Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New to Usenet. At least since 1994 or so when I posted about paintball.

So is the provider list in the OP still accurate? Any of them better than others? I also have the Xfinity 1TB cap and my idiot kids chew a ton of it up with stupid-rear end Netflix TV shows, so I won't be chugging through 5TB/month or anything.

e: Neat, I found an unlimited "promo" on newshosting for $100 annually, or $8.33/month:
https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?package=92

I assume this is a good deal, considering their standard 50GB tier is $10/month?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sedative posted:

You can get ThunderNews for $3.50 a month. They resell Newshosting https://www.thundernews.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2019001

You should wait until the Black Friday deals before buying a yearly subscription. You may be able to get that same Newshosting deal for $20-30 yearly. There will also be deals on block accounts which might be good for you if you're not going to be downloading a crazy amount.

Goddamn, that’s a good deal! I was about to buy the yearly if I didn’t see any replies, so thanks for that. I’ll do a month then see if they have anything cheaper for Black Friday.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got everything set up via SABnzbd. Works great, but I rip through downloads and the post-processing takes a damned eternity on a local platter HDD. I have a massive backlog of poo poo it needs to process and each item seems to take a few hours each for 2-4GB files.

Looking at task manager, it seems my HDD is being maxed out and hardly anything on my Ivy Bridge CPU. I assume grabbing an SSD would speed things up on the post-processing end?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, a SSD would be fast, although that seems unusually long, even for a hard disk. I have my usenet stuff setup on a VM and the unpacking is done on the VM (which is using a 2TB HD for its datastore) and then it moves it to my NAS afterwards. That VM is limited to 2GB of ram and 2 cores maximum on an AMD FX-8300 so it's pretty anemic. I have large unpacks take a few minutes but never hours. It may be some weird config issue but definitely check your HD health with crystal disk info and check how much it's reading and writing when its busy. If you're in windows you can use the resource monitor in windows 10 to check what processes are using a lot of the disk.

Yeah I do the processing on this local disk, then have it copy to my NAS as well.

The platter disk it’s using was one I replaced from my NAS. It had started to throw a few SMART errors, but nothing insane. It very well could be (and probably is) bad disk health, so replacing it would be good anyway. I don’t store anything important on it, so I haven’t been too speedy at replacing it.

Just ordered a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo. I usually use Intel for my SSDs, but this one seemed to perform just fine from what I’ve read, and the recommendations in SH/SC.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lambert posted:

Was the drive a shingled drive? Those tend to get extremely slow.

Also, Samsung SSDs are a pretty bad deal overall, you're definitely overpaying for the brand name with them - something like the the Adata SU800 would be a good alternative. Consider you're buying a drive that's going to wear out pretty quickly, with tons of write operations. The SU800 offers quite a bit better endurance than the 860 Evo at a cheaper price.

Current Intel SSDs are pretty low-end, the only notable one is the Intel 660p 2 TB (that's an NVMe drive). Not recommended for write-heavy operations, but great as a secondary storage for games, for example - but only if you can get it for cheap.

You know, I never even thought about the lifespan with all the writes.

Unfortunately, my PC is about 8 years old, so no NVMe slot there. 2.5s only. Looks like the Adata one is 20-30 cheaper. Maybe I’ll grab that one and use the Samsung for my OS drive since my current one is only 128gb and I’m constantly having to clear poo poo off it.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wolrah posted:

NVMe is just a protocol for accessing flash storage (or potentially other similar media) over a PCI Express bus. While most consumer-market NVMe drives are in M.2 card format they can also be found in 2.5" and rarely 3.5" sizes using U.2 or SATA Express connectors, as well as just directly in a full PCIe card format. Theoretically one could be made for the old MiniPCIe format that predated M.2 but due lack of demand and the 1x lane limit I doubt it'll ever happen.

You can pick up adapters for a couple of bucks that fit in a normal PCIe slot and convert it to one or more M.2 slots, so as long as you have a free 4x or larger PCIe slot you can use NVMe drives (technically it should work the same, just slower, with 1x slots but I don't believe anyone makes an adapter for that so it'd only work if you had a motherboard with open-ended 1x slots).

Every major OS gained support for NVMe some time between 2012 and 2015, the only real catch is that if you want to boot from it you need support from your motherboard. AFAIK nothing older than the 9 series chipsets (2014) has official support for NVMe booting on the Intel side, no idea about the AMD side. People have figured out how to install the driver from newer boards on older boards with AMI UEFI firmware on both sides of the fence though, so there is still a chance.

Of course it's always an option to boot from a SATA SSD and just use the NVMe one to store whatever you consider performance sensitive.

edit: Also while I haven't ever used that particular model, I have had absolutely horrible luck with ADATA SSDs. My company installed a few dozen of their entry level model about two years ago and most of them have either failed without warning or degraded to a state of performance reminiscent of those 4200-5400 RPM variable speed power saving laptop hard drives. Obviously we're not expecting miraculous things out of cheap hardware but continuing to work and remaining faster than spinning rust aren't exactly high bars to clear.

Yeah sorry I meant no M2 slot.

This is a good post. Thanks for the info!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok yeah, the new SSD is post-processing shows almost instantly (with unpack while downloading is enabled). I checked the SMART on my old platter HDD and it did indeed have re-allocated sectors and whatnot, so disk health was definitely the issue.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How much of an advantage is it to have multiple indexers? I have one and haven’t had many issues beyond Sonarr saying certain shows are blacklisted.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Getting a lot of "this release is blacklisted" on NZBgeek. Does this mean that the release no longer exists on the servers due to DMCA or something?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They have that deal every BF and every time I ponder buying it, but end up not. The only thing I'd end up using it for would be the offline sync for airplanes, which I fly once a year, so not worth it for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thunder News is putting their deals up at 7am EST tomorrow.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ThunderNews deals:
https://www.thundernews.com/signup_bf_2019.php

$25/year lifetime deal

quote:

4120+ Days Binary Retention
1265+ Days Text Retention
50 Simultaneous Connections
256 bit SSL Encryption Included
2 US Servers
2 EU Servers

There's also $10/1.5TB and $18/3TB blocks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sedative posted:

These guys are known to boot customers who download a few TB a month on unlimited plans.

Interesting. I don't really foresee myself downloading multi TB/month, so it shouldn't be an issue, but I can't get their Upgrade Plan page to work when I log into my existing account. It's just a blank page :shrug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just checked my email and when I signed up with them last month, they sent my info just about instantly. Which included the account password in plain text :lol:. So yeah, when you get it, definitely change your pass right away.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I can't upgrade my monthly Thunder account to that unlimited deal. It's just giving me a blank page when I'm logged in and try to do the upgrade plan thing.

I just signed up for the deal like I was a new customer, and everything went through and now I'm waiting on my (second) account info.

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I signed up with Thundernews too and its been over 4 hours without any login info sent. I checked spam and submitted a ticket but so far not the greatest first impression haha.

I'll report back if/when I get my info email, but nothing yet after 5 mins.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Re: Thunder News

I had problems switching from their monthly plan to the BF yearly play, so I submitted a help ticket. Looks like they replied to it 15 mins later and changed my plan for me.

So if you haven’t received a confirmation email from them, may want to try to email them or send in a help ticket.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha I’m happy to hit 6MB/s on my 50 line.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man I’ve been sticking to WD reds in my NAS, but wow is that WD Easystore cheap in comparison.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Easystores used to be Reds back in the day, now they're the white labels. My 2x 8TBs are Red, my 2x 10TBs are White. Hoping they all have good longetivity! I'm thinking of every year buying a new drive, moving the data off the oldest drive and keep cycling them like that.

That’s exactly what I do. My NAS runs unraid, so I have a bunch of random-sized drives. When I get a new one, I just replace the smallest drive. If I get a drive larger than any currently in it, I get a pair since the largest has to be the parity drive.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I assume this is just a platter HD inside that I just tear out?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: nm

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What are the good free indexers? Looking to supplement to my nzbgeek.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Submit a support ticket. They have a category for not receiving info. My 2 tickets have been responded to and resolved within 30 mins each time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Weembles posted:

What am I doing wrong here?

Lately my Sonarr install has been fetching obfuscated NZBs through SABnzbd, which is normal, but instead of deobfuscating the files and moving them to my sonarr directory like it used to, it deobfuscates the directory the file is extracted to but doesn't rename the actual file. Sonarr has no idea what to do with this so I keep having to go in and manually rename and copy everything.

Am I missing a setting somewhere in SAB that changes this?

I've had that happen a few times. Sometimes Windows locks files open while it indexes it or some poo poo. Is your download/processing folder set to be indexed? I suggest turning that off if it's on.

Also there was some setting (can't remember, I'm at work now) in SAB about renaming folders. Turn that off, as it also causes Windows to lock the files or something. Once I did that, it was fine since Sonarr is the one to do the folder renaming.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

And from the NAS thread, EasyStores 14TB externals are $199:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-14tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6390390.p?skuId=6390390

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I thought that’s what this thread was about?

I used to talk on the paintball groups all the time. Back in the 90s.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Is there a way to force Radarr to search for multiple movies right now? I changed the profile on a bunch of movies, but it's a huge pain in the rear end to go to each movie and click search.

If you go into Wanted, there's a button that says "Search for All" or something.

Assuming you have the movie in your list already, that is.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dongattack posted:

How come the process for buying a membership to dog is to "buy a shirt"? Some kinda super big brain move to not bring the CIA down on them? I hate it so much lol, i just want to press button.

Plus they tack a $10 processing fee on top, yeesh. If you use the voucher noship you don’t have to buy a shirt and saves you like $10 or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Now I can hopefully figure out how to set these quality profiles so I don't end up with 50GB+ files.

It's so annoying getting a 55GB 1080p file. I just went through and adjusted my profiles as well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

Is it just changing the range for the quality in settings? I tried the H264/5 quality filter, this is next on my list.

Yeah, it's just a slider for what you want the max to be for 90/140-minute movies in radarr.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If I update Sonarr from 2 to 3, does it preserve all my settings or do I have to set everything up again?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had that happen to me when my HDD was throwing smart errors. It would take an absolute eternity to unpack. Swapping it out for a new SSD fixed it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I thought having Radarr automatically upgrade my 1080p stuff to 4K was rad as hell until I realized that my 10ish yo Ivy Bridge Plex server PC couldn’t keep up with transcoding them from 4K -> 1080p for my smaller tv without tons of buffering. gently caress.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I have to say, SAB looks a lot nicer than NZBGET. Tempted to switch.

It’s certainly pretty nice, the settings pages can be a bit intimidating setting up for the first time. I set it up never having done anything with NZBs before, but I was able to get it running after an hour or 2.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's the point of Remuxes? I just can't seem to understand why I'd want a 45GB rip of a 1080p movie, as previous poster suggested. 10GB BluRay rips seems to be just fine? Why are they so massive? Is it just higher quality than BR somehow?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I have a decent amount of storage space available and a pretty good TV, so I always go for the highest available quality even if the difference isn't very big.

Thermopyle posted:

It's a direct rip of the BR without recompression. It's exact same quality as the BR.

Ah, thanks.

Yeah I've got a 75" 4K TV and a 55" 1080P, but since my old-rear end Plex PC chokes on 4K content, I try to stick with 1080P rips. I did sign up for a month of Plex Pass to see if the hardware transcoding helps at all (Ivy Bridge), but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I may have to just bite the bullet and upgrade my Plex server PC. Or upgrade the guts of my unraid machine and learn all the docker crap.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

derk posted:

even tho 4K titles are big, direct playing should do fine on your tv. there is no transcoding going on during a direct play. is your tv hard wired or wireless?

Well, it chokes transcoding 4K content down to 1080P for the smaller TV. Both TVs are running Apple TV / Plex on wireless, both have full signals.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

derk posted:

yea, transcoding 4k files is going to choke just about anything. don't offer the 4K movies to non 4K devices that can direct play them. Like i have a separate library for 4K movies, and only certain users have access to that library that i have set up their clients to play those files directly so it does NOT transcode them.

Hmm, interesting idea. Will it also choke modern processors as well, even with Plex hardware transcoding?

Seems like a pain to split things into separate libraries manually, unless that can be automated somehow? Like if a movie is 4K, put it in my movies_4k folder instead?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have the standard SABnzbd/Sonarr/Radarr setup going in Windows (same PC as my Plex server), but I'm having issues with like 25% of my downloads not being sorted into the correct folder. They end up on my destination drive as the standard Title.Resolution.Quality.ReleaseGroup name instead of being renamed into Show (Year)\Season folders. I assume this has something to do with something locking the folder open. Any ideas on what would be causing this?

In my Plex server settings, I have "scan my library automatically" (when changes are detected to library folders) and "run a partial scan when changes are detected" (when changes to library folders are detected, only scan the folder that changed). The "scan my library periodically" option is unchecked. Is there any reason to keep the first 2 both checked, or should I just use one of them? Could this scan lock the download folders so they can't be renamed and sorted properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

derk posted:

really not a pain at all.

have you ever used a .plexignore file before? these files are essential from keeping your 4K movies from showing up in Plex libraries not meant for 4K capable users/clients. Especially if your 4K folder is within your main movie folder such as mine.

I have not used that file before but will check it out, thanks!