Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey people, I think I might want to get a new smallish camera. I've been using a RX100M2 for the last few years and while I like it a lot I'm frustrated by the controls and lack of viewfinder. My big thing is size; I love my RX100 so much because I always have it on me. I don't need a special bag to carry it [or any bag, really]. I know I'm moving out of pocketable territory but any SLR-style camera, even mirrorless size would probably just sit on a shelf. As such most of the things I've been looking at to replace it are on the rangefinder-ey of the spectrum like the Fuji X-E3 or Olympus Pen. I'm not even sure I need multiple lenses, I barely zoom with my RX100 as it is so a fast-ish prime would probably be my first purchase and fixed models like the X100 [or Leica Q if I was feeling stupid] seem like decent options as well. As far as usage I'd say general purpose, I take a lot of travel photos, buildings, clouds, landscapes, occasional cat pictures. I want a viewfinder but I'll probably mostly use the screen at least at first.

Things I like a lot:
  • USB charging
  • A good in-camera black & white mode [I use the "high contrast B&W" in my Sony a ton]
  • wifi transfer to phone/tablet [iOS]
  • Decent handheld low light performance [image stabilization?]

I'd put my budget around $1500 with one lens. I'm in no hurry so if there's stuff on the horizon I can wait. I was originally thinking about a RX100M6 but who knows when that will appear and if they keep the size the same there's not much chance of a vastly better control scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thanks for the link. I know it's going to be a bigger camera, I just am not interested in XT20 or A7-sized ones that are "small if you're used to a full SLR" but feel crazy huge to me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Animal posted:

Hey qirex. Do you have a camera store nearby? I would go in and handle something like an X100F.
I believe there's a single remaining camera store in the entire city of SF. One question about the X100F: how does the "hybrid" viewfinder work? Does it just overlay info or can it actually display what's coming from the sensor? I can't find a good description of it anywhere.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

whatever7 posted:

You can also shoot from the LCD like 90% of people with a camera.

Its probably too big for what you are looking for.
I've been using a screen only for so long it probably will be an occasional thing but there's been a few instances where I couldn't get bright outdoor shots right usually due to a combo of glare and sunglasses.

I'm aware of the size difference and have accepted that it's a fact for better features and ergonomics. I'll still have a phone for take-everywhere purposes and I'll probably hang onto the RX100 too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up an X100F, it's not like they're going to announce a replacement 6 weeks from now with the touchscreen and new UI from the XE-3, right? It seems like most of their models are on a 2-3 year refresh cycle.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I bought one today. I managed to not get any accessories but that will be a bit of a thing probably. Does the bundled lens cap fit with the lens hood adaptor?

So far it’s fun but drat there’s a lot to learn.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

8th-snype posted:

JJC makes a round hood that will work with the OEM cap.
I’m think I’m going to try that one. The price is right.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fuji question: what's the best way to get maximum contrast out of the camera? I really liked Sony's "High Contrast B&W" mode for cloud pictures on my RX100, I could just crank the exposure down until the dark part of the clouds was almost black but it preserved the highlights. I'm still experimenting between the different monochrome modes, I think Acros R is the closest so far. I'm guessing the ND filter is relevant for this kind of thing as well? If I need to boost the contrast in post that's OK too, I just need to figure out how to shoot to set myself up for it. Experiments so far are pretty muddy but the clouds aren't perfect today either.

This is the end result I'm going for

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lady Gaza posted:

Set the highlights and shadows to +3 in the camera settings?
That's a good idea that hadn't occurred to me. What I'll probably do is take them both out and fiddle until I can get the X100 to look like that mode [and look like a total crazy person while I'm doing it].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really like my RX100MII, I'm going to keep it even though I got a bigger camera. Are you stepping down from a 'real' camera to this or will this be the only thing you own that's better than a phone? Most of the complaints I've heard about it are from people used to the controls on a larger camera. If you need to adjust more than one parameter at a time it can be a little frustrating [the lens ring is basically useless] but it has a good auto mode and once you get used to it it's not the worst. I don't think you need the V version, I'd probably buy a IV if I was going to get one now, it has slightly better battery life which is more significant to my use cases than lightning fast autofocus.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My X100F accessory illness is well underway, I bought both the "lens cap fits over it" and "1960s Leica war photographer cosplay" lens hoods from JJC since both of them together are still 1/3 the price of the Fuji one. I'm going to hit the Peak Design store tomorrow to look at their straps [but not DSPTCH because it's cinco de mayo and gently caress going to Valencia Street].

The size is still the biggest thing to get used to, I can see why a lot of people just go for larger bodies since as soon as you can't fit it in your pocket an inch or two aren't much of a deal. Also the lens cap, I know people are like "no worries just use a hood" but for some reason I'm super paranoid about scratching it. Maybe I'll slide further down the accessory grognard slope and get a filter.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Actual functional question: when I'm taking well lit shots the auto ISO seems to be defaulting to 1600 or 3200 in situations that really shouldn't require it. Is this normal? The display reads "ISOA3 1600"

Animal posted:

Get a high quality thumb grip, it makes a world of difference in X100 cameras.
I haven't really had problems holding it, maybe coming from an even smaller and almost entirely smooth camera has given me kung fu grip or something. Wouldn't mind covering up the flash mount though since there's like a 1% chance I'll ever use it.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 4, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Another noob question: how relevant are filters in the age of digital photography? I'm getting a cheap UV filter mostly to protect the lens but I see a lot of others like polarizers, red filters for B&W, etc. How useful are these for digital? It seems like we can tweak the tone after the fact anyway and my camera has a built-in 4 stop ND filter so it's not super important. I do a lot of outdoor daylight, would a polarizer do much for me?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I take a lot of pictures by the bay and ocean plus it's pretty much always windy in SF, I'm worried about salt and sand and other stuff that a lens hood doesn't do anything about. I'm looking and there's clear filters if UV ones will cause issues.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Animal posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. I have taken my X100T through some pretty inhospitable environments all around the world. Its been sprayed with sea water, rained on, the lens is still perfect. I think under those conditions the electronics will fail long before the lens itself.
I think I haven't mentally accepted that this is a durable thing and not a fragile snap-together piece of plastic. I'll just get a center pinch lens cap to alleviate my symptoms [and maybe a circular polarizer just to play with].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

How do I get the 9-square grid lines to appear on the screen and viewfinder in my X100F? I have "grid 9" selected in the "framing guideline" menu but it simply won't appear. There was a level function on my Sony that was useful too.

Also I bought a polarizer and so far I've learned an important lesson that many office building windows are themselves polarized.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

8th-snype posted:

You have to go into the menu and tell it to display the framing guide. It's under "disp custom setting" in the screen set up menu. You have to independently set EVF/OVF btw.

Aaaand now there's too much crap on my screen. This will be a long, boring process to figure out exactly what I need. I think I'll go minimal on the viewfinder and spam the screen and see how that works.

My trip report so far is I love the thing, I miss how much wider my RX100 II was at 28mm more than being able to zoom and I definitely notice focus hunting more than I did on it but the pictures are so much better, especially of people. This thing does great fleshtones and it's so fast to use, I think I'm a convert. Now I just need to keep myself from buying the 28mm converter until I'm past the "getting used to it" phase.

If I'm honest I'm still getting used to being "camera on a strap" guy. There's a million tourist here walking around here with giant SLRs so it shouldn't bug me but it still does a little. My favorite accessory is this DSPTCH wrist strap, it's a little hard to take off if your hands aren't tiny but that means it's basically impossible for me to drop it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The branding of the whole range is loving baffling. The fact that they have 17 currently supported models on their website doesn't help. Also I just noticed that the 2015 model X30 is marked "New!" :psyduck:

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 24, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just got a Peak Design 10L sling, it's a little boxy but seems well made. The only obvious flaw so far is that waterproof zippers suck and it would be better with two pulls instead of one. Good volume for camera stuff + sunglasses, etc.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

whatever7 posted:

I got some bright colored nylon zipper pulls on eBay. 1 bux for a 10 pack.

No I meant it would be better with two zipper heads [not racist] so you could open or close it from either side

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Not a huge fan of my Fuji's actual menus but between being able to customize all the controls and the "me"/Q menus you just don't need to use them much.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tino posted:

The XF10 look super sexy, why are they removing the flip screen from X70 WTF.
The XF10 smacks of engineering to its price point: no articulated/selfie screen, jerky touchscreen, a loving lens cap on a pocket camera. I bet they got a directive that said "make a Ricoh GR using mostly available parts for people who take pictures of their food and it must cost under $500." If Sony thinks they can get people to pay $1000+ for a RX100 it seems like there's still room in the market for an actual X70 replacement in the $700-900 range. I wouldn't mind it myself, while my X100F can technically fit in some of my pockets the weight makes it impractical. I'd love something that worked similarly but was smaller. In the meantime my RX100 II isn't going anywhere.

One thing people on photo sites are complaining about is that the lens is too wide but I disagree, if you're taking pictures in bars, restaurants or the like you want that. Still seems idiotic to try to sell a camera to young people without a selfie screen, though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

An articulated screen is so good for animal pictures, I know you're supposed to be all #streetlife and lie down on the ground but it's maybe the single thing I miss the most from my RX100.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Xabi posted:

How are people feeling about the Fujifilm XF10? If it’s good it could be a new Ricoh GR, even if it needs a silly lens cap. From what I can gather when I’m reading about it, most seem strangely pessimistic and I can’t really understand why.

I think it's more people are really disappointed it's not an X70 replacement than the XF10 being a bad camera per se. It's an interesting concept but not targeted at enthusiasts, which seems odd at first but I think they're trying to grow their market. I think Sony has a better "first good camera" for people coming from phones with the RX100 series but $500 gets you a mark II, maybe a III used. The $499 new price point on the XF10 is I think one of the most important things about it.

After several months with my X100F the idea of a pocketable camera with the same controls and wider lens makes me excited. I'd really want it to have a viewfinder, though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm a little nervous about going 35mm equivalent only for travel with my X100F, more for wide stuff or shots in tight places than zoom but I bought the thing to challenge myself. I've been seriously considering bringing my RX100 as well but 2 cameras seems pretty grognard even though the RX100 is smaller and lighter than most lenses.

At this point I'm planning to roll with what I've got until there's an X-Pro3 or maybe X-E4 then make the jump to ILC.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The LX100 is the one Leica re-brands to be their "cheap" camera, yes?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

Nikon Z6/Z7 photos leaked, and it's very a7 derivative. All I can think of is the gag in Futurama where "Z is better than A. In fact, is 25 better than A."
So many buttons, switches and dials! Now I see why people call small Fujis "minimal." Using the exact same housing seems weird to me but they're going for a market I'm completely not a part of.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I keep the viewfinder in my X100F on live view mode pretty much exclusively, I'd like it if you could leave it in place to reduce wear & tear instead of it clicking into place every time. I tried optical mode but didn't like it since I shoot mostly B&W and I'm not good enough to visualize what it will look like at a given exposure.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wengy posted:

Rumor has it that Panasonic are going to announce their own full frame system next month :psyduck:

I read Canon might do one this fall as well so welcome to an overcrowded marketplace.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got a dent on the edge of my X100F lens cover and now the inner fuzzy lining is peeling. Are the generic $6 eBay replacements ok?

I can't shoot portrait with my sunglasses.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bought my X100F specifically to avoid gear acquisition syndrome. I wanted a “real” camera after years of pocket models but I knew I’d probably slide down a slope to owning 10 grand in lenses if I got an ILC.

I don’t know what you’re specifically trying to accomplish but as much as I love it if I didn’t care about size I’d probably get something like an RX10. I frequently miss the wider fov from my rx100m2 as well as the zoom. That said if you really like 35mm equivalent I can’t imagine a better camera except maybe for weather resistance. Having everything I need without menu diving is a serious eye-opener compared to my Sony. After using it I can’t imagine going back to PASM on a different model.

e: the X100 is definitely not pocket size because of the weight alone. It’s small for what you get but I always have a bag when I’m carrying it.

qirex fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 3, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

8th-snype posted:

I own the JJJC round hood. It's very good at blocking veiling flare and easy to screw off for the aux lenses. You can even use the OEM lens cap on it.

Since the off-brand ones are so cheap I ended up buying 3:
1. The JJC round one
2. A Haoge(?) that's a slimmer version of the round one but otherwise identical [the filter adaptor pieces are interchangable]
3. The JJC version of the official two piece cool kid rangefinder style

The round JJC is probably my favorite one, the thin Haoge is only a couple mm thinner so it doesn't change the overall profile much plus the JJC is easier to put on/remove and you can fit a filter inside with the hood on, the Haoge is too tight. Of course if you want to be a real street photographer you need the two piece since it looks the coolest but then you need a lens cap [also one of those straps that's just a single piece of rope].

Excessive? Yes, but all three of them combined cost less than half the price of the Fuji hood. I have also tried way too many straps if people want to hear about those.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The new sensor, autofocus system and touchscreen will be awesome in an upcoming X-Pro3 or X100F, er, X100V? [They kind of broke their naming system]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Does affinity support Fuji compressed raw? I couldn’t get Lightroom to play nice with those.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fools Infinite posted:

As your initial post said you were interested in holiday photos and maybe branching out later I still recommend considering a large sensor enthusiasts compact. I've seen rx100 IVs going for $450 in my area, and if you decide to get a full kit an actually pocketable compact is still useful.

A RX100 IV is a great option, even in auto it takes good pictures and even though the manual controls aren't great if you shoot in aperture priority you can get a lot of the way there. Plus it's tiny and quiet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rio posted:

Want the new Leica? Feel like shooting digital with no back screen and an advance lever so it *feels like film*? You’re in luck!

https://leicarumors.com/2018/10/16/pictures-of-the-leica-m10-d-camera-leaked-it-has-an-advance-lever.aspx/
They seem pretty self-aware about their market.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I had piles of money lying around I’d probably get a Monochrom and some stupid fast lens to go with it but at least the lack of filter actually makes the images look a little different.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So the advance lever on the new Leica M10-D? It turns out it's for nothing. It's purely decorative and Leica themselves says it should be used as a thumb rest.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

To further enhance the analog look and experience of this camera, the Leica M10-D features an integrated fold-out thumb rest, reminiscent of a classic film advance lever, which aids in the ergonomics and handling of the camera – especially when shooting one-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tino posted:

So can you not advance the lever in satisfying winding motion? gently caress you Leica!

In 2022 there will be a M10-DR with realistic haptic winder-feel and a built in speaker that plays gear and spring noises. It will cost twenty thousand dollars.