Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cassa posted:

Peter Parker's gonna make it through a What If one day, you'll all see.

Forget Spider-man, Kingpin's the one who can't catch a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kingpin doesn't really want world domination, though. He's ambitious and greedy by normal standards, but he knows not to overreach like some other super-villains. He's perfectly happy running a vastly profitable criminal empire in NYC, most of the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You're forgetting that Morbius died because for no reason a bunch of sharks decided to eat him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He actually died from a ludicrously complicated trap involving Baron Zemo and Arnim Zola's clone.

Fun fact, the movie version of Bucky, where he was Cap's friend growing up and protected him from bullies, is lifted wholesale from Arnie's backstory. He was the older, good looking tough guy that Steve looked up to, and then he ended up as essentially an outcast because he liked men, so his life wasn't particularly great after Steve disappeared.

Less fun fact: Jim Shooter wouldn't allow JM Dematteis to explicitly say Arnie is gay (these are comics for children!), so instead it's just very heavily implied, which unfortunately undermines the message a little. I read that story as a young kid and the subtext completely passed me by.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 23, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kate Beaton just officially ended her webcomic "Hark, a vagrant!", dedicating the archives to her sister who passed away at the age of 38 a few months ago. So it only seems appropriate to repost this:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everything in my life has become steadily worse since 2013 and I'm mainly continuing out of spite.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you don't want bitterness and bleakness Deadpool is the wrong book to read.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The main thing that makes Peter not a trickster archetype is that those guys make as many problems as they cause and constantly outsmart themselves and have their schemes collapse on their heads in the end. Peter does have a poo poo life due to deciding to be Spider-man, but that's not really the same.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That strip is from 1988.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mulva posted:

He spends the majority of his time hiking and not eating, he's not going to be jacked but he should be pretty lean and mean.

Kinda like Ed Norton.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

And here I thought someone had posted a lot of moving panels to celebrate goodwill to all men.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

gently caress off with this.
E: Seriously, exact same as in the Badass Panels thread, almost a month of no activity whatsoever and as soon as someone does actually post, the nasally whine of "ewww maangaaa". You weren't posting content, either! Shut the gently caress up!

How do you know he's nasally.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the many reasons the Sam Raimi spider-man movies got Jonah perfectly is this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAfxBXAQCZM

Jonah was in the middle of giving Peter poo poo, and is clearly terrified, but doesn't give him up to Goblin, even though Peter is right there.

Although I will say, Robbie wasn't working at the Bugle yet when Peter started working freelance, therefore this is clearly not canon and furthermore :goonsay:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I hope Zdarsky's run gets an omnibus. Maybe combine life story with Spectacular.

Also I'd totally read an Allred Spider-Man run.

You just reminded me of that issue of Peter Parker: Spider-man that had a Chris Samnee cover, but the interiors were done by Steve Dillon, phoning it in harder than he's ever phoned anything in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

She's been around as supporting cast in a bunch of stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some people to this day think the twitter thing was dumb, when it was actually amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Lord I hate that whole Incursion storyline it's just amazingly lovely

I'm completely convinced Hickman's run on Avengers is the reason Marvel's sales are currently in the toilet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

I am too, but I suspect for different reasons than you.

I see Hickmans run as a modern day high point and Secret Wars was such a good ending, that it allowed me to walk away from Marvel for a bit.

Yes, giving the loving Marvel Comics Universe an ending is one of the major reasons I blame it for the tanked sales. The other is thrusting heroes who are supposed to save lives into a bunch of situations where they had to do genocides for the greater good. You can't unring that bell, not matter how many mindwipes and time travels you put in.

quote:

As he points out, Cap has been around since World War 2. He's no stranger to the idea that problems are complex and choices have to be made.
But he also knows that people will often say "it's down to these two choices. That's it!" And be wrong.
His overall point is that you cant forget morals (as the Kangs are doing) when deciding what to do. Frankly this world can do with more people saying "what about individuals" instead of pushing ahead with plans that hurt the least.

Minimizing overall harm is the greatest good one can ethically strive for so I don't even agree with the basic philosophical point there. True callous evil comes when you make a triage of who deserves that greater good above others.

Cabbit posted:

gently caress it, maybe it's just me. Cap irks me from top to bottom, not the least of which being by draped in a flag, it's entirely possible I'm reading too much into it.

I would destroy America as a country* if I was given half a chance but I still really like Captain America.

Now Superman, that guy pisses me off.

*as in dismantle its systems, not blow it up

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 15, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

If comics had definite endings maybe we'd see something new once in a while

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's like that really good scene in the first Spider-man movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Loki dealing with his frost giant heritage is an interesting story hook, i gotta get on that book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm usually not a fan of storylines where they kill old forgotten side characters to raise the stakes but honestly there are way too many symbiote people running around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

It's weird that the Venom and Deadpool movies use love interests who have been dead for nearly 20 years in the comics. I think I've seen Deadpool reference Vanessa an entire one time since his first movie came out.

She was in a really, really awful backup story in his wedding issue where she'd secretly been alive the whole time and stalking him and having sex with him as random shapeshifted hookups. Apparently they thought it'd read as sweet and not deeply hosed up.

As for Venom, well, what else can you do with the guy but go back to the beginning? They kept trying to sweep him under the rug and replace him and reinvent him, it doesn't leave a lot of room for a supporting cast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

page is actually real funny, but really just reminds me how those guardians costumes sucked major rear end

I dunno, I liked em. I was real sad when they redesigned Starlord's look to be closer to the movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wolverine's involvement with the X-men strikes me as stemming from a desire for the world to never produce (or need) another Wolverine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vincent posted:

Or don't. Unless you like reading about superpowered pedophiles, that is.

Wolverine?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They've just been slowly turning him into Namor and hoping that it's so gradual that no one notices.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Knull sucks so bad that his existence made Wraith reappear in Marvel comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Venom, Carnage, Riot, and Spider-Man all living in a house together.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Loki's challenge was trying to eat more than someone who turned out to be fire, I think.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Matt Fraction wrote a mini series that goes by varying names, the most common one being Ages of Thunder, that retells many of those classic norse myths and ends with Thor being de-godded for all the murder. They do the wall thing, the bride thing, the sowing loki's mouth, etc. There's a lot of meta-text about the power of unreliable narration in myths and how those might be affecting the events, and Loki was still a big villain back then so he's more of a prick than he is in the usual retellings, but it's still an interesting look.

Certainly better than his run on the main book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Was that part of Marvel or an indie thing?

It was Marvel, used the branding and the character designs and all, but its status in continuity is deliberately vague.

Here it is

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

At least some of the myths we have come from the people writing down the myths trying to own people they don't like. For example, Ares was the patron god of Sparta, which Athens did not get along with, so all the surviving Athenian Greek myths (which is most of what we have) paint Ares as a big dumb angry idiot who gets owned all the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

There's also interesting stuff in late Roman antiquity where really old folk beliefs about ghosts and things are blending oddly with newly absorbed ideas about the Christian afterlife and creating these really weird, interesting syncretis representations of death and the soul. I have a book about this around somewhere, I'll try to dig it up later.

The absolute best unholy blending of belief systems affecting mythologies is the arthurian myths. Some of the revisions and additions happened centuries apart, and the cultural attitudes of the writers were completely alien to those that came before and after. Somehow you have this guy who was chosen by the gods, except maybe it was just the one god, working with a demon wizard, trained in rome, or was it britain, etc etc. It's so horrifically inconsistent and messy no matter which version you read. And it's one of the biggest influences on the high fantasy genre, so that weird contradictory blend of christianity, folk legends, paganism, and various other stuff is reflected in everything from Conan the Barbarian to Dungeons and Dragons to World of Warcraft.

Stories are stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Is there a What If he's in and doesn't die?

Spider-man just dies a lot in What Ifs because he's in a lot of What Ifs.

Kingpin is the one who dies in every What If.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SimonChris posted:

Edit: I hate to be a spoilsport, but isn't Ben short for Benjamin?

It can also be short for Bernard, or it can be its own name.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A cute little Superman/Batman fan comic by Chan Chau:

"Clark Kent, a cartoonist for the Daily Planet, visits his number one fan, Bruce Wayne, at his home for breakfast."

(What is going on with Clark's hair)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

IIRC the logic behind turning Alan Scott gay was to "make up for" wiping his gay son from continuity with yet another reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I didn't mean to sound dismissive, those panels are great.