Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shageletic posted:

I'm surprised no one posted anything Daredevil #7 yet.

Setup: Daredevil takes kids from a school for the blind for an annual trip. However, this year, things get complicated as the school bus crashes and he is left out in the countryside with eight 9 year olds, with snow falling and temperatures dropping close to zero. The countryside plays havoc with his senses so he's pretty much blind, also he's badly injured. The kids are exhausted enough to start dropping off and collapsing.

This current Daredevil run has been amazing at humanizing him and showing the he's not just a dude with good senses but is a blind man who happens to have honed his other senses. Putting him out of the city and into the wild was an amazing way to show how no matter how good he trains himself he's still that blind guy terrified about what was out in front of him. That issue most of all was a work of brilliance with the use of silence and the writing for the children, and yea that last panel pretty much summed the entire point of this arc up perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm pretty sure Ben Grimm is one of the very best and one of the very best used characters in comics. That scene is a real tearjerker.

He really is. It's so easy to gently caress up 'man or monster' concepts but somehow Ben is constantly done as a phenomenal character.

Hulk's been hosed up a lot but that scene really was perfect for a character like that, he's been through it all, he knows exactly what it's like to have all that rage you have no clue what to do with, so he just lets pretty much the only dude in the Marvel universe who gets it do what he needs because he can handle it.

Really that whole arc was a wonderful handling of the concept.

Also yea, Spider-Man Annual's thing will always be one of the most iconic tearjerker moments to a lot of comic fans. I also dig the Batman posted from the new issue, I always love when Bruce explains his deal. I always thought it was super easy for Superman and Wonder Woman and the like to say 'don't kill' because they quite literally are 'above it', they might as well be straight up gods compared to the normal person, and they fight giant alien computers and satan and poo poo. Batman's a normal guy who spends most of his time fighting mafia and serial killers and all with only a lovely bat costume and fancy boomerangs. When that dude says 'no, seriously, no killing' it means a lot more.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

I never caught onto the subtext to that interaction the first time around, but I'm guessing Osborn knows exactly what it feels like to think of yourself as a good person then suddenly remembering you're actually a monster.

Yea, it's easy to forget the full context for that little interaction, but once you remember Osborn's history and all you see it in a really more gut-punchy light.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jetfire posted:

Ah, makes sense I guess. I've only ever read the first volume and that was from...2000? Yeesh. I'm going to assume half that wardrobe hadn't been invented yet.

Yea, Ultimate is basically 'classic' Spider-Man, everyone's a high school student and all.

I really loved the Spider-Men stuff, I was worried it would suck because it's super easy to gently caress that up, but the writing perfectly fit Peter's awkward but altruistic nature. His interactions with Gwen were amazing too, but yea the end with May really was a well done payoff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Scaramouche posted:

This is touching and inspiring to me because Joe Kubert died today:

If you really wanted to include all the characters he worked on that panel would be substantially larger. A class act, and a great talent.

I had no idea he died :smith:

I never got a chance to meet him but friends who have said he was nothing but a pleasure who was still super pumped to talk about comics.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, but I thought Jor-El was supposed to be pretty well respected, not just "some crazy scientist". So if I were on a planet where (presumably) interplanetary travel is possible, I might just take a little vacation, spend a week over in scenic Daxam, whatever.

Jor-El was respected but the comics have made it clear Krypton was kinda a jerk-planet. They thought he was just making mountains out of molehills (or in some universes just thought he was a crazy lying jerk for some reason) because hey, it's superman planet, nothing can stop superman planet.

Also depending on the universe Brainiac may have been involved in trying to cover up the findings so he just looked like he was talking out of his rear end.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Grundy is a character who's either a boring 'let's draw the bad guy getting beat up a ton because he'll just get back up' thing, or a tearjerker.

The former is kinda boring but sometimes results in a cool interpretation of his looks and style like Arkham City had, but drat the latter makes him totally worth it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WickedIcon posted:

Achewood, April 22, 2010. No context needed.

"Life ees cruel... But at least eet is life, at least for a while." :qq:

I forgot how touching this was in a comic with so much bizarre humor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Baron Bifford posted:

I wonder how Emperor Joker would have played out had they used the Heath Ledger Joker.

Poorly, his joker was more focused on the raw chaos and anarchy of the world, I really think that arc relies on the Joker seeing everything as one big joke that's gone over its time. Chaos would want to reform the world and all, but that Joker just wants the punchline to come for everyone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bobkatt013 posted:

They did the same thing in the show Supernatural. In fact there is a character that is based on death in it. You can also see a lot of infulenses from Hellblazer and Preacher in it.

Yea Supernatural's Death is one of my favorites, he does the whole 'yea I have the power to kill you, I can do that to anyone at any time, it's mundane to me, relax' thing really well. He gets a few really good speeches too where he basically tells people to shut their holes because death gives zero fucks about god and demons and the grand plan for things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

I stopped watching Supernatural after the Four Horsemen/Lucifer season because, seriously, the show was NEVER going to get any better than that. The Death episode was absolutely spectacular, I love how completely out of everybody's league he is. When he mutters irritably about being constrained by Lucifer who he considers a prattling child, that was pretty chilling, but my favorite exchange is probably (paraphrased):

Death: God and I are so old, we forget which of us is older. Nevertheless, one day I shall kill him too.
Dean: ....you're... going to kill God?
Death: Of course. Why not?

Yea I know it's not a comic but I'd totally post the scene where, after having to fight a bloody fight with all three other horsemen, the brothers are just given Death's ring because hey, gently caress you Satan for trying to boss Death around.

He also had a good bit in a later season when they summoned him and bound him, and were utterly terrified the whole time because they had no idea if he was going to just break out and reap them.

Death, in any media, is a character that either gets done really well or really poorly, it seems.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mister Chompers posted:

drat, I haven't read any Ultimate Spider-Man since Peter died, looks like I'll have to rectify that.

It's been really loving good. Bendis is hitting homers left and right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The whole Pete/Aunt May thing has been written in ways that range from lame to just plain near incestuous, but yea in the death/fallout arc it got really well written.

Death of Spider-Man could have been terrible really easy, but it came out as the perfect end to Peter's story. It's Marvel so I'm sure next year he'll come back in some bullshit 'oh I was only FAKING it for some stupid reason' or the like, but for now the arc has been excellent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
poo poo it has hasn't it? I always forget that Ultimates in general are kinda left to do their own thing, so yea maybe the typical comic book curse of 'death is meaningless' will stick. I know Bendis sure as hell wants to avoid ruining something he loved doing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea when I was young I didn't like him much because 'oh man he has all the powers who cares', but as I grew up and still kept reading him every once in a while that whole 'we love him because he has all this power but still sees the base ideals of humanity to be the ultimate guiding force even when we ourselves don't' thing really was able to sink in. He's really easy to write off as a dude who just does anything, but you have to look past that for it to really be powerful. I don't know, maybe it was because I was a depressed teenager and all, but that whole thing really touched me in a way my 'oh man Batman's so badass and Spider-Man is nerdy just like me this is awesome' comics didn't.

The world needs Superman, not just in his comics.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RandallODim posted:

Also, Supes' expression while just no-selling Batman's massive haymaker is hilarious.

"Bruce, we've done this before man quit that poo poo."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

McCloud posted:

Alright, you twisted my arm.

The story starts out with Superman rescuing a homeless person from almost dying of starvation. Vowing to do something about this, he talks to congress and agrees that instead of letting all that surplus grain and food go to waste, they gather it up and he'll take it to impoverished nations himself. Done and done, they load up the food in giant containers, and he sets of like Santa Clause, only with bagels instead of toys or whatever.

The first couple stops go well. People are happy to see him, and he leaves the food and keeps going. But soon, trouble starts.

In the end, Superman has two choices if he wants a better world. He can either lead by example, and hope that one day humanity chooses to follow out of our own free will, or he can force us by becoming a benevolent (and probably violent) dictator.

It's the "Catch them if they fall" vs the "put the whole world in a bottle" approach.

"The rocks shatter against me or bounce harmlessly off. Every one hurts."

Goddamned if that's not the perfect line to sum up that entire story.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hellbunny posted:

As fantastic as these are (and that entire ...run? paperback? Collection?)they show pretty clearly supermans weakness: He's far to liberal for his own good. The fact that he reasons with dictator rather than overthrows them is pretty weird. And why would anyone object to him helping them? The essentially turned superman into a metaphor for the U.S. which IS pretty goddamn questionable.Superman should be above that.

Because at that point what ground does he have to stop Lex next time he tries to take over the country or whatever? Does it just become who can make their message the most palatable to the masses?

Superman doesn't heat-vision the dictator because he can't treat humans that way. What happens after the dictator's head is a smoking crater, does he stick around and monitor elections? Does he pick the new leader? Does he just fly off and leave the country to a civil war? Does he then have to do that to every country with a dictator? What about a country who freely elects someone lovely, does he come back to the US if we elect some guy who fucks something major up and heat-blast him?

Superman is better than Lex because he thinks about those things, Lex's answer to all those is 'it's cool, I'm Lex Luthor, I got this' and to send in robots, Superman lets humanity be humanity, and hopes that in our worst we can remember our best.

As for people not liking him, it's a blend of propaganda from their leaders and the general factor of hey some random poor guy in a former soviet territory doesn't keep up to date with a lot of stuff, some dude in a funny costume flying down with a huge pile of food saying 'go on, eat' makes them go 'uh no, this is a trick or something'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Avulsion posted:

Superman can't lead the government because he's an illegal immigrant, but there's nothing stopping him from using his investigative reporter skills and super powers to find a slightly more honest politician and then use his super-popularity to campaign on their behalf. Of just endorse a regular politician and say "Hey, you work for me, not the corporations."

There are a lot of ways superman or any other hero could improve the world, but the stories ultimately devolve into lifting heavy things, punching bad guys and making speeches because that poo poo sells comics. If they were able to effect any meaningful change on the world around them it would threaten the long term financial viability of the franchise, so they just keep pushing that boulder up the hill.

So instead of running the country in a public, accountable, way he'd run it in some shadow leader position. Yea, that'd be better.

The point of this is, aside from the basic problem of 'who decides who the bad guy is in world affairs', giving one dude with the power to punch you into orbit total control over governments is basically the exact opposite of everything Superman believes in. What happens if he backs the wrong guy? He's not a mind reader, what if the dude he backs is just another dictator who is smarter than the last and knows how to hide it better at first? Does he get a do-over? Does he get to freeze breath anyone who goes 'uh maybe we get to pick our leader and not some rear end in a top hat from space?'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rotinaj posted:

Isn't the point that we're supposed to infer that this exact kind of thing has happened time and time again, leading to major life disappointments over and over and over?

I dunno, it's not so bad.

I dunno I know circumstances for this stuff are different for everyone but I've dealt with alcoholics in the family that were pretty fuckin bad but I can't imagine going into a room seeing them half naked and surrounded by wrecked poo poo and just going "WELL I loving HATE YOU THEN", like, I wouldn't believe that magic monsters forced them to drink but I'd be going 'holy poo poo what did you do' at least.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

404GoonNotFound posted:

Keep in mind that the three kids have known the house is magic for 6 volumes now, and at one point the girl literally reached into her own head and removed the personification her own fear, leaving it locked in a jar inside her own nightstand (no idea if she ever put it back in, it's been a while).

So yeah, she's not a skeptic, just an rear end in a top hat.

Good point, completely forgotten that those kids have all had literal firsthand experiences with magic, so yea if mom's got her clothes torn up and magic pages (I assume?) all around her and goes 'nah the demons made me drink' I'd probably go 'oh, yea, the demons, those things we've all encountered as malicious spirits that feed on our worst elements? Ok cool you get one for demons."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That really wrecked me :smithicide:

I normally am not into the whole 'oh gawd the guy who just got hosed up was a super big secret fan of yours' thing but one of the few good things Injustice's comics have done is establish Flash as a dude who's just confused in all this. He's not the cool level voice of reason, he's not panicking and joining team 'gently caress the world' blindly, he's just kinda going 'oh gently caress what's happening why is everything around me turning to poo poo?' so this worked better than it normally does.

Also the writing was pretty good for it, no big sappy 'oh he loved you so much how could you forget the little people' just a realistic 'yea you're one of the most famous people on earth, of course you don't remember every random kid that wants a signed picture'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Someone either here or in the Injustice thread posted that stupid silver age "SUPERMAN, KING OF EARTH" cover that Superdickery loves and said it was more subtle in establishing Superman as a bad guy than Injustice.

I cannot disagree with that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TwoPair posted:

I would argue that it is a good comic once you get past the initial set up, but hey, to each his own.

There are a fair bit of good parts, yea. Harley gets a neat little arc where when Joker is gone she kinda becomes a good gal teamed up with Green Arrow kinda-sorta, and they have some fun moments. Flash has some good parts too when he goes 'oh so I can't really make goofs here, poo poo is grim'. There are a couple other decent arcs that escape me too.

It's not terrible, on the whole, but it has a lot of poo poo moments.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The way I always try to describe it is F4 is bout people being heroes, FF is about people being good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

I just can't take Batman clutching his head screaming "What did you do?!" like that at all seriously. It looks so ridiculous, especially in that art style.

In Injustice the game proper it was actually done pretty ok, just a quick bit with Batman going 'no, that's not Damien killed Dick, he was the one I saw as my son', kinda out of left field but decently voiced and Batman kept his stoic 'so now I'm gonna kick Damien's rear end up and down this street' look on.

Also, Dick Grayson, world's finest acrobat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I really hate how Injustice has some legit good moments, but such trash art it ruins it.

Like that little bit, Bruce and Selina in a tender moment with their masks off is a great theme that is common to Batman, and her showing up to basically be his rock because no one else can divorce badass Batman from Bruce like she can is a really great idea.

But nope, that gets shot when we get mutant rage Batman.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tremendous Taste posted:

Did it ever stop being Hu$tle 2.0?

Yea, it started having a lot of focus on the characters, their relationships, and their past demons and all, the heists and all kinda became a storytelling device rather than a focus by the end, which worked really well.

Leverage loving rules, now I'm sad it's off the air and not online anywhere.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wizbang posted:

Amazon has B:TAS in streaming; it's free if you have Prime

Holy poo poo since when? How did I miss that?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hakkesshu posted:

Wow, I just looked that up and saw that it was written by Mark Millar. I had no idea he was capable of anything resembling subtlety and emotion.

I had to google that myself just because I refused to believe it.

Where the gently caress was this Mark Millar all this time? Is there another page not posted where he shouts "YOU'RE LIKE THE CANCER THAT KILLED MY WIFE AND I'M GOING TO REMOVE YOU FROM THIS CITY BEFORE YOU CAN KILL MORE PEOPLE" at a criminal or something? I'm not able to handle him showing character emotion not wrapped in a big shouty fist fight.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LordHippoman posted:

D'awww. As someone who loves MM2 I'm glad Bubble Man gets a happy ending after being such a dork. Hopefully they can afford the same thing for Top M-

Oh. :smith:

I like that guys like Top Man and Magnet Man were just all 'yea and what the gently caress good are some of us' because yea not everyone with a 'I WAS BUILT ONLY FOR BATTLE' has a cool badass warrior thing going on, some of them are just really dumb rear end specific weapons.

I should read Megaman I guess?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

If you actually read the instruction manuals for the games, everyone but the Robot Masters from MM2 and MM5 actually do have a purpose besides "Crush Mega Man!". Top Man does space research!

Counterpoint, Star Man, he does space stuff and also is not a loving top.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you told me a couple years ago I'd give a poo poo about Megatron Having this weird robo-soul searching journey ending with him straight up renouncing violence and actually feel like it was a satisfying arc I'd have called you a liar but welp.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

10 Beers posted:

:3: I love Spider-Man so loving much. This is just one of the reasons he's been my favorite hero for 28 years.

Same, that was a great issue for reminding me how much I love Spider-Man. I agree with the guy saying it was good as a thing he planned out rather than random chance, Spider-Man's at his best when he's the guy who actually cares. Every not super edgy dark hero has moments like that obviously but they almost always feel most organic coming from him, because he's just some dorky kid who's own life is on a constant roller-coaster of poo poo, of course he wants to reach out to people he can empathize with and all. Most of his baddies are tragic stories too, that's why he works so well with them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea post-9/11 Cap unmasked himself as a show of being for America rather than glory and poo poo. One of the few 9/11 Marvel things that was actually pretty solid. Did that come with him making his big "America doesn't know what it is right now" speech or was that a Civil War thing?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

muscles like this! posted:

Sure are a lot of comics where Superman basically says Trump sucks.

it's what happens when we elect a super villain president.

We didn't even get cool battle suit Lex, we get lame fat Lex who wanted to kill Superman because somehow it meant he got to buy cheap land and poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

site posted:

Yeah but iirc Steve just sent him a bunch of poo poo to psych him out, there wasn't any proof that any of it was real and Bruce still was gamma capable right?

I think the pretty critical point of both comics is that we don't know if there was any proof or if Clint just got an overeager trigger(bowstring?) finger and assumed 'Banner's getting pissy and maybe kinda looking weird, poo poo HULK COMIN'.

It's important to remember this was a thing Bruce literally gave him and told him to use it if he ever even looked like he was gonna Hulk out again. Bruce was very worried about it and instilled in Clint a real feeling of 'seriously, if you delay and I go Full Hulk and start going wild you are 100% to blame for every bit that happens. Do your job and kill me or people will probably die.' It wasn't just Clint being all 'aw poo poo Bruce is mad' it was 'aw poo poo, the worst case for this person I care about as a friend is maybe happening, I can't let it happen or I'll never forgive myself'.

Until I'm inevitably disappointed this is actually one CW2 thing I'll actually defend as a solid way to move a character forward.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

(World's Finest #289)

:glomp:

Oh man I love this comic so much. This is from the one where Batman is beating himself up over not being able to save a dude and Superman is all 'I can literally move mountains to save people here but I'll never actually feel like a part of this world and I can't bring mine back' and the whole first chunk of what should have been a generic team up comic is actually a really soft moment where Batman and Superman just kinda be vulnerable with each other.

The team up itself is also great because it actually plays off that and leads to a genuinely sweet ending. It was one of the first team up comics that was played straight I ever read and it stuck with me forever. It's really worth getting if you're into the whole batman/superman dynamic

If I have my timeline right this was the start of the whole 'Batman and Superman are two sides of the same coin' storytelling device being a major DC theme, too, but I may be wrong there.

I think it says a lot both in favor of this and about how poo poo BvS was when three panels from ages ago do what Snyder thought the whole Martha thing was doing so much better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LashLightning posted:

I'm fairly sure that it was released to aid in promoting "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer", which is pretty amazing that this diamond came out of that pile of offal.

no way is that true, is it? That's a great example of a side thing far outlasting the thing it's meant to support then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
requiem is one of the few comics I've read that made me actually cry. Like not 'tear up' but I literally cried while reading it. I understand that's mostly because I'm a goddamn emotional wreck on a good day but still, not a lot of comic books do that to me. It's real loving good and I'm not even a huge Silver Surfer guy or anything.