Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Awesome, thank you for the heads-up EconOutlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Konjuro posted:

I'm currently using NewsDemon with BlockNews as a backup, but that hasn't been working out too well recently. Would I be better off changing my primary provider or finding an additional block account on a different server?

Not sure what distros you download but I have the same arrangement and haven't had to use the block in quite a while (months).

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

ambushsabre posted:

If you're still interested in reading Usenet, Unison by Panic is now free.

What discussion groups are alive and interesting these days? (Not being snide- reading is fun)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Depends on your provider combination - I haven't really had any completion issues using Astraweb + Blocknews for a while now.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Those of you having issues with Sonarr not pulling series data off trakt need to update - latest master has been switched to TVDB. There's a reddit about the issue here.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Check again? I just updated on my mac and everything's working fine.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

smackfu posted:

I've been using IVI on my Mac to do automated conversion to MP4 and metadata lookup and add to iTunes. The metadata lookup stopped working recently.

Does anyone have anything else they use on the Mac for that? Maybe I can just use an action on completion in SABNzbd?

According to the iVI website if you're on Pro the issue has been fixed so just update (I have pro and confirm it works fine), but if you have the app store version you'll need to update to the latest beta.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Also remember that the little ribbon icon next to any show/season/episode toggles whether it's watched. Solid = watched, outline = ignored.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

sure just switch to Sonarr :v:

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

You could try setting minimum age in the indexers tab to 30min or whatever but I suppose that might turn into a DMCA issue.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yes- with Sonarr you can toggle ignore or download on individual episodes, seasons, or even entire shows if you want.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The TVDB has been squirrelly as gently caress the past few days so just give it a little time and try again.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

The iOS Plex app requires a $5 monthly subscription though? Yeah no I'm not paying $5 a month to stream my own things on my own wifi network.

No, it doesn't require a subscription. That's only for syncing to the iOS device for offline watching. No subscription is needed for streaming on your local network.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

There's a Plex megathread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605 but no, you don't need an account or subscription for local streaming.

ed: for iOS, anyway- some other platforms are different.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 17, 2016

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It doesn't? It gave me a time limit on streaming my content when I last tried it last month(?).

Not sure what platform you're on but I've never had any limits in iOS. But enough derail, that's a question for the Plex megathread.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyone have experience using a dedicated server to handle all the downloading and streaming (via say Plex)? Basically how powerful of a CPU do I need to do this assuming it's just one user and one concurrent stream/device at a time?

My 2010 Mac Mini 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo with 8gb RAM does exactly all of this just fine.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

MrCodeDude posted:

Is Astraweb dying a slow death?

I've used them forever, but lately, nothing is fully completing without the need for backup accounts at Tweaknews + Blocknews. I'm also not getting anywhere near my former download speeds.

Is there a consensus "best" general use usenet provider or is it more of a strength-in-numbers kind of game now?

I was seeing this same issue recently after using Astra for several years. So I bit the bullet and moved to SuperNews a couple weeks ago and have been seeing much better speeds, although Sabnzbd does need to reach out to Blocknews now and then for completion of older stuff.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

usenet.farm is running a sale based on the temperature in Amsterdam... pick up a block on the cheap while it's hot, I guess. They don't have the longest retention but seem pretty reliable for filling in fresh posts, and it's hard to beat 500gb/€15.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

What's the best way to set up remote access to SAB/Sonarr/CP? I'd like to be able to add shows/etc and check SAB status from my iPhone, and my server is a Mac Mini. Would running a VPN server and some sort of dyndns client with a firewall blocking everything but VPN from the outside on the Mac be the best (i.e. most secure) route?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

bigis posted:

I'm getting tired of lovely completion on Astraweb and am considering moving to usenet.farm. Is anyone else with farm? Are you happy with them?

I use their block as a backup and have found them reliable although not the world's fastest.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

PitViper posted:

No Blocknews deals for the weekend? I normally use Frugal/Blocknews/Farm and my primary/secondary/tertiary, and I'm due for a refill. Gonna jump on that usenet.farm block discount though, even though I still have ~400GB left on my last purchase.

Not sure if their deal is still going but Thunder News is on the same backbone as Blocknews (both are Highwinds resellers), so it'll have pretty much the same coverage.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I haven't seen any issues with dog but can't speak for the others.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I'm not sure if NZBHydra has come up in this thread before but I learned about it elsewhere a week or so ago and have been enjoying it ever since. Seems to run without any hiccups on my Mac, and using it as the API for Sonarr/CP/etc. reduces the number of times you need to set up all your indexers. Most of all, though, I'm enjoying the status charts, which really help show which indexers are faster and deliver the most relevant results. Plus having one meta-searcher for all of your indexers makes non-automated searching a breeze.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cheers... hope it helps y'all as much as it helps me. Another neat feature is being able to limit the number of API calls to indexers that only allow a limited amount per 24hrs or whatever, which is pretty much impossible if each automator is independently making their own calls.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Not sure which bugs you're thinking of, but I'm using it full-time without any issues. Haven't started CouchPotato for about a month now.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cheese Bridge Area posted:

With this in mind is there much of a difference between the two or should I just flip a coin?

Radarr's dev team is a lot more active, and it does a better job of profile matching so you won't wind up with tons of lovely cams clogging up your collection (unless that's your jam). If you're already using Sonarr, Radarr will be a breeze because it's built on Sonarr.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

ub posted:

CP seems pretty useless for new releases because it by default ignores everything until the official release date. Which is kinda the whole raison d'etre for the program... Is Radarr more sorted out about this?

Yeah in the latest Radarr update yesterday you can select when to start monitoring, either after initial announcement, theater, physical media or pre-db dates.

e: I mean, this option is for whatever watchlist you use. So only add a movie that's in your watchlist after announce/cinema/etc date. Unlike CP, Radarr uses RSS watching rather than API searching and it's a lot better at profile matching so it'll grab whatever pre-release when it shows up and matches your wanted profile.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 6, 2017

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I feel like I already know the answer to this and am an idiot for asking, but whatever might as well - on my headless Mac Mini I've been running everything while logged in under an admin account. Probably not the best idea for something that's turned on all the time, no? And assuming I move to a standard/non-admin account, would moving all my settings from the admin account to the new one create significant issues/should I start all over setting up the various pieces (NZBGet, Sonarr, Radarr, etc)?

e: eh, fuckit, I see pretty much everything has a built-in backup and restore mechanism so I'll go ahead and rebuild.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2017

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

porktree posted:

Is nzb.su down? I'm getting a 'diffferent' login screen and being told my user/pw is not right.

They recently moved to a new server and rebuilt/updated the system. You'll have to reset your password to log into the new website.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Same goes for music, some do better indexing than others.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Headphones also has the same CouchPotato problem of hammering your indexer(s) because it searches for everything individually rather than watching via RSS like Sonarr.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Best as in only option, sure, but I gave up on it a while ago because it needed so much handholding that I found it's easier to just manually use NZBHydra instead.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Grumpwagon posted:

Are there ever deals for non-highwinds providers? Seems like every other backbone's costs are quite high.

Usenet.farm is running deals and isn't highwinds.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I see Watcher mentioned as a non-Mono-dependent alternative to Radarr, but am a bit reluctant to switch over... has anyone run the two side-by-side for comparison?

My server is a Mac Mini running Sierra, and having to run two instances of Mono for Sonarr and Radarr is a bit of a hog... along with the Radarr bugs Thermopyle mentioned.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I heard it has something to do with the analytics script, and if you disable analytics in settings it'll go away. Can't test until tonight, though.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yeah seriously with all the deals going around there's really no excuse for paying more than about $10/mo on an unlimited subscription.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

tzirean posted:

As someone who still uses sabnzbd, why is this?

Nzbget is coded in C rather than sabnzbd's Python, so it is and always will be lighter and more nimble.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TraderStav posted:

For Headphones, I have a nice set up where it will download the files to a directory that is automatically pushed to my Google music. So my own little Spotify/Apple Music/etc. with being able to get music on my phone relatively easily. Only catch is, I'm only able to get it going when I'm at home. Has anyone here set up a good solution for being able to access Headphones on your iOS device? I am sure I could note my IP address and push that port outward, but was hoping for a more elegant/secure solution. What suggestions do you have or am I being a dolt and the port forwarding is the right approach?

Thanks!

Set up a VPN for connecting back to your home network from your phone. It's a lot more secure than port forwarding Headphones directly to the unwashed masses.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

No what we mean is you run the VPN server yourself. The only traffic going through it will be your phone's connecting back home. Any Netflix etc. on your home computers will be able to access the internet just like usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yeah essentially- they’ll be able to see that you are connected to a VPN at <address> but won’t be able to see where the connections go from there, and the packets will be encrypted.