Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Coincidentally, Pentax has announced they're getting in the EVIL game too.

quote:

In a nutshell, the new camera body will be the lightest and smallest interchangeable-lens digital camera in the world. It will feature a high-performance backlit 12.4 megapixel CMOS sensor, loaded with the latest in technology from Pentax. Although the sensor's small size (1/2.33") sound promising, we may yet be surprised by the innovation in this sensor! The Pentax Q will also boast several features found in Pentax DSLRs, such as sensor-shift Shake Reduction; ultrasonic Dust Removal II; and P, Tv, Av, and M modes. It supports full-HD video recording at 30FPS and has a fast image framerate of 5FPS with a top shutter speed of 1/2000s. Its flash sync speed will be 1/2000s, but only when the built-in flash is used with the kit lens or the zoom lens.

The launch lens lineup will consist of 5 lenses in two main categories:
"High Performance Lenses", which are designed to deliver maximum image quality:
01 Standard Prime (47mm F1.9) (Kit lens)
02 Standard Zoom (27.5-80mm F2.8-4.5) ($299)

and "Unique Lenses", which deliver fancy lens effects (and not much more):
03 Fish Eye ($129)
04 Toy Wide-Angle ($79)
05 Toy Telephoto ($79)

The system is expected to become available in the US this September. The Pentax Q will be available in two colors (silver and black) and will cost about $799 (together with the kit lens, which cannot be purchased separately).
http://www.pentaxforums.com/Pentax-Q-Interchangeable-Lens-System

Pentax fanbois :allears:

I can't see that selling real well unless it comes at like $400. $800 could get you a real DSLR with APS-C sensor, not a EVIL with a tiny sensor.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HPL posted:

It just occurred to me that if they can make a Leica M39 to Pentax Q adapter, you could use a small 50mm like a Jupiter-8 as a wicked fast 285mm telephoto or an 85mm f/2 Jupiter-9 as a 485mm f/2 lens.

Can the lenses really deliver that much resolution, though? You'd have to shoot them wide open (or close) to avoid diffraction, you'd have to keep the shutter speeds way up, and if you step the ISO up your picture is going to be noisy as hell. It's all the (mostly nitpicky) arguments against the m4/3 sensor times a thousand.

vvv Haha wow you can't even adapt other glass. That really does suck vvv

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 23, 2011

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Costello Jello posted:

Here's an article where a Pentax executive tries to explain why anyone would want to buy this camera and fails miserably:
http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2143551/pentax-unveils-compact-01-mirrorless-camera

It's pretty sad when even Pentax can't make a convincing argument on why you should buy their camera.

So if I'm understanding that right, Pentax is targeting owners of legacy K-mount lenses in a field which they traditionally have not made inroads in (i.e. a field in which people don't own legacy lenses), and you should buy their mirrorless camera instead of a DSLR because its excitingly chunky design enables the use of DSLR lenses. Have I got that more or less straight?

Go to hell, Pentax.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Brick Card posted:

I like the new Pentax K-01, really like the fact that you can use SLR lenses with it. I even like that it's bulkier because that lets you actually grip it. People need to get over the presumption that mirrorless cameras have to be thinner, they don't. They're just an evolution in design. In this day an age, having a mechanical shutter seems incredibly antiquated. I sort of look at it like the old platter harddrives and newer SSD harddrives. Solid state is clearly better and the future but the tech is not quite developed enough or cheap enough to completely replace the old style drives.

You could have made it thinner and made an official passthrough adapter that works KA lenses automatically while letting you get shorter register distance lenses on there, as well as making it look nice and slim for press shots.

The rest of your post is pretty much garbage (much like the K-01). You're posting in the EVIL megathread dude, we all know what the benefits of mirrorless cameras are, and reduced size is one of those benefits. Thing is, the NEX-5N is a better mirrorless in basically every way.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 3, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Laser Cow posted:

I can see a sort of post modern thing going on but I can't believe they are that stupid.

Seriously, believe it. Pentax has ignored the mountain of fanboys trying to throw money at them in return for a FF DSLR for years, and has instead released the following major products:

A digital medium format camera (proving that a camera with a larger sensor can be targeted at a very small market successfully even without selling a bunch of new lenses)

A DSLR with exciting new colors and no autofocus indicators

An expensive mirrorless with a point and shoot sized sensor

And now a DSLR-sized mirrorless with no viewfinder and a DSLR mount built in.

They are that stupid.

Also I've more or less been run out of the K-01 subforum on PentaxForum for suggesting it's not the best thing since the bayonet mount. To be fair: apparently the K-01 actually WILL focus screwdrive lenses, I misread a post and thought it wouldn't. It's still a lovely product, and it's kind of funny to watch a bunch of Pentax fanboys suddenly realize that SOMEONE IS MAKING CAMERAS... WITHOUT MIRRORS!

e: Now someone else is getting shat on for realizing that you won't be able to handhold it for dick with long lenses because you're not pressing it up against your face to help stabilize it. :allears:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 3, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's a DSLR. Without a phase-detect AF module, viewfinder, and shittier battery life. It's like, you take all the disadvantages of a mirrorless system and make it as big as a DSLR (with a matching register distance), then you poo poo it out into the waiting hands of Pentaxians.

I don't loving get it either, there's so many great niche cameras that are waiting for a digital clone. You could have dropped an Olympus XA into the designer's hands, said "make it digital" and moonwalked all the way to the bank.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FasterThanLight posted:

I just want the guts from a Kodak Easyshare in an Eastman 2-D body.

Can do. I'll need $2000 and a few weeks. Hope you like toy supertelephoto lenses.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
More work from the designer of the K-01:

My first thought:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you have an appropriate adapter, sure.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

moonduck posted:

Granted, Leica sounds like they're going to come out with some sort of APS-C/H mirrorless sometime this year (perhaps with an R-mount instead of M),

Oh hey I see Pentax and Leica are thinking along similar lines then. I guess we can look forward to not just one, but two DSLR sized mirrorless cameras. And no the X100 is not a rangefinder and the X1 is not a great system for rangefinder lenses for the above mentioned reasons.

It would not be difficult to make a digital rangefinder body. You can build it on the Cosina Bessa chassis, this is basically what Epson did with the R-D1 and it was what I would consider to be a decent hit for an expensive, very niche camera (not X100 level success, but they still go for close to new prices even though they've been discontinued for years). I don't know why they stopped, but if I had to guess they were unprepared for providing good mechanical camera service and got hammered. Not a problem for Fuji or anyone else with a little experience. If someone wanted to, Cosina also has a mechanical SLR chassis, the Bessaflex TM. Digital screwmount body :flashfap:

Another approach would be to revamp the Ricoh GXR system. The sealed sensor-lens unit is a dumb idea and the lens should be broken back out. It should be in three pieces, body unit, sensor unit, lens mount unit. Frequently offer new sensor units, in m4/3, APS-C, and FF sizes. Make the mounts not suck - Ricoh makes the 645D, which has a mechanical aperture feeler, Nikon can figure it out too. There's zero excuse for requiring manual stop down and stop-down metering on SLR lenses, all the patents for the major systems were filed in the 60s and 70s and should be out of patent. Another advantage would be that you could feel the focus cam on rangefinder lenses, and do things like drawing a line of the actual plane of focus on the screen instead of focus peaking (which I'm guessing doesn't work that well stopped down). Next, make separate technical lens mount units, so you can get tilt/shift movements with some longer register lenses (SLR lenses). You could also make glassless contrast-detect autofocus mounts like the Pentax 1.7X AF Teleconverter, so you could autofocus manual lenses without losing IQ from the teleconverter. Better still, open-source the firmware or let users write scripts for it. CHDK is awesome and it would be amazing if you could get a manufacturer to provide similar functionality on a SLR or mirrorless body.

The GXR (and the NEX :lol:) has shown that you don't need to sell lenses to make a system work, the X100 has shown that there's niche markets for rangefinder-esque units. the R-D1 shows people still want real rangefinders, and the continued demand and extremely high prices for the Fuji GX680 technical cameras show that there is continued demand for a high quality technical camera. The 645D is another great example of the possibilities of niche cameras. Fuji is kicking rear end with the X series but there's still so much more that could be done to support legacy gear, technical photography, and street shooting.

TL;DR, make a camera for :spergin:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 17, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beastruction posted:

Wouldn't that require figuring out the distance of every point in the image (at least per pixel on the EVF) to compare to the lens' distance setting? I think focus peaking just detects contrast so stopping down shouldn't be a problem on its own, as long as it doesn't push the ISO high enough that noise starts to blur things or introduce significant diffraction.

HPL posted:

A true digital rangefinder mechanism would require a second camera sensor offset from the main sensor to generate the rangefinder patch. You can't just make an offset image from nothing.

The problem with doing contrast-detect AF when stopped or with wide angle lenses is that there's not as sharp and narrow a band of peak contrast. Wide open with a normal/tele lens, there's a several foot zone that's sharpest. If you stop down, then there's a big wide range that's sharp and you don't know exactly where the sharpest area is. Is focus peaking good enough to pick out the exact area of focus, or does it just show you that everything is sharp?

It would require some slick programming but it could be done. In short, the idea is that you can use the horizon line to figure out infinity, and the vertical tilt and focal length to calculate the camera's position/orientation, factor in the perspective distortion,and guess how close the bottom of the image is to you. You then use the focus cam to try to interpolate the the plane of focus somewhere between you and infinity.

It would have lots of caveats, like you can't do it inside, the ground has to be reasonably level, and it wouldn't be accurate to the inch, but it would be better than nothing. A highly technical MSPaint:

Pink = horizon and perspective lines, yellow = plane of focus. The perspective lines would be more keystoned for wider angles, higher heights above ground, or more vertical tilt.

Of course you could just make a body that has a real rangefinder built in and lens mount modules that can read the appropriate cam, and I would love to buy one. However, this could supplement CDAF under some situations where it's weak without adding a full rangefinder unit. Software is cheap, hardware is expensive. None of this will happen, but it would be neat.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 19, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

moonduck posted:

Yeah, it'll be a shame if Leica decides that that R-mount needs a cheaper mirrorless solution but the M-mount doesn't, but I imagine they probably want to utilize that whole system of glass that's out there.

I was actually making GBS threads on the idea a bit. If you make a SLR-mount mirrorless you ensure that it can't take rangefinder lenses (unless you magic something up that lets the lenses sit down inside the mount). So you lose phase-detect AF, it's huge, it has a limited selection of glass, and all the cool designers laugh as you as you awkwardly straddle the two camera types.

If Leica makes a K-01 the Pentax fanboys will never, ever shut up.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 19, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Mods please rename the Toy Camera thread to the Rangefinder Discussion Station.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Unless you are shooting Leica glass in which case you are better off with a GXR with A12 M-mount module. Or the NEX-5, which handles wideangle rangefinder lenses better than the 7.

I hadn't heard this, why is the NEX-5 better than the NEX-7 with wideangle lenses? Are there microlens problems causing color fringing / color shifts / something? Also what's the advantage of the GXR in this case, I don't see how it gets you anything more than a NEX + adapter does?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beastruction posted:

Nope that's basically the best lens, anything wider will be f/2.8 or slower or significantly more expensive and anything longer will be awkward on a NEX.

Counterpoint: Samyang 35mm f/1.4, in Nikon or Pentax mount. Then you can also buy a Pentax MX or a Nikon FM2 and get semiwide goodness in addition to a fast normal lens. It's about $500 but if manual focus is your thing it actually beats the Nikon and Canon competitors.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DoktorLoken posted:

How does the Sony 50mm 1.8 E mount lens compare to these vintage MF lenses in optical quality?

I don't own a NEX, but I usually trust Photozone's reviews. They have only tested it on the NEX-7, which is known for some issues with its sensor's edge sharpness. The center looks great, very sharp right from wide open, but the edges are abysmal until f/2.8, and aren't equally sharp until like f/4. If you're shooting wide open all the time or you want autofocus, it's probably a worthwhile upgrade.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pompous Rhombus posted:

m4/3 doesn't alter the optical formula of the lens! :argh: :spergin:

Actually most 28mm lenses are telephoto lenses, reverse telephotos. Otherwise they would never clear the SLR mirror. However, I do prefer the terms long/short lens to avoid this conversation.

:spergin:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I still want to know what is up with the NEX-7's edge resolution. It seems to suck with most non-purpose-designed glass, which is unfortunately virtually the only thing out for NEX.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You X100 owners out there, do you shoot jpeg or raw? Been a raw shooter with all my Canon gear, but I have to say that I am so pleased with the jpeg output of the X100 (especially in the extended dynamic range modes) that I think I will keep using it unless I really feel the need to do anything else... and the film modes are pretty nifty. "Velvia" really shines:

You know how far denoising has come in the last few iterations of Lightroom/Aperture? Sooner or later there'll be another big breakthrough in some area.

Keep your raws.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Despair posted:

Pentax K-01 supremacy :smug:

Pentax's astrophotography mode is actually awesome. They use the sensor shake-table to pan the sensor as the Earth rotates, so you can do long exposures without a tracker. As cool as the NEX system is, I do wish they'd managed to cram in an image-stabilized sensor. I think Sony sells Pentax the sensor anyway, why is Olympus the only company with a short-register shake-sensor mirrorless?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Miso Beno posted:

oh my god that is so cool

edit:
why doesnt olympus do that
or focus peaking

You do need to have the GPS tracker mounted before you can do that, but it's a really cool and in hindsight obvious application of the shake table.

Mr. Despair posted:

There is a k-01 body for 282 bucks, used but the item is fulfilled by amazon (with warranty and all that)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0076396OA/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1355428239&sr=8-1&keywords=pentax+k-01&condition=used

Nope, it's eligible for an aftermarket warranty but it doesn't have manufacturer's warranty.

Startyde posted:

...and they're finally starting to get cheap. $316 on B&H right now is p tempting. Something uglier and more awkward than my old GF1 but dat sensor. :swoon:

... That's actually getting to the price range where I could justify it as a gimmick camera for the astrophotography thing. Good thing NEX-5Ns are still running so cheap, and would let me do a lot more manual glass.

I rarely shoot anything autofocus anymore, and I've been looking for easier use of my manual focus lenses. I've been thinking about replacing my 40D with SOMETHING, but I've been torn between a couple options. If I went with a Nikon SLR (D200 or something), I could get native access to a library of manual lenses without having to do manual-mode metering (the split-prism screen fucks things up on my 40D). It would also leave me with a full native library of lenses, but I wouldn't be able to mount my Pentax glass and have it hit infinity.

The NEX-5N is really tempting and they're getting super cheap. It's a hell of a camera and would open up a lot of short-register SLR and rangefinder glass, but would stick me with focus peaking and stop-down metering instead of open-aperture. There is also a specific dive case for it that I'm seriously interested in as a "someday" purchase.

Finally, there's the K-01. That long register distance sucks rear end, but the astro mode is really cool and I have a moderate library of quality K-mount manual glass that would be good with green-button metering.

I'm thinking of moving to a D200 in the short term and a full-frame NEX in the long term once they hit the market and start to drop in price a bit, or possibly NEX-5N in the short term and eventually a dive case, but all three of them have their own advantages. :(

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 13, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Full frame is necessary because Sony just put out a full frame X100 and Fuji's worried it'll eat into their sales.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX1-Cybershot-Full-frame-Digital/dp/B0097CXFCC

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shmoogy posted:

Agree with the other guys- I don't see enthusiasts spending almost $3000 on a fuji full frame unless it's exquisite. Maybe after another 2 iterations if they continue taking feedback to heart and improve things greatly.

Is the RX1 selling well?

Not sure, it's only been released for a week or two now.

Yeah, the price is way too high, I totally agree. If it hit somewhere around the $2300 price point at launch, dropping to $2000 or $1900 in a year or so it'd be a big hit. It does seem to be angling more for the Leica niche with stuff like manual focus AND aperture rings. But it's not really a competitor to SLRs, it's much smaller than a D600 will ever be and supposedly the sensor is an improved version of the D800's sensor. It's basically a high-end bridge camera, not a SLR or rangefinder.

At the moment, I'm more curious what Fuji will do to react to it than I am interested in the RX-1 itself, especially at that price point.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Radbot posted:

Groupon keeping the mirrorless hits coming with a cheap Pentax Q:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pentax-q-with-zoom-kit-1?c=all&p=21

Note that it doesn't come with the zoom lens pictured.

Yeah, I think it comes with a 47mm-equivalent prime instead. I love the "standard prime zoom lens" on there.

quote:

$199 for a black Pentax Q camera kit with 01 standard prime zoom lens ($479 list price)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HPL posted:

K-mount also easily adapts to M42 screw mount which expands your lens possibilities even more.

I'm sure you know this but for the record, M42 adapts to K mount but not the other way around. The K-mount has the same register distance but the diameter of the K-mount is bigger.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Did you update the firmware?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Despair posted:

e. Also does anyone have any thoughts on the OM-D compared to a nex-7?

The NEX-7 has a reputation for kind of lovely edge resolution. From what I've heard the OM-D is fantastic but fairly expensive and with a smaller sensor.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

About the only reason I would get a DSLR these days is if I wanted a full frame camera for a reasonable price, or I needed something with classic DSLR controls. Like for studio shooting I still think a DSLR might be a good buy, or for paid work. They can also be rugged and weatherproof, so they definitely have their place. You also can't really argue with the Canon and Nikon lens lineups. They're basically second to none.

SLRs can standby for hours without draining their batteries and still be ready to shoot at any second. Mirrorless cameras still haven't fully solved the time-to-first-shot problem, SLRs are still faster. The NEX series has made some good progress with first-party lenses but third-party lenses still take a second or two to boot up.

There's also the matter of optical focusing aids, which only work with a physical viewfinder. Contrast peaking is a poor substitute and contrast detection is just overall inferior to phase-detect autofocus. Of course Fuji has supposedly solved this with phase-detect autofocus in their new X100S.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

alkanphel posted:

Well advanced fixed-lens cameras like the RX100, RX1 and X100s are relatively new in the history of digital cameras so I think it will take some time before a better term is established for them, much like how point & shoot was used commonly to refer to the old basic Coolpix/Powershot/Cybershot cameras.

They're really not. The Ricoh GR Digital came out in 2007, people, we can come up with a new word already.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

glassyalabolas posted:

Anyone have experience with the Sigma 30mm? I want to get a prime for my NEX-5R.

Considering you could (can?) get it for basically $100 it's a steal. Upsides are it's pretty great optically and it's cheap as all hell. Downsides are, no image stabilization (unlike Sony's $350 35/1.8), only f/2.8, and it takes longer to boot the camera. From cold start my kit lens is pretty much ready to go instantly, whereas the Sigma does take about 2 seconds before the NEX will release shutter.

You really can't go wrong for the price.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Helicity posted:

That's a good point with the adapter - who makes good ones? I have a Fotodiox, but I feel like it doesn't match up with one my Taks very well and they have ignored several email questions from me. My Taks and my Minoltas don't have the hard stop, so I was wondering if there was a cutoff year or something, or certain brands that I could look more deeply into.

My suspicion would be that your lenses are hosed up. All of my Taks and all of my Pentax lenses (the evolution of the Tak line) have hard stops and I believe the Rokkor-X 50/1.4 I have sitting on my desk at home has a hard stop too. It was practically universal until autofocus lenses came around. Maybe some shadetree mechanic worked on your lenses at some point.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nigga crab pollock posted:

How well do these cameras take video and how suited are they to it? People I know have been gushing about these types of cameras but as many are saying that they're low quality poo poo and that's not even in regards to video

The NEX-5N has some really notorious overheating issues. It won't do longer than 30m at a stretch, basically, then you have to give it a few minutes to cool back off. That said, the sensor is still loving amazing and if it's anything like the still mode then 3200 should produce very usable results.

It's not perfect, but given that I picked up the body for the equivalent of $200 I really can't complain. It beats the pants off the Zi-8 in terms of video quality and exposure accuracy. :shobon:

Martytoof posted:

Certain NEX cameras have a nasty overheating bug though, and the 5N is basically unusable for video unless you use external sound recording equipment unless you send it to Sony to be retrofitted.

Can you explain the sound thing? I haven't messed with it too much, just tried it out against my girlfriend's Zi-8.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Supposedly Ricoh is also working on a redesigned K-01 with a shorter flange distance, and it sounds like they're finally taking a crack at a FF DSLR.

I really wish we'd see someone build a telecompressor right in to the camera like the Nikon E430 and the Agfa ActionCam. That would be a fairly cheap way to get a "FF" body without the expensive sensor.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HPL posted:

Well that was fast:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-pictures-of-the-cheap-chinese-speed-booster-alternative-to-ship-from-may-already/

What I like most aside from the light gathering improvement is the fact that the adapter is shorter than a normal adapter. Hopefully this comes out in a variety of lens mounts soon. This is what Metabones should have done in the first place is put out an adapter with no AF or aperture controls. Keep it simple and affordable. I really don't want to adapt EF lenses to my NEX anyway because EF lenses are so big and heavy compared to manual focus glass. I think this is a case where Metabones' relationship with Conurus kind of burned them because they were probably obligated to put Conurus' technology in the new adapter.

Metabones hosed it up even worse by drastically limiting the lenses they supported. Pros aren't going to buy an adapter that doesn't provide good autofocus, consumers aren't going to buy something that doesn't support their nifty fifty or 35/2. It doesn't even make sense for a hobbyist who wants to adapt old manual glass since you have to tape off the connectors or something to keep the thing from shorting. In that sense this knockoff is going to actually be better than the original.

Hey China, now make one that goes from 6x7 -> APS-C for like a 4-stop gain, charge ten times as much and call it the TURBO SPEED XTREEM. I take engineering samples or checks as payment

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 20, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

whatever7 posted:

Its your money. Just so you know Pentax used to sell a full frame 35mm 2.0 for $200; Nikon's new 35mm 1.8 DX is also 200 ish.

Neither of those lenses have image stabilization built in, if he just wanted a fast prime the Sigma would do fine. f/2.8 isn't horrifically slow and the lens is optically pretty good.

$350 is a hell of a lot cheaper than its new competitor from Canon, the $850 35/2.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

moonduck posted:

I think the Speed Booster is initially and will remain most popular with videographers. People who own stuff like the Sony VG-30 but want to use EOS lenses with approximately the same field of view as on their 5D.

Probably, I'd think videography would be the place where anemic autofocus performance would hurt the least.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Frobbe posted:

I've been thinking of picking up the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN in E-Mount for my nex, there's apparently a never version out but from what i understand the only difference is in how it looks. I want this as fast walk around lens and the reviews i've read seem to agree that it works for this purpose. any reason not to get it?

It can rattle a bit if you shake it. Could be a problem with video. It's a nice enough lens though, especially given that you can get it for about $100 in the combo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Frobbe posted:

follow up question: are these things http://dx.com/p/hot-shoe-adapter-for-sony-nex3-nex5-nex-5n-cameras-black-168881 deadly to my camera or a must have accessory if i want to use remote flash triggers and similar hotshoe mounted things? the flash that came with my nex-5r is hilariously small.

You should be careful what flashes you put on it because some older flashes use high-voltage triggers (250v) that will fry modern flash circuits. In that case you would need a Safe-Sync too. It should be OK with modern triggers and such.

Here's the combo at BH Photo Video:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913513-REG/sigma_19mm_f_2_8_ex_dn.html

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Frobbe posted:

A new development, I've been offered the sony 16mm lens for what amounts to 174 USD (1000 DKK) which is close to half off new. How would that be, compared to the sigma 30mm? they seem to be the same speed.

24mm equivalent is nowhere near as useful a focal length as a ~45mm equivalent. A superwide pancake is interesting and all, but why Sony chose to launch with that as a kit lens instead of something like the Samsung 30/2 is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

maxmars posted:

Yesterday I have shot an entire theatrical play (eldest daughter's school) with my Nex c3 and the wonderful flash addon gadget I've seen on this thread.
I could operate my setup of remote flashes with the c3, it's been hilarious, best fun I had in a while.

This one? http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Trigger-Adapter-Receiver-Channels/dp/B00CAGPPDO/

This was probably in low light? How was the low light AF performance?