Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

ClassH posted:

Has anyone migrated to the new NZB Hydra? I am still running the older version but thought about switching since it will no longer be updated.

I had a hell of a time getting Hydra to play nicely with my indexer and nzbget, so, I gave up and went to sonarr instead. I couldn't be happier, after some basic permissions tinkering with sonarr and nzbget, sonarr finds releases on my indexer, sends nzbs to nzbget which then unpacks and cleans it all up and sonarr then moves the files into my tv directory for Plex and then updates my plex library for me automatically. Also, I put sonarr and nzbget in the same jail to further simplify that process.

derk fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I don't understand this sentence.

Nzbget and Hydra don't do the same thing.

fixed.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
Basically, I didn't like hydra. I really only needed to find TV shows, so sonarr worked. I only have 1 indexer. I couldnt get hydra to work properly and gave up. I also tried sabnzbd before nzbget and preferred nzbget, more so of more familiarity with it than sab.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dongattack posted:

It does not seem like i have nano here, i just get a "-sh: nano: command not found" error when i type "nano into the putty window.

edit: trying to figure out how to install it now
edit2: god drat i wish i had just built a regular computer instead of buying a NAS
edit3: ok, i have discovered that the synology i have has a builtin text editor called VIM or VI, trying to use that now

you should be able to install nano. VI is confusing to use, especially for a rookie such as yourself, unless you have documentation on how to navigate and execute in VI, i highly suggest NOT using it!

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Volguus posted:

Oh come on, figuring out how to exit vi is a rite of passage.

lol, anyways!

1st: https://www.jimmybonney.com/articles/install_gmvault_on_a_synology_nas_follow_up/

2nd:
https://www.jimmybonney.com/articles/configure_nano_syntax_highlighting_synology/

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Volguus posted:

Oh come on, figuring out how to exit vi is a rite of passage.

I have experience with VI and I would rather use nano.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
Ok, what are you running plex on for the server? What is your client setup? Is the client hard wired or wireless? is it local or remote?

derk
Sep 24, 2004
wireless clients are more than likely your problem. You can play with the client side buffering to get it to not stutter, but that is depending on what wireless you are using, 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz. 2.4 will not keep up without proper buffering on the client side as where 5Ghz can if you are close enough to pick up the 5Ghz signal. VC-1 is high bitrate which requires high bandwidth so wireless is not that great of an option.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
right with the right wireless bandwidth it can be done, N and AC can handle it.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dongattack posted:

Ok, i will follow all of this advice. Thank you again and thank you to the other posters helping me too!

Edit: quick wireless question, the rep at my ISP said that the speeds of my local wireless connection in between machines (such as between the NAS and my computers/cellphone) was limited by the actual download speed my ISP gives me, is that true? Cause i feel like i see speeds between computers go much faster sometimes than my actual download limit.

The rep at your ISP is a loving moron

derk
Sep 24, 2004

sedative posted:

For cheap unlimited you probably can't beat $3.99 a month or $40 a year from NewsgroupDirect. I believe you also get free VPN service if you send support a message about it.

Man, i've been paying 30 bucks a month for giganews, this shows me I need to switch!

derk
Sep 24, 2004

RoboBoogie posted:

I got caught in astraweb's billing fix (9 years maybe?) and went with these guys. They have sent me the details of the VPN in 24 hours, it is through Ghost path. The retention is great and the speeds did saturate the 200mbits of the VPS

Just signed up for the 40 bucks a year plan, what a deal man! I just paid my giganews sub the other day it is on auto pay so i'll let it run this month and use both for now and then cancel giganews, thanks for the links guys! can't wait to get home and setup my NAS/seedbox at home with this new newsgroup account!

derk
Sep 24, 2004
So once you get VPN access with them can I use that for any of my stuff that could use VPN to hide my activity a little?

derk
Sep 24, 2004
Which I already do use SSL, always trying to cover up more though!

derk
Sep 24, 2004
I don't pay any extra for this VPN so I might as well use it

derk
Sep 24, 2004
already loving this sub. the retention of NGD just filled my backlog of tv shows giganews didn't have retention for.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Volguus posted:

Huh? I don't quite follow that math. What i see there is $20/500GB block. $10/month for unlimited. So, the only way the block is worth it is if I download less than 250GB per month. To make it worth I would need to buy that 500GB block less than every 2 months. It's even worse if you look at the yearly plan ($90/year) but even so, 250GB per month is nothing.

I use newsgroupdirect now, $75/year. Relatively ok, 50 connection 3700 days retention.

I am on the same BUT, I got in at $40/year

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Some of us download more than 1TB / month :clint:

I would be one of those.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

While I'm a good customer I went over the limit of Comcast's limit. So I have another "courtesy month". I'm tempted to blast through as much as I can in December.

1TB isn't really that much. It is sort of a joke in most ways.

10 years ago it would have been tough, but yea, now, blu ray and UHD and all that stuff out there, way too easy.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dongattack posted:

I can't search for new shows in Sonarr, i just get a generic "There Was An Error Searching For 'x'.
If the series title contains non-alphanumeric characters try removing them, otherwise try your search again later."

Downloading new episodes and etc works perfectly and Radarr is not having any problems. I just can't add new shows. Anyone else having issues? I can't find a site with information from the devs either, the wiki and forum links in Sonarr lead to dead sites and the twitter hasn't seen any activity in over a year.

I'm running it via Docker on my NAS.

have you tried tvdb: x where x = tvdb show id number?

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dongattack posted:

I don't understand any of that :negative:

look up show on thetvdb.com, said show will have a id number listed on its page, copy that number, go to sonarr, add new series, type in tvdb: xxxxx x's= show id number you copied from shows page on thetvdb.com

example:
https://www.thetvdb.com/series/lost

TheTVDB.com Series ID 73739

derk fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 10, 2018

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dongattack posted:

Ah yes, it works when i do that. What could be the problem?

edit: nvm now everything works, err WEIRD. Thanks a lot for helping. Maybe it just needed a kick?

this is how i add all my new shows, sometimes i dont know which show is correct until i see it on thetvdb.com and verify with person wanting said show confirms that show is indeed correct one. it is quicker, and error free that way IMO.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

wolrah posted:

Xbins, a popular homebrew distribution site in the console modding community, still uses a FTP server that you go through an eggdrop bot to access.

holy poo poo, xbins is still around?! I used to be on there FTP back in the day of console modding!

derk
Sep 24, 2004

EC posted:

I have a bunch of stuff in Sonarr that has a profile of 720p, and I want to change it to 1080p, but I don't necessarily want to kick off 500000 new downloads for old copies. Is there a way to change a profile for a series only for new episodes?

you could un-monitor the existing episodes.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

I've been using NewsgroupDirect and it is fantastic, no issues at all and good speeds!

SAME!

derk
Sep 24, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, nobody to my knowledge has ever been busted for solely downloading from usenet.

I once got a DMCA notice from downloading from usenet many years ago, and it was from using a NON-SSL connection.

99% of my downloads these days come from usenet with a SSL connection, not 1 single notice.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I think it's likely that you're mis-remembering some things. Those notices come after someone informs your ISP that a specific IP address downloaded a specific thing at a specific time, then the ISP sends you the notice after they correlate your IP, time and request with your user account. With usenet the only way that the reporter can know that your IP address was associated with a download would be if they had access to the usenet server's log files and that seems really unlikely and something SSL would not prevent since your request would still be logged with your IP. With torrents your IP goes into the pool and is publicaly available to anyone else connected to that swarm, but with usenet nothing is shared to the rest of the public. It's highly likely your notice was about a torrent download and not usenet and you're just mistaken.

you're probably right, this was many many many years ago.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

It's supposed to be the same quality as x264 at half the file size, but I don't know if that's actually true yet. I remember there were some problems with compression artefacts and blocking a while ago I've had it excluded for years because I'm still running a Pi 2 with Kodi and can't play them anyway.

at true half size it has some issues that i have seen. but you bump it up a little bit and it looks identical to x264 at a pretty big saving in file size. Plus the HDR. it has come a long way, looks great.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

more falafel please posted:

Don't worry, a Pi 3 can't play them either, unless I need to pay :2bux: for some codec I haven't done yet. Audio works but video doesn't. Ironically my 2011 iMac plays them fine in VLC.

just time to upgrade to a Pi 4

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

NewsGroupDirect used to be a reseller of a larger network with 3500+ days retention, but they split off and became an independent provider. As such their retention went to poo poo, purporting to be 1100 days but I find even that to be unreliable..

I find they're good for recent stuff, and they max out my 600 meg connection, but you'll eat up blocks like crazy if you try to get anything older than 1000 days.

UGH,
that's why the older downloads suck lately! i did not know they did that!

derk
Sep 24, 2004

That Works posted:

Is there a way to emulate this data output or a close equivalent for nzbget?

i think nzbhydra does stuff like this, possibly even prettier

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, this is the main reason I get remuxes. A well done re-encode is mostly indistinguishable from the source BR, but there's no way to tell radarr/sonarr "only download well done reencodes".

if you know which groups do good encodes you could set it to get ones from said groups using the tags feature. food for thought.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ah, thanks.

Yeah I've got a 75" 4K TV and a 55" 1080P, but since my old-rear end Plex PC chokes on 4K content, I try to stick with 1080P rips. I did sign up for a month of Plex Pass to see if the hardware transcoding helps at all (Ivy Bridge), but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I may have to just bite the bullet and upgrade my Plex server PC. Or upgrade the guts of my unraid machine and learn all the docker crap.

even tho 4K titles are big, direct playing should do fine on your tv. there is no transcoding going on during a direct play. is your tv hard wired or wireless?

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Well, it chokes transcoding 4K content down to 1080P for the smaller TV. Both TVs are running Apple TV / Plex on wireless, both have full signals.

yea, transcoding 4k files is going to choke just about anything. don't offer the 4K movies to non 4K devices that can direct play them. Like i have a separate library for 4K movies, and only certain users have access to that library that i have set up their clients to play those files directly so it does NOT transcode them.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I've actually done this for a few groups in the past, but I can't be assed to keep track of which groups sourced which files and compare the quality of different groups over time.

I just set my remux quality on movies that I care enough to have the highest quality and don't worry about it.

i manually download my movies instead of leaving that up to radarr. I don't have time to keep track of movies i want to see and never have the need to have them right away.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Hmm, interesting idea. Will it also choke modern processors as well, even with Plex hardware transcoding?

Seems like a pain to split things into separate libraries manually, unless that can be automated somehow? Like if a movie is 4K, put it in my movies_4k folder instead?

really not a pain at all.

have you ever used a .plexignore file before? these files are essential from keeping your 4K movies from showing up in Plex libraries not meant for 4K capable users/clients. Especially if your 4K folder is within your main movie folder such as mine.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Former Human posted:

I wish I were in a position to complain about 30MB/s

i was only getting 40ish MB/sec changed my connections to use all 50 allowed connections now i get 100+MB/s

god bless gigabit and usenet

i only have NGD

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

I started working on this but my Pi 3 just lags horribly on running the suite minus Plex. I’m hesitant to open up a port to my PC for it unless I make it local network only which kinda defeats the purpose of Ombi for the most part.

I tried the ombi thing over the weekend. great, absolute great concept. I didn't like it so much as getting it to work properly and just ran out of patience to get it working from outside my network and not entirely sure how i would go about that anyways? need some better instructions, also forgot my rutorrent was on port 5000 which botched things for awhile. Ended up just getting rid of Ombi for the time being. I will keep an eye on the project, once it matures more i will give it another try.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
man retention is bad on NGD lately. found a show only 157 days old and it fails. I remember when i first got NGD, i was grabbing stuff that was 4-500 days old no problem. I am gonna need a new indexer. what is the good ones now? NGD is nice and cheap i have it $40 a year auto renew unlimited.

edit: i signed up for ninja, instant success and cheaper than NGD!!! great steal!!! i will keep both, ninja is the backup, good for those backfills

derk fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Theophany posted:

Hasn't nzbget been dead for a while now?

i use nzbget, it isn't dead. i am thinking you guys are talking about a docker container not being updated anymore? nzbget is still actively being updated and works great. i messed with SAB many years ago, but many years ago i switched to nzbget and never looked back.