb, training should be paramount regardless of location, but I know how I am. I don't want it to take up the entire night, I just don't have enough time and ultimately it will make me lose interest.

I guess what I'm generally asking is: for my purposes - fun/fitness/semi-legitimate training, am I hobbling myself in the future by potentially going to a less "legit" place? Learning bad habits etc? Or is the core, the basics of MT, more or less the same?

I've ruled out http://www.kaisingthong.com/main.html because I don't want to deal with the commute.

I live in Richmond and all I really found that was close by were 2 places:

http://dynamicmma.com/ - which seems to be geared towards MMA specifically and doesn't do MT - they only do Dutch style kickboxing ( basically MT without Elbows from what I gather? Some sort of Boxing / Kyokushin hybrid ). The gym looks huge though and really well geared.

and

http://www.richmondmma.ca/ who's lead instructor Victor Wang ( was? ) the light-heavyweight or something. He has a fight reel here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seXjCNx9B2c&list=UU8LZyIUyz2URWUCDZUAcjlQ&index=5&feature=plcp ( actual fighting starts around 2:00 ), and he trained under Posener ( he's actually on the Kel Lee site - http://www.kelleesama.com/instructors.htm ), for whatever that is worth - not much I gather.

I've actually been to the latter one a few times now - and the part I liked the most really was that the classes were small - I went to Gracie-Barra on Broadway a few years ago and it sucked because it was just too over-crowded - even rolling - especially the MT which took place in what I would call a long closet with no ventilation. I know that's not the case now since they moved, but it definitely burned me in that I refuse to go to a place where I have to fight for mat space.

tl;dr - I don't actually have any experience in MT so I don't really know what I should/should not be looking for.

[edit to add] - I do know one thing to ensure is that the place does actual sparring, so that has also been a primary criteria in addition to location ( for me ). So the only places I've considered do so, just to rule that out.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 21, 2012

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
What is the consensus on Dutch Kickboxing?

I know generally about the style, and that a lot of bigger names in MMA from the Netherlands have trained it. I get the impression one of the reasons for this is that they don't train elbows, which aren't allowed in most MMA competitions anyway.

The other gym I'm considering looks pretty serious ( http://dynamicmma.com/ ) - their own MMA team comprised of people trained at their gym from the beginning, the gym itself looks huge and fully stocked - their own Octagon, tons of mat space, full beginner program, seems they go to fights every few months etc.

The only catch is they only have a MT class once a week, the rest of the time it's this Dutch style. I don't know why but I find myself hesitant to try a non-traditional kickboxing style, though I'm not sure why, maybe I just don't know enough about it.

The things is, I don't really plan to compete, I just want to have fun/get in even better shape. I still want the best training I can get though, and this place seems much more organized than the smaller local place.

The downside of the small place I've been to is I am the only person 6'+, so my partners even though we do pad training etc, are all no joke, almost a foot shorter than me even though I'm only 6'2". So they can't really hold the pads properly it seems like - especially for punches, and it's really awkward for me to hold the pads down for them. I'm thinking maybe a bigger pool will leave me more varied sizes of training partners.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Dutch kickboxing is better than muay thai if youre a taller guy. I'm not really sure what else youre asking but dutch kickboxing isnt 'non-traditional' its barely different from muay thai and its what most guys train nowadays

Thanks for the input! I'm just having a hard time picking one or the other, and I guess I just wouldn't want to feel like I'm "missing out" not doing MT because Dutch doesn't do Elbows and doesn't do much clinch ( based on hearsay, no clue how true that is ). Whether that is relevant or not though, considering I don't plan to compete, is what I'm trying to decide.

I'll try it out anyway and realistically probably go with Dutch just because of the facilities are much better. I just hadn't ever heard of Dutch style before this, didn't even know it was a thing honestly, so that's why I was a little wary when I called up and they said "Oh we don't do Muay Thai, it's Dutch style".

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

PelirrojoLoco posted:

For what it's worth I've trained with Victor a bit at Posener's and I quite like him- I would definitely consider trying a class or two with him if you have the opportunity.

And please take the Posener negativity with a grain of salt- keep in mind that he's been in the local fight scene for a long time and is well respected amongst the other gyms.

Yeah I'm not really concerned about the whole "My master is the best" stuff, I mean I'm not planning to go to Thailand and train at a camp or anything. I just want to be able to punch and kick stuff/people, hopefully properly trained.

The main reason I'm considering the Dutch style ( vs. the place w/ Posener instructors ) is simply the facility. The smaller place just has such a small pool of partners ( like classes of 4-7 ), originally I thought it was a benefit but it's getting to be a pain trying to get a 5'2" partner to hold the pads high enough or strongly enough that I feel like I'm actually training, instead of kneeling down to try and practice an uppercut.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Guilty posted:

Victor's pretty cool and a good fighter. But a good facility is also pretty drat important.

Had a class with Victor last night and he is really cool - quite a personality and seems to be a good teacher. Never felt anything quite like when he was demonstrating leg kicks on me - even with the pad I ended up with the biggest goose egg of my life on my outer right thigh. We did leg catches as well which was really fun, it was a disconcerting feeling being manhandled by him with my leg up above my head while he pushed me around and threw knees and punches me. He also made sure I wasn't paired up with anyone that was too much shorter than me so that helped a lot as well.

They gave me 2 free weeks at this place so I'll stick it out for another week and see what I feel like. I have to admit that despite the smaller location, it's starting to grow on me - primarily because it's just so drat convenient and last night was fun as hell. It's also half the cost of the bigger place per month - with reason I suppose. The facility itself is quite nice really, it's spotless/clean, they wipe down everything, it's not run down or anything. The biggest difference is really just that it is much much smaller.

So now my dilemma now is more: cost & convenience vs. facility & style. The small place is so close I could walk there and the classes are better timed as well - 7:30PM start is perfect. Both of which go a long ways towards longevity for me. Every single other place, not just near me but everywhere, seems to have the striking from 6:30 - 7:30, BJJ from 7:30-8:30/9 and it's really annoying. Seems like BJJ is the focus and the MT/Kickboxing is secondary/gets the bastard time slot.

I get a free week at the other place so I'm going to extend my free training as long as possible, just to try out the different style. As far as styles go though, again I'm not planning to compete ( though I suppose I shouldn't rule it out 100% in the future ), so I'm not particularly concerned that one style is better in an MMA fight than another.

Aside from the fact that I'm not sure that it really matters in a "street fight" anyway since it's not like you honorably face eachother, bow, and then circle. I have a buddy who has been in a lot of street/bar fights and he said it's basically over in 10 seconds, 1 knee or a sweep and the other guy is flat out by the time the cops get there anyway. You're not standing and trading blows for 3 minutes. I don't know how accurate or relevant that is since I'm not planning to do any fighting ever, but at least it's somewhat tangentially related.

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it!

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

mewse posted:

This topic comes up endlessly in this thread. If you want to win street fights, get a good pair of running shoes

Don't get me wrong - I'm not planning to be in any street fights, let alone win them. I was just trying to apply the only scenario I can foresee where I would actually be fighting someone other than a training partner, in which case the style I use is irrelevant to "winning".

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I talked to my MT instructor last night and he said I'm ready to start sparring ( hopefully next week ), so I want to buy my own gear for obvious reasons.

The question I have for Vancouver specific people is, what's the best/cheapest local source for Thai shin pads/headgear? Specific brands I should look for? Retail therraaappyyyy :gay:

I didn't actually realize there was a difference between Thai pads specifically, he just warned me not to get "MMA pads" which are too thin ( and typically are a sock style pull-on ). For headgear he said to spend >$90 because it's my brain/face and all.

I had a friend recommend some place on Commercial drive that doesn't seem to exist anymore so I'm not really 100% on where to go. Google has found some results but I'd like to check first-hand opinions before I go balls deep and drop $$'s on this at the wrong place with the wrong brands/gear.

Apart from shin pads/headgear/mouthgard/cup, is there anything else I might be missing? I've seen chest protectors which I assume are a must buy as well.

Also, MT is loving fun, so glad I got back into striking - there is just something really satisfying about hitting stuff and getting full resistance as opposed to standing around trying not to hit someone.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 27, 2012

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Christoff posted:

Word. I finally just got all my gear and can post pics, reviews, or whatever once I mess around with it all.

Yeah that'd be great!

I already have some 14oz gloves from boxing and 2 sets of handwraps, so if I don't need a chest protector it really just boils down to:

-Headgear ( TWINS I assume is pretty solid? )

-Shin pads ( TWINS also I assume? specifically listed as Thai shin pads with velcro straps )

- Mouthguard - The ones Kimbo posted look pretty hardcore, obviously it's my teeth but I'm wondering if I NEED a custom molded one this early on? Is there anything wrong with the Shock Doctor ones ( http://www.gearlocker.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_13&products_id=50 ) or Jaco? (http://www.gearlocker.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_13&products_id=49)

I'm aiming to start next Monday so I suppose expedience is partially an aim here.

Gratz on the Blue btw Colliwog! Did you get whipped? Friend of mine got his blue a few months back and showed us pictures of his whipping afterwards in some sort of hazing ritual.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 28, 2012

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I must be a masochist because I'm really enjoying coming home with bruises and sore shins. Did a lot of defense last night, blocking hooks/high kicks and side-kicks. It's really cool that I can take a kick to my side when defending properly and barely feel it, other than the physical pushing.

I also didn't realize how super light contact, just practicing blocks/lower leg kicks, would give me bruising on my shins. Not even kicking hard, just enough where you can feel it, but drat. I assume over time your shins just toughen up?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Had my first (light) sparring session last night and holy.poo poo. Talk about a humbling experience. It's like what little I knew went out the door and I was in total panic mode, it was all I could manage to try and keep my hands up and throw a few jabs and a cross. First round was with the instructor so he put in some solid hits, kicked in the head (lightly), constant jabs to the face. I don't think I even got a hit in except for maybe a leg kick. The worst was double & triple jabs just pegging me in the face and my only thought was "gently caress! How do I make it stop!?" haha.

Good times, look forward to more. It's funny though, as :gay: as this sounds I felt really...emotional, I guess...afterwards. I think it's the first time I've been hit, even lightly, in the face in probably 10 years. Is that feeling normal? Or is it just because I'm a giant pussy and will toughen up? :unsmith:

Semi-related, prior we had practiced some head kicks and I am so not flexible it is pretty sad. The highest I could go with a roundhouse was maybe mid-chest, it actually kind of hurt trying to aim higher. Are there any good stretches or techniques I can practice at home to try and curb it? Even my fiancee can kick my head and she doesn't even train anything. :smith:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Thanks for the reassurance! I figured it might be adrenaline or something but I suppose it may just be that I've never really been in any stand-up fights except for a few times I was a kid. So actually getting punched and kicked, regardless of the power level, is so foreign.

I took BJJ for a year and a half before stopping and I didn't really get the same feeling after rolling, even the first few times. I don't know if it was just because there was so much more rolling or if it's because me and my friends would wrestle all the time as kids/teenagers that it's no big deal to get choked out.

In any case, it's exactly what I was looking for, and is the reason I wanted to do something with sparring. I just didn't really expect to get so worked up, it took me a good hour sitting on the couch watching TV to calm down.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Purple Prince posted:

I'm interested in starting Muay Thai later this year, but I'm a skinny unfit goon (5' 9.5", 135lb) and I've heard that it's pretty intense. While the club I want to join offers beginner classes, I'm not confident enough in my fitness to dive in without some sort of prior exercise routine, like weightlifting or whatever. I also have negligible experience in other martial arts (about 3 months of Karate, and 3 years of Judo when I was about 7).

My question to the more experienced is: should I bite the bullet and go to a beginner session, or start working out before I do so?

The point is to push yourself, to get better, faster, and stronger. The earlier you start, the earlier you will improve. DO IT!

FWIW, I thought I was in pretty good shape before starting myself. I went to the gym 3 times a week and lifted, did light cardio and was pretty healthy/fit. These things did not actually help me in class in any way on my first day.

Just because you can bench 250lbs doesn't mean you can do more push-ups or punch/kick better. My cardio that I thought was good was abysmal - if anything I had a harder time due to the extra muscle weight that my body wasn't used to having to carry around while doing footwork and throwing kicks. I also didn't know how to breath properly ( still don't really ).

However, I think most people would say it's a good idea to do both.

Point is - you don't need to be at a certain fitness level to start, your body will just naturally change as long as you keep it up. I've become much more lean in just 3 months and I haven't even been trying, it's like my body is being sculpted or something.

Also:

Stabbing Spork posted:

Just don't eat right before your first class and throw up. like I did.

I personally make sure I eat 1 hour before going to class, puking sucks.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Striking Chat:

Did my 4th sparring session last night in MT. Fun as hell, the first 2 rounds the guys took it easy on me and it wasn't too intense. The last round was with a guy who is really good ( or at least has sparred a fuckton more than me ), I was getting spinning kicks, 5-6 punch combos, spinning backfists you name it. Longest 2 minutes of my life.

The upshot is that I'm getting pretty used to getting punched and kicked. I still find myself doing one of 2 things though against someone like that:

1) TURTLE, 0 offense, just weather the storm

2) BRAWL, 0 defense, flailing fists basically while taking punch after kick after punch

I'm getting much tighter in my defense I think, but I do find a severely delayed reaction in countering. It's like it takes my brain 2 seconds to realize what just happened and to try and do what I learned. I'm sure that'll be quicker over time though once my brain is taken out of the equation ( either due to getting hit too many times or muscle memory, maybe both! ).

I've sort of learned to go in for a clinch if I'm feeling overwhelmed, and it works well some of the time, but I don't want that to be my only go-to, you know? It feels...lazy.

The other guys were watching and pointed out I really don't use my jab reach to my advantage ( long arms ), or really use my jab individually much at all. I think I always try to do combos, ALWAYS, so if I jab it's maybe 1 or 2 before I try a 1-2-3-kick or something and then I stop. I assume I should just be constantly jabbing basically ( what I think was being done to me ) and then punishing if he tries to get in close with a straight or a hook.

I know that if I get punched, I punch back, punish him for hurting me. But what if I just can't find an opening because it's like a whirlwind in my face? Anything other than weather the storm until I perceive an opening?

I think in general I'm simply just THINKING too much, rather than just DOING. I assume this is also something that gets easier with time?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll just keep at it and get better the more I do it!

I don't think "on rails" is as much an issue for me, but maybe because I'm the only newb that is actually sparring. Everyone else has probably at least a year of sparring experience (minimum) on top of me. No other beginners in my classes actually ever want to spar so in that sense I have the benefit of always sparring with someone better than me. I seem to consistently get punished if I don't keep mixing things up and everyone is pretty good about slowing things down and giving me advice on the spot ( except for balls-out guy, but I do appreciate not being handled with kid gloves either all the time ).

I'm pretty good about moving, circling and dodging ( getting really good at moving out of reach ), but I think when I'm moving/circling I'm just doing it too slow. Technically yeah I'm moving in a circle and jabbing but I think it's just slow and predictable enough that the other guy has no problem knowing where I'm going or keeping up with me. Actually, this is probably exactly what you're talking about with the "rails", only my rail is circular!

Another issue is I think I'm pulling my attacks as well because I'm just not confident in my power. I do NOT want to be that newb who goes full force and I think that might be affecting my "flow". I'm already over-thinking and now I'm adding another thing to think about because I don't want to be a dick. I think I would actually do better if I was simply not thinking about the strength of my attacks and just going "all out" but obviously that's not ideal for anyone, at least at my current skill level. Is there anything I can do to counter this, other than just sparring more and more?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

I've met a lot of newer people who have trouble hitting someone else in the face, and when they finally do they start apologizing. Just realize that the people you're sparring have probably taken much harder hits than whatever you can throw at them. Keep your form as sharp as possible and don't lose your head, but don't worry so much about controlling the power of your punches until you're used to actually connecting with your punches.

Ligur posted:

Yeah just try to connect them in the face or liver or some other juicy target. You know the separation of throwing overhands rights from the pocket, eyes wild, looking for a KO for no reason to simply slamming jabs at their face.

If the guys you spar with are more experienced don't worry about hurting them since you probably can't. Just remember if you go wild and start wailing away like crazy 1) you shouldn't because you learn little 2) they'll drop you for it.

Hit as fast as you can. Not as hard as you can. Two different things. And then return your arms and legs to your guard as fast or faster than your strike was. This means your defense is up again.

(Though both have the perfectly same physics, for simplicity it's that the latter just aims at 2-4 inches BEHIND where you have your target, the former just connects at the target but stops right there. It has been calculated you need to punch through 2'5 inches inside the body of your enemy to deliver serious hurt.)

Very good points. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to imply I'm some sort of Hulk who is worried about punching someone through the wall. I think it's just like you said, I'm worried about hurting them when really I shouldn't be. These guys can/could/do work me over, so really I should just be trying to hit them period, not "hit them just enough to touch but not too hard nice and easy now don't want to hurt anyone". It's not like I'd be throwing wild-eyed haymakers in the first place anyway, so I think as long as I try what you said and just aim to hit their face as *fast* as I can, not punch THROUGH their face, that'll help. I'm just definitely too self-conscious when sparring about being "that guy", and really this probably translates into real life too so this will help me in general, not just in class!

Xguard86 posted:

We're at similar points in striking training, about two months, and I have basically the exact same experiences when I'm sparring. I've only done four rounds so you may be ahead of me in minutes but it's close.

Yeah based on reading your posts seems we're basically at the same point. Good to know it's not just me! :unsmith:

There is a "sparring-only" class on Saturdays that I'm going to try to start going to. It's a normal style class in that there is stretching/warm-up but from what I understand after that point there is very brief instruction then it's basically just 45 minutes of 2 minute rounds ( or as long as you can go without dying ). So less technique more doing, a more "live" instruction if you will. As it is right now when I spar is really only on the Monday class, if we have enough time at the end for people to put on their gear, and if enough of the more advanced guys are even there - which seems to be once every 1-2 weeks.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Coinciding with my upcoming increase in sparring, I want a cup.

I know that Christoff had recommended the Shock Doctor cup awhile back ( seems like everyone at my gym also recommends the shock doctor ones with gel lining ), so I'll probably get one of them, my question is if anyone has used either of these:

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/ultra-carbon-flex-cup.aspx ( the Lamborghini of cups )

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/titan-alloy-flex-cup.aspx ( STAINLESS STEEL?? )

I've used lovely generic ones before and haven't bought a cup since because they are so uncomfortable. I'm willing to pay a premium to protect my junk.

Anyone had experience with a Compression short w/ cup combo? I know that an actual jock strap would be a more precise fit but honestly just wearing one ( the strap ) makes me uncomfortable. I'd much rather have a short w/ a pocket in front but I suppose then I have to accept it might not be a perfect fit/positioning. Of course maybe I haven't tried the right jock strap either.

HELP ME SAVE MY BALLS

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Christoff posted:

Yeah I got this one

http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Supporter-Carbon-Medium/dp/B00181BH7K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338490242&sr=8-3

Watch the sizing since in the reviews it seems they run a bit small.

After a lot of googling it seemed the compression shorts didn't work too good and moved around a lot and pinched your sack.

The Shock doctor one I linked isn't a jock strap in the traditional sense that you have a g-string on. If that's what you're worried about. It has two straps that wrap around each thigh.

NWS - http://www.internationaljock.com/v3/prd_shock-doctor-basix-supporter-with-bioflex-cup.xlg?partno=3582&view=tall

Good to know, thanks! When I hear "jock strap" it just brings to mind the g-string and they are just really uncomfortable.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Although I haven't been wearing a cup for more than a year, my preferred one is the nuttybuddy. I've had a couple of cups before it, and they always seem to get in the way.
Nuttybuddy on sports science: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV831oPwG8M

Well, I have to admit taking a fastball to the junk is a pretty good selling point. It's comfortable I assume?

Paul Pot posted:

I've been using the shock doctor carbon flex cup/strap for about 2 years & I'd say its decent. It's very comfortable and happened to be in the right spot whenever I needed it. Ideally you want to wear compression shorts on top of the cup&strap to restrict any possible movement especially when mixing in some grappling. I'm cheap & therefore I don't. If you insist on avoiding a jock strap because you're a weird goon, there's the expensive jaco & diamond MMA solutions..the regular compression short w/ cup pocket products don't fit secure enough when it comes to lovely kicks.

Also good to know! I probably am a weird goon but it's just a comfort thing because when I think of a "jock" I think of the g-string and as I said above, it's just really not comfortable. If it's an around the legs thing that should be fine as long as the straps don't move around too much.

My only experience with an around the leg style one was a pocket/cup/straps/shorts combo that I think was designed for hockey not mma and those straps just chafed the poo poo out of my legs. Could have also just been a bad fit too. I've never actually tried the straight up jock/leg straps though so I'm sure that's a different beast.

Either way I always wear compression shorts anyway because I don't want to ballflash everyone in class, so if I didn't have a shorts/cup combo a straight up strap seems like the best option.

Thanks guys!

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Did more sparring last night and it felt a bit like a step back unfortunately. I felt better about moving around quickly and taking hits, even being a little bit more aggressive and trying some short combos but I still ended up turtling without even thinking about it or backing away without hitting back. I don't think it's that I'm afraid of getting hit necessarily, though I might be afraid that I'll turtle again under a barrage, if you know what I mean? Just need more practice/self-confidence I imagine.

I did notice like Mewse just said though that I don't think I threw a single hook, it was 1-2 kick, 1-1-1-2 kick. I entirely forgot to clinch when under a barrage if I wasn't comfortable returning fire. On the upside, my 1-2-kick was getting pretty solid I think, at least I tagged BallsOutGuy #2 ( he growls ) a few times and got a nod from him. Meanwhile he looks like I just slapped his mother and is clocking me with over-hand left hooks ( I also felt really good about blocking them, except for one that I think jiggled my brain ). It was surreal, I sometimes wonder if I'm not aggressive enough mentally when sparring, I'm doing this for fun and to learn, not to kill someone, you know? So I'm not really experiencing any sort of aggressive emotion, I'm just trying to do what I learned.

It's frustrating to know what to do in theory, throw punch, throw kick, clinch, parry, slip, and then have it all go out the drat window when actually sparring. I'm still over-thinking a lot, I never seem to get my lead leg up for a block in time, a 50 year old woman ( we just kept moving down the line sparring with different partners every 2 minutes ) gave me a nice goose egg on my knee because of my slowness. When I eat a kick I start focusing on the legs and then get punched in the face, etc.

tl;dr I know it'll get easier with time, and it's still fun as hell, but drat it is frustrating some times!

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 12, 2012

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Striking Chat:

Sparring again last night! Have to admit I feel WAY better about my performance even just compared to Monday. I still sucked of course but I didn't feel as down about how I couldn't parry every strike and hit back with perfect form etc.

The difference is that last night most of the class sparred (instead of the usual 4 of us ) and I got to spar with people who are also total newbs. Man it is so comforting to see and hear someone in person going through the exact same issues as I am. I know you guys have mentioned all of the things I've said are totally normal but when you're only sparring against guys who constantly destroy you it's pretty rough on the ol' morale.

I even got to feel like I almost kind of knew my poo poo because I could peg another newbie and not get a 10 punch/kick combo thrown at me. I know that's false confidence but still, it was a nice little mental boost.

I still need better reactions and more general focus though - if I get 2 kicks in a row ALL I'm looking at is the legs and bam, fist in the face. Then I focus on the hands and BAM kicks to the leg/side. I'm not sure if my visual acuity is just low but it kind of feels like when I just look at the chest I can't see stuff coming as well. I suppose that could be my headgear too? I'm using this one http://www.drakosports.com/p-628-drako-vinyl-training-boxing-headgear.aspx currently.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Kekekela posted:

God I am so loving hopeless at striking. I've seriously got to learn...
a) to start circling/blocking/countering instead of just retreating when I see punches incoming.
b) to follow up kicks with something else
c) to throw combos in general
d) to quit being such a pussy and get into range where I can actually connect with punches
gently caress.

If you look at the last few posts of mine in this thread, you're not alone. Just gotta hang in there buddy! I keep retreating and/or blocking only instead of countering/parrying/circling. I'm trying a mantra now where instead of retreating on attack I just push forward. I don't want to run from hits, I want to take them if I have to and punish the other guy for it.

Easier said than done though.

I noticed when sparring with other newbs I am a LOT more confident in just pushing forward and have more fun trying things out. I guess it's just that they don't intimidate me so I'm not scared to be aggressive and take hits because I know the hits will be super light. When I'm sparring with people who seem to be barely holding back ( or just straight up intimidate me ) it makes me end up turtling, because I know if I gently caress up it's going to knock my head back not just give me a tap on the nose. The silly thing is that when I do get tagged, it doesn't hurt. There is no pain, it's just a weird feeling being hit hard even with gear on. So why the gently caress am I instinctively moving away? I'm not consciously worried it's going to hurt, I know it doesn't drat it.

A good pre-sparring exercise we did though that I plan to continue, is hold your gloves up in blocking mode and have your partner lightly punch your face a bunch ( 20 times or whatever ). Then have them hit harder for another little bit, then harder again for another bit, to hopefully reduce that "fist coming at me better back up!" instinct.

Just gotta give it time, eventually we'll be taking hits and not giving a poo poo. :unsmith:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Had another sparring session last night and holy.gently caress. it was AWESOME.

It was the first session where I just felt loving confident. I tried my mantra of "if I get pummeled, parry/block and push IN until I can clinch" and it loving worked! I went up against my arch-nemesis The Growler*TM and when he started tagging me with hooks I took that as a sign he was in close enough to pull him in and start throwing knees. Even got a lot of complements on my clinching and spinning! After that I just kept pushing, moving forward only, maybe lean back but always moving forward, throwing combos, kicks, teeps, I felt like a beast. I didn't care that I was getting hit because it meant there had to be an opening to get SOMETHING in.

That was the first round, after that with other partners I just felt invincible. Jabbing in, quick combos, clinching when I could, always pushing forward and just generally playing around and trying to have fun doing different techniques.

I swear it was like night and day, I just have to keep this up!

Now, I still have SO much work to do. I'm still eating more punches than I feel I should, I'm not parrying punches very well, I'm eating a ton of leg kicks because I'm too slow to parry, I'm not really moving around/slipping enough, my form still suffers a bit, I don't keep my hands tight enough to my face when blocking, etc. I'm not trying to be self-deprecating, I know these are all life-long goals but it's good to feel like I know what I have to improve on. It feels like I've turned a bit of a corner and I can only go up. :unsmith:

Paper Diamond - if it's any consolation, read through my posts on the last few pages, I've generally only gone up against people who are way better than me and it can be demoralizing when you don't ever get a chance to feel like you've done well or improved. I suspect I will still feel like that on occasion but the more you do something, anything, the better you will get at it. Just don't give up.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Striking Chat:

Getting more confident sparring! Feeling not as overwhelmed when I get hit with long combos, clinching more often, and actually HITTING more often! Important part about the latter - I'm getting confident actually hitting people which means I have now reached the "Sorry" phase I guess.

I don't drop a "Sorry" when punching or kicking normally, but I still feel bad if I unintentionally block a knee/kick with an elbow or another knee. I'm sure there are people that block this way intentionally to gently caress the other person up, whereas for me it is entirely an accident, and I can't help but apologize!

Everyone was like "Dude, don't worry about it" which led to more apologizing for apologizing. I relaxed a bit more, and will continue to do so, but there is something so ingrained about apologizing for hurting someone that I clearly need to work on getting over, even when it's accidental.

I'm getting better at not caring about being hit after the first round, but I admit that the first round after 4 days off I unintentionally spun in a circle to avoid getting a punch in the face. I wasn't even trying a back-fist or kick or block or anything, he went to punch me and I literally did a pirouette. :negative:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
That reminds me, years ago I stumbled across an actual "Office Self-Defense" commercial/video on Youtube. I am sure it was 100% legit, in that it wasn't created as a joke anyway, but I can NOT for the life of me find it anymore.

It was a fat dude sitting at a fake desk with blow-up furniture and he would get attacked by a guy and then throw this fake furniture around while yelling.

[edit] I just searched for it again and it's not one of those Spetznatz ones or anything, it was a super lame version starring one of those "REAL Self Defense" guys. Still can't find it.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 29, 2012

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Foot Chat:

Went to class on Saturday, did so many kicks I got blisters underneath my big toe calluses on both feet. Had to cut away all the dead skin ( 0.5cm thick ) because they popped early on I guess ( I didn't notice except for a slight bit of pain at the time ) and they were packed in with dirt and poo poo so I had to clean them out. Now I have loonie-sized patches of raw skin and am learning to walk again. :unsmith:

I had to skip class last night and am trying to figure out a way to go tomorrow night - duct tape? I know a bandaid won't actually hold, but the blisters are still too raw I think to reasonably train without some sort of protection ( like I said, still hurts to walk ).

It's my own fault, I have gigantic calluses on my toes in general because of my flat feet, and my podiatrist told me I have to shave them down 2-3 times a week after the last time this happened. There is just something really unappealing about sitting down to grate a callus off like a nasty block of cheese ( :barf: ) but I suppose now I am paying for the alternative.

Remember to take care of your feet everyone, they're pretty important.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Foot Chat posted:

What to cover blisters with

Sweet thanks guys! I might try one of those Second Skin/New Skin things + some duct tape just for good measure. Trip report on Thursday!

Illumination posted:

I just ordered some bag gloves the other day, so what are some tips for maintaining gloves so they don't smell like an rear end in a top hat after the first month?

I've never had an issue with my current longest running pair ( only I think 4 months now so probably not long enough to really judge ) but I wipe them down ( inside and out ) with one of those all natural cleaning wipes ( hippy Lysol wipes ) and then try and spread them open to air out for as long as possible, after every time I use them. They don't really dry things out like your standard Lysol/Clorox ones so the vinyl doesn't crack at all, and my gloves always smell like lemons. :3:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Glove Chat:

Sharing your personal gloves. There have been a few cases where a total newb is joining the class and the club is out of spares, when I am partnered with them the inevitable question comes up - "Can I borrow yours?". I agree because it's not their fault and I want to encourage them to come again/know that we're good people. Inside though I shudder because I *hate* sharing sweaty gloves, it's one of the many reasons I bought my own! This happened last night and the guy was cool but sweaty as gently caress, it's so nasty putting your gloves on and feeling foreign sweat pooling about your fingers. I haven't ever had to share them twice in a row with the same person, and it's only happened a few times, but I'm torn between trying to be nice / not a clean freak sperglord and also trying not to gross myself out.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

mewse posted:

That's really gross and your gym should be lending gloves to the new people rather than relying on your magnanimity

I agree, but for whatever reason when this happens the newbies have joined in waves ( as in 5+ on the same day ) and it always seems to happen when I'm their partner and when we are out of spares ( because they're all being used ). I just want to start training rather than waiting for someone to dig an old old pair up from the back closet, so I suppose it's also my fault for letting my impatience trump my revulsion at someone other dudes sweat. There seems to have been some sort of supply issue where the owner has been waiting weeks for new gear for the shop, so hopefully we'll be flush with spares again by the end of the week.

At least I know I'm not crazy and being some stuck up dick for not wanting to share my gloves ( even though I do on occasion anyway ) though, thanks!

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I only train on average 2x a week for 1.5 hours. Occasionally it'll be 3 times if I go on the Saturday class.

I'm really not old ( 31 ) but I just don't have any more time/energy than that, what with work, social activities, and wanting to see my fiancee on a regular basis. With a 9-5 job and class starting at 7, by the time I get out of work, commute home, eat in 5 minutes and head out the door again, that leaves me with ( after showering/getting back from class ) ~1 hour before I go to sleep again. I just don't have the energy to do that more than twice in a work week - which is why the weekend classes are nice.

I admit I envy you guys that can go 5+ times a week, I know that the more you do something ( anything ) the better you get at it, especially when it is something cumulative like a martial art. When I first started I was almost a little fanatic that I go to literally every single class available, but it just started burning me out.

However I like to think this is a life-long endeavour/hobby, and I'm not aiming to become a pro fighter or anything, and I'm not on some sort of timeline ( must be at X level by Y date ) so I suppose in that sense it accomplishes exactly what I want - Exercise, Challenging myself, Hitting, Getting hit.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Got cock-punched twice while sparring last night for some reason. My NuttyBuddy can't arrive soon enough.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
CUP CHAT:

Finally got my NuttyBuddy! I haven't worn a cup in a LONG time though so I guess I might as well ask what feels like an embarrassing question on the internet.

How do I know if it...fits properly? It is quite snug, the frank and beans seem to just fit in ( the left/right sides of the cup are flush with my crotch ) but when I've got it placed between the compression shorts & jock it either seems like it might be too high, or too low. I tried punching myself in the junk a few times and it almost felt like it pinched a little bit at the left and right edges. However I don't know if I'm just being paranoid/unsure of what it's SUPPOSED to feel like.

Granted this was with my old compression shorts so I guess it could be they are weirdly designed/don't fit me properly anyway, so I'm going to try again tonight with the actual NuttyBuddy branded ones I got just because I needed a new pair anyway.

Anyway, I don't know if it's supposed to be about as snug as it can get or if I should be able to fit everything in not unlike an over-sized fruit bowl. I can only go one more size up which is meant for 210+ lbs ( I'm only 187 ) so I think that that is way too big. Otherwise my only option is to try something other than a NuttyBuddy. :smith:

[edit to add] I did try a few kicks and a short warm-up with it in and it really was quite comfortable at that point, I didn't even really notice it was there. It was just actually striking it/myself didn't quite feel 100% like I thought it would.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 17, 2012

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Trip Report - NuttyBuddy is awesome! My issues I mentioned must have been due to my old lovely compression shorts positioning my junk in a way that doesn't jive with a jock/cup. It's amazing what a piece of plastic on your crotch can do, I feel like Superman when I wear this thing! "Go on, TRY and cock punch me! I don't even care!"

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Strike Chat:

Sparring last night we did hands only, in-close, and holy gently caress. I have what I can only assume are bruised ribs for the first time in my life and a new appreciation for body shots. The uppercuts & hooks didn't phase me because I felt like I blocked them really well, the rib shots loving killed me though. Never felt anything like that before, it was like all the muscles in/around my ribs on the left side spasmed, hurt to breathe. It's better now, though still sore if I take a deep breath or twist my torso, so I know I didn't crack a rib or something, but drat.

The guy was pretty clearly far more advanced, kept cracking them in because I guess he could tell I wasn't guarding my sides very well. I was probably almost a foot taller so he kept finding a way to my ribs that I just couldn't seem to block - or maybe because I've spent so much time practising blocking headshots/kicks that I just suck at getting a proper body block on. I couldn't get my elbow low enough, probably because I was still trying to keep my hands up by my temples like I'm used to instead of a boxing-friendly chin level.

Lesson learned though, I hope. I need to tighten up my blocks ( in general really, not just body ) and speed up my punching. I got him with a few good uppercuts in particular, but it was like: right body hook...(3 seconds)...left hook...(3 seconds)...right uppercut (3 seconds)... Whereas he was just a flurry of punches, probably 5+ BAMBAMBAMBAMBAM in the same amount of time I was throwing 2.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Xguard86 posted:

if your doing close up only and you're the taller guy then yep that is exactly how its going to go. I only boxed for a few months but still managed to feel that joy. its hard to defend your body if you're taller, your arms just dont cover as well and the shorter guy has a direct view at your poor floating ribs.

On the other side of the coin, you can jab people to death all day and sometimes sneak in a nice cross because you have longer arms than they're used to handling.

Well, it's somewhat comforting to know it wasn't ENTIRELY because I sucked. I definitely wasn't holding my arms in tight enough towards the end though I guess because I was gassed. He was also good at tagging me when I went on the offense as well.

Kumo Jr. posted:

You may find some success by bending at the knees a bit more, and/or dipping to the side that the strike is coming towards.

I definitely need to do this too, I was pretty sloppy with my dipping and wasn't really bending at the knees enough.

kimbo305 posted:

Were you allowed to tie up? That's good practice in general, but maybe it wasn't allowed.

We weren't no, tie'ing up/clinch/knees is normally my go to when I get close. I suppose it was less like sparring and more like a full contact drill. Heads always had to be touching, no jab's/crosses. If in the heat of things you back up, you could throw a quick combo at distance but had to close within a few seconds and get head-to-head again.

It was a good lesson to focus on my inner game, and I straight up told the guy I suck at my close game so all things considered he went pretty light on me. I'm so used to trying to use my reach that when I'm forced to stay in close it felt really foreign.

Growing pains I guess. :unsmith:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

attackmole posted:

Crossposted to the tattoo thread:

I'm getting the inside of my left bicep done up tomorrow. I typically kickbox three times a week or so. How long should I take off/go no contact to let it heal? I'm not a grappler or anything so I'm not rubbing it up against anyone. I figure any contact to my inner bicep is gonna be accidental and doesn't happen much, so I'm hoping that I'll only have to drop a week or so. Anyone have any experience with this?

You should always listen to your artist first and foremost, if only because if your work gets hosed up or needs touch-ups you are absolved. They only want what is best for your tattoo ( and you, I guess ).

That said, IMO, it depends on your body and how fast you heal really and/or how lucky you feel. Admittedly my own artist would yell at me for even talking about this because he would say "don't do poo poo for at least 2 weeks".

For sure I wouldn't personally do any sort of martial art until the scabs are coming off, simply due to risk of infection. Even if you're not getting hit there, being in a sweaty environment with other people, you are inevitably going to get *something* touching it - even if it's you absent-mindedly brushing it against your sweaty shirt.

I've gotten work done and gone to the gym ( just to lift/cardio ) 2 days after which is about the only time immediately after I'm comfortable going and it's dumb because all artists would tell you that avoiding sweating is important - though I haven't personally had any issues, I might just be lucky. There's a sort of period between first getting it, it drying ( it really shouldn't be weeping or oozing longer than the first 24 hours ), and it scabbing where you don't really need to worry as much about infection because the skin is sealed. Obviously you do NOT want to train in any fashion, gym or otherwise, when it is actually scabbed over because tearing/cracking scabs = scars = your new work looks like poo poo.

For me, the time from work done -> scabs off = 5-7 days, so I typically only have to take a week off and often will work out once 2-3 days immediately after when the skin has dried right before the scabs start. I don't personally see any reason to not train after the scabs have come off, I mean, it's in your skin, physical manipulation ( grappling ) or sweating isn't going to leech out ink or anything. Your only concern would be that you just got this new ink and if some dick doesn't cut his nails and gives you a nasty slash it's gonna look like poo poo - but that would happen regardless of new work or not.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Strike Chat:

I'm feeling a LOT more confident in my sparring, I keep a very fast pace and am getting more precise with my strikes and slipping/parrying much better. Naturally I still have a lot to work on, so it's time to ask for more advice!

Problem 1) I get upper-body tunnel-vision. It's like I forget entirely about defending my legs and just eat kick after kick. Then I realize that and start focusing on my legs more and then get tagged by punches. Is this one of those "you just get better at it" kind of things or is there something I could try to better (remember to) protect my legs? I wonder if it's because when we're sparring I know that with padding and that people aren't trying to kill eachother, I don't really care if I eat a kick. It doesn't actually affect me, I just ignore it and keep going. Punches are different because you really notice when you've been hit solid in the head but the kicks I am not concerned about at all.

Problem 2) As a taller guy ( for my class, I'm only 6'3" ) I need to use my reach more. I get told this universally and regularly - I need to focus on my jab, straight, teeps, and roundhouses more to use my reach to my advantage. This also would help my leg defense since I'd have more time and space to react. I think one of the reasons I keep forgetting this is that I always want to do a big combo and/or work my way in closer for a clinch/knee bonanza. So I suppose this might be better phrased as "what should my goal be?" I feel like I should be working to get in close enough to clinch as my primary goal, all the time, every time. However it seems like other people are telling me I should focus on keeping my distance as my primary goal, everything else is secondary. Which is it? I'm sure the answer is "both", so does that mean I should generally keep my distance but try to close if I think I see an opening/can get in close quickly and efficiently? Or does it depend on the context? I know that keeping distance is a good goal for say, a tournament, or a point-based match and that cumulative strikes is the way to win. So maybe I'm confusing things by wanting to "end the match" quickly?

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 14, 2012

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Novum posted:

I'm not a very good teacher, I'll admit, but I'm a pretty experienced striker so take my advice as you will.

1. I've never understood the tunnel vision thing in this context. It's really easy to watch your opponents entire body with your peripheral vision. Mostly what you need to be aware of is hip movement and body movement. If you can watch for all the tell tale signs you can react with plenty of time to spare to both kicks and punches. Also, don't do that stupid 'look where your attention actually is' stuff. That's obviously a dead give-away, maybe that's why when you're looking for kicks you get punched and vice versa.

2. Use your range if you've got it. You might want to get in close and do your thing, maybe you're even awesome in the clinch, but you have to consider that you're taking an advantage away from yourself by doing so. Fight on the outside to minimize chances to get hit or countered and when they inevitably make a bold attempt to get inside your range (because that's where they can do damage to you) as they move in, you move in too and close the gap so you're in clinch range. Tie them up, finish them off, do whatever you do, and be good at disengaging if it's not going your way. Always remember to cover your exit with a jab to keep them at distance. In general try to keep that distance advantage.

1. I'm not sure if it is mental tunnel-vision ( as in, I just get extremely focused on what the upper body is doing and "forget" about their lower body ) or if it's maybe a product of my headgear. This is what I'm using: http://www.drakosports.com/p-646-drako-leather-training-boxing-headgear.aspx and it definitely limits my peripheral vision. I'll throw it on tonight and just see if that's what's happening and I just don't realize it. It does feel like I have to move my head though to see what their legs are doing. Again though, could be mental.

2. Noted! I guess I just have always felt like my goal is to get into a clinch and that the distance stuff was just to facilitate that. I should be thinking of it more as trying to take advantages when I see them, right? Distance as I can then if they step into THEIR range I either back out, or try to punish them by closing the gap?

Guilty posted:

Usually this can get fixed by widening your stance. A large part of the time, when someone doesn't just auto check a kick it's because doing so would throw them off balance, or they can't block and return to neutral fast enough due to balance. Which explains why you have to drag focus from upper body to lower body, etc. You're consciously reminding yourself to correct for the block. Which is fine when you're starting, but only for like the first 2 or 3 months. Widen your stance, and try to 'sit' down more. If you're blocking and feeling like you're going up even more from a standing up straight position, you're doing it wrong. You should feel like you're going to almost stand up straight, but not quite.

The problem here isn't really your strategy, but just a fundamental problem that will take time to overcome, and that is you don't know how to manipulate distance in a match. This is something that can't really be trained, but rather you just have to spar a ton and experience it. All you have to do is make sure that every point of impact you are fully extended with your weight behind each hit, and you can't do much more than that. Don't stuff your punches, and don't remain perfectly in your opponent's range. your height is actually about average, I don't know what weight you are at, but it's not really going to give you that much of a distance advantage unless you're fighting at the 70kg or under division. Just be very mindful of ranges, and make sure to either keep them at your ideal distance or close instantaneously breast to breast. Keeping your opponent at the medium distance makes for very sloppy and ineffective fighting (uppercuts, elbows, and long knees are pretty much the only effective weapons for such a distance)

I'll definitely try to sit more. To be honest I don't think it's that I'm worried about balance when checking, I think it's that I either can't see the kick coming or I'm so focused on when *I* am doing ( and what their upper-body is doing ) that I don't really realize until after the kick has happened. I think in general I need to practice checking faster though, there are times where I simply don't get my leg up fast enough.

Second part definitely hits home, I don't think I'm very good at using/judging distance. I tend to wade in and if they come in as well then I stay there, I guess keeping us at "medium-range" ( for me ), if they keep stuffing my clinch attempts. I'll try to keep it either one or the other - distance or clinch, no inbetween if I can help it. I'd never really considered that aspect!

Paul Pot posted:

Try to immediately follow up their kick with one of your own. This will force you to remain in the correct stance & you should automatically begin to check more kicks the more you spar that way. It would probably help if your sparring partners actually knew how to kick because I'm not buying the "kicks don't affect me" from a beginner.

6'3 is definitely more than "about average", that's frail/unathletic if you're under 80kg. Focus on straight punches for your "big combo". Fighting at a distance doesn't mean running away, it means that your opponent needs to take an extra little step to reach you, which you should exploit. Knee bonanza isn't the primary goal of an intelligent fighter, only Tong Po does that.

I'll try immediately returning kicks too. Now that you mention it that is one thing the more experienced guys always do, almost every time.

As for kicks not affecting me, I don't think it's a product of form so much as my partners are just holding back. Nowadays since there was a big influx of other beginners I tend to not spar with the advanced guys as often. Next session I'll straight up ask everyone to go full power with kicks and then we'll see what's up. It's funny because when I started posting about sparring originally I was bemoaning that I was the only newb and it was depressing always getting my poo poo stuffed, now I'm starting to wish I could go back and only spar with people way better than me. Never satisfied.

Also noted about distance not equal to running away - that may be part of it. When I was first sparring I WAS running away essentially, so I could have started associating distance with cowardice and went in the opposite direction.

As far as weight: I'm 84kg right now, though I am now trimming down after bulking up a bit last year so I'll probably drop another kilo or 3 depending how seriously I take it. Anyway - in my class there is only 1 person who is taller than me by maybe 1" or so ( he also probably has 10kg of muscle on me too ), everyone else I have a several inch height advantage.

I guess I don't know about reach, my limbs are long but not freakishly so. Granted, this is just at my gym, ideally I would be trying to have a broad style that would be applicable regardless of the height of my opponent in whatever sort of match I'm in. I don't think I'll be ready for a tournament any time soon though so I've never really considered weight classes.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 15, 2012

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Seabreeze posted:

Hey, anyone here do any FMA (Filipino MA)? I just started practicing a branch of Kali Ilustrisimo called Bahad Zubu.

Pretty fun and I'm pleased so far by the emphasis on sparring and relatively basic attacks/defenses.

I did FMA for ~2 years, we generally referred to it as "Kali" though it was one of those things where we would focus on ALL of the SE Asian Island arts, Arnis for a few weeks, then P'Kal for a few weeks, mish-mashing where appropriate, then say a few weeks of Pekiti-Tirsia mixed in with blade work from Pencak Silat and so on ). There was a Dog Brother's class on the weekends as well if you were so inclined. Keep in mind the following is just my experience, it may not be yours or anyone else's.

It was fun and you feel like a kung-fu master in a very short time. However, the only people that I saw who had been doing it for years and years were into it more for the ART ( and it can be beautiful ) and not the "practical" application. The head instructor was about as legit as it gets with Pekiti-Tirsia/FMA ( trained under Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje, jr & Dan Inosanto ) and would always say that it's more about learning the reflexes, the muscle memory, and appreciating the beauty of all SE Asian arts.

That is where I faltered and why I ended up quitting. I didn't feel there was any real or practical application for the art, that I was willing to use anyway. The sparring isn't "live" - even if you take into account Dog Brothers ( and years of training ), because you're NOT using an actual weapon. Every "sparring" session you do is with the knowledge that you are using a plastic or dull knife ( or stick ). You KNOW that if you gently caress up you might get a bruise at worst. Even the instructors, however "legit" they are, likely haven't ever been in a real knife-fight or had to defend themselves. Per that video posted it's all "theory", they are doing what they were taught. The only real solution I could think is if you use those Electric knives that simulate being slashed - they had only just come out at the time though and were quite expensive. So sparring devolved into choreography, fun and bad-rear end looking, but it was choreography none-the-less.

Finally I started to think about real-world application as it pertained to me, self-defense, and I felt it lacking as well because the entire art was built around a time and people where killing and being killed was a common occurrence, a part of the culture. If someone pulls a knife on me, I would rather run or give them money than try to be Jason Bourne. There is also so much focus on counter-counter-counter-counter moves, much like JJ/BJJ, only again, in what actual situation am I going to need to know the 10th counter-move from an initial swing by some crazy gently caress who is trying to stab me? How often am I going to run into a serious FMA practictioner who is trying to rob me? What if, in real life, my training turns out to be totally useless because the guy isn't following the choreography I learned?

The only actual useful non-lethal application I found was grip breaking.

Granted after watching that Irvine video where he describes his home invasion, I can see the merit of learning the reflexes. However I think if that is the goal, self-defense, you should focus on a legit Self Defense/Krav Maga school instead. No flowery dancing, just pure efficiency.

That's why I went to Muay Thai - It's a much more simplified set of moves ( not saying easy, just there are fewer of them ) that you can spend a life-time on perfecting - but you can still perform the basic moves from the very beginning. There is "live" sparring/training. You can go to tournaments and fights where you use the skills you've learned. In basic self-defense situations ( no weapons ) you could in theory block ( or take ) a punch and/or disable someone without killing them, or gently caress them up if it really came down to it.

FMA is just like Wing Chun - it looks cool as hell but does it actually work? How do you "prove" some of the techniques without literally killing someone?

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

entris posted:

I did FMA for several years. I would say that FMA is much more "reality-tested" than Wing Chun. I would agree with some of your points, though. You might be interested in reading these articles.

Yeah true, I suppose at least with FMA there ARE things like Dog Brothers where you can try to use the skills/weapons as you've been tought. Funny about those articles, they are actually part of what made me shift my perspective when I started to be come less enamoured with FMA and I couldn't really put a finger on why. Before reading them I hadn't really thought about things like the legality of stabbing someone in "self-defense", escalation of a situation, how someone would REALLY attack with a knife, etc. It made me consider my own training, why I was doing it and what I was expecting.

• Locked thread