Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Fuji has been fixing them for free but I don't know where they stand if you encounter sticky blades out of warranty. I'm out of warranty in ~22 days. Mine is a 12A0-something and the only problem I've encountered is the little screen that slides up in the viewfinder that the EVF gets projected onto got stuck halfway up last Sunday. A good smack on top of the camera fixed it and it hasn't reoccurred since.

I'd buy a new one in-warranty personally. If used, I'd ask to check the serials to see if there are any 11's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Looks like a Gordy's. Excellent taste in wrist straps, krack.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Gordy's are rad as gently caress. Here's my black leather, red string strap with Russet wrist pad on my X100:

A Weapon Against Taste [x100] by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

The whole shebang cost me $32 and I feel like I stole his car because it's worth twice that much to me. Like RustedChrome mentioned, he custom makes them when you order it and it definitely feels like it will be around forever. The X100 isn't a super grippy camera to begin with (the hood helps) so it's nice insurance on hot summer days when my hands are sweaty. I keep the Gordy's mounted to a small carabiner on the outside of my daily carry bag when not in use.

(I should have gone up a size and I've since corrected how it is mounted to the lug)

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
I'd buy a digital camera where the image didn't pass through a CFA or an AA filter but not for that much.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Fiannaiocht posted:

I'm very strongly thinking of buying an X100. Is it best to buy it new in case I have issues with the AF (I've had weird dreams about this) as well as sticky blades?

Warranty is non-transferable in the US, buy it new. Inspect the serials if you can. I wouldn't worry about sticky aperture diaphragm, I'm just advocating prudence. You'll be covered for a year and from what I've read they'll send you a box, fix it, and mail it back to you within a few days.

My warranty expires in thirteen days and I'm at roughly 3500 shutter actuations with no problems, if it helps.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
And in Bizarro Fuji world, they've just announced the WCL-X100 conversion lens that fits over your 35mm lens and changes it to a 28mm focal length. New X100 firmware update to change the frame lines and everything. And in uncharacteristic X100 fashion, it still works with your hood. I'm not sure who needed this or saw this coming but it's cool they're still supporting the camera.

Bizarro!

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/lens/conversionlens/x100wideconversionlens/

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
To backup HPL, the X100 pokes around on the card every startup and the smaller capacity of the card, the faster this operation is. I use 16 GB 45M/s Sandisks that are carryovers from my Rebel but if I were buying new I'd get faster 8's.

With these smaller cameras it's hard to fill cards between battery swaps anyways, so if I've got a camera (always), I've got a bag.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Suicide Watch posted:

how is the manual focus for it? Does it actually optical focus or is it digitally controlled focus?

I'm pretty sure it just slips over the existing lens so focusing characteristics remain unchanged. It's supposed to be a pretty nice piece of kit. I'm hoping for a 2x adapter too.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

krackmonkey posted:

Canon obviously still only views Nikon as their competition. That arrogance will likely fail them in this particular arena. Too bad, there were a lot of ways they could have gone, this is barely even trying. Maybe next time.

It is so disappointing to see them practically admit that they intentionally crippled it by omitting a viewfinder from it to protect the Rebel line. Not that it would do anything with all the touchscreen nonsense.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Brief Fuji X-E1 hands on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo97siRDKDw

There will apparently be an English press release/announcement tonight but until then there are a few bits of interest:

Auto ISO is 400-6400 (the X100 and X-Pro 1 only goes up to 3200 at the moment)
0.05 seconds shutter lag
Q button Quick menu settings
Weighs 350g (X-Pro 1 is 450g, X100 is 445g)
Creative shooting functions include multiple exposure and panorama mode (X100 can't do multiple exposures, not sure if the X-Pro 1 can)
Diopter adjustment (present on X100, missing on the X-Pro 1)
Same back LCD as the X100 but with the already mentioned new 2.36 million-pixel electronic viewfinder as already mentioned. From the butchered translation of the Korean press release:

quote:

Natural, bright, easy-to-view viewfinder has a viewing angle of 25 °, allowing users to quickly and easily complete the composition viewfinder. The image on the organic EL panel through a unique lens structure (including two glass lenses and a double-sided aspherical lens) projection to the eyes of the photographer, to bring you high quality comparable to the optical viewfinder framing effect.

The new 18-55mm f/2.8-4 lens as shown in the video has a minimum aperture of f/22 and a .1s autofocus time with IS and 7 blades.

Anyways that's a brief X-E1 roundup of features that I noted. I wasn't that hot on the X-Pro 1 but I'm going to grab one of these for sure.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

FasterThanLight posted:

Do any of the current Fuji X cameras have anything like focus peaking and an electronic level overlay? Very tempted to sell my NEX-7 for an X-E1 now, but I think I'd miss those features.

The X100 and X-Pro 1 have electronic levels, the X-E1 will most likely have the same. No focus peaking but allegedly Fuji has made some progress towards improving manual focusing. I'm not one qualified to speak about manual focusing as I only use it for zone or hyper focal on the X100. As-is it would be frustrating to try and operate the camera like that but the latest firmware makes the autofocus pretty snappy.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

David Pratt posted:

I'm split between the X-E1 and the OM-D at the moment. You can get the OM-D with a nice wideangle zoom (9-18), the 20mm 1.7 pancake, the 45mm 1.8 and a tele-zoom (45-200) for about the same price as the X-E1 with the 18, 35 and 60.

So the OM-D setup would be more versatile, but on the other hand the X-E1 has a bigger sensor for dat bokeh and the 35mm lens is faster than the 20mm pancake...

I guess figure out which is more important. You could always rent an X-Pro 1 (post firmware 2.0 release) to get a sample of the files you'd be working with. I've never read much on the OM-D but every single X series camera has something that seems to piss off some people. The X100 is a magic box to me and it makes pictures so I'm simple-minded in my happiness. If you're a features and versatility oriented person I would definitely rent an X-Pro 1 for a weekend.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Any idea when the X-E1 is supposed to ship?

Based on what I suspect is extrapolation from Fuji's announce-to-ship of the X100, I've read November with cameras arriving in North America late December or January. Pure speculation.

Update: Amazon just sent me an e-mail about my preorder, delivery date of October 04-29th. We'll see.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 9, 2012

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

I'm just hoping Fuji sees this as legitimate competition for the X100 and keeps the updated firmware coming. Has anyone heard if X100 is getting the same type of update as they just announced for the X-Pro 1?

That would be nice. If you haven't seen the auto and manual focus improvements in action, scrub to 2:20 and 3:00 minutes in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PF4OMNQkmA

I wouldn't mind a fancy Q menu, 1:1 aspect and multiple exposures added either.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
http://www.optyczne.pl/5155-nowo%C5%9B%C4%87-Prototypowe_obiektywy_dla_systemu_Fujifilm_X.html

Photos of prototypes from Fuji's remaining 5 lenses from their XF mount roadmap:

XF 10–24 mm f/4 R LM OIS
XF 23 mm f/1.4 R
XF 27 mm f/2.8 R
XF 55–200 mm f/3.5–4.8 R LM OIS
XF 56 mm f/1.4 R

The 23 and 56 are larger than I would have thought but it isn't deal breaking.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

An X100 firmware update that allows infinity focus lock and improved AF performance, and a new conversion lens (50mm equivalent) are all I want for Christmas. It would be a shame if Fuji ignored the X100 to focus on the interchangeable lens products only.

Also the "Q" menu. The X10 just got it, my wishful theory is that Fuji is working on an X100 update that includes it and and adjusted framelines for a new conversion lens. I don't understand your infinity focus lock wish. I point the camera at the sky and initiate a back button autofocus and a minute focus turn to the left, what are you asking for?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

Most of my photography is severe weather related. It's sometimes a pain trying to focus while a tornado is on the ground, or focus on a distant light source for lightning shots in a pitch black corn field with no distant light sources. Maybe I just don't understand how to focus with it appropriately.

edit: it doesn't help that I really dislike the manual focus on the X100. I wish that were a lot more responsive.

VVVV I did an A/T thread 2 years ago (?), but I made my avatar. It's my picture of the 5/21/11 Ada, OK tornado.

Experiment: Take your X100 and a flashlight into a dark closet. Set your X100 to manual focus and use the DISP/Back button to set the LCD to Custom so the distance gauge shows up. Shine the flashlight directly into the lens and try manually focusing to infinity, it should be noticeably faster. Bringing a flashlight with you might make your cornfield adventures more tolerable.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Digital Jesus posted:

Well now it just can't get here soon enough :)

Reading the manual and updating the firmware will be the first things I do.

Get two extra batteries too, they're small and cheap and having plenty of batteries around will increase your enjoyment because the gauge is either "full and good to go" or "nearly depleted", there isn't a middle ground. And the charger is odd, a green light means the battery is charging and it is done when the light goes off.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Digital Jesus posted:

Thanks, will do.

Also veering off topic a moment, I love your work :swoon: I created my Flickr account just to stalk you check out your stuff.

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

keyframe posted:

Hey apparently Fuji X-E1 is available now, did any of you guys get one yet?

They're available in some Asian markets with the 35 1.4 but I don't think the 18-55 kit is shipping yet. I've been watching this guy put samples up on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25805910@N05/sets/72157631699329942/?page=2 and it looks like a pretty impressive little lens. I had canceled my preorder to buy some time to figure out whether I was going to go X-Pro 1 + 35 or X-E1 + 18-55 and I still haven't decided.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

David Pratt posted:

I think I'm going to go with the zoom, since there'll be plenty of existing X-Pro owners to sell it to later when the wide zoom and 23mm (35 efl) f1.4 come out.

That's a smart plan considering the kit lens is supposed to be ~$700 by itself and ~$400 bundled with the X-E1. My problem is that the pros and cons of each sort of cancel each other out so I'm left with muddling through my "needs" to figure out which to get. The X100 has spoiled me, it is small and light and it removes all choice regarding focal length. What I can't decide on is whether I want to recreate that experience by coupling a body with a single, fixed lens or if I want to supplement with a zoom and adapted lenses.

Dorkroomer krackmonkey, ever the gentleman, mailed me some X-Pro accessories when he moved to the OM-D and it included a Canon FD mount adapter. I don't have any FD lenses but I do have some nice EF lenses that are sitting unused in a drawer so the smart thing to do would be to get some FD lenses and use the X-E1 as an adapted lens camera with the kit zoom thrown in for future X mount goodness.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
I've seen something like this before but it wasn't as thorough. Somebody stuck his iPhone up to the X-E1's EVF and recorded video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMnOuH64n24

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

poopinmymouth posted:

Ufff, close call. I got one of the very first X100s, from before the earthquake, so it is getting old, totally out of warranty, and I bought it from NZ but live in Iceland anyway. The viewfinder shutter just stopped working for no good reason. No drops, nothing crazy happened at all to explain it. When the EVF came on, I got a weird ghosting where anything bright would show through since the shutter didn´t come up. I am one week away from a trip to Italy, so no way I am going to try to get it repaired before then.

Then, I had it on the table to take photos of thanksgiving dinner, and my dog managed to pull it off the table with his tail tangled in the strap (he was on my lap). It was in the leather case, and took a tumble on the floor. Luckily the leather case seems to offer a ton of protection, but I picked it up immediately to make sure it still worked. Lo and behold, the shutter is unstuck now and all works perfectly. Thanks doggy! Not sure I would have had the guts to drop it myself.

I had the EVF shutter stick halfway up on me, it was super discombobulating to look through. Pointed the camera straight down and with the EVF engaged gave it a good smack with the palm of my hand on the top baseplate and the shutter slid up. Only happened once and has worked fine since April. I've since made an effort to only hold the X100 upright when engaging the EVF because it was pointed down when it happened.

I've read about one other EVF sticking and he fixed his the same way and some other guy claimed his sticky aperture went away when he accidentally dropped his X100 on carpet but I don't know about that. My X100 was manufactured one month post-tsunami on 4/28/11 and has only ever had that EVF shutter thing.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Mest0r posted:

Apparently Amazon is having a deal where if you buy an X-Pro1 with either the 35mm or 18mm, there's an automatic $300 rebate at the time of purchase making the whole setup $1700.

I just took advantage of it after returning my Hasselblad outfit. :yaycloud:

It's a Fuji thing, they dropped the body by $300 and offer the $300 lens rebate so the X-Pro and X-E1 prices are within a few hundred bucks of each other, it's pretty smart. A Fujifilm North America guy posted an official announcement on his blog, the drop and rebate are good through February 5th.

I think the cheapest X-Pros are open box ones from Amazon for $1025 or warrantied grey markets from T-Dimension for $1105. Neither are eligible for the rebate so the price with lens evens out with Amazon, et al but anyone could shoot adapted on the cheap if need be.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Full frame is necessary because Sony just put out a full frame X100 and Fuji's worried it'll eat into their sales.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX1-Cybershot-Full-frame-Digital/dp/B0097CXFCC

I would think Leica should be sweating more than Fuji as full frame is pretty much a class distinction and I think Fuji learned a bit about what the average consumer can afford these days. The X100 sold somewhere north of 100,000 units but the X-Pro 1 price turned off a lot of people, I'm not sure being a full frame camera is going to justify the cost to anyone considering a Fuji. Anyone considering a Leica is going to be happy.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
4 megapickles buys me a little more wiggle room in cropping when I can't physically move closer with this here fixed lens camerabox. Where's my converter, Fuji? :mad:

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Full X100s spec sheet:

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/introducing-the-new-fujifilm-x100s-1/

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

Not regretting my decision to sell the X100 on ebay at all after reading that.

It looks like the exposure dial is still in a prime position to be accidentally bumped, though. What the hell, Fuji?

It is probably properly damped. I got a bag of #7 O-rings at Home Depot and have one wrapped around the compensation dial on my X100. It takes a concerted effort to move now. On my X-Pro 1 it is clicky and nice. I'm sure it is the same for the X-E1 and the X100s.

I am most surprised at it reusing the same back LCD. I wonder if fuji considers the X-Pro's screen to be a premium feature to be reserved for the Pro line or if there are distribution/power/processor speed considerations at work here. It's pretty impressive that fuji seems to be creating cameras built around user feedback though.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Fuji's press conference at CES 2013:

$1299 for the X100s
$599 for the X20
new 55-200 XF lens coming in April
Focus selector switch is now ordered as Manual, Continuous and Single on the side of the X100s
RAW button is now for the Q menu
130,000 X100 users worldwide
.08 second autofocus
.5 second startup with quick-start mode enabled
.01 second shutter lag
Same 9 blade leaf shutter lens
Same built in 3 stop ND filter

Video of split image focusing: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDk4NTU5MDg4.html

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Shmoogy posted:

Is there no release date for the x100s?

Internet says March, I haven't seen anything official.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
X100 video showing focus peaking, AF speed, Q menu, split image focusing, new focus point select method, and the new Auto ISO operation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tNlfFcgQ0

Maybe we'll get lucky and the new Auto ISO menu will trickle backwards through the series.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

negativeneil posted:

At this point the only thing I use my 7D for is when I travel. I bring a ultra wide, a fast 50mm, and a good all around 17-50 2.8. I'm so sick of lugging everything around.

I'm seriously considering selling all my gear for a x100s. Holy poo poo. The x100 was awesome enough, but I couldn't imagine using something with slow autofocus like my gf's s95.

What's the lens situation like? If I got the x100s, I'd be missing my 10-22 ultrawide. I'm thinking one of those 8mm fisheyes + some good software might fill the gap.

Watching that video of the autofocus and split detection has me very, very tempted.

You could also get an X-E1 with the 35mm 1.4 to cover your fast 50 and either spring for the upcoming XF 14mm ($900) or get an EOS adapter and just use your 10-22. I've mounted my Tokina 12-24 to my X-Pro 1 and it works as advertised (better than on my 7D even which misfocuses ths lens by several feet in any AF other than Center Point). The rub is that either you shoot wide open or have a Canon body around to set the aperture before you take the lens out shooting. There is also a 12-24 f/4 on the roadmap but who knows when that will be ready.

It's all rigmarole but really the X100 does one thing well and that is taking excellent 35 or 27mm photos and being with you because it is compact and you want to shoot with it. I've never had much luck with the built-in panoramic mode or stitching multiple exposures to fake a wider angle and it sounds like you need different focal lengths.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Platystemon posted:

I want an infrared EVIL. Converting DSLRs to infrared works, but the reflex mirror, focusing screen, pentaprism, and eyepiece are dead weight. Live view is great, but it’s not intended to be the primary mode of operation and the ergonomics suck. There’s also the issue of paying for the mirror &c. and then turning around and paying for a conversion.

Using a camera that’s designed with an electronic viewfinder in mind would be much more sensible. It’s unfortunate that the “infrared photography” and “EVIL” demographics don’t overlap so much. Even if they did, EVIL sales would have to go way up before it made economic sense for manufacturers to come out with an IR model. DSLR sales are just barely high enough that Canon comes out with an astro version (20Da and 60Da) once in a while.

e: ↓ I know I could get an IR conversion, but that’s an extra $250. That’s money I could spend on the new lenses I’d have to buy for it. I’m just bitter that I’d have to shell out as much for IR conversion as I would for the body itself. That said, if the EOS M didn’t suck I’d probably bite the bullet and pay to convert one.

No DSLR is ever going to come in an IR model because that would be dumb, but there’s some modicum of hope for a mirrorless camera (after all, Canon does make astro versions). I miss the film days when I didn’t have to have two cameras just to shoot infrared. ↓

Fuji's X series cameras have an IR filter so weak that you can slap a Hoya R72 filter on the lens and do infrared shots out of the box. It is there though so your exposures will take a little longer. You sound serious about it so there is probably a requirement I'm unaware of but in case you've never heard this, there you go.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

842 posted:

I'll correct myself, a poor mans rangefinder. I'm well aware of the differences but after seeing the improvements that happened with the x100s in manual focusing, it is so similar I don't think most users would care about the differences. I just looked up there was a 13 month difference in release dates for the x100 and the x pro 1, which is probably a good tell for when the next x pro series will be announced. I guess I'm buying an x pro 1. I wish one of the brick and mortar stores near me had a tester I could play with to feel comfortable about the focusing options. I hope the improvements in firmware make quickly focusing in low light an option. Anyone have one who can voice an opinion? I currently shoot on a D7000 with a 35mm f/1.8 which misses focus 25% of the time in my typical shoot environments if anyone could compare the two.

Well, what are you shooting and from how far away?

I wouldn't do any low light shooting with the 60mm as it is a macro lens and takes a while to go through the range. The 35mm is pretty decent but you're going to need some contrast on what you're shooting for it to lock. I was out on Saturday in broad daylight gathering texture source and there were a few times where the X-Pro 1 wouldn't focus (painted walls and a dumpster and the side of a Conex). Each instance was entirely my fault for shooting featureless objects with a contrast-detect camera like a hooplehead. I ended up cutting black squares off the roll of Gorilla tape I keep in my car to affix them to surfaces to clone out later.

We were due a firmware update to the X-Pro/X-E1 body and the 35mm earlier this week but that is on indefinite hold as Fuji is investigating this single line of pink or green dots showing up in the upper top left of photos taken between 27 and 35mm on the 18-55. Both the body and lens firmware update had autofocus updates in their changelist.

Note that none of this is me complaining. For anything I've ever asked of it, the X100 focuses like a champ. The X-Pro 1 still feels a little "off" to me in that there are occasionally low light situations where my brain says "the X100 would have focused" but that may be due to differences in focal lengths or I could be flat out wrong. Of the 368 photos I took the other day, one was backfocused and that was me not paying attention and another one was blurred for no discernible reason. I suspect I fired the shutter before the lens completed focus. Since I've shot nearly exclusively with the X system for over a year and a half, I'm pretty happy with contrast detect because when you see that green box you know you've got it right.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

842 posted:

Still considering buying a X Pro1 and with 4 days left to decide I was wondering if any X Pro1 owners could settle something I've read about the camera. I currently shoot a D7000 fully manual (besides auto focus) and use the AF-L/AE-L as my focus button rather than the 1/2 button press on the shutter button. I was trying to find out if it was possible to do this focus method on the X Pro1 and the only thing I found was from Ken Rockwell, who said its only possible in Manual Focus mode where the camera chooses the aperture, which defeats the purpose of shooting fully manual.

I read the camera's manual which says "If AE & AF ON WHEN PRESSING is selected, exposure and/or focus will lock while the AFL/AEL button is pressed." Since it doesn't say anything about focusing when the button is pressed I'm still not sure my current focus method is possible on the X Pro 1.

My X-Pro 1 is in the other room, but K-Rock is misinterpreted or incorrect, AFL/AEL initiates autofocus in Manual mode regardless of aperture or shutter priority or fully manual operation. If you keep the camera in Manual mode always it will behave exactly like the back button focusing you are used to. There is no other way to decouple the shutter button in other modes but I can't say I miss the option. In single shot mode the AFL-AEL button will lock exposure or autofocus or both as either a toggle or switch as you have it configured. I am not sure how Continuous works. The X100 works the same way now although in earlier firmware, back button focusing would occasionally achieve focus in low light situations where shutter button initiated focusing would fail.

I can't imagine a lot of X series users use back button focusing exclusively but I can't think of any reason why you couldn't.

Edit: No focus confirmation. I forgot you don't get a red or green box in Manual. If back button focusing is that important to you, consider an X-E1 instead as it is going to be a lot easier to see if the focus failed if you're looking through an EVF.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 30, 2013

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Aargh posted:

Good to hear, I'm going to upgrade mine tonight. I often think a lot of the whining on camera forums is over exaggerated. Wah why don't fuji update the firmware to give me a little feature, wah my lens is a little noisier.

You've gone out and bought a camera that is capable of producing some amazing shots. Fujifilm continue to develop improvements for it, What re you complaining about?

I don't know if I would call it noisier, it sounds different. The 35 is slightly slower and it is perceivable. The trade off is that it seems to hunt less in low light. It feels more "sure" in low light.

I've noticed it misfocus a few times on backlit things and in low light so look for that.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Mest0r posted:

Take a look here at these specials starting on Feb. 7th for Fuji X-Mount stuff:

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php?/topic/7501-fujifilm-x-camera-and-lens-specials-starting-feb-7/

It's essentially the same deal they had with the X-Pro1 (save $300 if you buy the body with a lens) but with the X-E1, or the X-Pro1 with zoom lens plus additional discounts if you but additional lenses at the same time.

There was an interview posted yesterday with Kayce Baker of Fujifilm NA where she said that they were selling more X-Pro 1 bodies than bodies with kits so I guess this is Fuji's response to that. I meant to cherry pick the salient info and post it here. The most interesting part was her claiming April/May for the 55-200. I don't know if that is North America or Japan with America following 3-4 months after.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

rio posted:

So I am actively looking for an X100 to buy asap now - I've lusted after this camera long enough. I was wondering if anyone had done any research into the sticky aperture issue, as I am seeing varying info. It looks like anything with 21 and later (first two serial digits) is fine; does that mean that I should be asking for receipts of purchase if I am buying earlier cameras so that if the issue does pop up I can send it to Fuji?

The warranty is non-transferable, buy earlier serials at your own risk. Supposedly Fuji will fix an out of warranty X100 but you have to be the registered owner with original receipt. I would guess that most of the used ones that would fail have done so already, but I would still shoot for a 21 (ask for a photo of the bottom of the camera). If you can't do that, get an exif-intact jpeg, the manufacture date is embedded in the Maker Notes section.

Mine looks like: FPX 20854034 592D36323232 2011:04:28 so it was made April 28th, 2011-one month, five days after X100 production resumed.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

rio posted:

Well, just cancelled my order after getting a call from a guy at the store (who was a total douche with aggressive sales tactics), 42nd street photo. Apparently the camera is grey market and they wanted to charge me for a manufacturer's warranty (after trying to sell me new SD cards because "mine weren't good enough"). gently caress that place - it was listed as "New USA warranty" but apparently that meant "30 day store warranty". Back to square one and pretty pissed.

I did find one used but it is a "13" serial with a 1200 shots on it for 70. I would love to buy it but am pretty sketched about the aperture.

Maybe look into T Dimension and get their MACK warranty? I don't have any experience with them personally but they were who I was eyeballing to buy my X-Pro from because their new X-Pros were within 10 bucks of used Amazon Warehouse ones. Ultimately I went with Amazon because of the Fuji promotion of buying a new X-Pro plus a lens dropped $300 off the price so it came out about even.

Anybody here have any experience with T Dimension? It's a grey market camera but it comes with their own warranty service that covers manufacture defects where their courier service comes and picks up your camera and whisks it off to a HK repair facility. I imagine the downside would be the wait. The purchasable MACK warranty is for something like 3 years and the highest level covers dropping and equipment misuse.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

rio posted:

I told him that I already have some class 10 cards and he responded with some poo poo about how I need more for HD video, to which I responded that for the 720p the x100 records at I should be fine, plus the fact that I will not shoot video with it. For future reference, though, should class 10 be ok? I wasn't about to believe a word from the guy all the bullshit that was spewing out of his mouth.

E: I haven't heard of T Dimension, thanks for the link. What is the deal with the lower prices, is this also grey market? Also, the one year warranty is free and one year is fine by me, so if that is for real then cool. I hadn't even heard of "grey market" stuff like this before today, only in drug terms.

You'll want multiple 4 or 8 gig SDXC UHS-1 cards at 45mb/s,that is pretty much the minimum. I recommend sticking with 4 and 8 gig cards on the X100 because the card speed and size have direct correlation on startup times on the X100 due to Fuji's wacky handling of the file system. You'll notice increased startup times as you fill up a 16 gig card.

Other things to know is that unlike the X-Pro, the X100 locks you out of camera functions while it is writing so you'll really feel a slower card. Fuji writes uncompressed raw .RAF files at around 19 megs per .RAF for the X100. Also never put your card into an iPad or a Mac without engaging the write-protect tab on the card as they will write invisible files to the card. If it ever takes 30 seconds to a minute for your X series camera to turn on, this is almost always the case because for whatever reason the camera seems to trawl through the files on startup (hence my 4 or 8 gig recommendation above).

Grey market would be buying a camera from a foreign country outside your market. You wouldn't be able to register it with Fuji and claim warranty repairs, you'd have to go through T Dimension, which may be good or may be bad, I've never dealt with them.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

rio posted:

Thanks a lot for the info - I ordered an 8gb 45mb/s card to go with the camera. Got the camera from a cool dude on Amazon - like new, only 3 months old and with a 21A serial. I'm totally psyched to try the camera.

Awesome, congrats. While you're waiting for it to arrive shop for a soft release, once you use one you won't want to use a Fuji without.

I like this one: http://www.adorama.com/CZRS.html?gclid=CMjFsaGworUCFdSnPAodphkA6A on my X100 but it is big and toothy so I find a lot of photos of the inside of my bag because it makes the camera easier to turn on. There are a crapload of options out there though, I have a smaller, smooth one on the X-Pro and it has never inadvertently turned on. If you do get a soft release, borrow or buy a bottle of clear nail polish and coat the soft release threads lightly and wait 20 seconds before screwing it into the camera.

You'll also probably want a vented hood for the X100 because the front of the lens is pretty exposed and isn't interchangeable if it hits something. I used to have problems with leaving the camera in "Macro" mode when I turned it off. The problem here is that the camera extends the lens out slightly past its extent when you turn it on so if you have the lens cap on when you turn on the X100 in Macro mode it will hit the cap and make a terrible noise and prompt you to turn the camera off and on. That poo poo got old quick so I went with a hood.

Another X100 thing to know is that if your OVF lines are super dim, you've got the lens cap on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

rio posted:

X100 came today - what a camera. It is taking a while to get a hang of the menu system and the autofocus. I don't want to make any snap judgements on the af but the NEX seems much friendlier and faster in that regard, at least inside the house (haven't taken it out yet). Any tips from X100 peeps other than just keep shooting to learn the quirks?

Things you should do:
Update the firmware for sure, you can check your firmware version by holding the "BACK" button when you turn on the camera.

Practice changing the size of the AF box by pushing the AF button and adjusting the size with the control wheel. A bigger box is faster but you run the risk of it front or back-focusing if you catch a higher contrast object that is closer or further from you than your intended subject. The smallest box size is pinpoint accurate but it is going to be slower and you run the risk of there not being enough contrast for the camera to grab focus.

Turn on corrected framelines in the menu to help adjust for parallax error.

I don't remember if I ever mentioned it but if you don't already know, you should learn how a contrast detect AF system works versus a phase detect. The crash course is that you want to focus on the surface of things as opposed to the edges (like a DSLR). It isn't going to focus on your solid white wall or black cat, there needs to be something contrasty there to help it along. The X100 also likes vertical lines, if it doesn't want to focus on something and you can see vertical lines in the viewfinder, turn the camera sideways to portrait orientation. I've had to do this like twice ever but it does work.

Also, f/2 is a little soft without the wide-angle adapter. Sharp at f/2.8 though.