Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

smackfu posted:

Ethan Allen. Or anywhere else where you buy a bedroom set that is all nice wood and runs 5 grand. That's for traditional style, at least. For modern, probably pieces bought at a design showroom.

Design Within Reach.

That name is such a cruel mockery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

marb posted:

I share a property with smokers - they live in the basement, and I live on the second floor. It is a house, so the HVAC is shared. My main goal is that all of my possessions don't end up smelling like smoke. My strategy when the weather was warmer was to simply seal off my heat vent, keep my door closed and my windows often open. This worked well. However, now it is colder and I actually need the hot air from the vent, which seems like its being pumped directly from their apartment.

My question is whether putting a carbon filter over my vent would have any chance of eliminating the odour? I'm thinking something along the lines of this. Does anybody have any experience or ideas?

I'm not too concerned about the smoke from a health point, just really dislike the odour on my clothing, furniture and bedding.

1 - Move.
2 - Make them move.
3 - At least ask them to smoke outside.
4 - Lock a live skunk in their car and pound on the windows for 30 minutes. When they complain, remind them that turnabout is fair play. Repeat weekly until they get the idea (you will probably need fresh skunks).

The Mayo Clinic says you're pretty much out of luck, but you might be able to find some decent mitigation strategies.

Tobacco smoke is nasty stuff and it takes serious doing to get it out or keep it out of your space. I used the Accumulair versions of those carbon filters to clean up after the previous owner of my place, and they're incredibly good at getting the odor out of the air once the smoking has stopped, but nothing (not even giant fuckoff 3"-thick hospital-grade filters) will stop smoke on the first pass, not while there's a fresh and constant supply being pushed through. Change them regularly and you'll probably get some decent reduction; just be aware that the problem will not disappear.

Ionizers will make it worse - they'll get the smoke out of the air, but only by forcing it to stick to everything.

Ozone generators are irritants all on their own and are at best slightly less than useless, but you might use them in combination with the filters to get things down to an acceptable level.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 6, 2013

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

So we got a set of Real Adult Plates™ as a wedding present, and I have decided to retire our trusty but old and chipped IKEA plates because these ones are much nicer and prettier (Le Creuset stoneware).

The only problem is our new plates are just a little bit wider than our cabinets are deep, so the door won't shut the whole way. Is there a nice way we can display the plates that a) isn't a dedicated piece of furniture, and b) is portable? We rent and will be renting for the foreseeable future so we can't do anything permanent.

You might want something like these plate racks. Store them vertically. You'll need a little extra space so you can get them out again, of course, but it's a very handy solution for large dishware.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

fruition posted:

I mean, I'd love to find a sofa with a kiln dried solid wood frame, 8-way hand tied springs, and foam cushions. Would be nice if it were under $5k and lasted more than 5 years...am I dreaming?

Short of the "8-way springs" part, you can get everything you're asking from Simplicity Sofas for probably half that. They have a lifetime warranty on the frame and some of their cushion options, and if you don't love it they'll take it back for full refund within one year. Nice people, too, in all of my dealings with them.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ceebee posted:

I talked to the landlord and he told me that I would forfeit my security deposit (1 months rent, $1100) and I would have to pay the remainder of the 30 day notice from today (June 16th-July 15th) which would be about $550. I'm curious about the validity of this and whether or not I might be able to avoid having to not only forfeit my security deposit but pay for half a month that I will already be gone by (I plan on being completely out of here by June 30th).

Even if those are the terms of the lease, that's pretty dumb. Under those circumstances you could just pay the full month of July, get your deposit back at the end, and come out $550 ahead. If nothing else, talk to him about doing a walkthrough at the end of June, confirming that everything is shipshape, and taking the security deposit in lieu of last month's rent.

I suspect he's trying to screw you over, though.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

HondaCivet posted:

Any advice on finding someone to take over my lease? I've got an ad on Craigslist with pictures already and I've been stalking the Housing Wanted ads but I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm near downtown in Portland, OR which is supposedly a tight rental market generally. My landlord says the market is really lovely right now or something because she's had two similar rooms open for over a month. Also this building is somewhat fancy so the rent is above average a bit. Is there anything else I can do or am I stuck waiting until summer or whenever it is that people actually start going outside again? I've had zero responses and it's been up since Monday.

Edit: To be clear this is not a sublet, they would take over the rest of my lease with their name on it.

Do you have a lease-break provision? Typically (around here at least) it's typically "30 days notice + two months' rent" or something like that. If so, you're basically out that money one way or the other, so work to save what you can. Try offering 1/2 month free rent or "the rest of the month" and you'll probably get more attention.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

HondaCivet posted:

If I get someone to take over the lease I won't be breaking it so won't have to pay that fee. That's kind of the idea.

Stanley Goodspeed and photomikey are saying basically the same thing I am. The problem with "the idea" is that, if you can't find someone, you're out some amount of money, one way or another. You may not have a "Pay nothing, get out free" card. Your options look like this:

1 - Pay the lease-break fee.
2 - Offer some portion of the lease-break fee to get someone in faster.
3 - Just keep renting until your lease runs out (probably more expensive, but if your new place can wait, maybe not a bad idea).
4 - Keep paying your rent for 1, 2, 3 months, maybe more, until someone comes along to take your unit. I don't know about your relationship with your landlord, but I doubt she'll fill your space for you if a tenant comes looking at one of her other rooms. Why shouldn't she try to get both rents, especially since she knows yours might sit idle for a while, too?

If you're thinking "I don't want to pay anything; I just want to leave", well, best of luck to you. If you want to get out quickly with as much money in your pocket as possible, then maybe you should consider cutting your losses and throwing down a few bills to attract interest.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Xandu posted:

I have a handful of nice paintings in my apartment. They're not worth a huge amount of money, but are more than a couple of thousand dollars. Is it worth it to get it insured or is that kind of thing more for large, really expensive collections?

"More than a couple thousand dollars" sounds like it would be worth calling the company for your existing renter's policy and seeing if they would be covered, and at least pricing out a separate rider if they're not. It's often pretty cheap - I used to have a $5000 "collectibles" rider for $25/year or something like that.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

RCarr posted:

Best recommendation to take care of ants? I've been noticing a stray one here and there in my kitchen. Nothing crazy, but I want to take care of it ASAP.

I've already obsessively cleaned every surface and make sure to continue to do so.

Terro baits do the trick if you're patient. You leave them where the ants are, the ants swarm the baits, bring the poison back to the nests, and die a day or two later. Other ants follow their lead, as ants do. I've found it takes up to two weeks to get rid of the whole colony.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

babydonthurtme posted:

We're on the lookout for a couch that is just big enough for my husband to lie down on comfortably, but also small enough that it can fit through tight doorways etc and not eat up half our living room. That or it comes disassembled so we can get it in that way.

Simplicity Sofas has your back. They're a little on the expensive side, but in the "good solid couch" kind of way, not the "designer furniture" way, and they're really easy to move and put together. A child could do it (and they have some really cute videos of kids doing exactly that).

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

babydonthurtme posted:

Are these people for real? They're way out of budget for what we need but godamnit, after two cross country moves in the last year they are selling exactly what we want. I was all set to just suck it up and go IKEA and maybe replace whatever we end up with in a couple years, but now I just want to save up for this :ohdear:

Yeah, they're for real! I got mine for a similar reason, and it's great. It's really high-quality furniture, built in that Carolinas furniture alley. You wouldn't know it was modular unless you saw it coming apart.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 1, 2016

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

babydonthurtme posted:

Well then, I guess I know what we're doing-- cheap IKEA sofa to tide us over, then we'll eventually get one of those. I really like modular furniture-- the only desk we have is my half of an old elfa setup that's basically followed us around on all our moves because most of it can be easily flat packed. My main concern is always sturdiness, but they seem to have that taken care of.

They're a seriously great company, and they include full lifetime warranty on frame construction and springs, with a one-year return window. If you don't think it's sturdy enough for you, I'm sure they'll be happy to talk to you and either make it right or take it back.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ciaphas posted:

Huh, odd I hadn't considered that. The idea leaves me feeling vaguely afraid of a break in getting me into trouble, but I guess I'd have worse problems if that happened anyway.

Set up a couple small charges (memberships are great for this) to auto-bill to the card, then destroy the physical card and forget about it until it renews. Keep it paid off, rinse and repeat.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ashcans posted:

I think you are pretty much required to put either a mounted head (deer or bear preferred) or a shield and crossed swords above that fireplace.

If you want to lighten up the atmosphere (perhaps too much), use one of these: http://zooguu.com/products_softsculpture.html

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sab0921 posted:

Design Within Reach is such a bullshit name

Mocking Bird posted:

Design within Reach: wealthy people stuff for the merely rich

Design Within (Whose?) Reach

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Anne Whateley posted:

Where do you live that that's a thing? In NYC, you're supposed to get the interest minus 1%. With interest rates what they are, that translates to not getting any interest.

I'm surprised we haven't heard about landlords interpreting this as "the landlord is entitled to take 1% and the bank interest belongs to the tenant", therefore with interest <1% they get to shave off some principal every year.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Beeb posted:

Bit of a specific request, but I'm moving soon and need to pack up my PC for car transport. Finding boxes shouldn't be too terribly hard, but where can I get some styrofoam blocks large enough I can cut to shape for padding?

I've got some premade foam corner blocks that are perfect for that sort of thing if you want 'em. Either cut a box to fit or use bubble wrap to fill in the extra space in the box from there?

fake edit: Basically these things.

real edit: Barring that, your local Home Despot should have sheet foam or be able to get it for you.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Beeb posted:

What should I do about some old platter drives I've got? Anti static bag and some bubble wrap?

Anti-static is good, but for padding, I think you want something denser, like egg crate foam.