Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So an interesting thing happened in Clemens*. Otis Sheehan, my comp #1 from the pick I didn't sign last season declined. I tried 6 more times, doing everything including upping the money to everything I had left, and giving him a spring training invite. Finally, I tried one more time, not changing anything, and he accepted. Don't know why. Anyone have any precedent for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I've got the number one pick in Zimmer.

Default #1 on my board is this guy

He's obviously super splits and control man but his pitch ratings are a little low and he has no stamina.

Default #3 is this guy

Now inning for inning I don't think he's as good, but there are a whole shitload more innings in that arm and I like guys with a really good P1.

So between the willingness to sign and innings available I would be silly not to take Deveraux, right?

Comedy high OVR position player option

I mean he's cool and all but no way I'm taking him #1 overall.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
If I could guarantee they would hit their ratings there is a very good chance I would go with Mantalban, but Deveraux's starting points make him the better bet to hit his projections, which pushes him over the top for me.

And Stein is really, really, really good. I wouldn't take him over those other two but that guy would not be a terrible 1st overall pick by any stretch.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Yeah I would obviously love Stein in a vacuum I just don't think he compares to either pitcher at all

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I think Mantalban's low stamina is compensated for a bit by his higher durability. You could get a lot of low inning starts out of him plus that control is dreamy. It's really close I think, can't go wrong either way but I think I agree that Devruwhabzhshaux is the way to go. Good stamina, good control, good P1. Velocity is low and I have a theory that it can be what pushes pitchers to the next tier but that's pure speculation

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So a new season of random champs and chumps is upon us. I got 1995NL, 1964NL, 1961NL, and 1959AL. Basically, I either have a really goddamn amazing offense filled with Mays, Aaron, Kaline, and Santo, and 2/3rds of a good pitching staff with not great relievers, or a mediocre offense with really great pitching. I'm not sure any champ year will give me both.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This is my build for '61 champs. Most of my relief is a disaster, but I don't have a lot of options. If I use '95 as champs, I can get a rotation of Drysdale, Koufax, and Maddux, but the hitting is not near as good.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Gotta get that pitching, I'll take awesome pitching with mediocre offense over good offense with decent pitching

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This is what I was able to put together. I think i'd rather have Mays and Aaron, but this is good too I guess.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Here is my '59 champs team. This is definitely the best all around pitching, but I think the offense is a bit weak.

Edit: oops, replace Pascual with 64 Koufax. Still good pitching.

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 13, 2015

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

This is what I was able to put together. I think i'd rather have Mays and Aaron, but this is good too I guess.

Get Koufax on this team and rejoice in the 1-0 wins you will have

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This is the team I entered. Koufax just didn't pitch enough innings, so I couldn't keep him.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

This is the team I entered. Koufax just didn't pitch enough innings, so I couldn't keep him.

A 60s pitching team without Koufax, a shameful team

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I miss the good old days when we had Goon Leagues with fun themes in WiS and we were able to make fun of each other and Jefferson/AV slaughtered us all. :sigh:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
We should totally do one

I think it's been long enough that the burnout has faded away, we just need a good fun idea

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm always up for joining a simleague

I want to do another cloned player in Coors league just one more time. The offense was hilarious and it was so fun.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I will do a Goon Pick Six if there is interest!

kensei posted:

I read that response earlier and was thinking expansion to expansion myself, so 1969 to 1993 works great!

This is a spotsell thread on pick six: http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=446831

quote:

no dh, no AAA, no clones, trades are fine, must play in a stadium in use at the time.
random alignment

Every round, everyone will sitemail me a list of any six players they want. If you are the only one to choose Lou Gehrig - then he is yours. If multiple people select Lou Gehrig then no one gets him and he is blacklisted. If you get Lou Gehrig, you may use any season you like and he is yours exclusively.

We continue round by round until all rosters are filled. At any point you may select your stadium as one of your six picks. All stadiums will be exclusive. In the event all stadiums are either chosen, or blacklisted, you will play in WIS stadium.

Every round you send me a list of up to six players, if you need less than six to complete your roster, then only send me that amount. If you already have 13 pitchers, you may not ask for a 14th.

Every round I will send my six picks to a few different people who send me their picks quickly. I will not open their picks until they open mine.

It will play out about 100m per team and the draft will go about 12 rounds.

Obviously Lou Gehrig isn't in this pool, but you get the idea.

e: I am also thinking that spelling errors are voided picks, in honor of spotsell

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So here is my champs and chumps team. I got 57NL, 70AL, 97NL, and 02AL.

I originally had Piazza at catcher, but I sacrificed him because I wanted ARod more. Also 295 dingers. Any major critiques on this team?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Man I haven't done a SLB team in so long

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

gardenald posted:

Man I haven't done a SLB team in so long

:saddowns::hf::saddowns:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

So here is my champs and chumps team. I got 57NL, 70AL, 97NL, and 02AL.

I originally had Piazza at catcher, but I sacrificed him because I wanted ARod more. Also 295 dingers. Any major critiques on this team?

So, should I join with this team, or is Piazza more important than ARod?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I ended up getting Ramon Santiago in random captain. Hooray? I don't think Crazy checked players again. What a terrible captain to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

With 3 games to go in the Clemens season, i've won 93 games and have the 1st wildcard. Last season I won 73 games. Brian Jodie and Jaret Fox are awesome.

• Locked thread