Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
How likely do you think there will be an x200 or upgrade of that camera released soon?

Im interested in getting one but the manual zoom thing has me wanting to wait. I have a d90 to tide me over but I like street photography and I'm itching for a less offensive camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

keyframe posted:

There is still 3-4 weeks waiting list for the x100 everywhere, they cant make the things fast enough. They are not going to release a x200 anytime soon.

The "manual zoom thing" (assuming you mean manual focus, x100 has no zoom) is not a problem. Aside from the fact that it is easily fixable with a fw update this is not a rangefinder.

I shoot manual %100 of the time with the x100 and have never had a problem. It is very easy to use the aflock button to autofocus when you want to or to set a manual focus distance and then walk around and shoot in manual.

Sorry was a bit buzzed when writing that I did mean focus. Ill have to check one out when theyre more available. I guess my thought was that they'd think about one at another price point like 500-1k more that even more so targets the leica crowd

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I picked up my X100 today, I seemed to have found the last one in the Twin Cities. One issue I have (maybe its just with mine) but if I'm any closer than 2.5/3ft away I have to go into macro mode. This isnt normal is it? It's pretty frustrating if I'm remotely close to my subject because then it goes into the EVF mode only.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Mest0r posted:

Yeah it is, I think 80cm is the cutoff where the OVF won't autofocus. I think it's the case because the parallax error would be so large that the OVF won't accurately represent the picture at all.

I suppose that makes sense, guess I'll just have to crop more often.

BTW this afternoon Amazon.com didn't have any but I checked now and it looks like 6 are in stock, drat I paid taxes. At least I got to help a local camera shop :unsmith:.

Are the lens hoods at a price they were meant to be or are they gouging right now?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Pockyless posted:

If you switch to MF and then flip the switch to go into the EVF, you can hit the AF-L button to focus without going into macromode. I do this 95% of the time when I shoot that close.

Yeah this seems to be the much better alternative. Used it all day yesterday and the only complaint I really have is how slow it is, it takes like 3 mins to get a portrait shot of an animal you cant keep still. I suppose I could have set to MF and just gotten in range but it's quite a change from my D90. Overall I loving love it though, the iso performance, the lens sharpness, and just being able to carry it around without having it being intrusive is fantastic.

mattfl
Is that an aluminum one or is it just plastic?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I have a couple used Tamron lenses I bought, one off ebay the other used. It turns out they're both grey market lenses and wont work on my Z6ii. Have an of you had luck tricking the tap-in console to update a grey market lens? Can I use a VPN to trick it into thinking I'm in some other nation and have it update or should I just sell them with my D810 and warn the buyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

powderific posted:

Nikon doesn’t require the same region; is it an issue that they need firmware updates and Tamron won’t do it cause they’re grey market?

Correct, they worked fine on my D810 but when trying to adapt them onto my mirrorless they're unusable. The models said they should work when they get an update but that's where the issue is. The Tamron 70-200 G2 had the same behavior before the firmware update and worked perfectly after (that was a non grey market one).

I tried shipping one in to get updated since it was not compatible with the tap in console and they denied it for being grey market. I looked up the Serial of my 150-600 and it said "theres an error with your serial number call 1800-whatever option 1" on their site. I assume thats also grey market.