Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Just bought a Nex-3C off eBay, body only, ridiculous price: 239 € + shipping. Includes 2 batteries, mini tripod, sleeve and memory card. Seller seems legit. If anybody is interested the object id is 110840674954.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Just got a super cheap brand new C3 from eBay (the one I posted a couple of weeks ago) plus a number of manual focus, non stabilized lenses. What can one say? Wow. This is going to be incredibly fun.

Great picture quality all around and the manual focus is easier than I thought. Seriously, whoever invented the focus peak thing should get a fat pay raise. I'm already faster than my point-and-shoot af, although I did use mf extensively in the 80s-90s.

Happy as a pig in the mud here. ^_^ on to shooting some serious pics today.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
By the way on eBay you can find legit brand new body-only nex c3 for under € 200.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I find that kind of cultural evolution really interesting. I have even started to see "no photos" stickers on store windows (the picture of a camera in the red circle with a line through it) that now show stencils of what look like iPhones instead of "proper" cameras.

Wonder what was the first ever sign of that kind. A daguerreotype inside a red circle?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

krackmonkey posted:

I've only had a little bit of time with it tonight, but I love how it feels in hand, just the right amount of size and heft that I know it's there but it still isn't full-on DSLR weight. The base of the LA-EA2 is just about perfect for a counter-grip and it seems pretty snappy with the 35 SAM. I also got the 50 e-mount, and there are a couple (cat)photos in my flickr feed taken with that lens, if you're curious. I'll try and post a more detailed accounting of how I'm liking everything after taking a few more days to really break it in and discover what I love/hate about it.

Please do. I've recently bought a nex myself (c3) and still discovering it, would love to hear different experiences on similar cameras.

If you want to add me on Flickr, I'm here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmarsiglietti

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
By the way, tried the x-pro 1 today. It's definitely bulkier than I thought, but it's fantastic, especially the ovf/evf viewfinder. I already knew it could produce excellent pictures, but the viewfinder is just so good.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

rexelation posted:

Just received the NEX-C3 I picked up on eBay and I'm loving it so far. One question though, how useful is the stock flash? The package I got didn't include the flash and I'm wondering if I should pick one up somewhere. I hardly used the flash on my previous point & shoot (fuji f20) for normal everyday purposes both indoor and outdoor. So I figure with the C3 it'll be even better in low light and I probably won't need the flash at all?

Hiya, the C3 doesn't come with a flash, did you buy the external accessory?
I didn't, I just use the camera insane high ISO if I really have to. Having a couple of fast lenses helps of course. What lenses did you buy?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

FasterThanLight posted:

E-PL1 for $150 on Amazon, though I'm not sure how the two compare.

Or sub-200€ Sony nex c3 on ebay.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

RustedChrome posted:

Leaks! Leaks everywhere!
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/sony-nex-5r-and-nex-6-leaked-through-chinese-agency/

Looks interesting for those thinking of getting into the NEX system. Nothing about a fullframe camera so far.

I don't know, I got a C3 because it was small, light and had a great sensor. Surfing the web with my camera?

On the other hand, I can get behind the notion of an APP based camera.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Miso Beno posted:

Using toy camera lenses on my GH2 is about the most fun I've ever had with a camera. :colbert:

It's not the same as putting an instagram filter onto a picture though! I also have a number of queer camera setups and the outcome's always a (pleasant) surprise.

Case in point:

With instagram, same effect always gives same outcome.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

rio posted:

My NEX-5N screen is getting to the point where the coating peeling off and small scratches are becoming an issue. I baby the camera overall so it is disappointing to see after trying to take care of it and it not being some el cheapo piece of electronics.

I have seen a couple YouTube videos of people buying a 10 dollar glass screen, taking off the stock one and replacing it but I'm wondering if anyone hear has done it or could recommend replacement screens?

I also have this problem. Anyone? Thanks!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Thank you very much, I will definitely get one.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

MadlabsRobot posted:

I'm thinking about buying something that I can use with my manual focus lenses. I have a bunch of konica ar lenses that I'm using with my analog camera but I'd like to be able to use them with digital as well.
As I understand it focus peaking helps a lot with manual lenses and currently only sony has it. I'm a bit unsure though about not having a viewfinder so I guess I have to go at least up to a nex-6 in that case.

So I guess what I'm asking is: For use with manual konica ar lenses while having a viewfinder a nex-6 is a good choice, confirm/deny? Or is there anything else I should consider instead?

I only have the C3 but it's already great as it is for manual lenses. Focus peaking is very handy.
You'll also get a standard hot shoe attachment and the viewfinder with the 6, to me it's close to perfection. :)

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I do all my digital shooting with a C3 nowadays and it's really nice being so small yet having such a great IQ, typical of much bigger DSLRs. It's also good to know you haven't invested a small fortune on it, it's really a camera "for the rest of us" once you have assigned functions to the custom buttons. The menu is hideous (but I think this is common with all NEXes).

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

krackmonkey posted:

LOL, I was just about to page you to this thread, since you're the resident C3 owner. apparently also the resident MINDREADER :)

I saw the bat signal :P

You know this is the one and only Sony camera I own, but I really love it. It's strange. I don't even have a single Sony lens for it, I just use manual lenses from other systems I have.

It's a great pocketable aps-c sensor.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

lostleaf posted:

This is my first non point and shoot. At first I was super excited but now sitting here typing this, I'm worried about buying a better strap. Actual camera bags rather than dollar store ones. I was already researching lenses but I'm now trying to justify that the money saved on the camera could be used to buy lenses.... Oh god... What did I just do to myself... :commissar:

The first camera they give you should be free of charge. Would put this hobby on par with other drugs.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Yesterday I have shot an entire theatrical play (eldest daughter's school) with my Nex c3 and the wonderful flash addon gadget I've seen on this thread.
I could operate my setup of remote flashes with the c3, it's been hilarious, best fun I had in a while.

Only problem was, at the end of the second show the camera was getting a bit warm, I was glad I didn't have to keep shooting.
I had been shooting during, pre, post and even in between the two shows. I depleted two fully charged batteries.

Can't post kids pics online without tutors' consent so here's a pic of the stage after the show:

Kid's play di maxmars70, su Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Helicity posted:

I think it was Fujirumors.com that recently reported that Fuji is aware that customers really want this and they are working on it, but no promises, or something along those lines. I honestly never thought we'd see focus peaking, so who knows what they do.

I find myself starting to turn into a bit of a Fuji fan boy as well. They'll break my heart someday, but for now, I'm pretty happy.

I may be spoiled by having been exposed to the concept since the beginning with the NEX, but I think the whole concept should be improved ASAP by doing something like context-sensitive color. I mean, the image is already displayed on an LCD, the camera computer surely must know that (say) white on white is not going to stand out.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

FasterThanLight posted:

If you set the camera to B&W mode, red peaking really stands out. If you're shooting RAW you still get color files.

I was thinking more of a slightly dimmed mode for the picture and more colorful peaking, as an alternative. I understand your point but I don't want to go into bw just for focusing.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Suzuki Method posted:

Hey folks, the thread is 100 pages long so my apologies for not seeing if this has been asked (probably has) but I am absolutely 100% new to non-point-and-shoot photography and I want to get serious. Should I just buy one of these mirrorless systems instead of a DSLR (I don't have a lot of money) for this purpose? They look snazzy but everyone around me is always squealing "DSLR or die".

The only thing I'm going to warn you about is that most of (all?) the cheapest mirrorless cameras don't have a viewfinder, and if you're going to get serious about photography more probably than not you'll need it.

I have the cheapest Sony Nex which has an awesome image quality (on par with many DSLRs, except those with full frame sensors) and if it broke I'd buy it again the same day, but framing on its LCD is not ideal when composing.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Mightaswell posted:

Digital 690 rangefinder :twisted:

Man a digital Texas Leica.. THAT would be something! :D

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Phone posted:

The Fuji 35mm is too fast.

Super Metroid <3

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

spog posted:

ASA4Lyfe

DIN DIN DIN.. We have a Winner!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

DJExile posted:

i'm still holding that flag

alone :patriot:

E-Series as in Sony? We're two :D Although I'm mainly a film user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Linedance posted:

I just use a Nintendo Wii strap on my camera. Have for years, it's never gone wrong and is really easy to deal with.