Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The XT-5 was super late in 2022 though, November. Month wise the gap between 4 and 5 was just shy of 3 years, so think 2025 is far more likely.
Plus it looks like all production capabilities will just be trying to keep pace with X100VI orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mega Comrade posted:

The XT-5 was super late in 2022 though, November. Month wise the gap between 4 and 5 was just shy of 3 years, so think 2025 is far more likely.
Plus it looks like all production capabilities will just be trying to keep pace with X100VI orders.

What new innovations can the xt6 have? The XT5 has the xprocessor5 and the 40.2 MP sensor. It has the advancements to video and they don't want to go above and beyond the XH series. It's already weathersealed with a dual card, large battery and everything else. I think these questions are why it's an early 2026 camera.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Hello everyone, I was looking at an om5 as my omd -em10ii* seems abit old, but I can't actually tell what the major improvements would be. The om5 has more shots per second and a larger sensor, but am I right in thinking even over that sortof model iteration/time the improvements are all going to be fairly minor for a casual photographer?

When I was younger the improvements in digital cameras were pretty major but in terms of image quality on the sensor is it fairly settled now?

*Also the names are awful

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

mudskipp posted:

Hello everyone, I was looking at an om5 as my omd -em10ii* seems abit old, but I can't actually tell what the major improvements would be. The om5 has more shots per second and a larger sensor, but am I right in thinking even over that sortof model iteration/time the improvements are all going to be fairly minor for a casual photographer?

When I was younger the improvements in digital cameras were pretty major but in terms of image quality on the sensor is it fairly settled now?

*Also the names are awful

The names are indeed awful.

Apart from the 4 extra megapixels, I think the major improvements will be weather sealing on the OM5 and much a better processing engine that should give you less noise on the image, and a pixel-shift Hi-Res mode which will give you an 80mp image from a tripod or 50mp handheld. With the OM5, you'll also get 4k video instead of HD, a higher max mechanical shutter speed, a 4-stop electronic ND filter, Bluetooth, focus stacking, and I would think maybe another stop on the IBIS, but don't quote me on that. Up to you how important any of those last points are for what you shoot, though...

I have an em10.3, and I'd love to upgrade if I could afford it...

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

p0stal b0b posted:

The names are indeed awful.

Apart from the 4 extra megapixels, I think the major improvements will be weather sealing on the OM5 and much a better processing engine that should give you less noise on the image, and a pixel-shift Hi-Res mode which will give you an 80mp image from a tripod or 50mp handheld. With the OM5, you'll also get 4k video instead of HD, a higher max mechanical shutter speed, a 4-stop electronic ND filter, Bluetooth, focus stacking, and I would think maybe another stop on the IBIS, but don't quote me on that. Up to you how important any of those last points are for what you shoot, though...

I have an em10.3, and I'd love to upgrade if I could afford it...

Thanks for the reply!

All those things sound great but realistically probably won't impact me much - I have always enjoyed having a decent camera but not really going to make the most of the advanced options at this point due to work/life/family. Weather sealing, image quality and EVF quality are probably my key details at the moment.

But like you said, thinking about what I actually shoot at the moment and weirdly the weather sealing becomes less important vs the price of the camera. E.g. I could potentially replace a used m10ii repeatedly before hitting the cost of an om5 - and I do find that quite liberating to bring my m10ii anywhere. I'd be alot more particular about rain and sand on a new camera, even if it was weather sealed!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no reason at all for me to buy one but I still want to. Gotta ignore it.

I was thinking a X-T6 would probably be far off, looked it up and the 4 came out 2020, 5 in 2022 so a 6 wouldn't be crazy. I suppose they might've decided to focus on the 100VI though and a X-T6 is more likely next year.

I think there’s more model lines in the Fuji world - X-Pro, X-Txx, X-E - that need an update before the X-T5 needs to be replaced. Plus as mentioned, they usually do one camera per sensor generation, and that’s not coming right away either.

I’ll keep waiting to see what else comes this year. Don’t think the X100 is that, so lucky to avoid the rush.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Honestly, I only went from an X-T1 to an X-T4 because I was finding 16 megapixels to be getting restrictive for my cropping needs, and the sensor was showing its age in high ISOs. Technically I didn't really need the IBIS but it's a great feature. Maybe I'll upgrade to the X-T7 when it comes out lol.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
With the focus on the X100VI that uses a lot of the same guts as the X-T5, I think the X-T6 will push into 2026. Hell, the X-T30 line hasn’t had a full refresh since 2019. There’s no rush when only incremental improvements could be made in the next year, anyway.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
With the pressures of AI I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a slowing down of release cycles anyway.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
You all can rest, I have an answer. I am thinking about buying a Fuji camera again, so when that happens a week later the new will be announced.

Really though, I am looking at an X-T20 as I just want something compact and for use with my one lens. Prices are so high for these things.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

qirex posted:

The X100 has always been the internals from one of their other cameras slapped into a fixed lens body.

Except the very first one :imunfunny:

e: holy late reply

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I just upgraded from the Fuji 70-300 to the Fuji 100-400, and while I knew in an academic sense that the weight was going up a lot, I did not fully realize how easy the 70-300 handled. Korenwolf, enjoy that easy to use lens, man I gotta go work out.

Korenwolf
Mar 14, 2007

Nap Ghost

torgeaux posted:

I just upgraded from the Fuji 70-300 to the Fuji 100-400, and while I knew in an academic sense that the weight was going up a lot, I did not fully realize how easy the 70-300 handled. Korenwolf, enjoy that easy to use lens, man I gotta go work out.

It is pleasantly light to carry around. :) I should dig out my decrepit x-e3 to mount it just for the comedy of it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got the 70-300 on my X-H1 and it fits perfect. I don't know why but it feels underrated. I was just going through some of my photos from Le Mans last year that I shot with it and, really, holy poo poo it punches above it's weight.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I've been toying with upgrading from my XC 50-230 to the 70-300, but i've been so impressed with the XC I haven't pulled the trigger. I would like weather sealing, and a little better reach sounds nice. Has anyone done that upgrade? Any regrets?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's my next upgrade too. I regret I got the XC instead of just going with that one to begin with, but I didn't know I'd enjoy telephoto so much.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

frogbs posted:

I've been toying with upgrading from my XC 50-230 to the 70-300, but i've been so impressed with the XC I haven't pulled the trigger. I would like weather sealing, and a little better reach sounds nice. Has anyone done that upgrade? Any regrets?

I traded my 16-55mm F2.8 for it. No ragrets.
Don't let the slower speeds scare you from low light either, just crank that ISO!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've done handheld night photography with the XC (with an IBIS camera) so the 70-300 would certainly work there too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I have the 55-200, the forgotten one, and it’s done shockingly well with the X-T20 for sports, both ball sports and motor racing.

Gonna try and wait for the rest of the spring announcements before getting too panicky about what to buy, but that X-T20 has been with me 5 years so it’s feeling like time.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Yeah I seem to take my best shots with my 55-200, and I’m very happy with the size and weight - the main reason I haven’t upgraded is that it feels about the max size I’d want for travel, and I think the other telephotos (except the XC) are significantly bigger? In any case it’s the lens I use 90% of the time, with the XF 18mm 1.4 for indoors stuff maybe 5% and the 18-55 the other 5%. I love my XC 35mm f2, super light and high quality, but I didn’t realise how much I’d use telephoto till I got it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I started at the 55-200, moved up to the 70-300 for reach, not dissatisfaction, and then to the 100-400 for the same reason.

All three have been good performers. The 70-300 had a brief bout of softness until a firmware update fixed the IS.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I need to work out how to do software updates, I’ve never done one for my Fuji or any lenses. Sounds like I should.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

I need to work out how to do software updates, I’ve never done one for my Fuji or any lenses. Sounds like I should.

Every time I've tried, I get some kind of communication error. I have no idea why. It'll do everything else over USB that can be done over USB, but firmware update? Something went wrong.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Finger Prince posted:

Every time I've tried, I get some kind of communication error. I have no idea why. It'll do everything else over USB that can be done over USB, but firmware update? Something went wrong.

Their preferred method is to put it on the memory card. Have you tried that?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Re: Fuji zoom chat. Anyone used the Fuji 50-140. That’s like my prime range for what I use.

Thoughts? Opinions? I shoot lower light a lot so that constant F2.8 is very attractive.

I’ve never owned a zoom for my fujis - I usually just walk around with a 35 and a 90 in a little bag.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

rufius posted:

Re: Fuji zoom chat. Anyone used the Fuji 50-140. That’s like my prime range for what I use.

I use the 50-140/2.8 in an occasionally professional context and it's a nice lens that is effectively Fuji's 70-200 trinity lens

It behaves exactly as you'd expect a lens in this class of lenses to behave and it looks nice, but avoid the extremes otherwise corners get iffy especially at 50 more than 140. I have no real complaints other than it's a little heavy (it feels heavier to me than an EF 70-200, but it might be because I have the 50-140 on an X-pro3 which is a lot smaller than a 5d3/4 body...).

My entire Fuji kit is just the 56/1.2, the 16-55/2.8, and the 50-140/2.8, and my only real want is a 27-35mm weather sealed prime but it's not that important because the 16-55/2.8 is great.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

windex posted:

:words:

My entire Fuji kit is just the 56/1.2, the 16-55/2.8, and the 50-140/2.8, and my only real want is a 27-35mm weather sealed prime but it's not that important because the 16-55/2.8 is great.

Nice that was the info I wanted. I totally forgot there’s a 16-55… which may be even more useful to me if I just carry the 90 with me for a little reach.

Decisions decisions…

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rufius posted:

Nice that was the info I wanted. I totally forgot there’s a 16-55… which may be even more useful to me if I just carry the 90 with me for a little reach.

Decisions decisions…

That was my day to day kit for a couple of years on my xh1. 16-55 for sharp, broad coverage, 90 for short tele with magic Fuji dust inside.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just keep buying lenses until you have to wheel a cart of them around with you.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Grand Fromage posted:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Grand Fromage posted:

:hmmyes:

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

rufius posted:

Thoughts? Opinions? I shoot lower light a lot so that constant F2.8 is very attractive.

I’ve never owned a zoom for my fujis - I usually just walk around with a 35 and a 90 in a little bag.

I'm an amateur, but my 50-140 stays on my camera as my default lens unless I need to reach for a wide-angle lens or a macro.

But really the answer probably is:

Grand Fromage posted:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Well I caved and bought a used 16-55. Gonna try it out with a friend’s wedding (low key, 8 guests, unpaid) to see if I like it.

I still want that 50-140, but the 16-55 will be more useful to me based on looking at the focal lengths I’ve been shooting lately.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
The 16-55 is great and I'm always tempted to buy it, but it's pretty heavy and I only use my camera for travel, so I still haven't replaced the kit.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

torgeaux posted:

I started at the 55-200, moved up to the 70-300 for reach, not dissatisfaction, and then to the 100-400 for the same reason.

All three have been good performers. The 70-300 had a brief bout of softness until a firmware update fixed the IS.

Renting the 70-300mm and a 1.4 teleconverter for our trip to Indian Wells in a week and looking forward to trying it out. Used the 55-200 for a U.S. Open trip quite successfully many years ago, but the extra reach will be nice, particularly in the stands of the larger stadium courts.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I never got on with the bokeh rendering of the 16-55mm, especially (or specifically) sunlit elements. It's probably something that anyone else looking at the photo wouldn't notice, but it always bothered me.
I've taken nice photos with it, but I don't miss it, having swapped it for the tele and a 27mm prime.

Example:

The foliage in particular is just really busy. Lots of circular highlights. Unfortunately this is the only example I have access to right now. Imgur compression destroys the examples I have of the 70-300 bokeh, but it's much smoother.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 3, 2024

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

runawayturtles posted:

The 16-55 is great and I'm always tempted to buy it, but it's pretty heavy and I only use my camera for travel, so I still haven't replaced the kit.

Ya - I haul a GFX50Sii and two lenses around hiking for landscape shots so my sense of weight is entirely skewed lol. The weight of my X-T4 plus this 16-55 will probably feel adorable.

Honestly if I could just grab the X-T4 and the 16-55 for a day out with my kids instead of packing the camera bag with 2-3 primes, I may be sold. Still keeping my primes since I like the constraints that creates if I bring a single lens - but that’s for “street photography” and “art poo poo”, not capturing fun shots of my kids.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Finger Prince posted:

I never got on with the bokeh rendering of the 16-55mm, especially (or specifically) sunlit elements. It's probably something that anyone else looking at the photo wouldn't notice, but it always bothered me.
I've taken nice photos with it, but I don't miss it, having swapped it for the tele and a 27mm prime.

Yeah, I use this lens a lot - but mostly in fair to good light stopped down with a lot of DoF where I'm not looking for bokeh.

I just remembered that wide open and getting better as you stop down, it also has cat eye bokeh that gets narrower at the corners and edges, and that's gross.

So maybe I should raise the priority of a 27-35mm prime. :hmmyes:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

As a long time goon I know you always gotta keep it wide open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

windex posted:

:words:

So maybe I should raise the priority of a 27-35mm prime. :hmmyes:

The 33mm LM WR is v good. So are its 18mm and 23mm siblings. I don’t own the 23, but I have used it. I have the other two and one or the other is usually on my camera all the time.

rufius fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 5, 2024