Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

The final pages of Incredible Hulks #635, the end of Greg Pak's run with the character. There was just a big storyline involving characters good and bad getting splashed with a wishing well and their wish magic clashing with each other. In the end, Hulk gives up an eternity of gleefully fighting Red She-Hulk and a world of demons so he can save Earth. Red She-Hulk still has a little bit of wish magic left on her, so she wishes that Bruce -- not Hulk -- would get what he wants. Nothing seems to happen and the villain Tyrannus points out what nobody else has realized: Banner and Hulk are not two different entities. They're just one guy who has trouble dealing with his issues and has to blame someone else. Hulk throws a hissy fit that knocks everyone away, turns back into Banner and walks off alone, saying "Yeah. You got me."

Two weeks later, Amadeus tracks him down at a diner in the middle of nowhere.

The waving on the last page is adorable.

That is a terrifyingly adorable way to end a Hulk story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why the hell am I sad about that?! I haven't read Nintendo Power in like 15 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is that before or after Bruce's son died? Because man it'd be pretty lovely to pull that and then have Bruce basically become a shithead in his grief.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atmus posted:

That's why I'm disapointed that the Magog title didn't last long. Having him kill a bunch of drug smugglers or something, point out how Superman or The Flash could have cleaned up the whole border within an hour, and that all the superhero community was going to do was send Green Lantern to ask how many people he killed 'this time', really made an otherwise meh character pretty interesting.

Eh. It's tiresome because it basically relies on status quo shields to exist as a story. When the only reason that either A) Superman doesn't deal with drug problems or B) Green Lantern doesn't throw your rear end in jail is "DC editorial says they can't," that's not a very interesting story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

I'd post some The Boys panels if I had any handy, Ennis brutally takes down the idea that any Superhero could possibly lead to a functional government.

The only argument the Boys makes is a bitter and childish one.

The reason that no superheroes are allowed to have any long-term positive effect is because the status quo doesn't allow it, not because it's impossible. Secret Identity, for example, ends with the idea that superhumans are becoming a part of society and that superpowers can be used for things beyond punching dudes. (Super speedsters functioning as couriers, for example.) It's allowed to, however briefly, explore something like that because it isn't beholden to a status quo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Oh good, that'll fix the legions of kids/morons who hate Superman because he's "too powerful" and like Batman because he's "realistic." Should have just called it the "kick Superman in the dick simulator 3000" and punched out for the week.

The full story mode is out on The Tubes and that isn't really how it plays out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just can't take Batman clutching his head screaming "What did you do?!" like that at all seriously. It looks so ridiculous, especially in that art style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, every time someone post something from the Alpha comic, it seriously looks pretty fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Enough about the blood and rape already.

This really should be the subtitle to the entire forum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

He also has a pet coyote now!

That coyote is going to die so hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

It's a good thing that's not what Injustice is!

I doubt they really will change their mind upon hearing it's technically a fighting game, not a beat 'em up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

The fact that Bendis wrote Ultimate JJJ's whole story from start to finish does not excuse that whole last Peter revival story (which included JJJ's death) from sucking.

It's okay. Ultimate Peter was murdered by a vampire a few days later. Even if he survived that he'll be dead when his universe dies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I have no interest in reading the comic anymore. The argument of "judge the work, not the creator" is great when analyzing the work but it doesn't apply when you're talking about supporting the work. (Even if you're just supporting it with pageviews.) It's a shame but nobody forced him to be a giant creepo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Batman gets to keep his connection to Bruce Wayne's associates secret, but what about the Gordon family?

Well, prior to the reboot the Joker murdered his wife and crippled his daughter so that's a pretty good argument in favor of secret identities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But they didn't make Godzilla lonelier. As the first of a new kid Godzilla was able to have children!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Depends which of the 80 different Godzilla timelines you go by.

Aside from the new one is there one where Godzilla doesn't have babby godzookis?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

any of the Millennium ere Godzillas (except Final Wars I guess sorta.) Frankly, GINO's the only one to actually have children of its own. Big G always went with adoption regardless of the film. I'm not even sure if Minya is the same species to begin with.

Adoption still means he has more of his species around. (And frankly if there is a mysterious egg around that means SOMEONE is making more godzookis.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've heard a lot of complaining about those pages and I donno why. They're real good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

What's to complain about?

I've heard people saying that Groot is arguing that the old Marvel characters are the problem and the new (i.e: female/non-white) ones are the 'good' thing. Which feels like a huge misreading of the page but y'know, assholes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morrison-M and Morrison-D both exist at the same time but can never be in the same room or it will cause space-time itself to distort into a fracture-universe whereupon all things exist at once and yet do not exist at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like there is strange subtext in a transformer talking about his people being turned into marketable toys for humans to buy but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is from those panels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I can't keep track of any of those drat robots from panel to panel.

I hoenstly have that problem when Transformers stuff is posted too. I imagine it's easier if you're reading it and get familiar with the characters but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is always bewildering to me that someone took the ideal of Cable and Deadpool and made it work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

Also it doesn't work so well in comic when a few pages later Jonathan heat visions his cat to death, leaving only a charred skeleton.

Curse you Dr. Manhattan! Stealing all the good from the universe! Thank god we have Geoff Johns here to assure our comics are happy and optimistic now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It's going to him learn how to use his powers. This is him realizing that he needs to learn how to control his powers. With Clark it was breaking Pete Ross's arm.

"I accidentally broke someone's arm" and "I horrifyingly murdered a pet" are not remotely on the same spectrum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hup posted:

Also, he pretended to be gay because he thought it'd make him look cool, which is gauche as gently caress. Beast is just the worst.

... Did Beast really do this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Well enough about Literally-Hitler-Beast.

This got posted on imgur a couple of days ago, and it's everything I love about Spiderman :allears:

Amazing Spider-Man 662

I really appreciate that this isn't random chance but something Peter actively set out to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WH40K feels like it ran into the problem of being a joke that an uncomfortably large section of the fanbase started taking REALLY SERIOUSLY.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinitum posted:

"And how will you be paying for all these alarms sir?"
WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I think at the time Wally West was literally rich but I may be misremembering.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd possibly be more impressed by Superior Spider-Man if it hadn't been running alongside Scarlet Spider which did the story of an ex-supervillain Spider-Man redeeming himself through interactions with other people infinitely better than Superior Spider-Man did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Well don't post panels of it or anything

Captain Bravo posted:

Kaine needed to understand that he already was a good person.

The interesting thing about Kaine was that he wasn't necessarily a good person. He was brutal, violent and without responsibility but also not heartless. He wanted to be a good person but was haunted by his own impulses, the literal monster inside of him, and his past, all of which hurt his attempts to be someone else. it would have been just as easy for Kaine to give up and go off to Mexico (which is what happens at the end of the series, though admittedly to set up New Warriors) rather than continue to struggle with the difficulty and pain of being a hero.

It's a lot more interesting to me and I don't think it's a different side of the same coin. I think it's just much better executed. Superior Spider-Man on the other hand is just "haha, I'm a supervillain but I'm Spider-Man!!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Kaine may have gotten a second chance at life and been mystically cleansed and all that but you can't shrug off the kind of monstrosities he did as a villain and say you're a good guy now. Sure, I rooted for him in his book, but the question "Can I be a good person" is a real one when you were an unrepentant murderer for like a decade (or 2 months or however the sliding timeline works).

:jerkbag:

It's also worth remembering that Kaine was passed down (from near word of God none the less) that he existed because he could be the blighted murdering bastard that Peter Parker never could and he specifically could not be the hero Peter was because Peter needed to remain unsullied because ~plot device.~ And for good or ill he's the kind of dude who does stuff that event Agent Venom finds abhorrent, regardless of how justified lobotomizing Carnage might seem.

Kaine was a murderer, an assassin, and an all-around rear end in a top hat who veered between selfish and basically 90s Venom and "can this guy actually be a hero instead of merely someone who kills bad people' is an ongoing part of his entire book that he isn't just a good guy in a bad lot but someone who genuinely did very bad things but with a spark of something more in him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 13, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vision has always been kind of like Martian Manhunter in that his power set is absolutely absurd but he isn't popular enough to get it treated like it should be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Pretty funny that Marvel has way more legacy characters than DC now when that was supposedly DC's big thing before Flashpoint

Yeah. Funny. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bringing Ultimate Peter Parker back just to murder him with the rest of his universe is like the dumbest loving thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: With health insurance you can get that 1,000 years down to just 250! :woop:

Wow, health insurance in the Marvel universe is loving great. Only 1/4th the cost?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

That's after you've met the deductible. It involves finding planets for Galactus to eat. :btroll:

EDIT: ^^^^^^ Who's the space hobo with his faithful M.U.L.E.?

Still better than what I got.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They're all "noble kings who must make HARD DECISIONS for their people" (see also: Black Bolt, certain versions of Magneto/Cyclops, ect) which is mostly an excuse to write a supervillain but pretend they're sympathetic because it's for a GOOD CAUSE. T'Challa is the best of that lot admittedly but the fact he's lumped in with them is a problem.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

What's funny to me about the reveal of the "Warden" in that Injustice issue is that This little doozy was my first exposure to Plas as a kid.

Incidentally, how fast can Eels change himself? Cause it looks like he's outracing Barry Allen Flash with those fingers...

Plastic MAn changes at least as fast as Elongated Man who is canonically established as being able to compete with Barry Allen's speed with his shifting. (That was one of the things he was originally introduced with, his shapeshifting and stretching was 'rocket-fast.')

That probably doesn't hold up to SPEED FORCE GOES FAST Flash but at very least their shifting is absurdly fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I don't think there's a continuity where Gotham City is associated with 'happiness'.

This is the same Batman where his idea of play is beating up a skinny dude with no fighting abilities.