Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

I love that Fat Colossus is there, almost definitely a jab at that one cosplayer who shows up at cons.

Either that or he just ate too many of those awesome sandwiches with their own little belts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leper Residue posted:

I kind of felt the same way at first, but then I realized I've talked with customers who don't even know what grunge is. Basically, Yes. Grunge, which as stated earlier, is apparently retro. 80's is now The Oldies.

When I heard Under The Bridge on the local classic rock station, I knew it was basically over for our generation.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

We shouldn't have anyone dying of hunger anyway, with or without Superman. We could feed the whole world if we wanted to.

Holy poo poo. It's us. We are Lex Luthor.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, and of course Bruce wants to bat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Leper Colon V posted:

I was more noticing his weird robot arm.

His weird robot arm hovering two inches off of his gun. That's a face that's trying to keep all the pee inside because the owner of the face realizes he almost drew down on Batman Junior and freakin' Superman Himself.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Matt Damon plays the car that runs Brad Pitt over.

The first one or the second one?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

You've got it backwards. That's how he resuscitates flatliners.

Also works wonders for sprains, strains, and other injuries requiring electrical myostimulation

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, there was the time on JLU where Lex Luthor built an entire low-income housing community powered by a kryptonite reactor, just to piss Superman off.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have they discovered ways to end a sentence other than with a question or exclamation mark?

e: yes they have, sorry

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gordon shaved his tash, this is still loving tragic and dark.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I am 10000% sure that if I was offered a choice in weapons, one being made in Stevelandia, and one being QUENCHED IN THE FORGE USING WATER FROM THE RIVER DOOM, which one I would go with.

Well, clearly. Stevelandia is for shields.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Green Intern posted:

If you want some menacing Vader, Star Wars Rebels season 2 is the show for you.

Edit: only one ep into the second season though so they could still gently caress it up.

I'm gonna post a link to a youtube video over in the Star Wars comics thread, since this is no longer touching or inspiring.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

So Grimlock is like.. double retarded now?

Well, he was dumb as a post in the 80's Cartoon, but in most comics including IDW he's about as intelligent as you'd expect the leader of a special forces team to be.

Here, he was imprisoned on the same horrible planet that Fort Max was. Then he went missing, and the next time anyone saw him was when the Scavengers pulled him out of a weird rear end spaceship full of blood and wood. "Me Grimlock" was about the best he could manage.

Something hosed him up bad.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh, man, I just realized. James Roberts is British, and those flowers are poppies with the colours inverted.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Depends how much of it was a hot war. Sixteen million years of immortal stand-off.

There's a fair share of dialogue throughout IDW's books to suggest the 4 million year Cybertronian war was like this. Hundreds of thousands of years without a shot fired, punctuated by horrible massacres that left planets burning.

The 16 million years Saoshyant mentioned were between the Ammonites and Terradores, an entirely different set of big transforming robots, who in a few gag panels in one issue, trumped every thing about the Transformers. Whirl, the sociopathic camera-headed blue guy, ended their war off-panel and in seconds when he shot their version of Optimus Prime right in his face. I think that all got posted in the funny panels thread when the issue came out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I keep interjecting "Yeeessss" into his speeches :v:

I'm a little sad that he seems to be reverting already, though :smith: I like Happy Megatron and I'd rather he stayed as such.

Four million years of villanous peon-smashing is a tough habit to break. For what it's worth, he looked absolutely horrified and ashamed afterwards.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tell you what though, if rebooting Hanna-Barbera cartoons with realistic art is gonna be the new thing, I am pumped for Yogi Bear

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
-

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

I have a pet peeve about humanimals that are elaborately dressed but only from the waist up. It just looks so weird.

"You know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he's getting out of the shower, he always puts a towel around his waist. I mean, what is that about?" - Chandler 'Mrs. Chanandler Bong' Bing

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Good Lord. He's not just white, he's the whitest white guy.

Honkier than an ahwooga horn

Honkier than that analogy I just made

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

Gorr was right. Otherwise he wouldn't rock a sword so badass it somehow transcends how dumb it should be.

(I just finished Thor: God of Thunder in my Thor read through)

Do you mean ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD, THE SLICER OF WORLDS, THE ANNIHILABLADE?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Also those panels were way heavier than what I thought a Snagglepuss comic would be.

I dunno, I kind of expect heavy from the DC/Hanna-Barbera stuff after "We participated in a genocide, Barney."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goatman would have been a much different comic

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Sharks have very accurate senses

I gotta be honest, I was expecting the punchline to be "Candygram"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E's pinin' for the fjords

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wolverine Catches The Doubting Wheel and Cooks It Into Soup

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Dark Horse is supposed to be putting out a comic version of Gaiman's Norse Mythology book which has those stories in it.

The Danish Valhalla comic also gets into those (judging by the wikipedia article about it, since I've never read a one of 'em), as well as Thor and Loki at Utgard-Loki's castle, which is probably my favorite Thor tale I've heard so far.

That's the one where giants troll Thor into drinking the sea and lifting Jormungandr, but poo poo their pants when he almost sort of does it

Spoilering because while yes it's an ancient myth, but it's fun if you're hearing it for the first time

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

akulanization posted:

they were a society based on the brutal repression of a massive slave underclass. you do not in fact have to hand it to them.

athens is also pretty lame to be clear, but sparta is one of the most systematically evil societies to ever exist.

Right. I don't wanna get too long-winded, but judging Sparta by the rights and privileges of Spartiate women (which is what that Wikipedia article is talking about) is like judging America by the rights and privileges of its multimillionaires and billionaires.

And by "massive slave underclass", something like 85% of the population within Sparta's borders were helots, their slave class. (Compare to about 30% in the American South just before the civil war.) And, the brutal repression included formalized yearly war on the helots as well as terrorization by a secret police.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Posting these because of discussion in the funny panels thread

From Superman/Shazam: First Thunder #4 (2006)

(let me know if I'm reposting too much and I'll cut it down)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"I have bestowed the powers of the gods upon a mortal. It is my province to do so."

Fe: with the scorn Supes shows for sorcerers here, now I kinda want to see how he'd get on with Conan. (I'm guessing poorly, but you never know.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dog_Meat posted:

I hate myself for being that guy, but... if he suddenly turns into a vulnerable normal boy on top of Everest shouldn't he be dying of exposure and suffocation?

I used to follow the Everest threads

There's not enough oxygen to keep you alive long term, for sure, but it's not like you're going to flop over dead within the space of minutes. Nor from the cold.

Possibly he's also being protected by literal sorcery

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thinking about it, a better reference would have been how long you can usefully perform tasks after suffering a rapid decompression while at altitude (like if the windows fall out of your airplane): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness

Everest, at about 29000 feet, would give Billy about a minute before the mental effects of hypoxia took hold. Which is still enough time to have those panels in, but Supes would have likely had to hustle him back down the mountain before he passed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maduo posted:

Goku could not be more happy that his granddaughter's first instinct was to kick him in the face as hard as possible. A very Dragon Ball way to end.

"OK, but what if you hit me... really hard?":haw: