Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
What kind of setups are you using with SABnzbd & SlickBeard? Are you all downloading to a NAS and then using a GoogleTV/AppleTV/Whatever lightweight frontend to connect to your TV and stream it from the NAS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Lemons posted:

A few people I know run it all on one box by the TV. I prefer to have a dedicated server cranking away in my garage, while a nice quiet machine streams it. Otherwise it's too noisy and I can't put that machine to sleep when I'm not watching anything. Plus having a home server is just too handy.

Yeah I'm much more in favor of this method as well. I'm looking to get a small set-top box that can stream content from a server located somewhere else, but I want to get something with a strong enough GPU that I can have a nice front-end and be able to pump out 1080p.

Hence why I've been thinking about a GoogleTV setup. But maybe thats overkill? inpheaux is using the Zotac box, Lemons is using a HTPC, paradigmm what shitbox are you using? (After this I'll stop the derail, sorry!)

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
What is the difference between the CouchPotato and the CouchPotatoServer repositories?

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Laserface posted:

Free-Usenet.com has another 2 for 1 block account deal going.

How is free-usenet.com as a provider? Their pricing is so much cheaper than blocknews.net's pricing, why is that?

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Oldstench posted:

Is the OP still fairly accurate for getting into all this?

Please keep in mind I'm stupid and need poo poo explicitly spelled out for me.

Generally yes except use nzbget instead of sabnzbd

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
No invite discussion please. If you're looking for that sort of thing try this: https://discord.gg/5nmezkt

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Laserface posted:

I use free-usenet blocks. They run 2 for 1 terabytes a few times a year.

With my current usage I have about 3 years of prepaid data to use for about $60.

Why would anyone use an unlimited account? With block accounts you pay ~$0.01 per GB in a 500GB block, and unlimited is ~$10/mo. It would take 1TB/mo+ to recoup that cost with a unlimited monthly account.

edit: math

salted hash browns fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
Whoops, extra zero. Updated, here is the math I meant:

$5 for 500GB at UsenetExpress = $0.01/GB
$10/mo unlimited
1TB/mo

Point taken, I can't imagine 100s of GB/mo :)