Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm not arguing against flying people in leotards, I'm saying that selectively ignoring physics and reality to write your way out of a knot is lazy and contrived. It's like having Batman pull an Bat-Anti-Bullet spray out of his utility belt to avoid being shot in the face.

There ought to be a word for it. Kal-Ex Machina?

Hey, when Superman picked Connor off the boat going Ludicrous Speed without slowing down, Connor should have been turned into a fine red mist. But I let it go. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fuego Fish posted:

Morph is still around, yes. He was last seen helping out the new Exiles team, before the comic got cancelled (well before its time).

I didn't follow the comic all the way to the end, but I do remember that Morph isn't actually Morph -- he's that Scottish reality-warping guy in Morph's body, but with Morph's brain patterns written on top of his, which isn't exactly the same.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fuego Fish posted:

It's revealed that the crystals that were holding the bodies of the former Exiles, Morph included, were slowly "dissolving" them away. Although in a more technobabble kind of way. However, this worked out in Morph's favour, because the crystals got rid of Proteus first, returning Morph to his loveable self with no reality-warping Scot involved.

That's good to hear. I found it pretty depressing, what happened to Morph.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gavok posted:

I came here just to post that exact bit, actually. From New Avengers #16.

The opening bit is Hawkeye doing one of his little talking heads Avengers interviews when he's discussing how people online bitch and moan about who doesn't belong on the Avengers. How even someone like Cap gets badmouthed now and then.

This leads to an issue about Daredevil fighting the Nazi mechs from Fear Itself and then helping Squirrel Girl protect Danielle Cage. Three weeks later...

Between this, the Revengers and Ultimate Spider-Man, Bendis is really starting to get his mojo back.

I'm not sure if I agree with adding Daredevil to the Avengers (I like him, but I'd like to see a couple more high-power people on the team), and I think Bendis has done his "people talking to the camera" thing too much lately, but I really did love those bookend pages with the "bad Avenger/good Avenger" descriptions. (Although they could have made stronger "good" statements about Noh-Varr and Doc.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wade Wilson posted:

I kept thinking of some other sci-fi story I read about a guy that was plugged into some kind of war machine, sent out to a remote battlefield to save the world from an incoming alien threat. He succeeded, but the machinery was too badly damaged to return home for his hero's welcome, so the training system built into the ship and the AI that helped him constructed a similar happy ending life for him in the last few minutes he had before his brain died.

Basically what I'm saying is that it isn't a unique thing in any fiction at all and has been done to death, which is probably why there is a god drat Family Guy episode making fun of it.

I was thinking of the scene in "The Boys" where Tek Knight has a brain tumor that causes him to try to gently caress anything he can. He saves a woman and child from a falling wheelbarrow of bricks, and then you see his last thoughts, where his brain constructs a scenario where he has to save the world by loving an asteroid that's going to destroy everything.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

[Images removed for length.]

I love it when they write Thor as a big, strong motherfucker who's incredibly compassionate. You don't want to turn him into a touchy-feely hippie, but he can be such an incredible symbol of sad strength. Even Hulk is doing the big, strong, silent, sympathetic thing in that sequence, and it's fantastic. Not even wildly out of character for the Hulk, even. :3:

Mister Roboto posted:

Peter David is a drat good author who doesn't get the recognition he deserves. A lot of his stuff is really silly (which is probably why) but now and then he nails human emotion perfectly.

People see Peter David having fun with puns and forget that he wrote incredible stuff like "The Death of Jean DeWolff", which still makes me sad when I think about it. The guy's got talent, and he's gotten a lot of people having lovely attitudes toward him just because he was originally in the sales department.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 15, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rough Lobster posted:

I think Galactus was like an alien scientist or somesuch in an expired universe and was chosen somehow to become "the Galactus".

And his name was generally spelled "Galan". I'm not sure when it got turned into "Galen".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In the 3-D parts of Final Crisis ("Superman Beyond"), there were a bunch of bits where it was suggested that the Superman story was a kind of universal constant, or an Ultimate/Greatest Story. I think this fits into that kind of world view. (But it was Grant Morrison, and I can never trust I understand properly what he's saying.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes it does

For this issue, yes. Next issue, who knows? :ohdear:

(I almost teared up a little when Juston was losing it towards the end. I'm not sure I like having that kind of emotion. The thing with the dog was just unfair. :mad:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

amplifier worship posted:

I think you mean "classic". Growing up on comics in the early 80's, that poo poo was exactly why I even read the funny pages. The very water itself is poisonous! Fear not, citizen, for I, Thor, God of Thunder, shall summon the very winds of Asgard into a tremendous cyclone to do away with the threat that faces thee and thine! You've got to be loving kidding if you think superheroes using silly powers in a comic book to save lives is "lame".

I thought it was "lame" just because it wasn't the Hulk who saved the day. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SirDan3k posted:

I must also admit being disappointed it didn't resolve with a "HULK CHUG!" scene.

Thor could have chugged it, too. He once got in a drinking contest where he was tricked into drinking enough of the ocean that sea level changed noticeably.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I don't think everyone knows yet; just Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Hawkeye, Wolverine, and Daredevil. Clint just reminded him that he still owed him money and Logan said he figured he was still alive, and then they moved on.

How many of those guys have faked their death at one point or another?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Isn't Metropolis supposed to be based on Toronto?

I like the idea (can't remember where I read it) that Metropolis is New York City in the daytime, and Gotham is New York City at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Internet Alias posted:

Screw that bad writing here's more inspiring/badass Superman stuff, and the first story that made me realize Grant Morrison is one of the few perfect writers for Big Blue. Pretty sure this is from JLA #7. I forget exactly since I only have it in the trade American Dreams which I can't find right now but google says it collects #5-9.

At the beginning of the story electric Superman has a conversation with Wally West Flash about how people expect so much of them, he worries what might happen should they fail. Cue an invasion from an army of rogue angels. After giving the moon a magnetic pole in order to stop a demon from crashing it into Earth, Superman joins the fight and this happens.

This is why I love when Grant Morrison writes Superman, he gets that Superman's greatest power is to achieve the impossible when he needs to.

I thought his Wally West was interesting, too. He's a condescending jerk to Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner), but worshipful towards Superman. It's nice that he wasn't in full "jerk" or "fanboy" mode in general.