Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was the very first time I had a major emotional reaction to a comic.
From Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow by Alan Moore and Curt Swan. For those who have not read it the premise of the story is that Superman's foes have aligned against him and his friends are in danger so he gathers them together for protection.
A short time before this story Supergirl had died in battle and Clark is preparing himself for the inevitable final battle.

"He looked as if he'd been crying."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And now for the inspirational.

Action Comics #775. It shows us why Superman is still relevant but it shows that while he can and will use violence to win, in the end it's not the defining aspect of the character.

Edit: Right here, Superman has been stomped and humiliated by the Elite, a team of extreme "heroes" styled after the Authority. Beings not afraid to kill and not concerned with bystanders.

That last bit right there, that is everything that matters about Superman in the modern age.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

I've never been sure, but was Moore talking about CoIE here, or was that a happy coincidence that he managed to have Clark mourn her before the reboot?

It was COIE, the Death of Supergirl issue (#7) came out a few months before this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Killing small children

Heh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

whatsabattle posted:

Yeah and a MAN who can FLY? What the heck is that about?

Bunch a bullshit if I ever done seen it I tell you what.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He really knocked that scene out of the park. When he killed off Pa Kent I was kind of annoyed that Jeph Loeb had already used the speech from Superman 1, I think it would have been very fitting in Johns scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

I came here just to post that exact bit, actually. From New Avengers #16.

The opening bit is Hawkeye doing one of his little talking heads Avengers interviews when he's discussing how people online bitch and moan about who doesn't belong on the Avengers. How even someone like Cap gets badmouthed now and then.

This leads to an issue about Daredevil fighting the Nazi mechs from Fear Itself and then helping Squirrel Girl protect Danielle Cage. Three weeks later...

Between this, the Revengers and Ultimate Spider-Man, Bendis is really starting to get his mojo back.

"A swashbuckling ninja who can't say no to a friend."

When you're on, you're on Bendis. It's so great to have Daredevil back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They could just let him kill some mass murderer on death row.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm not quite certain giving a mass murderer an immortal body is such a good idea.

Fine, let him kill some terminal cancer patient.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Similar to that, Galactus learns something new about his future and reveals something he's always dreaded in FF#16

I find it very heartwarming, and I love that last line.

Hickman has officially surpassed Mark Waid as my favorite F4 author. I'm so bummed that he'll be leaving the books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ambiguatron posted:

Superman is so powerful he exists in every possible universe, even as a fictional character if the physics of that universe will not permit him to be real. Morrison hits that theme again in rear end; Superman creates a universe where he doesn't exist to see what will happen, and his creations imagine him.

Just one of hundreds of reasons to love that series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hickman really knows how to hit the right beats emotionally. I'm going to be very sad when he leaves the F4 franchise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

Everything said about the 90s "Dark Age" can be applied to the current state of the industry.

Show me a recent die-cut cover smarty pants!

No don't, I can't handle the idea of those coming back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

While they might be lacking in chrome and 3-Dness there is a bit of a resurgence in the variant cover market.

Variants never really went away but thankfully most stupid cover enhancements did. Marvel tried with their new Chromiums but there was so much negative feedback and tons of them were damaged in shipping so they backed off of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's probably significant that the cosmic entity looks a bit like Moore.

Also, Asimov did that ending first.

Moore wrote it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

And Star Wars was a samurai movie with lasers. And samurai movies are Westerns with swords. And Westerns are structurally identical to 1,000+ year old jianghu stories with guns.

Your point?

Oh my god, everyone ever is a hack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was going to post some pages from the new issue of FF but really the entire issue is worthy of this thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

Sometimes Krypto rescues Superman:

The Supergirl scene is so much more heart wrenching. I'll see if I can dredge it up.

Hey look, my first post in this thread!

quote:

A short time before this story Supergirl had died in battle and Clark is preparing himself for the inevitable final battle.

"He looked as if he'd been crying."

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 25, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, James Robinson really knew how to hit all the right notes to make me a crybaby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Tell Tedstar Good Grundy was Good Grundy."

:cry:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why the hell are my eyes misty? I don't even own a Nintendo anything?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For all my issues with Bendis' current writing he is knocking it out of the park on USM. again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Those Ultimate Spidey panels are only made more impactful by the fact that Sara Pichelli can draw the poo poo out of a comic book.

Uh, the above panels are drawn by Mark Bagley.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

If I recall (haven't read it, just about it) it was his clone. The one league of assassins raised and kept. Because there's no way he'll just be the next Robin in 6 weeks.

No, he was killed by his clone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And once again, there's few things more touching or inspiring than Superman. I'm really going to miss Morrison on that book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

If you told me before this that "Superman on a cell phone" would be a perfect way to end a story, I'd laugh in your face. Now I want to know if they're gonna hardback that entire run.

The second HC has been solicited but there's no way they don't Absolute that poo poo. Gmo is pretty much the only author at DC that you can guarantee an Absolute is coming eventually. I'll harass Bob Wayne about it at the summit next month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colon V posted:

And The Spider-Man Comic That Will Not Be Named.

You'll have to narrow it down. Dan Slott's written like 100 issues of Spider-man now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That was four issues!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

He had a mullet for years in the early '90s and sometimes tied it back into a ponytail.

Yeah the mullet ran from 1993 up until the wedding which was 1996 I believe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Len posted:

I always got the feeling (Ex Machina end spoilers) that Hundred wasn't really doing "good" and was instead trying to take over the country so he could do something menacing later

Where on Earth did you get that idea?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

Superman is American, not because he was raised in Kansas but because he was invented and refined by American writers,

Joe Shuster was CANADIAN.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I want to except for the whole DC trade department is terrible and it's going out of print.

New larger collections are on the way. Vol.1 is out June 4th.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah but this is DC which means they will do 1-3 then stop.

The smart way to guarantee sales would have been to stick "SANDMAN SOMETHING SOMETHING" across the top of the cover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

"GO CRAZY"?

You make me smile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bown posted:

Should I still read Lucifer if I loved Sandman and the character in that series but have never found Mike Carey to be anything more than a boring blah writer

Lucifer is Carey's finest work, he was given total free reign to do whatever he wanted and god drat did he work some magic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today's issue was so freaking good and holy poo poo that cliffhanger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Parahexavoctal posted:

Biggest problem with that scene is that after they went into Willy Lumpkin's body in a miniaturized spaceship... they left the spaceship behind.

Someday soon, the spaceship's microminiaturization will wear off, and Willy Lumpkin will explode.

Someone obviously hasn't seen Innerspace. You need both chips to reverse the miniturization process.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Peter David's run on the Hulk might be the greatest run the character's ever seen.

Might be?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My understanding is that some folks REALLY love Greg Pak's run.

It's sullied by World War Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Did you mean World War Hulks?

No. World War Hulk is a steamy poo poo sandwich.