Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WARNING: TERRIBLE ART AHEAD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

This is from What If: Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire. In it, Vulcan becomes the host for the Phoenix and proceeds to kill a whole lot of people as he makes his way towards Earth. The team of Cyclops, Havok, Rachel and Cable take him on and during the fight, the Phoenix begins to rebel against him. At first, Vulcan starts screaming about how he's going to kill them, but then he stops himself and starts begging that he doesn't want to be hurt anymore. In this moment of weakness, Rachel reaches out into his mind where we see Vulcan in his true form.

I always thought this issue had a good script deserving of a competent artist, but it really just hit me of why the final moments really work. It's a criticism of the creation of Vulcan as a villain. Vulcan's existence as a fictional character is actually extremely mean-spirited and hosed up.

For those who don't know him or forgot, Vulcan is the third Summers brother who was torn out of his dying mother's womb, advanced in age via technology, made into a slave for the Shi'ar, escaped to Earth, got raised by Moira for a few years, was sent to save the original X-Men from Krakoa and ended up stuck in space in a coma for years while Xavier made everyone forget he existed. He woke up after M-Day, came back to Earth and was royally pissed at Xavier.

He appeared to be Marvel's version of Superboy Prime, the returning superhero-turned-bad who was such a childlike rear end in a top hat that you had to hate him. The thing is, Superboy Prime was still old enough to make his decisions despite all the tragedy. Hell, he's practically deep into his 20's when you factor in all that time in the pocket dimension. Vulcan is literally a little boy who got tortured upon birth and hosed over by his father figure. He really never had a chance.

So I find little Gabriel crying and saying, "I should have tried harder!" to be sad as hell :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nintendo Power volume 285. At the very end of the issue.

:smith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ImpAtom posted:

Why the hell am I sad about that?! I haven't read Nintendo Power in like 15 years.

Because those other 10 years meant a ton to your childhood.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Baron Bifford posted:

This was touching but also a bit weird. Typically, villains are arrogant jerks who don't believe that there is anything fundamentally wrong with them, and that they represent some sort of ideal while the world is flawed and fails to accommodate them properly. The last time I saw the Joker talk like this was when he fell into a Lazarus Pit, which briefly restored his sanity.

His speech here hits me as being the same mindset of the "Why aren't you laughing?" scene from Killing Joke. Batman is about realizing that the world is broken and doing everything possible to fix it, even if it's a fool's errand. Joker's reaction to the world being broken is to revel in it and break it even more. Given omnipotence, he can't even agree to creating a utopia. He doesn't believe it's possible, powerful as he may be. He'd go the extreme opposite direction as Batman and wipe the slate clean.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

achillesforever6 posted:

E2: Yeah that looks better, I really like that issue just because of the story behind this actual man who was so eccentric, but beloved by his city. Oh if Death as a being does exist I hope that it turns out to be the Sandman's version because Death should be a mellow figure that eases your way into the afterlife and not scare you.

Makes me think of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes Nothing in the Dark with Robert Redford as Death disguised as a wounded cop for the sake of gaining an old woman's trust.

"Am I really so bad, so frightening? You've talked to me, you confide in me. Have I tried to hurt you? I had to get you to understand. It isn't me you're afraid of. You understand me. What you're afraid of is the unknown. Don't be afraid."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Avengers Assemble #11. The team is up against some kind of biological bacteria thing that Bruce Banner accidentally ingested. He's had to become the Hulk strictly for the sake of keeping his insides from exploding and as the Hulk, the constant pain has turned him murderously violent. He's being contained in the same cage from the Avengers movie.

The bacteria has been inserted into a water supply and is about to be introduced to a nearby village. Iron Man has a plan to stop it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Invincible #100.

Over the last couple years, Invincible introduced a villain named Dinosaurus. Other than being a super-strong dinosaur man, you can think of him as Dr. Doom without the conqueror/leader aspect. He's a mad genius who wants to help the world, but his plans to do so involve killing millions for the sake of helping billions and he has no moral problems with it. After giving the people of Las Vegas some heads up to escape, he blows up the city despite Invincible's best attempts to stop him. Las Vegas is reduced to miles of glass. As horrible as all of this is and the failure dangling over his head, Invincible does eventually see the point in what Dinosaurus did.

Recently, Invincible has been realizing that the superhero/villain thing isn't as black and white as he had once believed and, as his Nick Fury-like former boss Cecil has shown him, even the villains can be used to help better the world. Rather than just help conserve the status quo like he's always done, Invincible wants to be more proactive and change the world. He comes up with the idea of breaking Dinosaurus out of prison so they can work together. Dinosaurus can come up with ways to improve the world, Invincible would help him out and also keep an eye on him. This turned Invincible into a criminal in the eyes of the law (imagine if Spider-Man broke Doom out of prison and told the authorities, "It's okay, I got this."), but he and Dinosaurus were able to do some good together.

For a little while, Invincible lost his powers due to a virus. Once he was back to normal, he visited Dinosaurus and found out that he was back to his old tricks due to lack of supervision. He caused massive flooding across parts of the world to prevent global warming at the presumed cost of millions of lives. The two fight with Dinosaurus insisting that he's doing this for the right reasons. He seemingly kills Invincible in public, but later reveals it was just a mindless clone. From there, he keeps Invincible in a half-conscious dream state and tells him that it's cool now. Invincible's "dead" and they can keep working together without the weight of his superhero identity holding him back.

Invincible tries to convince him that despite all his superior intellect, he might not be as right as he thinks.

It's not even Dinosaurus realizing that he hosed up that gets me. It's the last page and the feeling of utter failure that's come from Invincible's best intentions.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 16, 2013

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I was going to suggest putting that in the badass thread for Alfred's moment.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Alhazred posted:

From Kingdom Come:

Supes is just mad he didn't get him first.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Zerilan posted:

I haven't read Injustice, but why IS Superman apparently being a badguy there?

The Joker decided to mess with him by shooting Jimmy in the head and kidnapping Lois (who was pregnant). When Superman came to save Lois, Joker hit him with some Scarecrow fear gas laced with kryptonite. Superman saw Doomsday in front of him and threw him into space. Then he realized that it wasn't Doomsday, but Lois. To add an exclamation point, Joker blew up Metropolis. Joker was caught and while being interrogated by Batman, Superman busted in and punched Joker through the chest in a fit of anger.

Superman moped about it for the next day in the Fortress of Solitude, still with blood on his hand, and heard about how Bialya (DC's Latveria) is up to its old tricks. He decides, gently caress it, he's going to get involved this time. He apprehends the dictator leader of the country and makes an announcement to the UN that he was Clark Kent and he's not going to be putting up with this war poo poo anymore. Everybody has to play nice. This also meant blowing up drones because their missiles took out innocent lives. The US government didn't like that, so they got Mirror Master to kidnap Kent's parents in order to blackmail him to stop. All this did was make things worse, as even though the government's involvement was secret, it still brought more hero support to Superman's side. Batman figured it out, confronted the president and called him an idiot.

Superman and Wonder Woman have been working together to uphold the worldwide ceasefire, which gets messy once Aquaman attacks some whalers. Aquaman tells Superman to cut this poo poo out or he'll have Atlanteans invade the surface world. Superman shuts him up by putting a dome over Atlantis and having it moved to the Sahara Desert until Aquaman backs down. He's also pissed that Batman has been no help to him at all during all of this, even though the two briefly tried to reconcile, despite their disagreements.

In the above sequence, Superman and Wonder Woman went to Australia where a demonstration was being held in rejection of Superman's actions. Galaxor showed up and told them to go home. He got in their face and got rewarded with a double Rock Bottom.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

The smart way to guarantee sales would have been to stick "SANDMAN SOMETHING SOMETHING" across the top of the cover.

"GO CRAZY"?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

There's more pages in the actual comic.

Yeah, it really doesn't do the comic any favors when you take a 7-page sequence and show the first, second, fifth and seventh page.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

gfanikf posted:

Speaking of Batman, have there ever been any modernish what if, one off, mini series, that explored what of Batman didn't have his one rule. Essentially he is a rich rear end Frank Castle, but still Batman/Bruce Wayne, he just kills.

I seem to remember Countdown had a segment where Red Hood found a world where Batman went into Frank Castle mode after the Death in the Family situation. But I barely read that series, so I don't know the details.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wachter posted:

WHAT THE EVERLOVING gently caress IS THAT

Sloth exchanged his Superman shirt for a Batman cowl.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Green Lantern #20.

:unsmith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #23. In the series, Casey Jones' father is a complete rear end in a top hat. He's constantly getting drunk and picking fights with his son and as tough as Casey is, he never lifts a finger to defend himself. It was shown that when Casey's mother was on her deathbed, she made Casey promise to have patience with him. The man is constantly shown as a piece of poo poo and even when Raphael almost kills him, he doesn't learn anything from the experience.

In the previous issue, Casey got gutted by Shredder. He's been hospitalized, in critical condition.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm not reading Hawkeye because I am, in fact, the worst person to ever live so...What the gently caress's up with the dialogue in places?

That issue is written from the dog's perspective.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Superior Carnage #2. Context is that the Wizard is trying to start a new Frightful Four with Carnage in it. Currently, Kasady is brain dead, so Wizard is trying to control the consciousness of the symbiote itself. Wizard appears to be goofier than normal, like labeling a picture of Black Tarantula as "AGENT VENOM" and freaking out at Klaw when corrected.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Die Laughing posted:

That's really cute. There's a back up in one of Loebs Superman/Batman issues where something similar happens, but Clark doesn't ask him to play. He wonders if he could have changed the boys life if he did. Did Sale draw that?

Yeah, I think in that one he had Pete there to say "Nah, let's leave that kid alone." Pete's not here this time, so it makes all the difference in the world.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Deadpool #18. Here's some context:

A recent issue showed a flashback to a wacky, old adventure Deadpool had with Luke Cage and Iron Fist where Deadpool insisted on tagging along. As part of it, Deadpool got down with a woman named Carmelita, who then ran off in terror after seeing his face. The current arc has Deadpool in North Korea, where he finds out the government has been making their own bootleg X-Men using Deadpool's DNA to graft their powers. He's teamed up with Captain America, Wolverine and the bootleg X-Men, but there's a problem. All of their families are kept hostage in case they try to revolt. Deadpool also found out that the hostages include Carmelita and their daughter. According to Deadpool earlier in the story, she came to him asking for child support at some point and Deadpool told her to gently caress off. Now he's out to rescue them.

The enemy soldiers do try to kill the hostages, only to be stopped by Captain America and Deadpool before they had to run off and fight more bad guys. Once the smoke is cleared, Korean Nightcrawler is reunited with his wife, but Wolverine overhears talk about how only a few survived. The soldiers did open fire on the hostages after all. At first Wolverine thinks Deadpool is cold enough to handle it until seeing him acting like his goofy self, unable to contain how excited he is to see them. When a guy runs by, yelling, "They're all dead!" Deadpool goes silent.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Its Kong or Bendis.

That's like saying it's Keyser Soze or Verbal Kint.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Deadpool #19. This is the first page.

Part of the plot in this arc is that for years, Deadpool's been experimented on by this guy named Butler. Deadpool would either be kidnapped, experimented on, mindwiped then released or he'd be tranq'd during his everyday activities before people would harvest his organs and leave him to regenerate. Butler is kind of like Mr. Freeze in that he does his work to save the life of his sister, whose bedridden, comatose body is always nearby. Then again, he's also done a lot of shady poo poo involving the North Korean government.

Deadpool finds him in this issue, where Butler is hiding in a panic room that can only be opened from the inside. If Deadpool tries anything, there are a ton of booby traps able to stop him. The two instead talk and we discover that after escaping from Weapon X, Deadpool volunteered to be used as a guinea pig until he violently turned on Butler for unexplained reasons. Deadpool has no memory of this, but imagines that if Butler only cared about saving his sister's life, Deadpool would have helped him.

As Deadpool talks to Butler, the door opens. Butler's sister had gotten up and pressed the button. Butler shouts that Deadpool will kill them both and she weakly says, "Good. How many times have I died?" After a well-deserved brutalizing, Butler tries talking his way out of it but...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I've always wanted a What If along those lines.

The closest thing would be What If Peter Parker Had to Destroy Spider-Man? where Flash Thompson is bitten by the spider instead and Peter ends up helping him create the web-swinger persona. The Awesome Spider becomes corrupt and Peter goes all prep-time against him, including creating mechanical spider arms to help him fight and defeat Flash. Then the Fantastic Four tell him to keep at it and Peter fights crime with no powers.

There's also Spider-Boy from Amalgam where instead of being merged with anyone from DC, Spider-Boy's tech buddy Doc Ock was simply a helpful good guy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bill and Ted's Excellent Comic Book #5. Death has moved to a new place and being part of human civilization means that for the first time ever, he needs a paying job. He's been having a hard time holding one down and is struggling to make rent. Luckily his landlady, who doesn't seem to really acknowledge what he is, is very understanding.

In #9, Death is fired because having a second job causes him to fall behind in reaping souls. He's replaced by Morty, who is a complete rear end in a top hat and tends to berate and laugh at all of his victims. Death makes a plea to the powers that be to get his job back.

:unsmith:

The whole series is solid.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

e X posted:

I am pretty convinced that you could actually get Doom to solve all the world's problems by simply alluding to Reed Richard's inability to do so.

There was a Spidey/Fantastic Four crossover that had a bit like this. Spidey, Sue, Johnny and Ben went to Latveria to ask for Doom's help with this device that belongs to the High Evolutionary. Doom scoffed and had no intention of helping them. Then one of them went all, "Come on! Reed didn't know how it worked and..."

"Richards... couldn't...?"

Cut to later where Doom is lecturing them on how it works and Spidey nods and acts like he knew it all along.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The best part of Harry's death is before those pages. He's set to kill himself and Spider-Man in a building, as he's littered it with bombs. Then he sees that MJ and Normie are walking around in there and he realizes that Spider-Man needs to get them to safety. Peter's equilibrium is destroyed and he can't, meaning it's up to Harry, who grabs the two and flies out of the building, stoked that he saved them from the explosion. MJ snaps at him for leaving Peter there.

"And my husband is in there? You left Peter there to die?!"

Harry has this wonderfully horrified and confused expression. "Yes! No! I... I don't know! I DON'T KNOW!"

And then rescues his buddy at the last second.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Afterlife with Archie was emotionally gutting this week. From #4.

There's also a scene later on with Archie and his dad that hits almost as hard.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

Not reading it, but I think Sabrina actually was the first to go, because the apocalypse is kinda her fault.

She's still alive, just banished to Hell for a year as punishment.

The first to go is Jughead.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Mega Man #35. Some background on the two characters:

- Blues/Proto Man/Break Man is the first human-like robot with his own personality created by Dr. Light and Dr. Wily. His power source was unstable and would eventually kill him, so obviously Light wanted to operate on it. Unfortunately, fixing it would possibly affect his programming and change who he is. Blues didn't like the idea of that, especially when he overheard Light consider that maybe getting rid of Blues' rebellious streak would be for the better, and ran away from home. Years later, he was dying and chose to return home. He saw Light hugging Rock and Roll and ran off once again. He was eventually found by Dr. Wily, who fixed him up.

- Tempo/Quake Woman is a robot created by Dr. Lalinde, a colleague of Light's. She had a happy personality and was like a daughter to Lalinde until she was nearly destroyed in a cave-in. Lalinde rebuilt her but chose to remove all semblance of emotions so she wouldn't get attached and wouldn't have to deal with the emotional fallout. Eventually, she realized that she couldn't handle seeing Tempo as a husk of her former self and reinstalled her personality.

Break Man confronted Tempo to ask her, "Why?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Alacron posted:

Is that Dr Cossack in the picture above the TV there?

Always good to see him get more screen time.:allears:

He also gets a big role in the issue's A-plot, though it's not nearly as interesting as this part or the Mega Man X backup story.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ultimate Spider-Man #200 is about all of Peter's friends (as well as Miles and Ganke, who never met him) getting together to celebrate his life, two years after his death. At one point, to break the silence, Mary Jane asks if anyone ever thinks about what Peter would have been like had he grown up. They all go over their own ideas, accompanied by two-page spreads.

Mary Jane thinks that he would have led the Ultimates and would have been a better leader and superhero than Captain America. Aunt May thinks he would have merged his love for science and heroics by leading a team of science-based superheroes. Gwen thinks he would have become a Daily Bugle reporter so he could expose corruption and bring guys like the Kingpin to justice. Miles likes to believe that he could have been partners, granted that Peter didn't hate him. Then it's Kitty's turn.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Deadpool's wedding in Deadpool #27.

Frank's happy :unsmith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Garth Ennis just flipped a table somewhere and he doesn't know why.

Yes, I'm sure the guy who wrote the comic where Frank asks Elektra out to dinner is downright furious.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Are we sure that's Frank? I mean... a tie? I thought it looked more Hammerhead, personally.

Pretty certain that's Frank and Elektra, especially since they're Wade's coworkers. Frank's probably glad to know that Deadpool won't be creeping on his girl anymore.

Besides, even Hulk was wearing a suit and tie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

I really love this. It's about time Frank got to smile about something.

He also has a pet coyote now!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I just noticed Uatu in the first panel. One last wedding before his funeral.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wade Wilson posted:

Is that a ghost Ben Franklin?

Yeah, Deadpool and the ghost of Ben Franklin are total bros.

Pierson posted:

Speaking as someone who stopped reading Deadpool when he was still a super-whacky fourth wall-breaking comedy jackass (I think the last thing I read even involving him was Agent X) where do I start this whole "Deadpool becomes a cool guy and cool things happen to him" storyline? Because it sounds kickin' rad.

The beginning of the latest volume. The first arc is universally not very well-liked, but it introduces his supporting cast and everything that follows is fantastic. After reading #25, check out the 13-part digital series Deadpool: the Gauntlet by the same writing team (Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan), which explains how Deadpool met his wife.

He also goes through some traumatic poo poo during the run, but it's one of the all-time best Deadpool storylines and shouldn't be missed. If you want to just skip to the happy times, just read the Gauntlet and go straight to #27.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

Too much happiness in this thread so here's Starlight #01

No matter how many times I read that last page, I keep seeing it as, "We tried to get her chemo to treat it, but we were $50 short."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Injustice: Year Two #13. Black Canary visited the abandoned Arrow Cave (abandoned due to Superman having killed Ollie), to find Harley squatting there. The two fought until Canary called for time out and started puking into a bucket. Harley realized that Canary was pregnant and started laughing at the absurdity of a superhero having morning sickness.

I thought this was a really on-point take on the Harley/Joker relationship without having to resort to physical violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

While the art direction was terrible, I thought the idea of it worked. It helps that there was a scene of Nightwing and Damian training earlier where Damian threw the stick and Dick caught it. He threw it hard enough that it would have caused severe damage had it hit, but he figured Dick would catch it. It's one of those things in comics that makes the guy seem so cool because he's right, like Frank Castle firing his gun at Spider-Man because he's sure he'll duck and the criminal behind him will get shot instead. Yeah, it's badass, but it's also a super lovely thing to do because what if you're in any way wrong? What are you going to do, blame the guy you just killed?

It's all part of Damian's flaw as a character. He's too short-sighted and hardcore, which is exactly WHY he would want to kill criminals, back up Superman's fascism and even sell out his own family. He doesn't take anyone's advice ever until he personally sees why he's wrong. This is one of those moments. He got angry and in the heat of the moment, he threw a stick at Dick's head, Dick was in no way ready for it and bad things happened. On one hand, yeah, Dick has been able to stop it before under different circumstances and you can see that Damian was more into the gesture than actually trying to give him brain damage or worse, but on the other hand, what the hell did you expect, you little sociopath?!

In the end, it was a far smaller scale version of what happened to Magog in the beginning of Kingdom Come.

Anyway, while Damian's grown into being a bit of a psycho in the game, the way it worked out in the comic was the right way. Keep in mind, he's still hanging out with people considering themselves superheroes and he's taken Nightwing's mantle. He'd obviously feel some emotional reason to put on the tights and "killing him in cold blood" doesn't fit in with that.