Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

Any old 28mm f/2.8 lens. The Nex is good enough at high ISO that it'll make up for the difference between f/2.8 and, say, f/1.8. I use both the Pentax and Olympus versions of the 28mm and both are tasty.

Olympus 28 3.5 is better than the 2.8, and it's like $50-70. I'm going to be getting one soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

In that case I am pretty much set on a nex 7 with a canon adapter. For the price of a x1pro body alone I can have the nex with the zeiss.

Why not get the C/Y Zeiss lens? The canon costs a lot more because it's auto aperture for canon body-- doesn't make much difference if you're adapting it to e-mount.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

Does the ZE not have an aperture ring on the barrel?

Nope, it's electronically controlled.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am really torn. How did those of you with a mirrorless camera make your choice of which system?

Originally, and still have my X100 (selling it shortly). I chose the nex 5n over m4/3 because the 16mm pancake is 'good enough' for my autofocus lens, and the other(s) will likely be legacy lenses. The 2x crop factor was a downside for me, as I wanted wider lenses.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

I did this very same thing. I initially bought the NEX 5N as a secondary camera but it has become my primary camera mostly due to the light weight, small size and image quality.

I'm slowly getting used to shooting with an LCD screen. It's okay in most conditions but isn't very good in bright light. Focus peaking is the killer feature for this camera system because for some reason not a lot of other manufacturers have worked it in.

My biggest gripe with the NEX system is the lack of good, reasonably-priced lenses. But that will work itself out in time whether by Sony or someone else. If you want a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder but can't spend bazillions on a camera plus lenses, I would recommend the NEX 7 because you can use old manual focus lenses with it really well.

The Sigma 19 and 30mm lenses might be decent, and they've been priced @ $200~ for m/43, so probably $200-250 for nex. I saw a review for the 30 2.8 and it said it's pretty sharp and decent, but has a fair bit of CA. Usually CA isn't too hard to get rid of with lightroom, so yay!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I hadn't heard this, why is the NEX-5 better than the NEX-7 with wideangle lenses? Are there microlens problems causing color fringing / color shifts / something? Also what's the advantage of the GXR in this case, I don't see how it gets you anything more than a NEX + adapter does?

The 5 isnt better, the 5n is. It's got some kind of compensation that makes it a lot better on the edges. I'll see if I can pull up the detailed forum post some guy made on it.

Also: I posted my x100 for sale in the buy/sell thread as well as POTN & FM. Someone buy my most favorite camera ever.

e: I can't find the 5n vs 7 test with the corner crops I was looking for, sorry :(.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 5, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Somebody reported that he paid 20850 HKD for the XP1 and all 3 lenses. That's only $2500 USD and 19% off the listed price. I am going sit this one out and wait for the XP1 body to drop to $1200. I get a feeling Fuji camera will drop a lot faster than D700.

That's good news, but check this video and you'll find that there appears to still be some poor focus issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7-xPjFJY_0

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

The X100 just got a firmware update that adds face detection, moves auto ISO to the ISO selection menu and makes the RAW button into a secondary custom function button. If you choose to assign the neutral density filter to it, it becomes toogleable.

It took them long enough but well played, Fuji.

Of course this happens after I sell my lovely little baby. Oh well.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mightaswell posted:

Check out this thread on FM where a poster puts a zeiss wide angle on a Q. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1098001/0

Hah, you beat me to it. The Q really shows that we can push some crazy high MP cameras with current high end lenses.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

moonduck posted:

Except that it looks like diffraction is setting in by f/8, which is really kind of awful.

True. But I meant with regards to resolving power.

Uncle Ivan posted:

Is anyone getting the X-Pro1 in this thread? It's in stock on Amazon, and while still overpriced as hell, it looks like it has potential.

The Fuji X100 was one of my favorite cameras to ever use, but the little problems that it had, especially the focus system and it's inconsistencies, will make me wait for the next revision-- they have improved the system already quite a bit. Or maybe when the Xpro1 prices fall, I would gladly try it out for $1200-$1500- but $2400 for the system and 35mm lens is a bit much right now.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HeyEng posted:

How's the AF?

And not just in well lit high contrast areas, but some low light close subjects too. I'm eventually going to probably pick one up within the year.., I just know it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The new sigma lenses are supposed to be pretty awesome, actually. I'm trying to decide between the 19 or 30, and leaning more towards the 19 (I prefer 35~FOV, but 50~ is also nice).

I was originally going to get a contax g21 or g28 for my uses and the 16mm for when I give it to my gf, but the early adopters are saying it's sharp and very nice.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

Is it true that the NEX-7 only has Auto ISO up to 1600? Because if that's true, that's stupid. The 5N goes to 3200 and it's glorious. I wish it had an option to go to 6400 for low light shooting and then turn it off for daytime shooting.

In one of the modes the nex does something where it does like 5 shots at various ISOs and merges them to avoid noise. I'm pretty sure one of the night modes allows 6400+ autoiso too.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HeyEng posted:

Even if Sony is the first to field that their E mount glass is paltry minus the Zeiss. Fuji was smart putting out 3 solid lenses with their X Pro 1 and the X100 being 35mm equivalent.

It's pretty bleh right now, but those Sigmas that just came out rock. The 30 2.8 is being compared to the elemarit 28 2.8 sharpness/microcontrast wise-- and it's a $3000 leica lens. Consensus seems to be Sigma might be selling it as a loss leader to get a better reputation for themselves because it's far better than a $200 lens has any right to be.

I'm ordering mine tonight when B&H comes back up.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spog posted:

I have to say that I've picked them up in the shop a few times and there was no magic there. It just felt odd - badly balanced, unintuitive buttons and confusing menus. I certainly felt a disconnect between what I was feeling and the reviews that uses here give it.

Maybe it grows on you?

I kind of dig it. There are a few things I don't like very much, but I can see that they tried to make it more accessible for those moving from a point and shoot. Overall, I would like more hardware control buttons like they did on the 7 ( I chose 5n because of the cost).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

X100 is perfect in this regard, they really nailed the size/weight ratio. I will probably love the x1pro but the price is putting me off :(

The price is offputting, but if I could be certain that a new version wouldn't come out for 2-3 years (Like 5d2--> 5d3, or most other $2000 camera purchases) I would buy it. I bought the x100, and ended up selling it at a steep discount due to how quickly other available products are coming out.

If it was $1000 or less, I would buy it and the 35mm today-- because I know (hope) the next iteration will finally fix the autofocus annoyances. But as it stands, I'm purchasing a product with lots of annoyances in a market that is moving so quickly, it's almost assured I'll want try out some other options.

I know I have a different mindset than most consumers though-- I often sell my electronics and upgrade, essentially renting most things, while getting to enjoy the latest and greatest.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

In other news it is getting REALLY hard to resist buying a drat OM-D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J-wnypCNFhk!

This is why in body IS should be standard on every drat camera :colbert:

It really does look awesome. I wish the evf was more like the sony nex7 though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

I keep seeing used x100's for sale for $850-ish with a few accessories like a case and extra batteries, sometimes in warranty sometimes out of warranty. I found a legit shop that's clearing out their x100 stock and I got the guy down to $1k out the door for a brand new one.

Is it worth saving a few hundred and getting a used one or with so many quirks like the sticky aperture blades affecting some models would you guys rather spend the extra and get a brand new one so I get the full warranty length?

Difficult to say, but doesnt fuji fix the camera for free if it has the sticky blades?

I ended up selling mine for 850ish too, it was in perfect shape and never had any problems.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

With the 12-50 for starters.

I've heard the 12-50 is awesome if you want macro (or super solid weather resistance), but if not the other lens choices are probably a better idea.

Depending on how things go this summer, I might get one to play with and compare against my nex5n. I love the 5n, but I think I'd prefer a camera with better pancake choices. It's small enough to carry in my day bag(s) with the Sigma 30, but still bigger than I'd like.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I find that kind of cultural evolution really interesting. I have even started to see "no photos" stickers on store windows (the picture of a camera in the red circle with a line through it) that now show stencils of what look like iPhones instead of "proper" cameras.

Really? I don't think I've ever seen that sign.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, guess what, my X100 started massively overexposing at smaller apertures. Haven't even had the thing for two weeks.

Back it goes.

If you mean at f/2-2.8, it's because the leaf shutter can't go over 1/1000 or something -- you need to use the ND.

If you mean at f/8+, it's probably either a real issue, or the exp compensation dial that keeps rolling because it rolls too easily.

( I see people refer to apertures as both large and small and mean opposite things, so just to ensure that I covered both bases, I decided to reply as both )

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Can you check the exif and make sure the ISO is actually @ 800 or what have you- I've heard of people who had the same problem, but it was caused by the ISO sticking to 3200 for some reason, despite being set otherwise.

I'm mostly curious as to if that is the problem, I don't think there is a solution to it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

So the new Sigma 30mm f/2.8's focal element inside the lens freely rattles about through its range when the lens isn't receiving power. That's rather disturbing, and I think I'm going to take it back because there's no way that's going to cause issues in the future. :v:

They all rattle, or at least ones at my local camera shop, mine from b&h, and lots of forum peoples do.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As someone who doesn't follow the rumor sites, is there confirmation to this? I know about that pancake lens which seemed to hint at a mirrorless system, but that's it.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/07/mirrorless-update-aps-c-cr2/

quote:

Going bigger?
We’ve mentioned in teh past that the upcoming mirrorless camera from Canon would have the G1 X sensor. While an apparent prototype exists using the sensor, the coming camera is apparently an APS-C sized sensor based around the 18mp sensor in the Rebel T4i (Hopefully the rubber grip isnt the same).

The camera will also feature an articulating touchscreen, and maybe larger than some people are anticipating.

More to come I’m sure. An announcement is expected on July 23, 2012.

It seems they're going to potentially challenge the Nex rather than Nikon/Pentax/everyone else. It should be interesting to see how it plays out, especially as if it's APS-C, they'll likely have a way to use EF lenses on it, and maybe even more pancakes.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Its gonna be fun to hand hold the 70-200 on that thing and trying to use the lcd. Is there not even an EVF being released?

I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy actually- hold by the lens, tap to focus- or mount to a tripod via lens mount and tap to focus. I'm pretty excited for where it will be in another iteration or two if it sells well enough. I like the Nex 5n but the lenses aren't pancake-y enough for me.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Empty Pockets posted:

I suppose that makes sense. I'm interested in it for the shallow depth of field more than the low light performance (for video purposes).

At this point my questions are more about lenses in general than about the NEX 7, but given the current state of affairs, I'm wondering if it would be better to some day rustle up the cash for this lens, or go with an adapter and get a lens from another mount. I'd have to do a lot more research, but in the end I'd have a more flexible and probably cheaper system.

I guess I just need to identify how important f.95 is to me. My only other "real" camera was a pentax K-1000, so manual focus doesn't really bother me. Especially with focus peaking.

Anything faster than 1.4 starts getting crazy expensive and (for most people) isn't worth the extra cash-- pretty much the only two faster lenses that are awesome are the 85L 1.2 by canon and 50 1.2L by canon (I'm sure Nikon has an equivalent).

That being said, lenses generally hold their value quite well so you're not pissing away money because if your needs change in the future, you can always resell it to recoup most of the cost.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I should have been clear in meaning that used lenses retain their value quite well. I actually make an average of $150 on every lens I have purchased used, used for a year or more, and resold afterwards. It's all about knowing what you're looking for, the average price, and waiting for Canon rebates (or a natural disaster slowing down production or something) so that the used market takes a nice hit in prices.

The only exceptions are really for high end lenses in which you can double dip on rebates/cashback/other things, for example, the 70-200 IS II I purchased for $1900 from B&H (And a deal I got on my 100L in which I got double rebates + eBay cash back).

Reselling niche lenses is difficult because the market is much smaller, but the same strategy essentially holds in all the markets.

e: And right now, for example, eBay is doubling eBay bucks rewards for another few hours. You can save upwards of $200 on a large purchase.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 3, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

unleash the unicorn posted:

Kind of disagree here. If the value holds up that well I might as well buy new.

Lenses are like cars in a way--going from new--> used drops the value 10-20% (or more I guess). After that, as long as there is no abuse, they still hold their value quite well. This is because (and once again, I speak for Canon only because I'm only familiar with them) new/updated versions are only released every 5-10 years.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
18-50 pancake? That's a very interesting preposition-- I'd like to see the insides of that.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
And so begins the addition of wifi into consumer cameras. I can't wait for the next generation of them. I still have my 5n and it's good enough for when I don't want my large gear-- but it's pretty tempting to be able to transfer them to my ipad while out without an eye-fi.

I really hope it allows wifi live view-- or at least that it will happen soon enough (either Sony or Fuji will probably be the first-- Canikon will lag behind as per usual).

e:vv I would be extremely surprised if their engineers would really have such an oversight. They may not have the best/most intuitive UI, but they're not incompetent. A wifi radio saps a lot of power, especially while it's constantly searching.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 29, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
From when I had the x100 and I wanted to manual focus, I would use the af-on to get me in the general area of what I wanted to focus on and attempt to tweak the focus manually from there. Trying to manually focus entirely was a great way to get frustrated at how many turns it takes.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

I have an RX100, X-Pro1 and an X-100, also I have yet to sell my 5D2 even though I sold all of my Canon glass. I have a problem.

Whats your favorite-- and why?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Ksi posted:

So i can manage to get a X-pro 1 body for around 769 dollars NEW.
The problem is, lenses are not that common in my country (I'm from Mexico)

Should i go for it anyway? I was thinking of getting a x100 anyway, as a carry around camera (i have a d700). But seeing the x-pro 1 body going for that price is basically a steal.

Is it worth it over the x100?

What's with this deal? I would but one for under $800 new.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

Sony is putting it to the DSLR users in Oz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LApO_BDRE8M

I admit that I laughed at the ad, but I've been seeing a trend in which companies are almost attacking people in their ads. I don't think that it's really a technique which is going to get people to switch to their product.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Sony focus peaking is pretty okay, I think it's probably very useful if you buy the EVF.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I finally did it and ordered a Fuji Xpro1 and 35mm 1.4. Going to swap around my gear for the new year, probably another year of minimalism so that I actually get back to shooting.

Fuji xpro
35 1.4
24 TS/E for whatever canon body(s) I end up keeping
light meter + flashes

Considering downgrading my 5d2 to a 5dc.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

rio posted:

Does anyone here have the Sigma E-mount 19mm? I'm wondering if it as sharp as the 30mm - I love that thing to death.

Don't have it, bought a 30mm because people said it was better than the 19 and I like both FOVs. It's a pretty awesome lens though, especially for the price.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Got to play with my Xpro1 & 35 1.4 today a bit. Upset that it doesn't have a minimum shutter speed setting like the x100- and due to the size/weight/balance I will likely always have the shutter set to 1/250, on auto iso (6400) and alter my aperture as needed.

On auto ISO with an aperture set, the shutter speed chosen for the 35 is 1/50~ which is not nearly high enough for me to get a high % of stable shots.

It's kind of awkward sized actually-- big and solid, yet smaller than a dSLR by quite a margin. I think I'll like it though, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

moonduck posted:

Rumor has it that we'll see an X100 successor announced in January with Fuji's X-Trans sensor. I just sprung for an XE-1, I'm hoping the X200 or whatever it winds being called doesn't make me wish I had held out.

That would be a little upsetting to me too because I loved my X100, and a fixed version of that would potentially be my ideal camera. Still super excited about my XPro1 though.

e: But if it's just what I'm looking for, around the same price point, I'd have no problem selling whatever to swap to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think full frame is necessary, especially as the cost of the xpro and xe are already fairly high- but an interview with a Fuji guy a while back basically said they're investigating possibly going full frame, and X series lenses do have an imaging circle large enough to cover full frame, but there would be a problem with wide angles (presumably because of a short flange distance).

The sensors already perform amazingly well at high ISO, unless they were able to absorb the costs of going full frame, or very slightly increase costs, I think it would cost them more sales than it increases.