Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I've been pondering switching to a smaller kit for traveling, and specifically the OM-D. The lens selection seems good, especially with the recent Panasonic workhorses. I cover events, and usually use a mid-range zoom and a fast prime, with on-camera flash if needed. New kit would probably include FL-600R, Panasonic 12-35, Olympus 45mm, and some 35mm equiv. prime.

Any experiences with the OM-D at events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Eirgen posted:

Eh.. in NYC, so everything is overpriced :( Not really going to get a camera immediately so I guess I can wait longer and check again in a month or two.

You should visit B&H Photo. Huge selection, good prices, not a scam.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

Going off of that, which do we know are scams? Amazon and Google have some discounted x100's but coming from an automotive industry job, I have a hard time trusting anything that isn't the manufacturer itself.

You should shop around B&H, Amazon and Adorama to check for prices, or scout out a local shop. KEH is good for used gear. If it's a small shop with a suspiciously low price, it's probably a scam. A lot of the retail chains don't really have camera stuff besides entry-level bodies, and the staff tend to be pretty clueless. If you do find a brick and mortar store, you can always check it out. Having a local, knowledgeable store can be a huge boon.

A few pages back I was thinking about switching systems to an OM-D, but in the end I reckoned I'd lose too much money. I couldn't afford all the new lenses I'd need, amd selling the old stuff is too much of a hassle. I still feel that I haven't paid enough attention to personal photography in a while, and the reluctance of hauling all my gear is probably a factor. This weekend I should be picking up a used Fuji X100, and as the weather improves, I'll be looking forward to carrying a small, capable camera. I used to have one for a while back in 2011, but had to get rid of it.

However, the OM-D felt really good with the grip, and some of the lenses are alluring, so maybe in a few years.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

alkanphel posted:

I would suggest you get the EM5 or EP5 at least, since you already have lenses for the system. The 25 and 75 are very solid lenses, esp the 25 which is permanently stuck on my EM5 99% of the time. Both the EM5 and XE1 can produce great photos so it's really is all about your personal feel on the cameras. I used my friend's XE1 and I really hated it, from the handling to the EVF, which is horrible compared to the EM5. Of course if you're just switching for the sake of having new gear or something different, don't bother with logic then.

It's funny, because I found the handling on the EM-5 absolutely atrocious. Ended up with the 18-55 X-E1 kit in the end. On the other hand, I'm having huge doubts, because while I love the camera, I'm not sure if I like the system as much. m4/3 would be a more mature system, and would allow me to shoot video, too. And having two mirrorless systems would just feel... dumb.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

Why did Fuji pick a flower to symbolize macro mode? Are bugs too gross to get past marketing?

Because almost every single digital camera has used a flower as the macro symbol.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Huxley posted:

Thanks for all your help. Newegg had refurb Nex-3N full kits last night, so I jumped on that.

What is the Nikon equivalent of the FD? Like, if I want 30-year-old, manual focus prime lenses, what should I be searching KEH for? Which adapter is correct? Do all those acronyms just use the F mount a la this adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImagin...f+mount+adapter

If you're adventurous, you can also buy non-AI or pre-AI lenses, and then file off a few bits to get them working. The glass itself tends not to be that remarkable, because it's so old. Even so, a friend of mine got an ancient Nikon non-AI 35mm f/1.4 for peanuts.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Musket posted:

So far all the rumors for updates in the X-xxxx line up, fail to capture my attention. The XE-1 meets and exceeds my needs thankfully. Also Idk why they need to move the Q button, unless theres some complaints from fat thumbed folks. Get a ThumbsUp grip, its a game changer.

If you absolutely need to spend the money, get more glass.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

I have plenty of full frame lenses that are quite compact, they just lack autofocus. My point being that, if Nikon uses their DSLR lens mount, I won't have the option of using so much legacy glass on it.

If only there was some way to have lots of old manual focus legacy lenses available without an adapter for the F mount.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

Click for huge:

Pic + avatar combo.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Digital Jesus posted:

Turns out the whole "more lenses for m43" thing is more a curse than a blessing. Where the hell should I start for my E-M5? I like street photography and general happy snaps.

Do you like primes? There's a very good set of Pana 20/1.7, 14/2.5 and Oly 45/1.8 that's fairly cheap. They're all very good quality for the price, and you should find stuff used, too. You can switch the 20/1.7 to the Pana-Leica 25/1.4 if you want to spend some more. (Also the set I'm aiming for, currently have the wide and the tele.)

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
It's awesome, but quirky, but awesome. Seriously considering ditching the XF18-55 and replacing it with the XF35.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

spog posted:

I just scored a new Panasonic 20mm 1.7 from John Lewis (UK) for £159.99 on clearance. A considerable saving on the Amazon price of £300.

A pretty good start to the new year! It's something I've wanted for a while, but never felt able to justify the price (until I'd sold some of my unused gear)

t:mad: I've been trying to score that for weeks now. It retails for 450€ here, which is hilariously overpriced.

IM DAY DAY IRL, the battery grip is very much worth it when bought used. For me, it turns the camera from a horrible shitfest into something very enjoyable. It's not quite as nice as the Fujis, but it's very capable, and for most of my work-related shooting I prefer the Olympus over the Fuji. The Fuji for personal projects all the way, though.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

The whole appeal of the mirrorless platform was the ability to have near-DSLR quality images without the bulk; something I can easily fit in a pocket for when I'm around town. I probably should have mentioned in my original post that I'm only looking for add-ons that reduce or maintain the profile of the camera. I'm sure at some point I'll start getting into some different types of glass and accessories to use for the best available images and usability but I can't foresee that happening anytime in the near future.

I hate the ergonomics without the grip, but yeah, it adds quite a bit of bulk, so fair enough. :) 20/1.7 and 14/2.5 are both awesome and tiny.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Absolutely no one is surprised that it's a fake.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

ManiacMatt posted:

So for those of you with experience with these cameras. Have any of you used an Olympus em5 or a fuji xe1 (or xe2) for concert photography. I have tried out both in store and am quite happy with how both feel in my hand. I'm torn between the two, and I'm trying to decide between the two. For a lot of my general needs, both will be pretty similar. But I occasionally do some concert photography, until now I've been using my 5d OG for that and have been plenty satisfied with the results. But I'm tired of lugging a full frame camera around and I really don't want to run 2 systems.

So if I could get any feedback on people who have used them regularly that would be great.

I have the E-M5 and the Fuji X-E1 and have used both for events. Honestly I'd use the Olympus over the Fuji. The AF is better in low light, the viewfinder is better in low light. Granted, I've used the kit with the Fuji and some primes with the Olympus, maybe the 35/1.4 or 23/1.4 are different. The Fuji produces better results in good light, and has better high ISO in my use, but the overall experience is better with the Olympus. Also a wider selection of different lenses (not that you need anything but the 23/1.4).

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Just going through another batch of event photos, and I'll admit I trust the OM-D over the X-E1. The focus, exposure and WB are all more robust when shooting RAW, though I suppose that might also be in part due to Lightroom's processing. I'm thinking I really should've gone with the X100s, because I still love the look the Fujis produce in non-mixed light.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Holy poo poo that article. :stare:

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

ChirreD posted:

Tthe x100 is the bestest camera everest.
Especially with the latest 2.0 update. Stil, expect great image quality but don't expect DSLR speeds.

Anyways, yes check the serial number for SAB. Unfortunately shutter count is not really accurate.

p.s. About to sell mine in the Netherlands if you're nearby. Because I can get the s for little.

How much is little? How much are you selling the original for? :)

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

krooj posted:

That's insane. What about buying in Germany, UK, or NL and shipping? X-E2 kits are available for $1100 CAD, so you might even be better off seeing if a friend in NA can buy and ship it to you.

Most of the EU countries have VAT that's around 20-26%. Amazon.de has the kit for about $1600-1700 USD. Even the Fuji X100s is still $1800 USD locally.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Unfortunately the NEX doesn't have a lot of actual lenses.

Ain't that the truth.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I got the X-T4 last September, and it didn't come with a separate charger, just a (tiny) USB-C cable and an adapter to plug into the wall. Then I got an official Fuji dual charger, and even that didn't come with a longer cable. Do people not use their cameras while charging a battery? :confused: Now I have my charger on the floor when I charge a battery, which still feels equally weird.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Have you looked at the Viltrox 23/1.4? Reviews seem to be quite positive, and it’s AF capable.

Been using the Viltrox 23 since about November last year, and I think it's okay. Good value considering it's so cheap, but you could probably pick up a Fuji 23/1.4 used for not that much more.

After about a month of use the glue holding the focus ring to the lens failed, but I got the entire lens replaced under warranty. No similar issues with the new one. AF works well, 35mm equivalent is a great focal length, and it's reasonably sharp considering the price. For reference, I had the 16-80/4 but sold it since I didn't like the slow aperture or performance wide open.

I also got the Viltrox 85/1.8 and wide open it's miles ahead. I really like that one.

e: This on an X-T4.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I ended up selling my 16-80 this summer after about 10 months because to me it felt too soft wide open. Really useful focal length though, and the constant aperture is useful. I haven't used the 18-55 in years so can't really remember how it performed. Looking to get the 16-55 in the future, because even if it's about the same quality as the 16-80, the faster aperture is way more useful for me.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Lily Catts posted:

Just got an X-T4, any default settings I should go and change right away?

I got the Smallright grip and L-bracket grip, because I find the normal grip way too small. Using back button focus because it's what I'm used to.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
If he's still using the kit lens with his T2i, it's unlikely he'll be bothered by using a 80D in 2022. It's still a nice upgrade, and he'll likely get years of use out of it.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Any thoughts on a decent (used) secondary body to complement a Fuji X-T4? No video needed, but would prefer good high ISO performance. X-T3? X-T30? X-H1?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The Z50/fC would be the obvious path to take since you can get an adapter and use the same lenses but yeah everyone seems to think that Nikon is going to shrivel up and die in the next 5 years and then you’ll be left with a dead system..

But going by what happened with Olympus, well, they got scooped up by investors and are still making new cameras and lenses. Nikon is more established in the market than Oly. I don’t think the rug is going to get pulled out from under the Nikon user base, but they have developed and offered basically fuckall in the way of APSC lenses for Z mount - just a couple of zooms that are roughly equivalent to what you already have, I think.

The DX system has always had its issues when it comes to lens selection, so here's hoping that Nikon will finally change.

Predicting Nikon's demise seems a bit premature, however, they knocked it out of the park with the Z9. If they can move some of those features down the product line they should be in good position to survive, if not thrive. Nikon's problem is still that the camera market has collapsed from what it was, and Nikon's a much smaller company compared to Canon and Sony. Whether Nikon will be able to gain an actually large market share again is up for debate, of course.

But overall I'd also recommend Fuji for APS-C stuff, starting to see a good number of third party lenses, a good variety of first party lenses, and good options in the used market. Part of this is just because both the Fuji X system and the overall camera market has matured. Compared to even 10 years ago, many, many bodies are good, if not outright great. On the other hand, new bodies are often more iterative than innovative.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

As is the case with all the major camera manufacturers, Nikon is pretty diversified. I doubt their consumer camera division is going anywhere as they have their fingers in a lot of other digital optical imaging spaces in the industrial and scientific world,

https://industry.nikon.com/en-gb/
https://www.microscope.healthcare.nikon.com/

So just by virtue of there being a lot of shared development, I doubt Nikon will ever truly be 'out' of the game. Reduced capacity sure, but I can't help but imagine their production facilities cranking out their sensors and their lenses are also the same ones making those items for their microscopes/etc.

Sure, Nikon has a whole bunch of other departments too, but the entirety is a much smaller company than Canon. And of course Sony is absolutely massive, even if you just consider roughly the direct competitors to Canon and Nikon.

All this is pretty much to say that I really like Nikon's cameras, so hoping the company sticks around.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The answer to “what’s the backup camera for my X-T4?” Is obviously an X-E4. Same gen sensor and in a very sexy but economical body style.

ishikabibble posted:

The X-T30 is actually two cameras now, there's the original X-T30 and the X-T30 II, which is only denoted literally on the very bottom of the camera on the model detail blurb. Iirc though the only major difference is improved autofocus and lowlight autofocus.

harperdc posted:

if you like the image quality/ISO performance of the X-T4, then the X-T3 and X-T30 use the same one, just without IBIS and with fewer features overall, respectively.

Splinter posted:

I believe the T3 and T30 have the xtrans 4 while the H1 only has the 3, so you'll get better sensor performance with those Ts. However the H1 sensor still is plenty good. I believe the T3 also has better autofocus than the H1 as well, but the H1 also was when Fuji autofocus got "good enough" for many uses. Main (only?) reason to choose the H1 here is for the IBIS. But the H1 is also, as they say, a chonker (much more DSLR-sized than the T3). And be aware the H1 also has a traditional screen on top of the camera in place of the physical exposure comp wheel.

These are from like 2 months back, but thanks for the help! Still haven't made up my mind because I'm a huge procrastinator, and I won't actually really need the second body until about mid September.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

DanTheFryingPan posted:

These are from like 2 months back, but thanks for the help! Still haven't made up my mind because I'm a huge procrastinator, and I won't actually really need the second body until about mid September.

Well I ended up going with an X-S10 in the end. That's going to be the stills focused body, while the X-T4 will mainly do video. Will see how it works, might swap around in a few months.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Blamestorm posted:

For what it’s worth I got a X-S10 a while ago and it seems like a perfect camera, I can’t think what I’d want to upgrade for except maybe WR (although as people noted upthread it’s not really a big deal). I mean, I’m sure there are advantages to more expensive bodies but at least for the kind of stills I’m doing I can’t think of any.

Exactly one day after I ordered the X-S10 they finally released the X-H2, shipping late September, priced at $2000. Perfect timing.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

runawayturtles posted:

If you're interested in something on the level of the X-H2, why get the X-S10 over the X-T4?

I already have the X-T4, the X-S10 will be a primarily stills focused second body, but needs to do video in a pinch. That's the current plan, anyway.

Lens-wise I'll probably grab a 10-24 some time in October.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The X-S10 arrived after apparently being lost for a few weeks en route.

First impressions
- Much smaller than I assumed. I got an L-bracket for it and it's decent now, but still a tad too small for my tastes.
- Build quality isn't as good as the X-T4. It just doesn't feel as sturdy, it's pretty light, and some of the buttons don't have the same feel of durability.
- EVF seems decent enough.
- No hotshoe cover and no external battery charger included in the box. I guess both to save some money?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Is this the US MPB, because EU MPB has had quick email responses for me.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Thinking I might trade my 16-55 f2.8 in and get the 23mm F1.4 R, and the 70-300. I kind of want to just rent the 70-300 to try out, but it would be 1/3 paid for a 2 week rental and I know I'd probably want to use it again. MPB sounds like the place to use for that. When you trade in, and they give you the valuation can you then just use that as credit against other lenses they have in stock?

Yeah, you can offset the cost of buying gear from them by selling other gear to them.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Fuji launched a new smartphone app, the Fujifilm XApp app. Maybe in TYOOL 2023 it'll finally be decent?

e: Also the X-S20 which is probably a very decent successor to the X-S10, and a new super wide angle prime which actually seems interesting.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

This is tempting except I don’t want to buy into another lens system.

Bold of you to call it an actual system considering how many DX lenses Nikon has released.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I was happily shooting ISO 3200 on the D700, how times have changed.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Did people already forget the X-H2 and X-H2s from last year?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

I don’t get it. I don’t think this company listens to its customers. Are people asking for this? They must really see a future in the G line.

The GFX line seems to successful, since it's a reasonably priced way to get a larger sensor with a good variety of lenses. Overall though, Instax is like over 50% of Fuji's imaging business these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

qirex posted:

Classic is clearly end of life or close to it, at some point you're going to need to dehumanize and face to new Lightroom.

gently caress that.