Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Just posting to say that I adore my NEX-5. I only use two lenses on it a C/Y 50 f/1.4 and a C/Y 28 f/2.8 (via adapter), nothing special. I am waiting very very patiently for more native primes to come out.

The size of these mirrorless cameras is what drew me in. I basically stopped shooting sports a while ago (or only shot them super rarely) because I realized that I really like sports too much to be watching through a camera haha. Once that happened it was 90% street/walk around shooting. The NEX, even with a beercan 50 (and adapter) is so much smaller, easier to carry, and discrete than a full SLR. Fit me perfectly. I sold my canon gear and have not looked back since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
What hacking can you do to the m4/3 cams?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
It worked pretty well! I could even judge dof while intoxicated...

...and then I lost my NEX
:sob:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
This Zuiko 12mm and the Panasonic 20mm are what I would get on an EP (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/805167-REG/Olympus_V311020SU000_M_Zuiko_Digital_ED.html)

That lens looks hawt.

That said I loved my NEX, the much mentioned downside is that it has a tiny fraction of the available lenses as m4/3rds.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bob Socko posted:

Yes, I know about the LA-EA1 adapter, but I'm not crazy about having to rely on CDAF for fast action and/or dark settings.

When I tried it...the auto focus was glacially slow. So yeah if you are shooting for a true backup the EA2 seems the better option despite size/cost.

Man I miss my NEX :(

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Miso Beno posted:

My dorky impulse buy camera has arrived.

For some reason your post filled me with rage at my SLT (not a large camera). I really want to sell it and pick up a used e-pl2 or something just for the size.

But nice buy ;)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
For you m4/3 peoples:
Which is considered better, the oly 17mm/2.8 or the panasonic 14mm/2.5?

I am strongly considering getting a mirrorless and I like my semi-wide primes haha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am really torn. How did those of you with a mirrorless camera make your choice of which system?

On one hand is the lessor sensor of the m4/3 but with more native lenses. On the other hand is NEX with the sensor but basically no lenses (the 24 is a biiiit out of my price range).

Non-native lenses are not really a factor to me, but I do realize that it'd be a superior experience on the NEX with peak focusing.

Any insights guys?
Also anyone with an E-PL2/3 (I guess E-P2/3 too), how is the video for you? Not a serious video person but I'd like to have it be 'usable'.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Ah thanks guys. I am definitely getting caught up in the tech specs a bit more than I normally would. haha. I was planning on heading over to a camera shop to see if I could hold and compare them and I guess that will end up being one of the major factors.
Thanks for the tip about the P3 series and video. Definitely scratches those off my list.

And wow yeah...the GF2 can be gotten used for insanely cheap.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Thanks for the additional viewpoints guys.
Tough choice ahead. hehe.

Bummer that on the m4/3 front it appears to be hard(ish) to find the 20/1.7.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My god that OM-D EM-5 looks so great. Its funny until I saw the section of the review with the comparison pictures I didn't realize how small it was either.
It really is only a matter of time until I get a m43 camera.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Can any of you m4/3 people comment on whether the e-p3 is worth 250$ more than the e-pl2?

The e-pl2 used looks like 350, e-pl3 500, and the e-p3 is 600...I believe it is said that the 3 series has faster AF but basically the same image quality. The control difference between them doesn't seem a big deal since I spend 90% of my time in aperture priority.

I'm not really considering the pl3 because...I like the look of the pl2 and p3 haha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

teethgrinder posted:

Since you're not getting the new 16MP sensor in the E-P3 I'd say it's probably pointless over the E-PL2. Save the $250 for upgrading later ha.

Yeah that is honestly what I was thinking. The e-pl2 could last me a year or two while I get the lenses and hopefully the sensor will have made a nice jump in that timeframe...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
drat you guys. I finally got the m43 I was looking to buy because of that 250$ e-pm1.

When does that hilarious seeming 15mm/8 mega pancake come out? Its basically an impulse purchase just to see what it does :P

E: Actually not sure if it went through. Hm.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 19, 2012

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Does anyone have an E-PL3 and comment on how they like it? Especially the handling.

The 250$ E-PM1 I tried to order got paypal cockblocked so I'm going for the 299$ PL3 now (http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-PL3-Micro-4-3-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-II-Lens-Black-Factory-Demo-65952.cfm)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
If I am looking for a mirrorless camera, for having on me as much as possible (small size is ++), and I know that if I got a normal mirrorless I'd just toss a prime on there...I should just get a x100 series camera, right? Used x100s? I would describe my photography interest as "General walking around".

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

toadee posted:

I think that last one is the best idea. Rent several and see what you like best. I have an X100 as well and I love it to death, but it's not for everyone. Some people want to like, zoom, occasionally, for instance.

Renting is a good call. Grab two of em for a weekend and see how it works out. Thanks guys.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Is the X100S primed to my door in time for the weekend an okay deal at ~$790? Amazon seems to be the only place with used ones in stock right now (besides bh and keh don't that is).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fragrag posted:

I got my X100S second hand for 700 euros but I got that from gear nut who had already bought the X100T, which seems to be the standard price in this area. It might pay to shop around a bit first

EDIT; Looking into making my own case for the X100S and I just stumbled on this gem :stare:

http://www.leicatime.com/a000-CasesFujiFinepixX100.X10.htm

:catstare: bahahaha.

I ended up grabbing it, it seems the black ones are running a bit more (and that is what I wanted). Meh, didn't need to be a steal, just wanted to make sure it was in the right wheelhouse. Huzzah for a new toy :)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I have a x100s that has started to have problems with its autofocus. I've used the camera to varying degrees over the years but really got into it again lately. Because of that I think I want to get a mirrorless to get a bit more options with lenses. I'm not tied to Fuji, so I am curious what you all would rec to someone coming in without a tie to a system. I was looking at the Fuji X-E3 for price range but it seems to be out of stock everywhere anyway.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm not sure of all the viewfinder sizes but I didn't get on with the XE2 because the viewfinder was notably smaller than the XT1. I used to own an X100 and I think the XE2 viewfinder was smaller. Something to check out.

A used XT2 might be worth a shot in that price range.

Hmmm that is a really good point. Then I need to weigh size (dimensions/weight bc smaller is definitely better) vs the viewfinder upgrade haha. This is turning out to be tougher than I expected.
E: I wish I knew where to start with m43 too. Some Rangefinder style relatively recent body.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 9, 2020

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I really enjoy my Viltrox 23/1.4 for Fuji. I got it for under $300 USD, which feels like a steal.
The AF is solid and even gets a patch every once in a while (last one really made some nice speed improvements for me). It is definitely a pretty big lens though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well...cool. I ordered a fuji 35/2 from amazon warehouse. It shipped, they declared it undeliverable, refunded me the money...then the lens arrived.
Its been like a week now so I guess they just gifted me a new lens! Hooray! Not sure if I need any more lenses for a while since I have the Viltrox 23/1.4 and now this 35/2. I guess I could look for a UWA for vacations...