Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

It's kinda amazing how big of a middle finger to Superhero comics Irredeemable is(behind only Wanted and The Boys) when Mark Waid is normally a pretty big superhero fanboy as far as I can tell, but then again it's almost impossible to write a pisstake on Superheroes without coming off like a douchebag(Watchmen, Miracleman, Supergod, and certain aspects of 90's era Valiant are the only straight examples where this works as far as I'm aware of), probably cause it just almost always comes off as too mean spirited and bleak to have any value left to it

This is why Astro City is so amazing. Instead of being all "superheroes are stupid and here is a whole thesis story why" it actually explores the kind of optimism and wonder it would be like to live in a world of superheroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be the touching/inspiring thread, and even though this isn't a panel, it should belong here.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I'd still really like to see the math that explains why Human + Oz + Spider = Spider-like human, but Human + Oz + Human = giant green horned maniac.

I took it to be an outer manifestation of what a giant arsehole Osborne is.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Superman: Secret Identity was pretty good at explaining why someone might need...well a secret identity. Mostly due to the government might wanting to own/operate/control the most powerful being on earth and not let him have a life of his own.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
And here I was thinking the whole point of Aunt May was that she was at deaths door all the time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Um, old ladies keeping arsenic around and killing people is a well documented phenomenon

Little known fact: Aunt May was secretly going to poison Uncle Ben but a mugger got to Ben first. She has never told Peter about this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well you see DC is the worst and anything that proves otherwise doesn't exist so ipso facto nerd!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Keru posted:

I love that Alfred somehow got confused and went as The Punisher instead.

While Bruce doesn't like using guns, Alfred really has no problem with them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

mind the walrus posted:

Something about the composition makes me read Magneto as all smug about his past trauma, like he can't wait to pull out that card whenever he starts being a rampaging dickhead against humans. He says it in the same inflection of "actually it's pronounced 'kin-wah'"

Yea, the way he is standing and with the arms folded make it look like he is more smug about it then anything else. Reading the passage without the pictures is fine, but the artwork/composition is wonky.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
And who did the complaining?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cabbit posted:

I don't think her power set really lends itself well to TV like, say, Luke Cage or Daredevil.

Considering the stuff Flash is doing, I think a Ms. Marvel show is totally doable.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
His mini written by Tomasi with art by Mahnke was pretty cool too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I want to hear more cool stuff about Kingdom Come, but this isn't really the right thread for it. Maybe move to the DC thread? Or make a thread just for KC? You could always do a Let's Read thread, though those haven't been terribly successful in the past and most everyone's read KC by this point, I'd imagine.

Seconding this, but probably in a different thread. All these small details are awesome.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fuego Fish posted:

You know, I love how they wrote this big, convoluted storyline in order to retcon away Peter and MJ's marriage so that Spider-Man would be "more relateable to the reader" and then within ten years of that, he's the head of a multinational corporation.

Judging by the panels above (I haven't read the comics) there was also a period of time where his body was taken over by the mind of one of his enemies and that is why he can't date that woman. I can totally relate.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RottenK posted:

pretty doom is for my yaoi fanfics

My Doom on Doom slashfic is one step closer to being published by Marvel.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This is the only Spiderman theme song you need. So great guitar riffing. So 90's.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

purple death ray posted:

It was very different. Harvey was cured and had his face fixed but he started dating a woman who turned out to have a twin, and that fact alone started the cracks in his psyche. The twin turned out to be manipulative and homicidal and starts turning Harvey back towards the dark side.

This imgur album has the whole comic:
http://imgur.com/a/kAl7l

Story and art by Bruce Timm, Dini had nothing to do with it.

Batman: Black and White Vol. 1

I always preferred Two-Face as the conflicted villain more than the outright villain. The fact that he depends on his coin a lot pushes into this a lot. I really don't like the outright villain crime boss angle a lot of writers go with.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just finished reading Blue is the Warmest Colour and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to read some good graphic novels. I wanted to post the last few pages but:
A. I just returned it back to the library
B. GIS isn't really pulling much except the first few pages (in French) and the more....explicit....pages of the book.
But really the whole thing would probably fit in with this thread and I really do suggest people check it out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

hiddenriverninja posted:

Comics Alliance shut down at the beginning of April, and Comics Beat put up a page from Daytripper by Gabriel Bá and Fabio Moon at the end of their article:

Just a reminder that Daytripper is an amazing book and everyone should read it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Batman Adventures #33. Bruce Wayne decides to take a day off from being Batman and spend some time with a woman he genuinely cares about, and takes her and her kid to the movies.

He then makes a really lovely excuse to leave her and the kid and tracks down the mugger as Batman. He even brings the baseball cap back to the kid and assures him that the 'bad guy' will never threaten him or his mom again. But, of course....

:smith:

Still hold that TAS Batman(in all iterations) is the best Batman.
I have always heard that the Batman: TAS comics were surprisingly excellent reads, and I should probably look for them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

That's right, Mullet Superman (and giant bearded Luthor) met TAS Batman years before the awesome 3-parter in the Superman cartoon, and had a pretty boring adventure together.

Ha, I actually had this comic and would read it over and over again until the cover came off. Man I used to love reading comics when I was a kid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

cosmic odyssey #4

Superman's expression in that third panel really shows what an impact that punch was.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
edit: wrong thread

Madkal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 21, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kammat posted:

Way the country's been going, I needed a little dose of idealism to remember that we're not always so horrible. Sandman #54 had an excellent retelling of the original Prez story and it's always been a favorite. The ending always gets me.

You could pretty much post the entire issue. I love that the core idea of it is America as an ideal worth chasing, rather than reality worth suffering. It is really one of my favourite Sandman stories.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Pretty much all of Batman #37 could go here, Funny Panels and Badass threads, the whole "double date with Superman/Lois and Batman/Catwoman".

Batman managing to hit a pitch thrown by Superman is peak :spergin: but pretty much perfectly done as the end of the comic.

In regards to your spoiler if Superman threw the ball any faster the ball would break apart and therefore wouldn't be considered a strike

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Seriously recommending his Omega Men run here because that comic is amazing and everyone should read it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
An he looks like the Beastie Boys would kick his arse (and I say that as a fan of the Beastie boys)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I used to love love love Garfield as a kid and would re-read the collections so many times. The cartoons were great too (and if want some tears watch the 9 Lives of Garfield cartoon for some well deserved tears) and that strip posted above hit the right spot.
Given Davies admiration for fan stuff, and even off beat stuff like Garfield without Garfield, I could see him really appreciating that fan strip.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

It's just as well.

I'm not crying, you're crying!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I remember reading that comic. It is one of my earliest memories of reading any comic ever. I think it was Pan's flute that made him sprout horns and then he decided to dress up as Batman and fight crime because he could fit the horns under Batman's cowl.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The "R" one really hits home.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Which was the one with nuclear power villain? Either way everything after Superman II was just coke inspired craziness.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like how Adam first has to beat Saint Nick in battle before making his request. Kind of like "I need to ask a favour but first I must defeat you in battle to show you I am better than you"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lobo killed Santa Claus because the Easter Bunny was jealous. I thought this was cannon for the DCU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

Right after that he said he doesn’t like Taika’s humor. That’s where I stopped reading.

I will not take lightly any insults about the guy who made Jojo Rabbit.

Admittedly I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit yet (between the criticism of the film that I have read and just having finished some very heavy reading about the Holocaust seeing the movie that the AV Club compared to Life is Beautiful didn't really appeal to me) but I would say What We Do in Shadows best exemplifies Taika's humour.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Spider-Verse #1: Alright people let's do this one last time. 11-year-old Penelope Parker has been bitten by a radioactive spider!

snip a few scenes and Penny has just saved her very first life (Flash Thompson).

I really want a sequel/spin-off to explain why Uncle Ben has a lucha mask

I too need to know about Uncle Ben's Lucha mask. Did he get stuck in Tijuana and make a bad bet and to save his friends life he had to wrestle the Blue Demon? Why did he have a spider themed mask? What was his name?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

akulanization posted:

Dying is the only good thing a fascist can do. So a positive arc.

The only good thing Hitler did was that he killed Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looks like she told everyone. Still a good page