Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

All this talk is seriously making me reconsider bringing my DSLR on my upcoming extended trip through India/SE Asia...though as much as I would like it, not having a telephoto lens probably means that it cannot be a replacement, and the lack of a viewfinder on the NEX kinda kills me; though it would be nice to be able to use my LTM lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

It has been a while since I really read any post in this thread but I don't remember reading about the NEX focus peaking which seems like a pretty elegant solution until there is a viewfinder. Combined with a viewfinder this will be badass

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/06/sony-firmware-update-brings-peaking-to-nex-3-and-nex-5

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

I just had all my gear stolen and am seriously considering the nex-7 as my primary camera and a cheap dslr for macro. Unfortunately, I am planning a lengthy trip overseas beginning Oct.1 and don't think the timing will work. I have been refreshing for a release date like an idiot.

I might just get a nex-5 and some lenses and wait...or an x100

Also leaf shutter :gizz:

Studebaker Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 9, 2011

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

something something something

Studebaker Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 26, 2011

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Excited for a possible alternative to the MP-E 65mm since mine was stolen: http://www.yasuhara.co.jp/nanoha/index-e.html

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

It works fine in 3.5, just make sure you are updated

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

keyframe posted:

Yea it is a ZE 50mm. It is smaller than the nex kitlens though, hardly anything big.

http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/products/slr/planart1450.function.html

Afaik there is no canon-next adapter with aperture control. I know that conrus is working on one that should be out soon.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Its out and it cost 400 bucks.
Thanks- I have limited internet access for several months. Sucks that it is so expensive, was hoping it would be much less than that.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

HPL posted:

This thread is now officially a dance party:

http://www.nexproshop.com/
Be still my heart!

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

If you have any other LTM or M mount lenses, the voigtlander 12mm is pretty great for UWA.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Fuji press release for their lens roadmap, almost makes me want to ditch my NEX-5N (which I really love).

http://www.fujirumors.com/full-fuji-lens-roadmap-and-press-release/

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Empty Pockets posted:

Can anyone verify whether or not there is a protective film on the NEX 7 screen? I just noticed a scratch, but now that I'm looking at it I can see a very thin border around the frame for the screen. I've also noticed that it sort of feels like plastic to the touch. However, I haven't been able to peel up any of the corners (I'm afraid to use much effort, just in case it's not a removable sheet.)

I hope there is one on my 5n because it is gross and needs to be replaced

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Doubt this will happen anytime soon but goddamn it would be cool
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-nex-goes-full-frame/

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

HPL posted:

For the record, I'm not against a FF NEX, it's just that I don't see the business sense in it.

Really I just want to use my rangefinder lenses as GOD INTENDED THEM TO BE.

But this hybrid E/A mount with PDAF could be cool, or just as easily be fever dreams.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

There is a $50 rebate on the much loved sigma 30mm lens this week as well as some other EVIL deals http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/the-full-mirrorless-black-firday-deals-roundup/

Think I will finally pull the trigger at this price, even though I am still considering moving from Sony to Fuji...

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

Yeah, not sure if it was a one-day sale, a pricing error, or what.

Thin the latter as it was out of stock and then the price went back up :(

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Played with the XE-1 and OM-D today, no NEX-6 in stock. I was disappointed by the AF speed and EVF lag with the XE-1- I really wanted to love that camera, as I dig the aesthetics and think the lens selection is great.

I was really surprised by the OM-D with the 17mm. Great performance, nice shots and man is it fast. Starting to wonder how much I would miss APS-C if I were to make the change. Realistically, I just stick with my NEX-5n for another year to see what comes down the pike.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

It was a F1.8 lens, thought it was 17mm but I could be mis-remembering, but definitely not 2.8...

Radbot posted:

Why would you ditch a 5N to go with an OM-D? The lens selection?

I won't, but it made me seriously consider it. Weather sealed, IBIS, lens selection, fast focus, nice evf- if it had an APS-C it would probably be the perfect camera. I just made some large prints from my NEX which came out fantastic.

I love my NEX, especially with legacy glass but have a strong desire for an EVF (yes I could get the add-on) and the ability to use OCF. Now with the rumors of a FF nex in the future, I will definitely save my funds. Also, according to the oly rep, the OM-D will be refreshed in the near future as a prosumer grade camera (not sure what that means spec wise).

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

X-Pro 2 rumor http://www.fujirumors.com/x-pro1-replacement-with-dual-processor-chip

Was strongly considering a x100s but I might hold off for this.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A goddamn articulating LCD would be nice :colbert:

This, and a lag free evf. That's all I want.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Wow. I am seriously considering this, even though I just spent all my free money on a new bass. I've been trying to hold out until the XP2 comes out and am still worried that I am going to miss the tiltable screen of my NEX (love shooting waist-level style)...decisions, decisions...

Also the $180 in tax sucks, stupid me moving to WA

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

krooj posted:

Finally getting to try a C-Biogon 35mm ZM lens I've had adapted to my X-Pro1 on an M9. Holy crap - the combination has really nice contrast and colour pop. The M9 seems pretty limited when you compare it against something like the X-Pro1, but man, the colour out of that camera...

I love my c-biogon 2.8 on my nex, but am considering selling it (along with all my NEX gear and adapted lenses, and my Bessa R2A) to fund a fuji switch.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Count me in, xt-1, 35mm, 27mm, 18-55 and a helicoid m->x adapter on their way...

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

xenilk posted:

Same, other than irrelevant cosmetic stuff (relativly cheap plastic sd card cover door for example)... everything else is great.

I continually smile whenever I hold/look at/use mine, it is very much a joy to use. It is everything I have ever wanted in a mirrorless camera since their introduction (well, save for FF which I don't miss because fuji's glass kicks rear end). It is a great camera in the same way my mamiya 6 is, just so drat fun.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

ilovemyducks posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up my first mirrorless camera. I've been following this thread for awhile now, but I'm still unsure what the best setup is for me. I'll mostly be doing street photography and the ocassional landscapes. I'm fine spending up to $2k (although I'm sure I'd be fine with a cheaper setup). Should I get one of the X100 cameras or a Fuji body + the 23mm? Or the Sony A7 line + 35mm? It seems the Olympus OM-D EM-1 is a good choice if I want to do micro 4/3s. I'm also slightly concerned about only having a single prime lens for an upcoming Asia trip. What would you guys do?

I'm considering selling some M mount primes (voigt 12mm, zeiss 35mm f2.8, voigt 50 1.4, contax 90mm). I spent a year in India/SEA with those lenses and my nex kit zoom and a raynox close up lens (selling as well). If you don't mind manual lenses, you can put together an extremely light travel kit.

I would recommend having some sort of of ultra-wide lens and at least a close-up attachment if not a real macro lens. The current fuji kit lens is awesome for what it is. Right now I am very happy with my XT-1 and kit/28/35 but will probably pick up either the zeiss 1:1 macro or the 50-140, though I am tempted by the current 10-24 sale (and will probably buy once I sell my primes/bessa). I think the 21mm is a fantastic lens and would love to own it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Does anyone have one of those M-whatever (Fuji, Oly, Sony) helicoid adapters? I remember the Hawks one coming out, I see now there are some generic imitators at about 1/5th the price.

I do- I have a hawk's E mount (that I need to sell if anyone wants) and a generic Fuji mount. The generic performs exactly as well, almost impossible to tell the difference.