Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I saw frugal advertising here and figured I might try a month or two to see what all the usenet fuss is about. Anything I should know in advance or is it just a matter of hooking things into SABNZBD and *arr and going to town?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is Mylar3 bad or is the linuxsever.io container for it just not up to snuff? I’ve had to recreate it multiple times now due to basic stuff breaking and it’s just ungodly slow and unable to play ball well with indexers.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is the go to for indexers Slug and whatever works well enough? I have geek and it’s fine; slug seems like you mainly want it for the “exclusive” items it covers.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Prowlarr is pretty neat but I’m not seeing a whole lot of benefit to it so long as I’m using a single provider/indexer; though I would expect that to change over time. It’s neat that you can hook it into private torrent sites for distros that aren’t in Usenet but I haven’t been able to get that working right thus far. Can’t quite tell if it’s me or the earlyish state of the software.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So what’s the Black Friday situation around indexers/providers? I’m monthly with Ninja, but I’d be open to swapping over if there are any expected decent deals on the horizon.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So hold on, you can have Prowlarr send stuff to *arr apps? I’ve only ever used it for manual downloads of stuff.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is Mylar just a bad app? I’ve poked at it from time to time but it always is either borderline unusable due to errors/crashes or just doesn’t do anything. It’s super weird as linuxserver’s stuff is usually pretty rock solid.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ve tried Mylar3 and Mylar…..not 3, and only ever got the latter to do anything approaching anything. It’s not a huge issue, but it seems odd that LSIO would feature a broken app so I thought the problem could be on my end.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whoah whoah whoah, you can use Usenet to do what?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Finally got around to looking through TRaSH and man this is nicer. Though 95% of that is me being an idiot and running my containers with p/guid setting from a different server setup. Probs should make a dedicated Docker user with limited access and kick the containers over to that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

kri kri posted:

Yeah trash is pretty slick. I just set this up today too to sync my local stack with trash. Seems to be working fine on unraid so far https://github.com/recyclarr/recyclarr

Oh that’s nice. It’s really not that much trouble to tweak them yourself though. I’m sure someone has a container stack somewhere that has all this predone if you’re feeling especially lazy. The only issue is that I moved off of transmission to qBitTorrent and while it works fine I still need to sort out how to handle auto extracting and so forth though I’m sure that’s a solved problem.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just to be clear, is that some elaborate editing shitpost or an actual release/version/whatever?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I need to go piddle with my settings to see if I can up thins now that I’m on fiber. I’m frankly fine with current speeds but eh, why not. Is there any sort of science there or is it just plugging in random numbers from the range your provider says to use and see what takes?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

When in doubt take it out back and shoot it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Is there a Calibre ebook thread? I'm trying to figure out some stuff with it but I can't find a good place to get help.

Not sure. If you’ve got questions feel free to ask here or in the self hosting threads and we can see what we can do.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh huh, that’s interesting. I’m pretty sure I’ve got exerting set up but I may give that a try to make sure. It’ll be super useful when/if I need to set up a new Sonarr/Radarr stack in the future.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Would anyone know any Usenet discussion groups that would be focused on foreign films? Specifically Chinese ones? The usual suspects mentioned here don’t seem to do well in that area.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh nice, thanks. I’ll give it a look.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh huh, I hadn’t considered that. It’s worth a look.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Taima posted:

W00t anyone have a 1337 irc bot we can use to exchange filez? I want to download the Anarchists Cookbook mate. Wanna learn how to get high off banana peels and get free payphone calling to impress my girl when we go to the arcade.

Lmao if you don’t use a unlocked/uncensored local LLM “AI” instance to tell you how to make napalm gramps. The future is weird and somehow even dumber than we ever thought was possible.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Prowlarr is an indexer manager, so instead of setting each indexer you have up on each *arr app, you set them up once in Prowlarr then point all your other *arr's to it. Not necessary but convenient.

It also can function as a decent way to search for content across all your indexers without having to log in and do it on each. Good for items you are looking for but don’t want to be assed with setting up in *arr.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Post your docker-config file. Also I'd strongly suggest going through the TRaSH guides walkthrough for this as it handles all the "put the downloads here" stuff pretty well.

Also gluetun is a pretty good "I want this container to use a VPN" solution as well. Works out of the box with a bunch of providers and has stuff like healthchecks set up as well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hughlander posted:

I’ve never found anything Jellyfin is better at. But plex is much better at some edge use cases that if it matters to you, you’ll never use anything else. (For me, I YouTube-dl tech channels then watch at 2x speed on a iPad. Jellyfin and Emby are both horrible for organizing YouTube dl content)

Are you using an agent or anything for those? I’ve used ZeroQL’s for a while new and while it mostly works I’m always open to hearing about other options.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You have to go make a change in the settings to exclude you LAN’s CIDR for auth or something like that but it’s not enabled by default or reasonably accessible to the average user.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

In other matters, is Lidarr a nightmare to use or am I just dumb? It seems incredibly slow on top of being just the worst to get to take a god drat manual import and rename the file right.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

For one, RAID and backups but that’s a good chunk of data to be storing somewhere. If a file list and location are what you want a tree command of some kind would get you there though it would be a bit unwieldy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah also that. I’ve never heard of a natural occurrence of “EMP drive wiping” short of a power surge or the like, but you should have your stuff on a NAS and behind a UPS if you care about your data to begin with.

As for “EMP attack”, bud you’re going to have other concerns when world war 3 starts so I wouldn’t fret about your media at that point.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I also have a Backblaze subscription running so if a drive dies I can see what the most recent snapshot contained and download everything from that which would be a pain in the rear end to do otherwise.

Were you paying by the gig or did you jury rig something together for their all you can eat plan?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

Didn't know about this vendor-- that s3 compatible is just cheap enough for my volume of data I might just set the nas to sync it.

That'd be their e2 service that's a bit more expensive. About 17 $/mth at 10TB. This said, their "basic" service has a Synology app they use that more or less "just works". I don't think it's fully featured as S3 stuff but offsite is offsite.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I presume 16 $/Tb is still the metric. Speaking of I need to go get some spares for my NAS.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

1. It should be fine? I don’t think anyone cares but most have crypto options if you’re that sort of person. There is also stuff like Privacy.com burner cards if you’d prefer.

2. Also, should be fine but keep your OS patched and so on. I prefer containers for this reason but to each their own.

Also you don’t really “need” a VPN for Usenet for reasons others can explain much better than myself, but it doesn’t hurt except for speed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That or Prowlarr. You still would have to hook up the downloaders though; it’s dumb that they won’t add that functionality. It’s also a good excuse to use docker and docker-compose files as you can toss whatever on whatever and it’ll by and large pick up where it left off.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Run nightly builds only, hail satan

Warbird
May 23, 2012

hot date tonight! posted:

I tried an RDB based setup a few years ago and was startled at how good it was, but it involved signing up to like 5 different services with bitcoin etc not unlike usenet and was a bit convoluted. Is there a way to integrate it into plex? Because that would be sweet.

Oh fun, never messing with that then. Dognzb’s tshirt nonsense was enough to make me buy some coin and that was enough of a pain in the rear end that I actually did a year with them as trying to get that back out into a real currency wasn’t worth the effort. I’m not doing that again for something I know there is a catch for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh this is extremely interesting. Lidarr is a nightmare if you have album brain worms and just want do things on a text by track level. If this is just music yt-dlp then I’m gong to have to go hard on this.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I wish I liked infuse. I really do. Their decision to compress like Plex library types (all “TV” type libraries get lumped together, ect) is mystifying and kind of infuriating to deal with.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have you tired Overseerr for that? It’s off the shelf settings can ping you for all that on discord.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

kri kri posted:

You don’t have to use the infuse library function

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Is that a setting you can just disable?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just a heads up for anyone else in my situation, Linuxserver’s Nzbget image is no longer supported and, per them, neither is the app itself. Advised migration is Sabnzbd which is pretty painless but I am getting less throughput.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The official repo is archived and has been for a bit now. Are you using a fork?