Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I have joined the Cult of the Mirrorless.

Just got a Fuji X-Pro3. I am excite.

I used to shoot a lot of DSLR about 10 years ago and got fed up. I picked up 35mm film as a hobby last year. Fell in love with an old Leica my dad gave me. Opted for the X-Pro3 over the x100 as I wanted lens options. That said, I almost got an X100 - I’ve borrowed a friends’ a few times.

I also picked up the M mount adapter so I can try the Leica lenses on it. We’ll see if it’s worth the trouble. For Fuji lenses, I got the XF 18mm f/2 and the XF 35mm f/1.4. I don’t do much shooting beyond 35mm and 50mm full frame and those two are close-ish to that while sharing the same filter diameter.

Trip report soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

Thanks for the Fujifilm advice itt. I’m pulling the trigger on selling my X100F and getting an X-T30 with the 15-45 kit lens to try out before I invest in any other glass.

I do have a fair amount of Nikon glass that I’ve accumulated over the past 15 years. Does anyone have experience with an adapter to use Nikon glass on a Fuji? There seem to be a number of them online with mixed reviews and the adapters themselves cost almost as much as a cheap prime, so it may not be worth it.

I used to run a Nikon DSLR setup. Before I sold it, I did try some of the lenses on a Fuji body - I wanna say X-T1 or X-T10. I did not find the results particularly worthwhile.

When I got back into the hobby with Fuji, I ended up just picking the most common prime lengths in Fuji I wanted (28mm equivalent, 50mm equivalent, and ~85-90mm equivalent).

Frankly, I think Fuji makes better glass than Nikon.

edit: make timeline clearer

rufius fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 26, 2022

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I’m almost there with my Fuji kit. 70-300 and 35/2. Now just need to pull trigger on 18/1.4.

Is the 70-300 worth it? I’m eyeing it hard as I’ve got some nice parks with birbs around that I wanna take pictures of.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

harperdc posted:

You can make the primes fast enough to not really need it?

Basically this in my experience.

It’s pretty rare that I need image stabilization with a prime lens on my Fujis. In fact, I think the only Fuji manufactured prime with OIS is the $6k 200mm prime.

Most of the time I want image stabilization is when my focal length is >135mm - so effectively the zoom lenses.

Ninja edit: plus you have a number of options for the Fuji X bodies that include IBIS - X-H1, X-T4, X-S10. I don’t own any of those but I’ve used the X-T4 and it was solid.

rufius fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 6, 2022

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

Their expensive 80mm macro has image stabilization too.

Ah I forgot about that thing. I’ve never used it - the one person I know with one seems very torn about it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

CRAYON posted:

I know I'm in the minority here but I absolutely love the X-Pro3 screen setup. After about 10 minutes of use to build some muscle memory it's just as fast to review photos as having a regular screen and it's protected when you're not using the screen, which for me is like 95% of the time. Also it works great for quickly moving to waist level or lower shots. I know you can do the same with the X100V but it always seemed a bit fiddly compared to the simplicity of the X-Pro3.

If I had to bet on it I think Fuji will change the X-Pro4 screen, because I think a majority of users didn't like it very much but I really hope they expand on the current design rather than just moving to the X100V style.

Ah, I see you too are a man of culture. My main camera is the XPro-3. It’s my favorite.

That said, I also have an X-T30 ii and that thing is super nice to grab on my way out the door with my 18mm f2. A good backup camera or super lightweight one.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I have the fuji 80mm macro and I enjoy it as a portrait lens in addition to the macro, although admittedly portraiture isn’t a genre I do much of anymore.

I have been eyeballing that thing. I tend to favor small lenses heavily so the main thing holding me back is how big it is. I know it has OIS but the 60mm is much smaller.

Also the 60mm is way cheaper even if it’s older tech.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Anyone got opinions on Laowa lenses?

In particular, I’m eyeing the 9mm for Fuji X-mount. I know it’s manual focus and no EXIF data. Mostly interested in quality of images from it. I am fine with the aforementioned limitations.

I’m also sorta interested in the f/0.95 33mm as a curiosity. Just trying to get a sense of the brand.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

frogbs posted:

I haven’t used it myself, but have you seen Jonas Rask’s review of it? He compares to a few other 0.95 lenses at similar price points: https://jonasraskphotography.com/2021/05/03/another-one-the-laowa-argus-33mm-f-0-95-apo-review/

Also, whenever I try to get a sense of what a lens can do I see if there’s a common Instagram tag for it. This one looks to be #laowa33mmf095

Ah nice recommendation. I think I ran across Jonas Rask in the past but hadn't realized they review consistently.

I'll take a look at the instagram tag too. Thanks!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Fuji :words:

However there’s a rumor that there will be two X-H2s, one with a 40MP sensor (ostensibly implemented to enable 8k video) and another with, apparently, the old 26MP sensor.. which seems to hint to me that there will maybe be some compromises (perhaps in dynamic range) involved in using the 40MP sensor for stills.

So I guess we’ll see; maybe I’m holding out on the new Fuji cameras for nothing, and will end up keeping the D810 for a few more years.

Ya - for me at least, the current gen of Fuji hardware for me (XPro-3 and X-T30ii) are sufficient for most of my shooting.

If I were gonna get anything new, I’m eyeing the GFX50R medium format. But even used, that’s like a 3500-5000 buy in for the body and a lens.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

frogbs posted:

Not sure if you know already, but the GFX 50R body is $2999 new right now: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1436551-REG/fujifilm_600020523_gfx_50r_medium_format.html

And you can get the GF 50mm 3.5 for $799 after mail in rebate: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1491968-REG/fujifilm_600021097_gf_50mm_f_3_5_r.html

Literally right after I posted that I started looking again and found that deal.

Then I saw the GFX50S ii which has IBIS is $4500 with a decent zoom (28-55mm equiv).

I’m currently trying to talk myself out of buying the latter…

I may go rent one from the big camera shop nearby and see if I like how it handles. I’m more of a low light and manual focus shooter so the gripes I have read about “slow auto focus” aren’t really a big deal to me.

Ninja edit: Annnnnd the camera shop does not rent the GFX series. Damnit.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Lily Catts posted:

what do people use their 35mm lenses (on an APS-C) for? I have a Fujinon 35mm f/2, but I've found that I use it the least out of my lenses--I mostly shoot on the street and the 23mm f/2 occupies that sweet spot--especially when it comes to photographing cats.

Thought of using it for street portraits (I might do a casual shoot with a friend soon), but idk I might just default to the 23mm instead lol

My Fuji 35 f/1.4 is probably my most heavily used lens on my Fuji X stuff. I tend to keep a little distance and I like the bokeh it generates.

Edit: I’ve used the 35mm f/2 and I found it pretty uninspiring. Just wasn’t for me. So I probably wouldn’t use it much either.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Its close to 50mm on a full frame. So its good for portraits, but I mostly use it for walk about lens when I fancy having just a little bit extra reach over my 24mm(35mm eq), mostly for taking pictures of my dog on walks but it definitely gets less use for sure.

Same since I’m always chasing kids. I find I either like to be close enough to use a 24 or 28mm equivalent or far enough to start using 50 or 75.

No dig on 35mm equivalent, just not really how I use my cameras. Though I’ve been using a 40mm equiv lately a lot and really like that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Devorum posted:

Looking at getting into Mirrorless. I have a DSLR (Nikon D5100), but really want to switch over to mirrorless, partially because it's where everything is moving but mostly because I like the idea of being able to see what my picture will look like with my settings before taking it.

I'm considering the Nikon Z50, Z fc, Z5; Sony A6100; Canon EOS M50m2; Fujifilm X-T4, X-T30.

This is mostly based on what's available in my country. Are any of these a clear standout, or a clear loser? Anything else I should be looking at? I have a couple of DX lenses for the Nikon, the 18-55 kit lens and an AF-S 18-200. I really like the dials on the Fujifilm and Z fc, but not sure how practical they are in reality. I'm really leaning toward the Z50, but I've seen a lot of people down on Nikon lately.

I'm mostly just going to be doing (very amateur) street photography and landscapes and the like.

I really like my Fuji X cameras and lenses. They’re not for everyone but I have found them to be perfect for my use - similar to yours with street and landscape.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Devorum posted:

I think X-T30 II is my current plan. Finding anything used is rough over here, and the only place that sells Fuji is in the next country over and doesn't have anything below the T30 II. The major thing pushing toward the X-T4 is the weather sealing, since I live in a literal desert and dust is a constant issue.

My X-T30ii is my favorite camera to just grab and go. It’s small and can capture my 3 year old tearing rear end around whatever environment we’re in.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

pumped up for school posted:

Does anyone have any advice re: the fuji 18mm f/2 pancake? Not sure if I'd see much difference from it vs. the 23 f/2, except very low profile (which is what's drawing me).

I have the 18mm f/2 and use it a lot. Most days if I’m out with kids, I’ll take it and bring my 35mm f/1.4 (old one).

Takes solid pictures - you could get sharper but not by much.

I tend to prefer the slightly wider angle. I’ve never been much for FF 35mm equivalent shots (the 23mm you referenced).

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

tuyop posted:

Looking for a light mirrorless, preferably APS-C rather than 4/3 but I’d probably be happy either way. Interchangeable lens is necessary but mostly will probably be shooting birds and bugs. If there are any standouts in that space that I didn’t pick up in the last couple of pages.

I currently have a 90D and a little collection of lenses, but I don’t think it’s worthwhile to go for a Canon mirrorless that can work with those lenses.

Oh, and I’d be really interested in used. Are there any obvious cameras I should be looking at?

Fuji X-T30ii

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

Does anyone in this forum shoot a digital Leica?

I have shot on one but I don’t own one… yet. Some day.

I have film Leica gear that I inherited+rounded out. One of the lenses is even digital compatible (has the magic so that the camera recognizes what lens).

My 2c on smartphone vs dedicated cam chat: I like a dedicated cam because it keeps me from falling down a smartphone hole and get distracted.

I shoot fuji and a big part of that is the film sim recipes. I’ve got mine setup to render nice jpegs out of the camera for my most common shooting scenarios like low light indoors with my kids.

I almost never edit anything in LR these days because I don’t have the time. For me, the film sim recipes saved a lot of time. I do still occasionally edit when I decide to print something.

rufius fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 28, 2023

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

Can I ask your preferred recipes/settings for jpgs in this situation? We live in Minnesota so I spend way too much of the winter hunkered inside and my kids become the main photo subjects by default. I love Fuji recipes but I find some of them give really unpleasant skin tones with indoor lighting.

I primarily shoot indoors on an X-T4 so that’ll be a limiter depending on your camera. These all come from Fuji X Weekly. On my phone so not directly linking.

My preferred indoor recipes are:

- Timeless Negative
- Eterna v2
- Reggie’s Portra - I use this one a lot if I’m getting any natural light in addition to lamps.

My preferred overcast outdoor recipes are:

- Fujicolor Reala 100
- Fujicolor Superia 800 - this one can wash skin out a bit but it’s good for most other subjects
- Reggie’s Portra - if I’m mostly shooting people, I’ll use this one

Reala 100 is new for me but I’ve shot it a lot in the last couple days. It gives the same feel as Superia 800, but it works better with skin tones.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

Thanks for sharing! I have an X-T30 so I’ll check these out.

I shot a bunch indoors using Acros today. It’s such a good coverup for high ISO situations.

Ah that reminded me. I do shoot BW occasionally. The ones I’ve most liked indoors are Classic Monochrome and Monochrome Negative.

I’ve also got a recipe I’ve tweaked over time that I use. It’s basically Acros+R, +2 H, +2 S, -4 NR, 0 Clarity, +1 Sharpening, Auto WB.

I often use that as my multi environment “proofing image” where I know I’ll want to fiddle with RAW files and just need a profile to view on the back of the camera that I trust the results of.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Briefly returning to digital Leica chat… sorta. Has anyone played with a Pixii?

I have a hard time stomaching the cost of even the first gen M10 for a camera that’s 6-7 years old. They’re running around $3500-4000 from the last few months I’ve been passively looking. Too much for a used body for me.

Pixii, despite being ~3k caught my eye because they’ve designed it to be upgradable. Early adopters have gotten their devices upgraded as they’ve released new sensors/hardware.

I decided to put in a preorder. Might cancel it later but I’ve got some very nice Leica glass I inherited that I want to use on a digital body.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

qirex posted:

I love the Pixii as an idea, especially the 12 bit black and white RAW files but I can't imagine it being my only or main camera. No EVF or screen, minimal manual controls, risk of small company for long term ownership, etc. In this day and age 3 grand doesn't seem that bad for a camera, the made in Japan X-Pro 3 is [was? I think it got discontinued] 2 grand minimum. Basically I want someone else to buy one and tell me about it since I'll probably never see one in the wild so I say go for it.

Ya that’s basically where I’m at. I’m okay with the lack of EVF or screen if only because the software integration with phone seems slick. If it’s sucks I’ll return it but I’m happy to experiment.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Thoren posted:

APS-C sensor with M mount and electronic shutter ruins the Pixii for me. The monochrome mode uses software to trade color channels for increased resolution. It seems pointless unless you enjoy the psychological aspect of being locked into B&W. From what I'm reading you don't get the same advantages as a Leica Monochrom sensor which has about a 3 stop ISO advantage, no color noise, and insane amounts of details saved in shadows.

The concept is cool though. If they had a full frame version with some kind of fast sensor readout, like 1/250 shutter speed, it would be a pretty amazing camera.

Re: APS-C - I hear that though I don’t personally have much grump with it since I shot a fair amount with my Leica lenses on a Fuji XPro-3.

Aside from avoiding a couple lenses (I forget which now), I was perfectly happy with the image quality.

I have less strong opinions about Leica vs pixii monochrome talk. I certainly grok what Leica is doing. Some of the images I’ve seen from the pixii using it’s monochrome setting are impressive but I’m not sure I’ve made up my mind.

Honestly - the big thing I’m interested in is the color profiles. For me at least, the color profiles are very appealing. Oh and the fact that brand new it’s still cheaper than an M10 original.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I just traded in all my old Canon DSLR gear and a Fuji X100 for a Leica Q.

Previously owned an M3 back in the day when I shot film and loved it, so I'm hoping the Q inspires me because I haven't been shooting much at all lately.

Also been eyeing the Q2 Monochrome, it sounds perfect to me but oh my god the price tag

OOC - any reason you went Q vs M? My guess: autofocus?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I would like to “like and subscribe” to Leica Q chat. I’ve been curious about them for a while.

I have friends that have them but they’re already Leica people so their opinions are suspect.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

You shoot an X100 series for income? Honestly I’m impressed. Not because it’s not capable, but most pros lean on 3-4 lenses and a couple bodies.

I am acquainted with someone that does professional stuff as a side job thing by word of mouth. They’ve done some cool stuff with X100V shoots.

Personally I never can figure it out. My preferred focal length is 28mm - I probably shoot 70% of my photos in that. After that comes 40-50mm.

I’m not a pro - just always find I am constantly stepping back or forward with 35mm. My Fuji kit goes FF-equivalent 28, 50, 135.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I might be looking to do that with the Leica Q if I'm happy with it. I did professional work for a few years full time in the late 2000's. Mostly freelance sports stuff, but I did lots of assisting for other local photographers, mostly weddings, events and commercial stuff. I would never take on a wedding on my own (yikes), but it's fun to assist as a spare photg for candid shooting and generally helping out, not having to be in charge and responsible for the business side of it.

Nice. I’m borrowing a friends Q2 Mono next week. I’m excited. He was showing me some of his shots and now I’m worried I’m gonna end up buying one…

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

My problem is id really like an M10-R or an M11 but they can’t really be had in decent condition for less than $6k. Meanwhile, I have a lead on a Q2 Monochrom with some light wear for $4300.

Willing to dump some of my gear for the Q2 Monochrom. I’ll wait a couple more years for M10-R or M11 prices to come down. I’ve played with the M bodies before that but I want 40MP min for that money.

It’s wild that M10-P’s are going for like $4500+ to me.

Anyway. I’m an idiot for wanting Leica things but that’s what I get for my grandfather giving me his old gear.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Thoren posted:

I think you can get an M10 Monochrom for like 5k.

I have failed to find any that low. Seems like the floor has been $6500 and that was for a beat up one. They seem to run a 10-15% markup relative to the 10-R.

A cursory glance on eBay says bidding is starting around $5000 and going up 20-30% from there. BIN deals are like $7500+.

Anyway - it’s a stupid amount of money.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

:words:

But at $6k the Monochrome is just ridiculous for a black and white only camera. Gonna have to wait a few years and see it come down in price a good amount on the used market before I ever seriously consider it.

Ya - through a friend, I know someone selling theirs for $4500 (the one I’m borrowing). It’s got some light wear on the body but nothing catastrophic. The whole unit was recently CLA’ed. Part of the reason for the lower price is that it’s a gray market item so you don’t get the standard Leica warranty process.

Anyway, I’ll post some stuff after I have a little time to experiment with it. If I like it, I’ll probably buy it.

I shoot the majority of my stuff in BW - partly because I find it more useful for reviewing photos on the back LCD. Wondering if I’ll feel the same if I have no ability to get a color image out.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Thoren posted:

My bad, I was going by Hong Kong prices. I had no idea it was so much more expensive elsewhere. Fortunately I live in Asia and a round trip flight is only like $150 right now.

I'd be tempted to get the M10M over the Q2M if I actually had Leica glass. Goddamn those lenses are expensive.

I guess it's time for a vacation to Hong Kong/Singapore/Thailand. Not super excited about a 14 hour flight and definitely getting the rona but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Unless things have changed, Thailand has pretty crap prices on electronics (import duty, although I think if you fill out some paperwork you can get this back as a tourist?). The other two are good bets though.

Ya - I only mention Thailand because I have family on my mom’s side there. Hong Kong is for the shopping.

Thoren posted:

I look forward to your street photography vlogs from Pattaya, Thailand.

Lol absolutely not. No vlogs ever. Just end me if I ever post that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Nice - I literally just bought an XF 33mm a week ago. Called the local camera store and asked if I could get the discount and they're gonna honor it. $100 bucks back for me.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Leempi posted:

I bought a used Q2 monochom recently and quite enjoy using it.

Feels like the camera gets out the way and you can just take pictures, as stupid as that sounds. The lens is nice, i like the focal length on it and the B&W pictures look nicer to me than color converted to B&W. I dunno, might be convincing myself to justify the money spent.

I’ve been playing with one this week (Q2 Mono). Agree on all your points. It might be my favorite camera I’ve used.

Re: the quality of B&W photos that come out of it. I think the closest objective comparison would be to compare it with B&W converted photos from a Q2.

I’ve been comparing it a bunch with my other cameras and I think it does do a better job in the shooting scenarios I spend most of my time in - indoor lighting with family as my main subject. I’m gonna try to get out this week if it’s sunny and see if I can compare the better lighting scenarios.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Love seeing people get into the Q2M. :getin:

A tip (not that anyone asked) for doing quick shots, especially indoors: If you let parts of it run on auto, you’ll find that by default it’s comically reluctant to raise the ISO and will go down to some atrociously slow shutter speeds instead. That’s fine for a landscape or something, but if you’re trying to get a pic of your cat, forget about it.

I recommend going into the auto ISO settings and speeding up the minimum shutter, while uncorking the max ISO. I keep it at 100,000 with the shutter at 1/(4f) (though I usually set that manually). Obviously you don’t have to go that crazy if you don’t want all the noise, but I think it looks cool.

In general, it’s laid out in a way that makes manual shooting really easy and fun, but when chasing your kids and pets around the house, it’s possible to make the auto settings a little more spicy.

This is probably all very obvious to most people, but it took me way too long to figure this out, and I had a ton of blurry shots at first.

These are good words and I figured that out organically yesterday. Couldn’t get a sharp shot for the first half hour. Started reviewing the exposures and realized everything was shooting at 1/30-1/15 or something.

Now I’ve got “indoor slow” and “indoor fast” profiles where the only diff is the min shutter speed is 1/125 with AFs for the “slow” profile. Fast is like 1/250 and AFc which works well enough for kids chasing dogs.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Post the pics! I can't wait to try one.

This is just a quick one on my way home. A little cleanup in Lightroom on my phone, mostly to bring some of the tonal differentiation in the sky.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Nice. Are you using the Leica app? How is it?

Caveat: I’ve only really spent time with the Fuji app and the Leica app.

It’s definitely better than the Fuji app but it’s a low bar. It definitely looks nicer, remote shutter function is neat and it gives you a preview for framing. Will be handy if I get one and take it with my partner on vacation.

It lets you select DNG’s to download if you want. That’s handy given I tend to edit very little beyond fixing highlights and skies if I can help it. Mostly stuff you could do in LR on your phone if you were in a rush.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Post the pics! I can't wait to try one.

Another quick one… light masking on the left to bring some detail out of the bushes/building but otherwise I left it alone.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Blamestorm posted:

Hey are there any standout third party lenses for the Fuji X system that are notably better than the Fuji XF equivalents? I’m aware of the Rokinon 12mm for Astro photography but was wondering about Sigma, Viltrox etc. Especially thinking about anything on the wide/fast end that compares well with the XF 16/18mm 1.4s.

It's not wide angle, but people seem to really like the Viltrox 75mm f/1.2. I haven't used one myself, but I've watched a few. videos and it seems to get pretty universal praise.

You might look at the Viltrox 13mm f/1.4. I've been very curious about it but haven't gotten my hands on one yet.

I've used the 18-55mm f/2.8 from Sigma. It's a very nice lens, fast focusing and very sharp.

That said - I shoot 90% of my photos in 28mm FF equivalent. I use the newer Fuji XF 18mm f/1.4 LM and it is a fantastic lens, I've taken some of my favorite photos with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Alright, last couple from earlier today and then I'll stop shittin up this thread with Q2M photos. Wish I'd gotten the framing on the building a little better but was standing in the middle of the street so a bit rushed. May go back tomorrow and try again.

Only tweaks were boosting clarity a little (<+10).