Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
In honor of ipv6 day, I decided to try one of the free IPv6 news servers. I successfully managed to ping and connect to newszilla.ipv6.xs4all.nl!

Does anyone know anything about these free servers? Are they any good, and should they be used as another backup? Is this the only functional one, or are there others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Tindahbawx posted:

Sooo, I was chewing through that 200GB Blocknews chunk at a right old rate (120gb in 4 days), so I went ahead and got a NewsDemon unlimited account, and set Blocknews to be the backup server.

Unfortunately I've just found out that they're both Highwinds resellers, so that was a bit stupid. Ah well, can't be helped now.

So, should I switch the Blocknews backup account to something different when its used up? Suggestions for block account, that isn't Highwinds?

Or should I switch the NewsDemon account at the end of the month to something else, again, that isn't Highwinds, as I'll keep the remainder of the Blocknews as the backup in this case.

Thanks!

Also is there any other indexers that I should know of aside from NZBmatrix (which I discovered I had a VIP account on), NZB.su and DogNZB?

The best main feed I've found is Supernews. I actually have 2 backup block accounts, Blocknews and Astraweb (they occasionally haves sales.)

Try to get a free account with xsusenet.com. They're super unreliable, but it can't actually hurt to have it is a backup server.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

bloodynose posted:

Is there a consensus on the favorite of the Big 4 backends (Astraweb, Giganews, Highwinds, Readnews)?
Giganews with a block account of either highwinds or astraweb (or both)

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Bonzo posted:

I use Supernews basically because it's what I used in the 1998 and when I got back into this last year I just went with the name I knew.

Should I switch?
No. The days of having one feed are over. Supernews makes an excellent primary feed, but if you want to avoid failed downloads, everyone should look into adding supplemental block feeds from a few different providers as they come on sale. I have a block from astraweb and a block from a highwinds reseller and I rarely have problems.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Daynab posted:

So I'm pretty new to this, have SABNZB, really like how smooth it is.
But, once every few files I'll get a "repair failed, not enough repair blocks" error. What causes this and is there anything I can do to not have to restart from the beginning? This makes me very leery of downloading any kind of large file.

Articles were removed, likely due to DMCA complaints. Get yourself a backup provider, try a block plan from the op

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Have you emailed the dev about it?

Good luck, they are completely married to the tvdb, and those guys have their heads completely up their own asses.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

deep square leg posted:

I've just removed dognzb from sickbeard because just now it snatched some fakes that won't actually be available until next week. This surprises me, though, because I thought sickbeard would only check according to schedule. Does it do a periodic 'just-in-case' blanket search as well?

Yeah, this exact poo poo happened to me. Passworded archive directing me to some poo poo site to "download the password"

I wish we could find these people and stab them in the dick until they die.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but would a Holland provider be less susceptible to DMCA stuff? Or is it still all up in the air and random?

I'm interested in this too. Adding one as backup might be handy.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

EC posted:

The TweakNews block account I just bought is already helping me out. Thanks for the recommendation Thermopyle.

I could have sworn there was a way to limit downloads to one item at a time, but I can't find it in the settings. Ever since adding a new block server as a backup, SAB is downloading the top two items.

I just added this too. Its rare, but I have ran into a situation where Readnews, Giganews, Highwinds AND Astraweb were all missing a chunk, and had to fall back to the free XSUsenet account (which is very unstable)

Basically, there's no reason not to add a block plan from every major feed you can find and then some.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Red_Mage posted:

Sickbeard has a huge problem if the Scene numbering and the TVDB numbering differ. And since both are full of people with egos and issues, they differ a lot. Sickbeard, because of its dev cycle, doesn't have a way to fix this, NZBdrone does. OTOH Sickbeard has been better for me at backfilling old shows than NZBdrone has.

What's the memory footprint like for NZBdrone? I'd like to run it in parallel with Sickbeard, but my media server has limited ram.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

Don't see much reason to run both at once, but mine is using 11mb with about 150 shows.

Only that I already have SB doing MOSTLY everything correctly, but there's a few shows I'd like NZBdrone to take over for. And maybe if it works better, I'll slowly switch it over to full time use.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
FYI nzb.su has blocked headphones, which is why 403 errors were appearing in the long.

I'm having difficulty justifying keeping it around, what with the having to pay for VIP over and over again, compared to some of the others.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

maniacripper posted:

More on the passworded files.

Is there a way to have SABnzbd tell sickbeard that the files it got were passworded, mark that specific set as bullshit and go after another set of files, even if they're named the same thing?

Yeah, Sickbeard is gonna have to evolve a way to deal with this stuff, because the encrypted files are getting out of hand. I wish the indexers could figure out which files were junk.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
So, this is new. I was downloading last night Sabnzbd was using each and every one of my servers, including every backup server. It basically burned through all my block accounts overnight. I have 2 main accounts (SuperNews and TweakNews) and the rest are just supposed to sit there until its absolutely certain that none of my main accounts can get the data, but it was still downloading blocks from both of my main accounts.

Has anyone seen this?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

bobfather posted:

Were the articles DMCA'ed from SuperNews and TweaNews?

It's possible, I've just never seen that much consistent damage. Usually my mains grab all but a few MBs and then the block accounts take over.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
For those of you using headphones, he added an internal indexer for VIP users. So if you paid for the VIP upgrade, update and you should have an indexer that might not be banned with headphones like every other indexer seems to be.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

diremonk posted:

Is it possible to use the free level of AWS for running a private version of newznab or would I be better off going with a different VPS provider? I'm only going to be using it for Couchpotato and Sickbeard so the bandwidth used should be relatively low.

No, it's not the bandwidth connecting to it that kills you, it's the pulling of fresh nzbs from Usenet.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

porktree posted:

Anyone still using Qouch on iOS? It stopped working for me a few months ago, and I notice it's gone from the app store. I can get it to connect to my SABNzbd server and Sickbeard, but when I try and add an nzb file it fails. I used to be able to search the indexer in Safari on my ipad, download the nzb, and it would open in Qouch and be added to my SABNzbd queue etc.

If Qouch is dead, is there any other iOS program that let's me add to the queue from Safari on my ipad?

I don't use it for adding NZB files directly, only for adding to sickbeard and CP, so I can't say if I'm having the same issue as you.

Unfortunately, there are no real NZB apps anymore, Apple struck them from the store, which is why you can't find it anymore.

There's a jail break app called NZBUnity that's showing promise, but it doesn't let you directly add NZB's from the indexers either.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
So couchpotato went loving nuts and tried to download everything I'd ever downloaded all over again. The dev was completely unhelpful when someone opened a bug about it. I need to figure out how to turn off auto-update. Or replace couchpotato.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Jesse Iceberg posted:

I had a different experience with News demon.

I got one of their 1TB fire sale deals a while back to use as a spare block account and, when I log in to my account on their web interface, my account still shows as active with nearly a TB left on it.
But logging in to their news servers with the same login details in SAB just gets me an authentication failed error. It's very weird. I haven't contacted their support yet, mostly because I have a feeling they'll just fob me off.

They did this to me. Apparently their "non-expiring" block accounts actually do expire and you have to beg support fix your account. It took me an hour or so of going back and forth with support to get this corrected. This is yet another reason to avoid them.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

visuvius posted:

I'm pretty much on the verge of cancelling my cable service but there are a couple of shows that I just can't seem to track down through the various options (usenet, kodi addons, etc.).

The two I would miss the most are Jeopardy and Kimmel Live. I'm not exactly sure how to get a hold of this on a consistent basis without a cable box. I should note that I have no clean way of using an HD antenna or I would totally do that. Coax cables and poo poo would be all over the place.

What do you mean "no clean way?"

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

UndyingShadow posted:

What do you mean "no clean way?"

Get a hdhomerun dual and you can put the tuner near the antenna anywhere you've got a network connection. Then use Media Center.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
Headphones MB mirror and indexer going yearly paid:

Not worth it for me, considering how unreliable Headphones is and how little real dev it's gotten in years. I can't help but feel this is another cash grab like so many indexers, programs, etc that beg for money and then fold up shop.

quote:

Hey there -

I’m just writing to inform you that starting March 1st, the Headphones VIP Server will be switching to an annual membership.

I really hate to do this, but based on the way it’s currently set up, it just isn’t possible to provide the type of service that I want to provide. Any time the server starts to index any reasonable amount of content, everything slows to a crawl and becomes unusable.

When the server was first set up a few years ago, it was done to simply provide a solution to what I thought would be a temporary problem. But now that we’ve added the indexer, it has the potential to be a great service - but one that simply cannot be maintained with one-off payments (as it requires multiple servers, load balancers, constant maintenance, etc.).

But don’t worry - if you signed up within the past year your account will still be valid until your one year anniversary. However, if you signed up more than a year ago, you’ll have to switch over to the new system in order to keep your account active. (Also, if you paid more than $10, you’ll have that amount credited towards your account).

The price will be $9.99/year (hopefully cheap enough so it won’t cause too much trouble!). You can cancel at any time, and as before, I’m going to offer a no-questions-asked refund policy.

To update your account simply click the link below:

http://headphones.codeshy.com/vip/convertaccount.php?username=

Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience and I really hate to do this, but I don’t really see any other way of turning the service into something great. I am fully aware that the indexer has been quite crap for the past few months, mainly for the technical reasons I’ve stated above. And I’d rather phase it out than offer something substandard, so this seems like the best compromise - build a great service using a more sustainable model.

I’ve tried to make it work, but it just has not been possible, so I really hope you understand and that this doesn’t cause too much of an inconvenience.

If you have any questions you can always email me back at this address, otherwise, you can click below to update your membership:

http://headphones.codeshy.com/vip/convertaccount.php?username=

Again, sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you understand.

Cheers!

rembo10

UndyingShadow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Welp, Dog voided all lifetime subs and is converting to annual passes. :smith:

All for the low low price of $25 a year because you have to order a t-shirt from some weird loving 3rd party processor. This is just like every other money grab before an indexer closes shop.