Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

keyframe posted:

Holy crap A7iii is amazing. I am so in love with this thing, especially the eye AF. :allears:

I love A7iii. One of my favourite things that I never knew I needed was a silent electronic shutter—it’s a new world of candid shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I brought a monopod on my safari and it was surprisingly helpful. I was able to use it in the vehicle either on the floor or on the seat (between my legs or next to my hip) and it was just enough stabilization to get sharp photos at longer focal ranges. I had a canon 70-200 2.8 on a canon crop body and I still wish I had more reach. Should have bought a 1.4 or 2x teleconverter.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Google Butt posted:

What about one of those selfie rigs they used to use on those haunted buildings tv shows

Ok I will bite, what kind of rig is it?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

keyframe posted:

Holy crap A7iii is amazing. I am so in love with this thing, especially the eye AF. :allears:

Rite Of Massage posted:

I love A7iii. One of my favourite things that I never knew I needed was a silent electronic shutter—it’s a new world of candid shots

Shut up the both of you. Mine is still backordered and I have no idea when I will get it :negative: My camera store friend says the Sony inventory system shows 35 coming into the country in the next week or so but I can't imagine any one of those will get to me.

On the bright side, at least my 24-70/dock/EF > E mount adapter are all on their way. Not that I can do anything with them until my body arrives.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Verman posted:

Shut up the both of you. Mine is still backordered and I have no idea when I will get it :negative: My camera store friend says the Sony inventory system shows 35 coming into the country in the next week or so but I can't imagine any one of those will get to me.

On the bright side, at least my 24-70/dock/EF > E mount adapter are all on their way. Not that I can do anything with them until my body arrives.

I had to sit and stare at the 12-24 and 24-70 in my office for two weeks while the body was back ordered.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
So I just got a Pentax-a SMC 50mm 1.7 for my A5000. Other than putting it in shutter priority and manual controls on the lens for focusing and aperture, is there anything that I need to be aware of? It comes with an E mount adaptor, would I be able to use this with other Pentax K mount lenses too?

I currently have the kit lens that came with the camera and the Sony 16mm f 2.8 so using adaptors is new to me.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

NonzeroCircle posted:

So I just got a Pentax-a SMC 50mm 1.7 for my A5000. Other than putting it in shutter priority and manual controls on the lens for focusing and aperture, is there anything that I need to be aware of? It comes with an E mount adaptor, would I be able to use this with other Pentax K mount lenses too?

I currently have the kit lens that came with the camera and the Sony 16mm f 2.8 so using adaptors is new to me.

Turn on focus peaking which helps with manual focusing. Also you might need to turn on the release shutter w/o lens option.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

How do I get the 9-square grid lines to appear on the screen and viewfinder in my X100F? I have "grid 9" selected in the "framing guideline" menu but it simply won't appear. There was a level function on my Sony that was useful too.

Also I bought a polarizer and so far I've learned an important lesson that many office building windows are themselves polarized.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

qirex posted:

How do I get the 9-square grid lines to appear on the screen and viewfinder in my X100F? I have "grid 9" selected in the "framing guideline" menu but it simply won't appear. There was a level function on my Sony that was useful too.

Also I bought a polarizer and so far I've learned an important lesson that many office building windows are themselves polarized.

You have to go into the menu and tell it to display the framing guide. It's under "disp custom setting" in the screen set up menu. You have to independently set EVF/OVF btw.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

My A7iii is on board for delivery :woop:

E: My A7iii is here :woop:

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 17, 2018

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Anybody been following these reports of x-t2 4.0 bugs? They've just released a new 4.01 update which is effectively a rollback to the previous firmware.

Great Enoch fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 17, 2018

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Great Enoch posted:

Anybody been following these reports of x-t2 4.0 bugs? They've just released a new 40.01 update which is effectively a rollback to the previous firmware.

Oh that sucks. :(

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I still think Fuji do great things in terms of both lenses and bodies, but a growing number of folks are starting to call Fuji out for effectively releasing new cameras with beta software that get completed 6-12 months later with "kaizen" updates that should have been in the camera to begin with.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bobfather posted:

I still think Fuji do great things in terms of both lenses and bodies, but a growing number of folks are starting to call Fuji out for effectively releasing new cameras with beta software that get completed 6-12 months later with "kaizen" updates that should have been in the camera to begin with.

Counterpoint: people like me who buy them around a year after they come out get full benefits! :chord:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A Fuji body will 2 updates usually have a lot more customization options than competitions.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone here experienced 4.0 bugs on the X-T2? I don’t really want to lose the new features but will if there is some bad poo poo that will pop up unexpectedly at the worst time.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I noticed the screen flicker issue when holding the shutter button down half way but it's pretty minimal. I also might have noticed slightly slower AF performance but it could just be my imagination.

The other major bug about RAWs not being converted properly seems rather minor as well. I have not encountered any lockups.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I was just out shooting on my daily hike and it was all done in jpeg (acros) and didn't notice any issues from jpeg rendering. Nor did I notice anything else out of the ordinary.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

8th-snype posted:

You have to go into the menu and tell it to display the framing guide. It's under "disp custom setting" in the screen set up menu. You have to independently set EVF/OVF btw.

Aaaand now there's too much crap on my screen. This will be a long, boring process to figure out exactly what I need. I think I'll go minimal on the viewfinder and spam the screen and see how that works.

My trip report so far is I love the thing, I miss how much wider my RX100 II was at 28mm more than being able to zoom and I definitely notice focus hunting more than I did on it but the pictures are so much better, especially of people. This thing does great fleshtones and it's so fast to use, I think I'm a convert. Now I just need to keep myself from buying the 28mm converter until I'm past the "getting used to it" phase.

If I'm honest I'm still getting used to being "camera on a strap" guy. There's a million tourist here walking around here with giant SLRs so it shouldn't bug me but it still does a little. My favorite accessory is this DSPTCH wrist strap, it's a little hard to take off if your hands aren't tiny but that means it's basically impossible for me to drop it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That's the thing about the X100 line. On paper it doesn't make sense - there are plenty other cameras that are smaller and more versatile.

And then you use an X100. It makes the activity of photography itself fun instead of just being a dead cold tool to get good pictures.

qirex here's a tip in case you haven't been doing it: shoot in RAW+JPEG. Then review a pic that you liked, and press Q. You'll be able to change everything from film simulation to highlights and shadows and ISO. You can do most if not all of your post processing right there on the camera while you sit in the train. Then wirelessly send the finished picture to your phone. The end results are usually so good you may not need to ever touch that RAW file again.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

rio posted:

Has anyone here experienced 4.0 bugs on the X-T2? I don’t really want to lose the new features but will if there is some bad poo poo that will pop up unexpectedly at the worst time.

I had mine hard lock. had to yank the battery and let it sit for a while. then it started back up happy as a clam but all my settings and customizations and poo poo were gone 🙃

it's been fine since then but i'll still probably do the downgrade. a few days of farting around with 120fps video was fine for the novelty and i'd rather not have to set up all my poo poo again.

also it's worth noting that unless i'm misreading things, the jpeg conversion bugs are only if you're converting a pre-4.0 RAW on 4.0. if everything is post-4.0 you're fine there.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Twenty-Seven posted:

also it's worth noting that unless i'm misreading things, the jpeg conversion bugs are only if you're converting a pre-4.0 RAW on 4.0. if everything is post-4.0 you're fine there.

Ah this makes more sense. I'll continue to risk it because I am lazy.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
my photography will never recover from not being able to remember what my custom settings 5-7 were

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do new Fuji bodies let you rename custom settings? I can never remember what I set pass 1 and 2.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
the x-t2 does, but i don’t

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Animal posted:

That's the thing about the X100 line. On paper it doesn't make sense - there are plenty other cameras that are smaller and more versatile.

And then you use an X100. It makes the activity of photography itself fun instead of just being a dead cold tool to get good pictures.

qirex here's a tip in case you haven't been doing it: shoot in RAW+JPEG. Then review a pic that you liked, and press Q. You'll be able to change everything from film simulation to highlights and shadows and ISO. You can do most if not all of your post processing right there on the camera while you sit in the train. Then wirelessly send the finished picture to your phone. The end results are usually so good you may not need to ever touch that RAW file again.

This!! Exactly this!!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I only wish the camera would let you crop but I suppose if you are sending it to your phone, you can crop it there instead.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

polyester concept posted:

I only wish the camera would let you crop but I suppose if you are sending it to your phone, you can crop it there instead.

It does let you crop, but only in the original aspect ratio. Its best to do it on your phone.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Does anyone here use the WiFi import to smartphone on an Olympus regularly? I’m on a trip at the moment and using it, and I can’t figure out why sometimes it adds imported photos to an OLYMPUS album, and sometimes it doesn’t.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Helicity posted:

It's not like they're asking for the best UV filter to protect the lens. They "would love" a hard leather case. Who are we to deny love?

I don't know anything about these but multiple blogs/forums seem to mention them frequently, so if you get one report back on how awesome/lovely it is!

https://www.kaza-deluxe.com/category.php?id=68
https://www.amazon.com/Gariz-XS-CHXT2BK-Genuine-Leather-Fujifilm/dp/B01M3NOAAM
Thanks for this, I ordered the kaza combo kit. Really excited. My mom recently gave me my late grandfather's camera, it has a similar leather case setup and it looks amazing. I should really post pics of it here.

Besides the looks and protection factors I think having the brown leather case on it will help disarm people a bit when I'm taking portraits. I couldn't afford the silver X-T2 and the black one is still a bit menacing looking if less so than an SLR. Plus I worry about having it hanging off my belt as it is large shiny and black and I live in the US where everyone is jittery about guns.

Speaking of which many thanks to whoever here recommended the peak design clip system, it rules. God I need to stop browsing this forum I am like $1600 lighter now lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Does anyone here use the WiFi import to smartphone on an Olympus regularly? I’m on a trip at the moment and using it, and I can’t figure out why sometimes it adds imported photos to an OLYMPUS album, and sometimes it doesn’t.

If you're on android you may want to make sure the folder can sync to google photos. The app is pretty hit and miss with me too though.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Speaking of which many thanks to whoever here recommended the peak design clip system, it rules. God I need to stop browsing this forum I am like $1600 lighter now lmao

Yeah ever since I discovered photography and then this subforum my money doesn't last long.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've had my 4.00 X-T2 lock up once and I had to pull the battery. Fortunately I didn't lose any custom settings for whatever reason.

I don't know about flickering screens per se, but another thing I'll call out about my 18-55 is that when I have it on the body in aperture-priority mode (which is practically always) and switch on/wake up the camera, the iris starts stopping up and down for no reason, and the other exposure setting preview functions don't keep up, so the scene tics down darker and darker, then brighter and brighter, for a second or so until everything evens out. There's no effect to be seen in the photos taken while this little seizure is happening, but still kind of weird. And this has nothing to do with the 4.00 FW update.

Also, I was getting tired of the weird 'soft spot' in the middle of the left half of most photos taken with my 18-55, and there have always been pieces of crud visible on the interior elements, so I 'took advantage of the premium warranty' I bought along with the kit and sent it in. A month or so later it comes back with the following service report:

Replaced 3rd and 5th element groups.
Cleaned.

Sure enough all the dust particles and haze are gone from the inside. Great. But now there's a glassy-sounding clicking as you rack the zoom. And the optical performance? The soft spot has shifted to the left edge, but most of the image actually gets *softer* as stopped down past f/4. It reminds me of the time I installed a 4x5 lens in a shutter that was the wrong width, or the time I reassembled an old LOMO triplet with the middle element backwards. Wide open performance at 18mm is improved, though. :confused:

Moral of the story? I was right when I initially posed about the issues with this zoom; sending it back for service probably wasn't going to net me anything better. I guess I'll try sending off again, though. I do want that stabilized zoom for video. If this time doesn't do the trick, maybe I'll just get the XC 16-50. It lacks the metal construction and speed of the 18-55, but reportedly has more consistent performance sample-to-sample, and performance akin to the Sony E 16-50, which was a decent lens in my experience.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Honestly the X-T2 is just duplicating things so why not go medium format GFX 50S? :)

Yes. Medium format is the best choice for scenic wide-angle stuff, obvs :v:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

If you're on android you may want to make sure the folder can sync to google photos. The app is pretty hit and miss with me too though.

On IOS, but thanks. I think I have figured it out. If you open a photo in the app and then hit "import" then it won't add it to an album on your phone. If you select from the grid view then import, then it will. At least, this is the behaviour on a few test imports.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

On IOS, but thanks. I think I have figured it out. If you open a photo in the app and then hit "import" then it won't add it to an album on your phone. If you select from the grid view then import, then it will. At least, this is the behaviour on a few test imports.

Yeah the app is really weird at times. I just fiddled with it on my end and it did the same thing.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’ve had that lockup on earlier firmwares too so I wonder if that is a bug that has passed through firmwares and is not exclusive to 4.00. I hope they can work that out.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I'm a big fan of Fuji mirrorless; currently own a X-T10 with the 18-55mm and love it for travel but find that I don't bring it with me for street photography as much (NYC) because of its size. I used to have a X100S and loved the form factor so thinking about picking up a X100F instead. Curious though- how does it perform for travel photography and landscapes? I've been traveling a lot lately so if it isn't worthwhile for that, then I guess I might be better off just grabbing a prime or pancake for the X-T10?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

I'm a big fan of Fuji mirrorless; currently own a X-T10 with the 18-55mm and love it for travel but find that I don't bring it with me for street photography as much (NYC) because of its size. I used to have a X100S and loved the form factor so thinking about picking up a X100F instead. Curious though- how does it perform for travel photography and landscapes? I've been traveling a lot lately so if it isn't worthwhile for that, then I guess I might be better off just grabbing a prime or pancake for the X-T10?

Every mirrorless body is going to be great for travel simply by being a ton smaller and lighter than equivalent DSLRs. Landscapes aren't really down to body so much as knowing how to frame landscape shots, and maybe having a good tripod with you. Landscapes are much more than "get wide angle lens, shoot the pretty view", and some people actually shoot them on the longer end than the wider.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

UncleGuito posted:

It depends on how good you are at composing with that focal length. I have taken an X100T and nothing else on many trips and walked away with beautiful landscapes. The only times I have missed other lengths have been inside cathedrals and for distant landscapes where a telephoto would have worked great for some compression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yes and while the 18-55 can provide serviceable tele-landscapes and hits the mark for normal and moderate wide (so basically 90% of outdoor landscape focal length applications), 18mm is still a little narrow for tight interiors.