Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I know this got asked a lot in the old thread and maybe it should go in the OP, but I'm currently on jailbroken 4.2.6 (CDMA) and interested in upgrading - do I just upgrade through iTunes and re-JB as normal, or do I need to do anything different to avoid losing jailbroken apps and settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

American Jello posted:

welp there's no reason to jailbreak anymore wrap it the gently caress up jailbreakailures. multitasking, wifi tethering and now lockinfo. all hail the mighty stebe jorbs
Seriously, the old title of 'giving Apple new feature ideas' wasn't kidding around. Glad to see good ideas getting integrated into the OS.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Biodome posted:

http://lifehacker.com/5821922/new-version-of-iswipe-gets-better-features-and-a-name-change

Anybody that's used Swype on android phones. Now you can get it on the iPhone. Works pretty good and I like it better than the standard keyboard.
In case I'm not the only one wondering: you have to add http://wynd.x10.mx as a source in Cydia for this to show up.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So, um.

I loaded up Slice It! today for a quick game and it looks like it's somehow been changed to what looks like Korean? Everything else on the phone is normal, and I'm not even jailbroken.

Does anybody happen to know if there's a library file I can pull out of the phone with iPhone Explorer and edit to fix this? I'd rather not delete the app and lose my progress if I can help it :(

TACD fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 11, 2011

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Revol posted:

YES! You’ll Be Able To Get Siri On iPhone 4!

The TUAW article says you can expect Siri on non-4S devices in weeks instead of months.
So much for my 'iOS 5 has everything I want without jailbreaking' stance.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kailtor posted:

So, I'm making the transition from my jailbroken iPhone 4 to my non-jailbroken iPhone 4S. I'd rather not restore from backup because my 4 was already exhibiting some annoying issues and I'd rather nothing dirty up my brand new shiny 4S.

That said, I have a lot of game saves I'd like to transfer. I also have DataDeposit'd save info on my dropbox. Is there a way to inject this data into my 4S in a sneaky way at the moment, or do I need to wait for a jailbreak?
I've mentioned it before in this thread, but when I wanted to keep my app data and un-jailbreak I used iPhone Explorer (now apparently iExplorer) to copy the app data for each app onto my HDD, and then the free trial of Phone Disk (made by the same company) to copy it back. If you only copy the app data and not the app itself the free trial will easily suffice.

HOWEVER, I have noticed a couple of apps (Stair Dismount, Cut the Rope come to mind) that didn't seem to keep their data despite doing this. It's kind of laborious but AFAIK this (or equivalent) is pretty much the only way. Apple-approved per-app backup is sorely, sorely needed in my opinion.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Oh, awesome. Thanks!

On that note - if I backup using iCloud, can I still keep an occasional backup on my PC? I notice that iTunes only lets you choose one or the other.
You can. Just right-click on the device in iTunes and you can select 'Backup' from the drop down menu. It just won't backup automatically.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Xenomorph posted:

** iFaith lets you rip a partial SHSH blob from your device of the currently-installed firmware, even if Apple is no longer signing that version of iOS.
Wait, what does it mean to have a 'partial' SHSH blob? Would this let you restore to that iOS version or not?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

status posted:

I thought it was a hardware issue about a year ago, so I replaced my home button. The problem returned though. :(
You replaced the home button on its own?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mewse posted:

i really hope paypal doesn't freeze the drat account :ohdear:
It's kind of stupid for them to be using PayPal to be honest, everybody knows how much they love to shut accounts down and it's only a matter of time before they decide it's 'hacking / criminal activities / international terrorism' and shutter the account.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nill posted:

^^^^^ This is most likely what happened to you. vvvvvv
Sometime last year I believe there was an uptick in people getting flagged for tethering even with low data usage. Turns out some carriers started checking the TTL (time to live) on packets being sent to identify tethering. Normally, the hop from your device to the phone would drop that by 1, making your tethered traffic stand out, no 'deep inspection' required.

Almost immediately, all the tether apps issued a patch to simply add 1 back to TTL.

So, it's pretty much back to being a non-issue if you're not a bandwidth hog.
Interesting. So, say I was able to legitimately purchase that tethering app that went up in the App Store for about 6 hours recently, I should be able to tether to my hearts' content? Since its a wired tether and presumably just looks like regular phone data usage?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

frumpsnake posted:

SuaveHD isn't a bad theme, but once you theme your device you enter the world of hunting around for and/or making replacement icons for all your apps.

The macthemes.net forums is full of random lockscreens and theme packs if you're willing.
I miss SuaveHD. But I don't think I'm ready to JB again just yet.

Is anybody working on updating Winterboard? It's kind of absurd that themes are so universally loved among the JB community but the tool for doing it is now fully 2 OS point versions behind (unless I've missed an update).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shadowhand00 posted:

One of the interesting things about UIs is that when something happens too fast, consumers don't appreciate it. For instance, when you load up a list on a webpage, if the page loads up too fast, customers don't believe the results listed are valuable. When there is some lag and "busy" signals associated, the results are considered more valuable.

I suspect this is why the animation for iOS is the way it is - it provides people with that sense of movement within the interface.
Not suggesting you're lying but do you have a link to a study on this? I love this kind of thing and would love to read about some of the research.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shadowhand00 posted:

I don't have a study unfortunately, but its similar to what's being said here:

http://www.useit.com/papers/responsetime.html
Awesome, thanks :) I love Jakob Nielsen's website.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Not sure if this is an iOS problem or a jailbreaking problem but sometime today, seemingly randomly, the little location services icon appeared in my status bar and hasn't left since. I've rebooted the phone, closed out all running processes, and even done a DFU reset and it's still there. Any idea why it's happening?

Edit: Just realized that the "local weather" section of the weather app is missing. Strange.
Did you set a location-based Reminder?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

wizard sticks posted:

I have no idea how to fix it. It's 1 month out of AppleCare so if it's bricked I am screwed. Why couldn't I just stick with 4.3.5 :(
I know you said you fixed it but FYI there's an unwritten 45-day grace period on AppleCare in which you should be able to get a free replacement if you can make up even a passable sob story. Unless you get an absolute rear end of an FRS.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Question: Are there any jailbreak tools to turn an iPad into a multi-user device? I know there's no iPad The Third JB yet but when one shows up I'd hop on it immediately for this alone.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's ten dallors for a clock that does nothing I thought it made you have a background fir ur itouch when u unlock it but it does nothing!!! For 10 dallors

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I think they really need to implement a 'Developer rating' that shows up on every app. Something like an aggregate of all ratings for all apps by that developer, so that dicks like this who just churn out scams nonstop are plainly visible.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wolf on Air posted:

Speaking of "less buggy" I'm now on my third iPhone 4S (two warranty replacements) and guess what, it still echoes so badly when not using a headset that I can't even make a 10 second call because the other party just about goes insane.

Edit: development: I unplugged my battery case 2 mm and echo goes away. I turn on charging from said battery case while using it normally, echo goes away. This is pretty :allears:
Sounds like you need to get a replacement / different battery case instead of endlessly swapping your phone for something that's clearly not a phone issue.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Diabolik900 posted:

WinterBoard has been notoriously buggy since iOS4.
Am I mistaken or isn't WinterBoard exactly the same program that's been around since iOS 3? I don't understand why somebody doesn't just remake the whole thing with iOS 6 compatibility and rake in the megabux.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Edit: ^^ Better answer.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Biodome posted:

If you can't, I don't think it matters. I took my phone in to get replaced once and completely forgot I had jailbroken it. I had a cydia icon right on the first page, too. The genius took it to the back, witnessed the problem it had and then gave me a new one. Maybe they don't care.
With jailbreaking it's pretty much dependant on which FRS/Genius you get. Officially if it's jailbroken you're not supposed to touch it but some people (often the ones with JB phones themselves ;) ) don't care all that much, especially if it's obviously a hardware issue.

If you can it's always worth restoring to factory settings before you go in anyway because for most issues that's the first thing they'll have you do anyway.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

dox posted:

This isn't true. I've gone in to get my phone serviced and been denied service because "any of my problems could be directly connected to the jailbreak". They refused to even look at it until I restored it to factory settings. On this trip, I did that and then they promptly told me they would not replace my phone anyway... so restore and backup your phone before getting it serviced.
Just because your experience was different doesn't mean he's lying. Some Geniuses / FRSes just don't care if your phone is jailbroken, others will be wishing it had been declared illegal so they could get you arrested. But ultimately if you're going in hoping for / expecting a phone swap there's no reason to have not done a full restore to factory settings first.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hahaa apparently he's interested in cracking the Wii U though! :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Plug the serial number in at Apple's support page and it'll tell you what it is.

• Locked thread