Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I am extremely excited for the Fuji 33mm F1.4 LM WR R coming out this month. To me this is sort of an end-game lens. I love shooting in rain, snow and other weather, and I travel to places where dust and smog is a concern. Having weather sealing and fast quiet focusing is going to be the thing that gets me to jump in when the 35mm F1.4 could not entice me enough. Anyone else looking at this or other lenses coming in 2021?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I watched the DPR video on the 33/1.4 WR and it looks like a great lens, but not so great that it would replace my trusty 35/2 WR. I await the verdict on the 23/1.4 WR, because I want a prime in that focal length and at the very least hope that the new version will drive down prices on the original 23/1.4.

I get you. For me, the three things I love about photography are inclement weather (rain etc.), lower light and black and white. It's almost like the lens was made specifically for me.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

These 'official' x100VI leaks are expected but disappointing. Made in china, heavier, only one SD card slot, IBIS for some reason when no one uses it for video, not fully weather sealed, EVF is unchanged, but has the new sensor and AI algorithms for focusing. There doesn't appear to be any new button functionality/buttons added or a d-pad type addition. And it's at least 1700 starting price. Waiting for the XT6 it is.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

harperdc posted:

Did the X100s ever have two card slots? Thought that wasn’t a feature there.

X-T5 just came out a year or so ago, so probably waiting a while for the T6. I’m trying to be patient until the announcements come before deciding what to move up to.

It wasn't ever a feature, which is why a lot of people were hoping it would be an addition rather than a single UHS-I. There were also rumors that Fujifilm was considering some amount of internal storage and they abandoned that as well. Oh and it seems like the battery enhancements will mostly come from the software side/processor and it won't feature a larger battery. It's already perilously close to weighing too much, and with IBIS it's not a light camera anymore on balance.

The xPro4 at this point will likely end up being 2000 given a combination of features from existing cameras into the traditional form factor of the line.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 7, 2024

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

harperdc posted:

Yeah that feels like it’s on them. Same with the battery, too. Those are two big changes that don’t feel like they would fundamentally make the next one cheaper to build or sell more units. Dual card feels like a pro feature Fuji reserves for higher end bodies.

For whatever reason, people love IBIS even if they don’t need it. Considering this has to pair with one lens, it should be solid. Hope it also means that stabilizer unit can come to other smaller bodies as well.

I don't know about that. Dual SD cards or some cheap internal memory is a nothingburger for price and the fact that this product is now made in China on the cheap means they can add features and provide value to consumers. Slapping the internals of other existing cameras into this body, lowering production and shipment costs and charging 300 more feels not great.

For me personally I really wanted the camera to be easier to navigate via enhanced buttons, a dpad in particular. I am also still flabbergasted that it's apparently not fully weather resistant and will require 75-200 worth of accessories.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

qirex posted:

The X100 has always been the internals from one of their other cameras slapped into a fixed lens body. The body and lens are the only unique parts. I'd imagine they're moving production to China because they literally can't make enough X100Vs right now and their whole production line is super backed up while they have a rare retail hit in the shrinking world of dedicated cameras. This was probably also something planned years ago and not some cynical move to take advantage of gullible tiktokers, creating a new production line is incredibly difficult. If you're worried about it wait a few months for reliability info.

Camera companies are never going to make your perfect camera, either buy the thing or don't but maybe don't take it so personally. It is very clearly not a "pro" model for Fujifilm and those are the bodies that get more buttons, bigger battery and and dual card slots [which there is absolutely not room for in the X100, or a bigger battery]. If it's not worth its price, prices will fall over time. I'm excited about stabilization but not so much that if I can't get a preorder at my current shop I'm going to be broken up about it or pay over retail.

e: this thing is pretty much an exact copy of the fuji hood and filter adapter and is $15. Works great.

please don't "u mad" me in 2024, I just like talking about cameras, it's not that serious.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Spring and Summer will have 2 body announcements, which is exciting. One will be photo-centric and one will be hybrid.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

qirex posted:

As much as he makes me roll my eyes I have to respect his commitment to the bit.

*6000 wires stick out of my head* "The future.. is now.. BEEP BOOP release your inhibitions..feel the rain on your skin" *shows a blurry photo of my cat*

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I was less than quietly rooting for a 26mp stacked sensor.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Preorders are 50x bigger for the x100vi than the Sony A7CII and Sony A7CR combined. Only 14k units are being made each month (edit- this might be a misreading, it might be "per shipment" and the next shipment is April which would mean 14k units every ~2 months) so you're looking at maybe mid-to-late Summer if those haven't already filled up too. I have a suspicion that by the end of this week we're well into the Fall, but that's a guess based on WEX and BH interviews.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 22, 2024

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no reason at all for me to buy one but I still want to. Gotta ignore it.

I was thinking a X-T6 would probably be far off, looked it up and the 4 came out 2020, 5 in 2022 so a 6 wouldn't be crazy. I suppose they might've decided to focus on the 100VI though and a X-T6 is more likely next year.

If you didn't place an order yet, you're in luck! You'll never get it anyway!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

The XT-5 was super late in 2022 though, November. Month wise the gap between 4 and 5 was just shy of 3 years, so think 2025 is far more likely.
Plus it looks like all production capabilities will just be trying to keep pace with X100VI orders.

What new innovations can the xt6 have? The XT5 has the xprocessor5 and the 40.2 MP sensor. It has the advancements to video and they don't want to go above and beyond the XH series. It's already weathersealed with a dual card, large battery and everything else. I think these questions are why it's an early 2026 camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

runawayturtles posted:

Fuji is releasing a new kit lens soon to make better use of 40mp, right? Is anyone waiting to get an X-T5 with that instead of the 18-55 or 16-80?

I've heard people say it's a wild decision to release a new kit lens. If the old kit lens were released second, people would say it was a big upgrade.

In terms of functionality, the old kit lens was so useful for making video for normal people and families in particular. The new lens is less useful for photography and video for me personally. I'd end up selling it and getting a nice third party lens whereas the old kit lens found room in my bag for some time.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 9, 2024