Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Taima posted:

FIOS makes you run their proprietary equipment for fiber.

They in fact do not. There is an ethernet port on the ONT (unless that's why you mean by "proprietary equipment") that can be lit and you use your own router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use AT&Ts gear for my gigabit and get 95MB/sec on Usenet with it. I’d expect Verizon’s to be rated to handle the full speed of the connection too.

Their older gear is'nt rated to handle anything close to that. The ONTs themselves could even handle gige (and had 100 mbit ethernet ports on them) not that many years ago. A lot of people "upgraded" to gige symmetrical only to have their ONT swapped out (or not) and kept that same MOCA modem that could barely mange 300 mbit.

Details matter. Don't assume. Without specific complaints they will not volunteer this poo poo to you.

Actually look up the model of your issued gear and know what it is and what it can do. If it can't do what you're paying for demand new poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

You can set a delay under the profiles. "Prefer Usenet" with a 120 minute delay to BT is what I use.

Wow, I never noticed that setting. Thank you!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Is this not also true of Plex? I can't remember if I've ever specifically tested it but I know you can hit the web UI using the local address rather than going through plex.tv or whatever.

You can, but if you auth expires it requires internet access to reauth unless you have all the settings correct for local network access that seems to change/get changed during some upgrades and I never remember to go back and check them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Taima posted:

Hey btw, I use a separate desktop machine to run my Plex server. It's pretty large at this point, roughly 10 high capacity hard drives.

That's all fine, my question is, does anyone know how to keep the hard drives inactive until they are queried to display content?

I am considering using the desktop computer for normal use, but it's currently a little sluggish because of all the HDDs attached to it. I just want to use the OS SSD drive until someone activates a video file on one of the plex drives; at that point the drive can activate but otherwise I would like them to be dormant if possible.

This is a power saving setting question that is 100% dependent on the operating system you're running and potentially drivers/driver compatibility.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

I owned an ISP about 30 years ago

Then you will probably find these videos as funny and comforting as me. They're currently setting up a T1 on an Adtran and have a RaQ 3 online and operating without getting owned immediately......somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/@theserialport

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Say no more. I'm sorry to have interfered with your recovery.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Taima posted:

Am I understanding you right, you have 4 usenet subs?

I have only one usenet sub.

Charles Leclerc posted:

but it's inevitable that you'll want to get a hold of a 2007 copy of a Mandrakelinux ISO at some point and having redundancy is always nice.

...and block accounts for this. Frugal handles, according to Sab as of right now, 99% of my traffic.

You may be better off with more subs depending on your usage patterns I suppose. And if you don't have torrents mixed in as a way to find classic isos.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I used to have block accounts alongside Newshosting, I don’t anymore and don’t see any difference.

Mine are rarely touched, but when someone goes on a Slackware SLS complete version history kick they tend to get used a lot. So yeah, it's all usage pattern.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

"At any point in the time the cost of a 'good sized' hard drive will be $250."

That reminds me of putting $1200 MFM 5.25" full height seagate 1 GB ("the gigabrick") into SCO and NetWare servers early on in my career. They had enough spinning mass that it would make the cheap full tower cases they usually ended up in rock back and forth on power up if they weren't level and had all their feet on.

But yeah.....$250 has been enough to get you whatever defined "plenty of space" for a desktop at that time since forever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thanks, I didn't know about/have ninja central.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Looks like ninja deletes users for non activity, as I went from not knowing it, to realizing I had a login there, to the login failing in the space of about 30 seconds.

What is activity? API hits or are the doing the IPTorrents thing where they want you to log into the web site? (yeah, I really want to participate in the comment section of a torrent site)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That sure is.

I get not wanting to have a bunch of abandoned accounts in your user list, but 14 days?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nullset posted:

You have to actually login to the website at NinjaCentral every ~14 days with a free account to not get disabled. It's very much a means of pushing people to pay for VIP, as VIPs don't have the inactivity timer.

Oh good. I chucked them 12 euro so I can give them a fair try.

Takes No Damage posted:

How are they as an indexer? The lowest paid tier is 1000 API calls and 100 downloads a day for 12 euro a year, if they're in the same neighborhood of usefulness as something like Geek that's not a bad deal.

I have them set as second priority so in a week or so I'll check and see what kind of success I'm having with them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've been using deluge for years. No complaints.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

THF13 posted:

While you're working on the new setup and everything is fresh in your mind might be a good time to update sonarr to the v4 branch, which switches from preferred words based upgrades to a custom format setup like radarr.

Sonarr v4 is still very much beta software and isn't even in the current deb repos. Is it really time to be switching to it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

All I can say is that I appreciate you and everyone else beta testing this software in your production environment for me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

in a well actually posted:

The highest stakes prod environment.

Not sure if joking or not, but I literally don't care if you can't send your 10,000 marketing spam SMSes because the prod cluster fell over at work as much as I do that I have the latest episode of Ondskan.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volguus posted:

Do humans live long enough to watch 100tb of linux isos? I got 7tb, can have more, but realistically....

You're asking the wrong question. The correct one is do you have what it takes to meticulously curate 100tb of Linux ISOs? Watching any of them is entirely optional and barely related to being a data hoarder.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eschaton posted:

Why would anyone get DMCA’d for reading or posting on Usenet?

Reading? No idea. Posting.....maybe?

eschaton posted:

I get that a full feed might require a T1

Welcome back from 1996! Our phones have multiple times more bandwidth and similar latency to a T1 now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So do you hate accounts? Or accounts on other people's equipment?

Jellyfin is all local accounts and you can use actual set top box hardware to put it on a tv over a network if that's the kind of thing you want to do. Or use a phone/tablet/web client either locally or remote. It's just http.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volguus posted:

Why does it need accounts though? What's the service they provide?

I feel like you're a goon in a well situation, but I'll take a brief attempt to explain: because not everyone hosts a server for only themselves in their own home and never goes anywhere or would want to access it form elsewhere. You can set no authentication for jellyfin (and plex too) for network subnets if you want.

Volguus posted:

Anyway, the web client: I can use an actual media player, why would I bother with the web client?

I don't know. Because all you happened to have was a web browser and didn't want to install software on something? You don't have to use it. It's just an option.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dyscrasia posted:

Much lower CPU usage during downloads. Something like 30% vs less than 10% if I remember correctly.

Does nzbget unpack during downloads? That could be a huge difference. I don't know the exact criteria required because it doesn't happen on every dopwnload, but more than half the time that's how sab does it in my setup and you can definitely see the disk i/o and cpu hit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dyscrasia posted:

Nzbget definitely has an unpack stage after the download completes. It will typically start downloading the next in queue while all of the file operations take place.

Yeah, I wasn't really clear there.....I'm talking about unpacking the file while it's downloading it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dyscrasia posted:

I understood. I do see an option to unpack during download though, as mentioned above.

I've go not horse in this race, but my point is: are you comparing sab while its unpacking during downloading the file with something that is not doing this? Because that would explain your "performant" comment. And if it's an option it sounds like one you haven't turned on, where on sab it's a default at least in my distro/repo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I also recently transitioned back to SAB, they sure did a lot of work since I last used it. It's drat speedy now. Is there any SAB equivalent to the completion script or is the app itself enough?

A quick glance at that functionality and I'm gonna say this is stuff Sab already does pretty well on its own. It's not perfect, but I have a lot of (especially older linux isos) simply fail right up front without downloading much of anything because it detects there aren't enough blocks to bother trying.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Prowlarr

It also pushes all the indexer settings to your other (some not all) *arrs

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Same. I'm also curious because I just did some spot checks and I don't have that enabled on any of them. Maybe that's a "used to happen, everybody's fixed it now because of Prowlarr" thing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Laserface posted:

is there a way I can tell plex/sonarr/radarr to delete anything that has been marked for longer than x amount of days?

currently the only way i can find to do this is to edit each shows advanced settings within plex. I was hoping to blanket update everything in Plex to do this.

What do you mean "marked"? Marked as watched? Pretty sure you can set up Maintainarr to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Unless I'm misunderstanding something you have a number of requests per day. It doesn't matter how quickly you use them. This can be controlled for multiple *arrs by setting the max per day value in Prowlarr.