Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Thermopyle posted:

Netflix HD streams are like 1/2 to 1/3 the bitrate of your average encode.

And transient; what's available today may not be available in three months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Did you know you can turn off the backlight on a Kindle?

Can you turn off the backlight on one that you can load an elibrary app on, as required above?

(Assuming your library uses Hoopla or other service that doesn’t have native Amazon ebook integration.)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Dicty Bojangles posted:

You don't need a library app on the Kindle, you have the library send the book to your Kindle via email. My wife does it all the time with hers, it has a unique email address you enter into the library's system via the library's website.

Again, some elibrary services support that, but some don’t.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I have a solution :filez:; but kramering in to incorrect someone when you don't understand the problem probably isn't that useful?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

Accepting that the person seemed to already have an understanding their library is somehow compatible with newer backlit kindles but wanted one without a light, letting them know that you can turn the light off is in fact useful and you are the one "kramering" in with "ackchyually not all libraries work with kindle." Hope that helps.

Here's the meat from the original quote:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If I wasnt so particular about lights/electronics in bed I'd just buy a new kindle and load my local librarys app to get books. But as far as I know there are no new Kindles that use e-ink and arent back lit that you can load apps on.

"I need an app for my library and the only Kindles that support apps (Fire, etc.) require a backlight"

So "Did you know you can turn the backlight off on Kindle?" isn't helpful, unless it can run apps, hence my followup?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Tailscale if you want both Google auth and wireguard with very little setup. They’re doing some cool things.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

That Works posted:

That alone wouldn't be evidence of a crime committed though right? They'd need to provide evidence of what exactly was pirated.

I think something like DirecTV card programmer customers’ demand letters are a more likely threat; they obtained customer lists from the card programmer hardware resellers then sent letters: “we know you bought this. the only purpose of these is to break copyright law. pay us $Xk or we’ll sue”.

How likely or successful that would be is debatable, but not having smoking gun evidence is not a barrier to a bad outcome for you.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

That Works posted:

Right but usenet subscriptions have legal uses also which isn't quite equivalent to the DirectTV thing. Knowing you have a sub wouldn't be significant burden of proof for piracy.

IANAL so just spitballing it.

The number of legitimate users on Download-copyright-stuff.su (vs google groups, etc) is probably on the same order of magnitude as legitimate smartcard programmers.

But the specific mechanism doesn’t really matter; if you find it credible that associating your name, address, etc with copyright infringement online might increase your risk, then you might want to even if it is low-probability, if it isn’t particularly inconvenient. Particularly avoiding any encounter with PayPal’s notoriously hostile dispute/legal/customer service.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Charles Leclerc posted:

iirc Steam download speed can be bottlenecked by the speed of your PC's CPU as the downloaded files are decompressed on the fly.

There’s also a throttle in the steam client settings that you probably set in 2009 and have forgotten about since.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Motronic posted:

All I can say is that I appreciate you and everyone else beta testing this software in your production environment for me.

The highest stakes prod environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

More that what zfs dev is still happening was happening on zfs on linux and getting merged back to ozfs eventually, maybe.