Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
My landlord wants my moving company to list them as a certificate holder on their certificate of insurance. Is that even a thing? It sounds kind of absurd for a one-time move. I already provided them with proof of insurance.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have moved once a year from rental to rental for the past 6 years using professional movers and i have never once encountered this.

Yeah New York City is just weird I think. Ended up calling the movers and apparently they deal with this all the time.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Am I right to avoid rentals that don't have in unit laundry like the plague? I've got a list of about 12 places to look at at the moment, and the main reason things are in my '3rd place' group is lack of washer dryer. It seems to cut about 80% of the rentals in the area I'm looking at out of the equation when I filter it, but it sounds like an unnecessary headache I don't want to deal with.

Having one in unit is a significant quality of life improvement, but depending on where you live, it's also a significant premium in terms of cost. I say at the bare minimum there should be laundry in the building.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think the general rule is that they can't hold back your security deposit for normal wear and tear, only for excessive damage. If you took any pictures before you moved in that could help.

As you said, it's a pain in the rear end sometimes to get back your security deposit, especially if you're now out of state, so it may not be worth the effort. Landlords tend to rely on this and know most people won't fight it. If this guy is just an amateur, then maybe paying a lawyer a couple hundred to write a sternly worded letter demanding it back might convince him.