Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

This has probably happened to a lot of people but I can't find a good answer anywhere . . . I'm applying to apartments right now. My current landlord is fine with me as far as I know but I don't really want anyone talking to my landlord before that (nothing serious like missed payment, more of a dispute about apartment condition when we moved out). Should I list the bad reference anyway and hope that things go OK? Or should I skip them and list the landlord before that? I just wonder if the place I'm applying to will notice/care about the gap in rental history if I skip the bad reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Xandu posted:

Do a lot of apartments require a rental history? I've never had to deal with that before.

Most apartments I've applied for, at least around here, want to know at least your current place and the last place you lived at. I asked around a little more and it sounds like they mostly just check your history for evictions, missed rent, etc. rather than directly calling the landlord for a personal reference, so I think I'll be OK. Sometimes they don't even bother doing anything with the info as long as your credit's OK.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Any advice on finding someone to take over my lease? I've got an ad on Craigslist with pictures already and I've been stalking the Housing Wanted ads but I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm near downtown in Portland, OR which is supposedly a tight rental market generally. My landlord says the market is really lovely right now or something because she's had two similar rooms open for over a month. Also this building is somewhat fancy so the rent is above average a bit. Is there anything else I can do or am I stuck waiting until summer or whenever it is that people actually start going outside again? I've had zero responses and it's been up since Monday.

Edit: To be clear this is not a sublet, they would take over the rest of my lease with their name on it.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 6, 2015

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Zaftig posted:

Have you shared a link to the Craigslist posting in your city thread on SA or a city subreddit? I actually found housing through reddit before, as weird as it seems- it feels a little less anonymous when you can look through someone's post history.

Good ideas, thanks! I dunno about directly posting the link but maybe at least get the word out.

Yond Cassius posted:

Do you have a lease-break provision? Typically (around here at least) it's typically "30 days notice + two months' rent" or something like that. If so, you're basically out that money one way or the other, so work to save what you can. Try offering 1/2 month free rent or "the rest of the month" and you'll probably get more attention.

If I get someone to take over the lease I won't be breaking it so won't have to pay that fee. That's kind of the idea.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

photomikey posted:

I know this is less than ideal, but you can drop the rent $25 or $50/mo or something, and pay it yourself.

It's not a sublet, it's a lease transfer. Once I hand it off to someone else, I'm done and it's just between the landlord and them. Since I am not the landlord I have no control over the lease terms. The only way I could "pay their rent" is send them a check every month.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Hello! So I'm trying to move to Seattle in the next few months. I'd be looking at studios and one bedrooms because like many goons I am alone, so alone. I had a couple questions:

1) Is trying to find a new rental in December, especially mid or late December, a really dumb idea? I don't personally have any holiday plans because my family is all far away but of course most people do. I could bump things to January I guess.

2) How come pretty much all online apartment listings are for openings that start RIGHT NOW or in a couple weeks? How do I find openings more than a month ahead of time?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

That's what I figured. So I should pretty much just put in my own 30 day notice and go from there? Am I going to be screwed by picking the middle of December?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Eponine posted:

So at least in Chicago, winter is the off-season for rentals and I've gotten really good deals by doing apartment shopping and moving during the winter rather than in the summer. A lot of heat here is radiated through the building, so they'd rather have the unit full and paying some rent rather than partially heat an empty unit and not collect anything on it.

Alternatively, just live in this modern hellscape.

Nice! I've heard that a few times. I haven't actually heard anyone say I'll be homeless if I try to move around that time so I think I'm worrying too much.

That thing isn't a terrible idea in my mind. It sounds stupid but modern housing is soul crushingly isolating if you're single, new to a city, etc. so I can see the appeal.