Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'm really liking 2010 so far, it seems like they're slowly adding functionality back into the GUI which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
PST's are indeed horrible. If the mail is valuable it should be kept in exchange. If it is not it should be deleted. PST's are a middle ground that always comes back to bite someone in the rear end.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Can you route your outbound mail through something like postini or whatever filters your inbound mail?

Surely they'll trust postini.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I've never been able to get outlook working without being connected to the LAN for the first time either.

VPN is an option if you can do that.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'd just do that from outlook.

edit: nm you don't have permission.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

MrDoDo posted:

I am curious about what peoples opinions are on backing up exchange 2010. Do you just using Windows Server Backup, a third party software solution, or can you simply just do a VSS copy of the data directory?

I have seen a change from backup exec towards backups at a vmware or SAN level. It's nice. You don't get granular recovery anymore but the deleted item retention in exchange can be tweaked to get around that. If someone wants an email back they deleted 6 months ago they're out of luck but whatever.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I think Exchange is way overkill for 10 people, most of which are part time.

Yep. Exchange online would be $50/mo, it's hard to argue with that.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Noghri_ViR posted:

So I got a request to allow out of office messages to be sent to people outside of our domain. What are peoples thoughts on this? I know at one time there was all those urban legend warnings going around about people being robbed due to OOO message and I guess concerns about spam finding a real address but what does everyone else do?

I've never restricted this.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Can you do it through your spam filtering service instead? On postini or something that'd be easy.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Exchange will create a new mailbox the first time an account receives mail if one doesn't already exist. It will also create accounts if the System Attendant is restarted.

What?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
That's weird, I've seen 80 mailboxes and about 150gb of mail run on exchange 2010 with 4gb of ram. The transaction latency was high enough to annoy BES until we upgraded to 8gb but certainly there were no eventlogs like that. Did you mess with anything during the server install? (Swap file sizes etc)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Mierdaan posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about how (at least some versions of) Exchange don't create a mailbox until it receives some mail. I know 2000 used to do this, haven't noticed it being the case in 2007 anymore though.

Ah. It seemed like he was implying that creating an AD account would somehow also create an exchange account.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Nebulis01 posted:

You have a whitepaper or best practice for that? We run all our clients with caches mode disabled and I'd like to see the over/under on why turning it on is a good thing.

In my experience it makes the client much more responsive. With so many exchange implementations going hosted it's pretty much required anyway, you don't want outlook in online mode over a WAN/internet link.

I do turn off download shared folders sometimes, just so the user isn't caching every single calendar they've ever opened.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The hide from address list option in exchange management console (or users and computers if you're on 2003 still) works fine. The GAL can take a while to refresh on the server, then it can take a while longer for clients to download a fresh copy. Don't be surprised if the change takes a day or so to kick in.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Crackbone posted:

A year, and I'm doing a 3 year minimum when I set this up. I'm glad you work somewhere sane, but unfortunately I don't.

The trick is to not mention the sub-optimal solution in this case to anyone. It's either $150 for the UCC or deal with the annoying popup. Hacked BS would never exist if techs didn't make the mistake of mentioning it to the people with the money.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

So I brought this up recently, but I was a bit mistaken about something. "$Company$ Contacts in Public Folders" is not usable like regular contacts in Outlook. How can we make that possible? The users would like to be able to have that list in their To: choices. This is for Exchange 2003. This time for Outlook clients, not just OWA.

Go to the properties of the contact folder in your public folders and check the "Show this folder as an email address book" box.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
How much mail are we talking about? Usually outlook will slow to a crawl due to the mailbox item count before exchange cares.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Can you uncheck the "Download shared folders" box in outlook where the other mailboxes are defined? I think that'll run any secondary mailbox in online mode.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Lex Kramer posted:

From what I understand you need to do a lot in PowerShell in O365 though.

Yep, this might have changed or I couldnt find where to do it in the GUI but I was using it for things as simple as Send-As permission.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
GFI does it, we resell their service. It seems ok, will do AD sync, multiple clients/domains etc.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Create a mailbox called shared calendar. Give those people rights to the calendar in the malbox. On their client, click open shared calendar in the calendar pane. It'll stick after that.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

We had a big discussion after sandy about making our core services more resilient. I don't really care if our data server goes down anymore, but our branch offices in Paris and London and LA need to be able to work if the main office goes out.

Just keep in mind that 365 dies occasionally as well, this year it seems like it's been more often than our customers with internal servers.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

skipdogg posted:

It takes them hours to even acknowledge there is an issue.

I usually get "Wait 4 hours then try again" a few times before they eventually admit something is up. The service status page stays green the entire time. For a small org it's worth the hassle, but if you're large enough to have decent infrastructure, I think it's a tough call.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 18, 2012

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Syano posted:

No and I would never unless I had documentation on where all the references to the old server were located. Really... how hard is it just to install and uninstall instead of asking an internet forum if we think blowing away containers via ADSI is safe?

How hard is it to reinstall and uninstall exchange 2003 in an environment with lingering exchange 2003 gremlins? Sounds like a recipe for pain and suffering to me. The adsiedit route is fine, microsoft even has instructions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396

Usually these old 2003 servers (especially SBS environments) are so screwed up it's practically required.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Will Styles posted:

As far as reinstalling/uninstalling servers, again according to the article all three of us are linking, they are saying that you should only do the ADSI Edit directly if you are going to be doing a reinstall/uninstall right afterwards, and if you are not they do not recommend deleting anything in ADSI Edit.

I get what the article is saying, but re installing 2003 just isn't practical sometimes. (can you even do that in an environment with a 2007/2010 exchange server?) In my experience deleting the server object in ADSI Edit after you've migrated mailboxes and everything else from the old server has never caused any issues.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Get a signed cert, it makes outlook anywhere etc work more smoothly and also gives your OWA and Activesync users one less thing to complain about. They're cheap from godaddy.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Alternatively, use powershell to set the autodiscover URI to mail.whatever.com or whatever you're using for everything.

On my 2010 clients and servers who are too cheap to use a SAN or wildcard using single domain name SSL certs, I use this powershell script to make everything resolve to mail.whatever.com:

This, I used to get certs that included internal server names etc, but it's really not necessary anymore. Changing the CAS URLs works fine.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I quite like Exchange 2010's built in archiving feature (with premium CAL's). Avoids having to support an extra product and seems to work well.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ghostinmyshell posted:

Dell is out of the running for our hosted exchange options. Does anyone have any other hosted exchange providers they want to recommend? I still haven't decided on the dedicated vs shared option either if anyone wants to add some input.

Intermedia has always been reasonable for us. I had no clue Dell sold exchange, how many mailboxes do you need?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Google apps is already cheap, anyone who can beat them on price must be missing something. Not sure I'd risk it to save a few dollars per mailbox.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Google Apps isn't remotely feature-complete compared to hosted Exchange, sadly. It's getting there, and it's probably good enough for a greenfield deployment, but it's not going to convert a ton of shops with existing hosted or on-premises Exchange. The support is also loving dreadful like with everything else Google ever does.

My thought was more, if google apps is $5, are you really going to do better for less? Intermedia is pretty good but they start at $8, I'd be surprised if there was a decent hosted exchange provider that was able to undercut both gmail and 365.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Patching requires a pretty significant amount of effort to get right, especially if you support a number of different types of clients. In research computing, for example, half the client machines you support are likely to be Macs. Every other Exchange rollup changes some setting that breaks them in some way, to say nothing of service packs, and we're just talking about Exchange interacting with Outlook for Mac.

Remember the hosted vendors are applying the same patches, Exchange 2010 SP3 was rolled out recently at intermedia and caused a bunch of weird problems for people. I'm assuming office 365 does patching from time to time, they just don't tell the users, who usually find out when something breaks. The difference with an in house server is you have some control over when to patch, if your cloud vendor wants to patch right in the middle of your organizations busy season, tough luck.

Network reliability is the big one. Assuming your anti spam is SaaS based somewhere and provides email continuity and caching, exchange will be just fine on an ethernet over copper or fiber connection with cable or T1 for backup. If your server is in a location where a connection with a real SLA is unavailable (cable or dsl only), running a mail server there probably isn't a good idea.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
In this situation putting as much distance between Bobs boss and exchange as possible probably trumps all other considerations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Is this service a legion of people in some 3rd world country who aren't afraid to drag/drop hundreds of mailboxes worth of email when necessary? I dont know how else they could do it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Rouge POP device grabbing it all? Those are always fun.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Calidus posted:

Because I am lazy and I don't really know what I am doing when it comes to exchange, I got a quote for migrating 20 mailboxes from exchange 2007 to exchange 365. The quote was 30 hours of billable time(at $125/hour)? Is that reasonable? It seems kinda high to me.

Do you have a pre-existing relationship with the vendor? Eg do they have access to your network and a reasonable idea of the state it's in. If not, that might explain it, they will have padded the estimate in case your AD and Exchange are horribly horribly broken. It's easier to give a higher initial estimate to allow for unknowns than go back later and say "but you really have 55 mailboxes and exchange 2003, we need more money".

sanchez fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

orange sky posted:

I hope I'm getting this right, I was hoping you guys could help me:

If I have a primary Exchange 2013 site and a DR site, a 5 node (3+2) cluster wouldn't work, would it?

Wouldn't the breakdown on one site (with 3 servers) bring the quorum down due to losing majority? Can I add a File Share Witness so that it stays up?

You really need a third location, put a witness up in EC2 or something.