Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

What's the mirrorless camera with the best image quality? Agnostic of manufacturer. I'm using a D800e right now... anything approaching that? And are there lenses in the 20mm/50mm/150mm range that aren't garbage?

I haven't checked in on this sort of thing in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

krooj posted:

Leica M240 and associated Leica lenses...

You gotta be more specific with your question. Do you want to consider the whole system or just the body? A7/r is probably the best for innate IQ, but lens selection is poo poo. APS-C, maybe the Sony stuff with Zeiss only glass. Otherwise Fuji.
Whole system. Replacing a D800e and Zeiss 21mm. The Sony 24-70 lens sounds good upon a quick glance.

I print up to 8 feet wide, so unless I can get the same image quality as I can with the D800/21mm, it's not worth investigating much more.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The reason I'm looking into other options is weight. I go climbing for days at a time and weight matters.

What I carry now, D800e, 21mm Zeiss, 50mm 1.4, 80-200 f/2.8, tripod, together weigh a bit over 11 pounds. With the a7r, 24-70, and 70-200, it drops to 7 pounds and change, and I can make it lighter with a slightly smaller tripod. That's huge.

It looks like the lenses for the Sony aren't what I had hoped, however. I read around online, saw some samples, and ran into a local place today to check out the a7r and 24-70 combo. Handles fine, but yeah, that lens, not impressed. Workable, since I don't use the corners, but not ideal.

My question becomes: Is there anything else I can consider? Or on the horizon? Otherwise, I'll be picking up the 70-200 f/4 to replace my 80-200 and just dealing with it as I have.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The Sony a6000 actually seems pretty sweet. Price is a little easier to swallow, too. It's even smaller and lighter... and the lenses don't seem to suck?

I mean, I could certainly live with that and do more stitching to get larger images if I end up thinking I really need it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I mean it's got wifi

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

This a6000 is the tits. It's so small. gently caress that giant d800.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah dog

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Nondescript Van posted:

is there any place that has a really in depth explanation of all of the setting for the a6000? Sony's manual is a loving joke and is basically a list of menu items.
Sony has one on their website somewhere, google found it for me

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Is there a reason not to just buy an a6000?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Who the gently caress thinks cameras are only supposed to produce something "true" to a scene?

Don't ever read about cinematography or really photography at all beyond instruction manuals and MTF diagrams

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Wow. Assuming the IQ is great, that's the next camera I'll own.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Hello old friends.

I don't have any camera gear anymore, save a Canon G7 Mark II for backpacking. I like it.

If I were going to buy a mirrorless anything, with say a normal and a telephoto lens, is the Nikon Z7 the thing to do? I heard about some banding issues? I don't care much for anything beyond image quality and weight.

It's been a minute since I looked at camera gear intensely, so just looking for some broad strokes.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Encrypted posted:

Get the sony and if you are looking at the Z7 then maybe the A7R III. The focus on the sony is better than the z7 while the lens and adapter makes the sony a much better buy.

Also lol @ nikon using XQD memory card instead of SD.

That's only true if the lens designer are lazy, like nikon who basically just add an extension tube to their full frame lenses, or idiotic like canon, who designed the lens to be even bigger than the regular dslr counterparts just so they can make their lineup seem higher end while soaking their customer with terrible outdated bodies.

Something like sony's 12-24 is tiny compare to canon's 11-24 while being sharper. The new 24 1.4 is also small compare to pretty much anything else on the market while still having edge to edge sharpness.
Cool, thank you. My general read was that Nikon had sorta fallen off their game

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Does Sigma make actual good lenses now? My last experience with them was ~15 years ago, and they just weren't up to snuff with a comparable Canon/Nikon fast lens.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i suppose this post belong in the catch-all mirrorless thread, not a nikon or sony one

i am weighing a sony a7RIII vs. a nikon Z7. I'm going to be pairing that body with a couple sharp primes; zeiss loxias if sony, nikon S lenses for Z7 (i guess??)

...i shot nikon for years, and prefer the feel of the Z7 and its top LCD. the technical aspects of the Z-mount seem solid. i'm a hesitant about the way nikon is controlling access though. the lenses available right now seem... good enough, i suppose. but the future is concerning.

the sony seems the more economical. I know what I'm getting with those lenses, and no worries about the future. the sony has a few little technical things that are appealing (the HLG mode for exposure, the pixel-shift exposure, flawed though it is on that body)

video/autofocus mean nothing to me

...any thoughts? Or maybe i'm being too myopic and there's something else i should consider (FF, superb image quality, mirrorless)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i figured it out, thank u

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

A7r iv

Mainly because the used lens selection is far larger

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Does there exist some sort of viewfinder magnifier for the a7RIV? Or something like that? All I can find are viewfinders that use the fold out screen, or giant rubber eyecups.

I wear glasses and even if I remove the rubber eye up to get my lenses as close as possible to the viewfinder, I still can’t quite see the whole thing.

Any suggestions or leads?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The prescription is not the problem. Because of my lenses, my eyes are always too far away from the viewfinder, so I can never quite see all of it

This must be a common problem, but I don’t see any solution to it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the nikon Z series cameras are nicer to use, i think, than sonys. if lens selection were better, i'd have nikon

their future prospects are a little worrying, though

Ihmemies posted:

My Panasonic S1 has a large and smaller viewfinder image. You can switch between them. It wastes a portion of the viewfinder area and displays only black borders instead of utilizing the whole viewfinder area. That way eyeglass users can see the whole viewfinder.

Edit: seems it actually has three sizes.
i wish sony bodies had this :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

There are way too many of you micro 4/3 perverts around here

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

24mm is maybe the best focal length???? You make a good case for it, great work

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

a phone will never match a dedicated camera because a proper camera allows you to make decisions about photos that are otherwise left to chance with a phone (that WB example above is one good example of many)

unless you use an app on the phone that lets you make those decisions

try a fancy phone camera app before dropping serious coin on a camera

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah I mean I hate using the photo apps that allow control because the interfaces are terrible

But maybe someone else will like it and save some money

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Thanks. I'm gonna tell KEH to send my poo poo back and just sell it myself, the initial appraisal was borderline but acceptable, but I'm not gonna tolerate another 300 taken off that.

Not too smart for business because now they lost a sale on a $2,800 Leica that I was going to buy from them. You would think that they saw I had a hold on it and would put that into consideration.....Just dumb really.
they probably made the calculus that you were MORE likely to settle with them since you had an expensive camera on hold

good for you, though

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

please, please, stop talking about this camera

this very ugly, very overpriced, not at all desirable camera

please

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the sony connect one has worked pretty well for me, can only remember one time it crapped out. i just transfer jpgs to my phone for sharing on occasion, so that may not be super rigorous

the design is still hot garbage though

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i've used it on an A7riv, but the longest lens has been 200mm. works really well, only has a problem in very low light AND poor contrast simultaneously. cats and birds, so far.

i've heard about the 200-400's AF sometimes having issues on anything other than bodies from the newest couple generations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

uwimage posted:

Welp, I bit the bullet and got a Sony A7R III 42.4mp with a standard 50mm lens, 2 batteries and charger, camera only had 20 shutter counts for $1650, feel like I got a good deal until now…more glass…

What other lenses should I look for? I want a cheap/decent macro and telephoto.

My background, AAS degree in video production 26 years ago, stopped shooting in the Beta/mini DV era….this is my 50 year old mid life crisis purchase. I’ve shot out of a helicopter, underwater (actually shot a beta sp with a housing underwater, that thing was loving heavy!), tons of sports, been on nat geo, outdoor tv, food network, local channels, etc…got tired of freelance and settled for a six figure (total compensation) in hospital AV conferencing support gig…insurance is awesome and I have a pension…but this is my mid life crisis purchase, had sports cars, I’d kill myself with one now so I figured a good camera would fill the void.

More context, I now live in Colorado, mountains are at my doorstep, so wildlife, nature, etc are probably going to be my focus with this endeavor…

So, where/what lenses should I get? Or anyone have any extras cheap?
the previous version of the 70-200 f/4 will probably be found for a decent price used soon, since a new version is coming out.

look at the new version if you also want to incorporate macro. ... dunno that "cheap" applies to the new one, though. But it would address both of your needs?? it's also decently compact and lightweight and weather sealed, for all your outdoor needs

https://dustinabbott.net/2023/07/sony-fe-70-200mm-f4-macro-g-oss-ii-review/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

that peak design clip is good if your body/lens is light

i just take off my backpack when i want to make a photo. ive looked for and tried other solutions for more than a decade. it's okay, i'm not out there to hurry anyway

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

bodies like the a7riv already are what we would have considered MF quality five years ago or so

i get it, the larger sensor and 100MP along with the qualities of a MF lens are great. But if you're just after the resolution... i don't think the money is worth it. unless you're making prints the size of a wall. they're niche tools now, for photos that are going to see use in huge ads.

i looked well into it when comparing the sony a7riv and nikon z7ii. it just wasn't worth it. i came to that conclusion before you even factor in lens cost.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you serve an important role in providing stock for the used market, that's for sure

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I guess I have some weird idea of keeping more of the perspective from 35mm but having more crop reach. Probably not actually a thing!
they make lenses longer than 35mm for most systems, idk

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

titanium posted:

I have a couple used Tamron lenses I bought, one off ebay the other used. It turns out they're both grey market lenses and wont work on my Z6ii. Have an of you had luck tricking the tap-in console to update a grey market lens? Can I use a VPN to trick it into thinking I'm in some other nation and have it update or should I just sell them with my D810 and warn the buyer?

Hold up, does Nikon require you to use lenses and bodies from the same market??? lmao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

why in the hell is nikon's new 600mm lens $4500 when Sony's 200-600 is $2000 and they have the same aperture????

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

as long as one bike has gears and the other does not. the sony is heavier due to the zoom, no matter what nikon says about their fresnel lens

i guess they're trying to be the, i dunno, niche luxury camera brand? kinda thought that already existed??

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

DxO Photolab. Do it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I guess it's time to buy DxO PhotoLab.

yes

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you want dxo photolab

it's what you all want

fuckin do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Low-end anything is a dying market. Phones do a ‘good enough’ job. Most consumers with enough money to be able to act on a desire to get a camera better than a phone have enough to buy something ‘mid-range’ or better and marketing is happy to reinforce that consumer’s notion of ‘more money=better than’