Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mister Roboto posted:

I'd post some The Boys panels if I had any handy, Ennis brutally takes down the idea that any Superhero could possibly lead to a functional government.

I doubt it, many books have tried, but they ultimately just end anti-climatically with most just falling back on the nebulous concept of "but my freedom!". Red Son is the best example of this. Which is a shame, until the end it was rather decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

McCloud posted:

Enough about the blood and rape already.

Mark Millar just closed his laptop in disgust at this suggestion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Madrox posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men #39

Wolverine and Cyclops, who have been at odds for a while now, are both caught in the same Sentinel Ambush™.

A bit cornball at the end maybe, but I liked it.

That last line is kind of corny and it also losses some of its impact from the fact logan hasn't really changed all that much so it also doesn't make sense.

Though it is nice to actually have those two characters talk instead of brood at each other or argue through proxies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gavok posted:

No matter how many times I read that last page, I keep seeing it as, "We tried to get her chemo to treat it, but we were $50 short."

I am pretty sure that is the intended message.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

It's pretty obvious, guys. Everyone's life is important, but some people's lives are worth more than others.

That is basically the theme of superhero comics so it fits.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Truly, you are judge, jury, and executioner when it comes to looking at a comic.

I don't think this is in dispute so it doesn't matter?

Like his guilt isn't in question so this makes no sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Retconning them as siblings was such a stupid-rear end way to resolve the love triangle. It adds absolutely nothing to the story.

I think the absolute worst thing about the expanded universe was all the writers who were like "Jedi are the real assholes if u think about it!!! Let me introduce shades of gray in this morality play where the bad guys look like space nazis and wear black robes. I am very deep and will blow ur mind."

I didn't know George Lucas wrote for the eu.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also the second game had a better story and it was all about that grey.
kreia loving owned.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

Part of Peter having his own company is that it's way past the norm for him. Mid twenties millionaire inventer is kind of a thing these days. It's a good power fantasy to couple with being a costumed adventurer. Peter is still relatable because he doesn't act like a corporate suit, he's still a goofy nerd with a good heart.

It's not exactly that Peter is always broke that makes the character relatable, but that he's constantly on the verge of losing everything. Eventually Parker Industries will be destroyed by the Green Goblin, or bought out by Puma (remember him?). This multinational house of cards is making the current volume of Amazing Spider-Man a must read for life long reader who only ever broke from his collection because Slott took over.

Actually they stated him being a broke man child was what made him relatable. They weren't talking about an ideal but a specific position. Mainly because it is all bullshit that was meaningless from the start.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

The Brian Michael Bendis "Why did you even bother with art?" award. :v:

Am I the only one that thinks forcing that much dialogue onto a one-page panel leaves the entire thing feeling stilted?

Yeah I got half way through that but just couldn't finish it. To many words that are unnecessary.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Yes let's hold up 70 books because one is running late.

To be fair they only have to do this because of terrible planing on their part,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

True fridging is the ultimate compliment, if you think about it,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Ok, seriously, context would really help. I don't even know who that is. That might as well be a text box saying "Something sad happened."

A character died. She is a superhero. There honestly isn't much more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is a lovely looking robot, but a fairly decent gun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

seaborgium posted:

Wait, what the hell did he do? I know it's been a while since I read X-Men but drat.

He committed genocide once. Actually a couple times.

He also once told of cyclops for commissioning a black ops team, while siding with the guy who lead said team.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jesus Christ Hank.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Morrison ruined a lot of X-men really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

I don't know, but I've never been surprised by people not liking it. It takes the X-Men, and their readers, outside their comfort zone. It was my first encounter with Morrison's work as an impressionable sixteen year old, and it really changed how I looked at my childhood favorites, and comics in general.

My comfort zone is good comics and consistent characterization so that is true in a sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Magenta is a man trying to protect his people through any means necessary, that is hugely sympathetic.

Doom is just a dick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Autocorrect has owned me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Chaos Hippy posted:

There's a reason everyone but BSS likes his Spider-Man run.

Wish fulfillment?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The first TMNT movie is legit good, the rest completely change tone and aren't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Did Gruen ever introduce a Vietnam vet named War Crimes.

And was his weapon a flame thrower.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 26, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Superior Spider-man is so bad. Jesus.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Maybe but it's the freshest Spiderman had been in fifteen years

A slightly different tired cliche is not what I would call fresh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

That speaks more to the state of Spiderman comics overall than anything

True.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Oh, man, you guys made me go look back at my Marvel Graphic Novels.

God bless Chris Claremont.

She's not wrong.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

It's stupid but not like it came out of nowhere. A constant of his run was Osborn "dying" and coming back to life. Like the previous time that he died his goddamn head got removed but he still returned.

Yep it was the catalyst of Peters original death and it's the reason I hate that story. Norman's original end was great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The death of Spider-Man is just a really bad story that is meant to tug at the heartstrings and give a sagging title a boost.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Batman is a rich dude to the bone

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

no don't talk about that :argh: that was just dumb

So was his death so it evens out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

Why is punisher shooting any of those three people?

Because Frank is not well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Flinstones is the dumbest thing.

It's so bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Could someone post some? Because all I ever see is what if modern thing was actually in the past?

But it doesn't do anything funny or interesting with it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well I mean people post the flintstones so anything goes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah both look bad but one does look a bit worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Sold. Replace Laura with Wade.

Never let Wade die like he should have in the 90s

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well did it?

Because if it didn't that kind of makes you the rear end in a top hat.

Nah I am kidding you are the rear end in a top hat either way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Comic readers and manga readers making GBS threads on each other is the most glass houses thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Manga/Anime has its own quarantined sub forum for a reason.

So does comic books but thanks for proving my point I guess

Ironically the exact opposite of this conversation also happens there.