Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I've been told i'm best off finding a Realtor to assist in finding a place to live in Boston.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a realtor or how to best find one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I'll be working at Brigham and Women's Hospital (Postdoc), and sharing a place with my wife who will be looking for a job in the area. My future boss told me his other postdocs tend to live in Brighton/Allston, Brookline, or Cambridge. This is by nature a temp job so we are interested in renting.

We would very much like to live in a row house/brownstone/townhouse given the choice, but also want to keep to around $1400/month on rent and don't know what is or is not feasible. The highest we are willing to go right now is $1700 a month.

I'll check out the website though, thanks

Hawkeye fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 6, 2011

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I'll make sure we keep JP in our searches, thanks!

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
To the folks that recommended JP center:

Thanks! We got a nice place that is just off of center street, and we can actually see the pond from our living room. The price was better than we thought it would be too, though a little smaller than we had hoped (1.5 bedrooms instead of 2).

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Rental agents are complete wastes of space, and I believe that they only exist to help owners avoid discrimination laws. They never provide any sort of useful service to renters, and 95% of the time you are basically paying them to get the gently caress out of the way and let you rent a place.

They were totally unheard of in Atlanta, but you basically can't rent in Boston (where I am now) without using one. I wish that there was a good way to report them to someone for all the skeezy poo poo they do.

I just rented a place in Boston through a rental agent. It had some good parts (they knew about a place not yet on the market but would be soon - and actually held it long enough for me to drive back up and look at it and decide if I wanted it before they would accept a deposit from others). But, it also had some bad parts.

I have a question for the thread. In my signed lease, there is a signed addendum page where it stated we will park in the garage. When I got there and talked to the maitenance guy (not the landlord), all of a sudden I am parking in the driveway. I don't quite get it. Since it is signed in the lease that I must park in the garage, can I bitch about it and park in there? We would prefer it so we don't have to shovel snow off the car.

Also, kudos for recommending Jamaica Plain moving thread. I really enjoyed walking around the neighborhood and checking out all the restaurants/shops etc.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Ashcans posted:

why did he say you should park in the driveway rather than the garage?

We would love to move back to JP (we're in Somerville now, which is ok but not the same). Seeing as you apparently had a decent agent, can I ask who you used to get the place?

The maintenance guy told me to park in the driveway because the landlord decided to park some (spare?) cars of his in the garage. Not that it was unsafe or anything like that to park in. Once we get back into Boston I'll have to go talk with him some.

I ended up working with Joe from http://www.jprentals.com

Only First and Last month's rent due (no security deposit), and i had to pay only half-fee, which apparently they do for most of the landlords that they worked with. They claimed that most of JP is on a may lease schedule, so apparently in april/may they get tons of places listed and tons closing around then. It was rough finding a place in November/December with a Jan 1 move-in date.

As an aside, yes, the website is stuck in the 90's. The agent (there is really only 1, Joe, and the Boss Valerie) were nice to deal with, and responded to emails/texts quite fast.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
How do I go about negotiating for a new oven to be put into my apartment?

While this one works, the top range is so-so at best (and this is after replacing all the elements).

The oven runs at minimum 100F above what it states it is, but sometimes still jumps up 150-200+F over what it states it is.

As someone who likes to cook, it's rather frustrating. So, we would like to try and get a new one. One thing to point out is that the current oven is comically small (~20inch?) and there really isn't room for a bigger one without knocking out a cabinet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

So I'm moving to Massachusetts from out-of-state. Do I have this in the right order? I'm a bit confused with everything I read:

1. Convert license to MA license
2. Change car insurance to MA
3. Change registration

Or am I supposed to change the registration first?

Go to the RMV with papers from the insurance company saying you signed up for MA insurance. Then you get your new license and register the car at the same time.

Also bring the car title, and look up the tax stuff. There is some form you fill out to show you bought the car outside MA and paid whatever state tax on it or they will ask for tax on the car purchase.

The key is they won't register the car without proof you have MA insurance.