Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Devil Wears Pravda posted:

Total newb question here, and sorry if it is super-dumb (I'm not too good at computing) -- I just downloaded blocknews and everything and am up and running (successful downloads), yet I set this up while I was at a different location from my home (different ISP and IP address). When I get back to my house and try to download again, will the different IP address and ISP cause me any problems requiring some change in setup?

You should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Devil Wears Pravda posted:

Does the fact that the information I'm downloading have names that represent exactly what the files are cause any concern from a monitoring standpoint? Is there a way or should I be changing the names of the info that I download in order to protect my privacy?

Again, I am TOTALLY new to all of this, and am rather excited about the prospect of being able to get information with some semblance of privacy (at least the OP says this, correct)?

Just make sure that you are using SSL and you are good to go.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Right now I have Sickbeard, CouchPotato, and Headphones working fine, except one thing I want to change.

I have a dedicated media downloading PC running SABnzbd and the above programs. When finished, CouchPotato automatically moves and processes files to my NAS, which is mapped as a network drive. I have a different network drive for Sick Beard files, and a different one for Headphones.

How can I get Sick Beard to do this as well? Basically, I have:

D:\finished\usenet\tv\<Show Name>\<Season>\ structure after post processing by Sick Beard. I want this to be

Z:\tv\<Show Name>\<Season>\

Just put the default TV directory as Z:\tv\ and all new shows will be moved there automatically once you add them.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

ambushsabre posted:

What do you guys recommend in the way of VPNs? It may be a little outside the scope of this thread, but how do they affect the speed of usenet downloads and normal internet usage?

I used Vyprvpn for awhile and I didn't notice a slowdown at all for both usenet and for normal everyday usage.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

MarshallX posted:

No Newzbin English filter in CP = hello 20 movies that just downloaded in German/French/Russian.

drat it.

A lot of times movies have 2 audio tracks with one being English and the other being German/French/Russian. Check to see if it has multiple audio tracks.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Edit: No More Invites

Burden fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 11, 2012

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I use notify my android, works very well with sick beard.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

tonic posted:

Are DMCAs just getting way faster? I have supernews with a block account back up. Sick beard using dog, .su, .in, amongst others.

HBO shows almost always fail, John Oliver has never downloaded properly.

What am I doing wrong? Switch to nzbdrone?

I don't have any issues really. I use news demon and no backup servers. Maybe have Sickbeard search faster? I have mine set for search every 10 minutes.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

So Couchpotato seems to have crapped out on me again. I need something that will rename the files that CP would normally handle so that Plex can pick them up. Ideally, it would offer an interface for automatic searches, but I'm will to do my own search if there's a SABNzbd script that will do the job.

SAB renames my movie files for me. Just add a movies category to SAB and enable movie sorting.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

prom candy posted:

What's the best provider if I just want monthly unlimited bandwidth (or at least a ton of bandwidth). With the conversion rate Giganews is ridiculously expensive.

I've been happy with Super News for 10 bucks. https://www.supernews.com/super-special/

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Dongattack posted:

Anyone got a Plex home server running sabnzbd, sonarr, radar, etc? Which OS did you use for it?

I'm using Linux Mint for Sabnzb and sickbeard.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Looking for a cheap TB block. If anyone sees a deal please post it. The poor retention on NewsGroupDirect is really showing. I signed up for a free 10gb block on Usenet.Farm and it instantly filled in the missing blocks. Time to jump from NGD I guess but I hate wasting the rest of my annual unlimited plan.

Usenet prime has 1TB for :10bux:
https://usenetprime.com/portal/cart.php?gid=4

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Usenet express is having a sale 4 years unlimited to $95.
https://members.usenetexpress.com/signup/?coupon=LEAPYEAR

Or 1 year for $29.
https://members.usenetexpress.com/signup/?coupon=LEAP1YR

Just saw it on reddit.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

NewsDemon is having a sale for the next month with specials changing every week according to the Reddit post for their 15 year anniversary.

This week's deals are
Unlimited + VPN for 7 months for $15
Unlimited + VPN for $3 a month
Unlimited + VPN for 12 months for $29.95
1TB non expiring block for $7

Deal link

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Tanbo posted:

For those who want an alternative, or just another request method, there's another released a while ago, Requestrr. https://github.com/darkalfx/requestrr
https://i.imgur.com/zrb5i4j.png

Similar to Ombi, just discord bot based. Can interface with Ombi using users already setup or it's own, or directly with Radarr/Sonarr. It's an easy way to request without opening ports or firing up a VPN.

Does this allow you to approve what gets downloaded first or does it just send it to Radarr and Sonarr? I like to put shows and movies in certain folders and put certain settings on TV shows and movies depending on what they are.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm a stickler for quality and I've never had a problem with 1080p webrips on a 65" 4k tv. I would say use the release profiles posted towards the top of this page and set the quality to 1080p.

However, looking through the 4K offerings, I am noticing that they are being released more frequently, and a number of them have HDR. Is there a way to tell Sonarr to download an episode in 4K ONLY if it has "HDR" in the title, and otherwise prefer 1080p?

If you are still on version 2 of Sonarr and go to the indexers tab, at the bottom is restrictions. Add HDR as the must contain and I would use HDR as the tag as well. Then when you add a series (but not add and search), and go into it, click the wrench to edit series, add your HDR tag, and then tell it to search. It won't auto 1080p though in version 2.

I'm pretty sure the new version of Sonarr does exactly what you are saying, but I have not messed with it yet.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

So I just got v3 of Sonarr and I had a question about the release profiles. If I set h265, hevc, and X265 at say 10 and X264 and h264 at a 1, would it download the 264 if it was available first, and then when the HEVC/265 becomes available it would download that after?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

alexandriao posted:

Ok so I have a bit of a conundrum. If this isn't the right place to post this, or if this shouldn't be posted on these here forums at all, pm me and I'll strike the post down like the wrath of hell (probes scare me :ohdear:)

I was doing a nice comfy watchfest with my friends of a show, that i had torrented onto my VPS. I got dmca'd and accordingly removed the content, but I have a strike against my account now. I and my friends have been getting pretty depressed since we can't watch those shows together now, because I don't want to get kicked off my provider, and I'm not really sure how to set things up now.

I figure I have three options for proceeding:

• Somehow set it up to run the traffic through my VPN -- every time I've tried this the internet to the server broke entirely.
  • Use a seedbox, transfer the files over to the VPN -- most cheap (sub $5) seedboxes don't ignore dmcas, the ones I've found say they'll remove the account if too many are had, this is the same situation I'm in now.
  • Pivot to Usenet for pulling stuff down.

Given the difficulties I've had from the first two options, Usenet is looking pretty attractive. I don't mind shelling out $15/yr + a small monthly charge, and I don't require anything more than 500GiB download, really. These are small 720p/420p files (Preferably they're h264+aac before I download, but I could run an ffmpeg job on them during the week to fix that). I've tried to do research on these options but the information on the internet is scattered, and it's difficult to find anything reliable.

From what I can tell my vps provider doesn't really filter traffic (I'm happy to disclose who it is as long as that doesn't violate any of the rules here :ohdear:), so do yall think Usenet would be a good option here?

Yeah usenet will work fine. You are in luck as this seems like a good time to get started You'll need to get a server. Right now Eweka has a deal for €2.99 a month which is under $4.00 US. They are highly regarded and have really good retention. If you won't be downloading a lot you can also look into block accounts where you purchase a set amount of data to download and it doesn't expire.
Next you will need a good indexer NZBgeek is open again, but they are only using crypto for payment at the moment but they say are opening up other payment options shortly.
After you get those two you just need to figure out what application you want to use (Sabnzbd or Nzbget) to download from Usenet and if you want to automate the downloads.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

alexandriao posted:

Is there a good alternative to thecubenet with the same pricing range and coverage? Previously I paid a fiver for about 25 gig, and that just ran out so I just shelled out another 8 quid for a 50 gig block. Both times I've had problems with login/password and had to contact support, which were nice but the entire thing is pretty lovely. I was hoping to do some downloading tonight on my server for a movie night tomorrow, and unless their support works weekends there's basically no chance of that happening now :smith:

I do also have a blocknews account but it's not really getting many hits for this specific thing

I use Tweak News as a backup and have been happy. €7 for 50 gigs. They also have a trial for 7 days on recurring plans if you want to try them out first.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Xaris posted:

Okay I'm kind of at my wits end here. I've got Plex running on my Synology NAS all hooked up with sonarr/radarr/sabnzbg/etc and generally playing content on my LG CX oled. Starting around maybe about 9 months ago a lot of releases have started playing with green-purple hues all over everything (and if I try to watch Plex on my PC, I get "Color Space Not Supported"). I can't tell from Sonarr/Radarrs file listing what exactly is causing it but it appears to be related to Dolby Vision although it's usually not marked in file names. I've had to go through about 10 different downloads to find one that finally worked. I didn't use to have an issue with HDR content so this is really something that's only sprung up recently and no idea why HDR suddenly is loving everything up?

What the gently caress do I need to blacklist from NZBHydra/*arr programs, or is there any way to fix my LG CX/Plex such that DV content plays without it all being colored purple/green? I guess I could force requiring "SDR" in title but even that doesnt meant every listing will have it or not have it; and I kinda liked having HDR working before.

Are the files 10Bit? That caused a lot of issues for my users and blocking 10Bit helped.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Picked up that Frugal deal for $37 a year this morning. Switching off of Super news and tweaknews as my backup. Hopefully it's good with the bonus backups.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

cr0y posted:

What's the "proper" way to deal with shows that are reported to TVDB(?) In the format SeasonYearExx as opposed to SeasonEXx (ie the "season" is a 4 digit year instead of a two digit season starting at 01). Sonarr has no idea how to search for these things and it's rare enough that I never learned how to contend with it.

I hope that question is clear and someone knows what I mean.

Is it a show that airs daily by chance? If it is, when you add the show to Sonarr change the series type from Standard to daily and that should fix the issue.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

So is NZBget still the go-to for *arr downloading? I notice that there doesn't seem to be much ongoing development on it.

Development has ended on NZBget. I saw that a few days ago on Reddit. NZBget still works fine, but SABnzbd is the only one I know of at the moment that is still in development.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has anyone had an issue with Sonarr just randomly picking old seasons to set to monitored out of nowhere? Every day it’s doing a couple and I have no idea why. Luckily it’s just a case of me checking the Wanted pane and unflagging.

Also that trakt.tv outage the other week completely killed all my automated lists and I didn’t notice. Doh! A flood of bad tv and movies today after I fixed it at least ha.

Looks like it is a known issue. I have had it as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonarr/comments/zxjnsr/sonarr_showing_incomplete_seasons_or_episodes/

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Tremors posted:

If I already have nzbgeek is there a recommended indexer to complement it?

I use Drunkenslug along with NZBgeek and I seem to be able to get everything I need. Slug is a little bit nicer if you are actually using the website to search. It appears to me that NZBgeek does better when I want something not 4K in HEVC encoding.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Taima posted:

Fair points for sure.

Don't get me wrong Sonaar is extremely good, but is there any way to increase its accuracy?

One thing that has helped with accuracy a lot is having the year in the folder and episode naming structure.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Drunkenslug registration is open if anyone needs a good indexer. Between Drunkenslug and Geek I am pretty well covered. I also prefer the actual search on Drunkenslug over geek if I have to manually search for something.

https://drunkenslug.com/register

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Looks like both Drunkenslug and Ninja Central have registration open if anyone needs a new indexer. I got Ninja Central a few months ago and it works great. I have had Drunkenslug for a few years and it works great as well.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Here is my usage with Ninja having it for a couple of months. Geek is my number one used indexer by far. But Slug and Ninja are pretty much tied for second in terms of successful grabs.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Looks like Black Friday deals are starting to come out for providers and indexers. Reddit has a good stickied thread on r/usenet .

I am waiting to see what Frugal puts out as that is my primary server, but I will jump on that Drunken Slug deal. Hopefully geek puts out something as well.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

tonic posted:

what would be the best block server to pair with Newsdemon for maximum availability?

looking to take advantage of a Black Friday deal...

I haven't seen a lot of deals for block accounts but you will need either an Omicron (Blocknews) or Abavia (Bulknews) or Usenet Farm server.

I have Blocknews and Usenet Farm. Looks like usenet farm has a deal for 50% off 2 blocks and Bulknews has 6tb for 36 euros. Don't see a deal from Blocknews.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I use both DS and Geek. Both are good and very similar, but DS has better actual search on their website in my opinion over geek. If you are using automation geek is good as it is cheaper than DS for API hits (unlimited on geek for $12 a year on geek vs 25€ or $27 US for DS for unlimited). Looking at my recent queries in Sonarr, Geek was used more than DS for what that is worth.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Jel Shaker posted:

ah geekzb is dead? says go to the discord for more info but gently caress that, i’m too old to know what a discord is

If you are talking about NZBgeek they were having some issues with one of their storage providers. Looks like it is back up and running.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

diremonk posted:

If I already have accounts on Geek, Slug, and .su, is it worth renewing my premium membership on NinjaCentral? Prowlarr shows it is my third most successful indexer, but I'm not sure if it is worth the renewal.

I have found geek and ninja to be fairly similar when I have to manually search. I would try without it and see if you can't get what you need in your other indexers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

PitViper posted:

I had not heard about the backend change on Frugal Usenet/Blocknews until today, but it suddenly explains the enormous numbers of failed grabs I've had in the last few weeks. What's a good recommendation for a block provider to supplement for the next few months? I used to keep a Tweaknews block in addition to Farm, but Frugal made my Farm block somewhat redundant.

I'm in the same boat as you but I had bought a 500 GB block on ThunderNews on Black Friday. It uses usenet express as its backbone. I've used 6 GB this month and a total of about 20 GB since November.