Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

adm posted:

Has anyone found a way to hide the Newsstand icon yet? I tried hiding the icon through SBSettings but it doesn't appear in the list. I'm wondering if maybe there is a way by editing/removing some file or folder...?

e: hmm, appears that you can quickly stuff it inside a new folder. I'll give this a shot.

Just a heads up: iOS crashes if you try to open Newsstand from inside the folder. It shouldn't be much of a problem, but keep that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I don't remember seeing it posted here, but it seems like pod2g has developed a working untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1. Still no love for iPhone 4S/iPad 2 though :(

The guy works like a beast. http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/
\/ edit: I am blind

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 14, 2011

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Just to be sure, Absinthe is only for Mac right? Meaning Windows/Linux is going to have to wait?

SBSettings is so close yet so far...

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Holy balls, Barrel is my new favourite app :swoon:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Apparently it's up on some other repos but I think I'll just wait until BigBoss refreshes.

You can add this source: "cydia.ovihost.com" (I got it from a youtube comment) if you're impatient like me.

Jesus Christ, all these jailbreak tweaks are loving awesome. Its sad that most of my friends just jailbreak for free apps :negative:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Quick question before I start jailbreaking my 4S. Is there a way to preserve my 1.0.13 baseband or am I forced to upgrade it? Is there an upcoming unlock that uses the 5.0.1 firmware baseband?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
iPhone jailbroken! No problems other than it insisting my Apple ID was wrong (it wasn't). Now hurry up and download the drat packages Cydia my eyes are starting to hurt without my precious f.lux :cry:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Denim Dude posted:

Are cydias servers still being hammered? People are saying that they have installed sbsettings but im getting 500 internal server errors all over the place. I think I must have tried a hundred times over the last 24 hours. I'm starting to think maybe my cydia install is broken.

You're not the only one. It took me hours to get all my old stuff installed yesterday and more tries than I'd like to admit. I'd give it another 2 days before the servers stop getting pounded into the ground.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

I installed NCSettings but it doesn't seem to do anything. Nothing shows up in the notification drawer. Do I need to have SBSettings installed ad well or something? I've rebooted twice

Did you enable NCSettings in Notifications? Settings -> Notifications -> Enable NCSettings.

I checked it out and while it's really nice, I feel like I'm missing some stuff like my RemoveBackground toggle.

Edit: Does anyone know a way to dock apps like in SBsettings? I don't feel safe having iFile on the Springboard where people can easily see it.

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 27, 2012

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Does anyone else have this issue or a fix?

I'm still on a 5.0.1 JB, and whenever I delete an app from my device, after it is deleted I get a bunch of white icons that show up and I need to respring and then put my original icon setup back in place. Not the biggest deal but just curious if I'm not alone.

I have this on both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 on my 4S. Everytime I add or delete something from the Springboard a bunch of white demo icons come up as well as my SBSettings-hidden apps/icons like iFile and Activator. A respring always fixes it so I'm not too worried but I'd love to see a fix for this.

Also, a lot of people in this thread have posted about problems with the JB a few days after doing it which is making me really worried. Fortunately nothing's come up on my iDevice but still :ohdear:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

JayKay posted:

What's the average time between new software/hardware release and untethered jailbreak?

It depends on what exploits can be found. The comex exploit was finally fixed in iOS6, so now hackers have to start searching for new vulnerabilities. The iOS 5/4S jailbreak was released in January this year (and pod2g delayed the software jailbreak to help out the 4S users).

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

cryptoclastic posted:

To keep my phone safe when iOS 6 comes out I don't need to do anything special right? Just simply don't update?
Yep, just remember you won't be able to restore it to 5.X once the firmware signing window closes.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Jesus that was fast. I know we're still months away from a public release but this is a Day 1 jailbreak on a new processor and firmware, goddamn.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

FLOOR posted:

Erasing question:

I have an iPhone 4 with 5.0.1 installed and jailbroken that I'm trying to sell. When I try to erase all contents and settings, it just goes right to the spinning white circle, and when I reset the phone, it's as if nothing happened at all (everything is intact as before). Is there any other way to erase the phone so that I can re-jailbreak it to 5.0.1 or 5.1.1?

Er, you're not using the "Erase All Content+Settings" option in the iPhone Settings app are you? Because you're not supposed to do that. I don't know the details, but it fucks up the jailbreak process somehow.

If you have the SHSH blobs saved, you can Restore in iTunes shift-click select a 5.1.1 ipsw (not too sure on the exact process since I've never had to downgrade). That will unjailbreak, restore, and update your iPhone to 5.1.1 so you can re-jailbreak it again.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
AFAIK, SHSH blobs are personalized, so you can only use the ones you've saved yourself. And since the 5.1.1 signing window's closed, you won't be able to get to 5.1.1, but 5.0.1 is still possible. I believe TinyUmbrella lets you save blobs to your computer and explains the process so search that up.

I'm pretty sure a jaibreak dev posted something about not using the Erase option on Twitter. Googling it shows a bunch of people having the same boot loop problem like this.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

FLOOR posted:

So, would saving my current 5.0.1 SHSH and restoring to it with iTunes bring me to a fresh 5.0.1?\

Edit - apparently tinyumbrella has my blobs from 4.0 to 5.1, cool. So I'm assuming that I can just download the 5.0.1 firmware and restore to it, then jailbreak from there.

Yep, make sure you shift-click the Restore button so iTunes will let you select the 5.0.1 ipsw file.

What I'm not sure about is the actual restore process for unsigned firmwares. I don't know how the blobs interact with iTunes so maybe someone else can chime in. Other than that, it looks good!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
This might be a bit too nitpicky, but the Cydia icon on the final Home screen looks kinda off. The spacing between Settings and Cydia is different from the spacing of the icons above it.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

cremnob posted:

Is there any real reason to jailbreak anymore? What are the must-have apps that you can only get by jailbreaking?

My 'essentials' list consists of SBSettings, F.lux, Remove/Kill Background, and Zephyr. There's a lot of other fun little tweaks like Barrel, Springtomize, and FakeClockUp but those first 4 apps are a must-have for me.

Some people also swear by BiteSMS and LockInfo but I haven't used them myself.

I remember someone posting a screenshot that had Android-like toggles (Wifi/airplane mode/etc.) on the lockscreen, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know what that app was called?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Don't forget @pod2g!

SBSettings will work at the lockscreen, and you can throw the 3G/4G/cellular data toggle on there. NCSettings uses Notification Center which requires you to pass the lockscreen first.

My own questions: Just to be sure, is jailbreaking 6.X.X still as easy as 'Restore from Backup -> Run JB program -> Done?' How is everyone backing up their Cydia stuff? And there's no sign of a iPhone 4S/5 baseband unlock right?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
There's a Remove Background toggle for SBSettings, but I don't know about Notification Center.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I know this is a :rolleyes: topic, but has anyone's battery life on iOS 6 been distressingly bad? I'm not talking about the "my battery percentage went from 90% to 88% in 2 minutes" whining. My 4S has gone from ~70% to 20% in under 4 hours, and it was on standby the entire time with no backgrounded apps.

Also, my phone has been randomly respringing/restarting, which has never happened before until yesterday. The only new apps I've installed on iOS 6 are Kill background (Remove background SBSettings toggle doesn't work) and Autoprotect so I'm not sure if it's the evasi0n JB being buggy or a poorly iOS6-ported Cydia app.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Bob Harris posted:

You only posted the new apps you've installed but do you by chance have IntelliscreenX or NCColors installed? Those both have been destroying my available ram and making my phone reboot about twice an hour. I also have a 4S.

Not those specific apps, but those symptoms are similar to mine. RAM's steadily decreasing on its own, random reboots, and the battery drain is like I'm constantly playing Infinity Blade 2. Off the top of my head I have: Activator, Autoprotect for iOS 6, Barrel, f.lux, Snes9x emulator, Fakeclockup, KillBG, Springtomize, TCP optimizer, and Zephyr. Plus the standard SBSettings and the like.

e: and the 4S just shut down in under an hour from 20%. It'd be nice if I knew what was causing it. I wasn't even using the drat thing :mad:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Out of curiosity, what does libstatusbar do? I remember having it on 5.1.1 as a dependency for another package, but not on 6.1 and nothing seems to have changed.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I don't know if this will help, but have you tried searching for the "Bug Fix: Stuck Pages" and "Bug Fix: Duplicate Icons" packages in Cydia? I think they were supposed to fix icon layout-reset bugs of some sort.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
You're right on both counts. From what I've heard they still have a couple exploits, but can only be used on a dev account (and thus aren't publicly available). The team has also said they're going to wait for iOS7 so they don't 'waste' their existing exploits.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Bummey posted:

Is there any sort of ad blocking software? I don't mean web adverts in Safari, but iAds and other intrusive and annoying poo poo banners an pop ups in apps.

I think someone posted a method of blocking those ad banners several months ago in this thread, but I'm too lazy to go through the thread :effort:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

Some of the jailbreak apps/tweaks that are now built into iOS 7:

1) DeepEnd / 3DBoard (3D / parallax wallpaper)
2) SBSettings / NCSettings (swipe for quick toggles)
3) Infinifolders (infinite folder items, folder scrolling)
4) FolderEnhancer (full-screen folder)
5) BlurriedNCBackground (Notification Center background)
6) Prot0type (cellular signal strength theme)
7) Auxo / Cardswitcher (webOS-style app switcher)
8) Safari Omnibar (single search/address bar in Safari)
9) IntelliscreenX (Notification items on lock screen)
10) Swipeback (swipe to go back)
11) Bulletin (access Notification Center on Lock screen)
12) Torch (flashlight button)

Wow, with all this in iOS7 it might actually convince me to not JB this time. iFile will never make it in and I use it a fair bit, but if I can get NCSettings without having to jailbreak it might be worth the trade-off.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

c0burn posted:

http://evasi0n.com/

iOS 7 jailbreak is out.

Wow, and just in time for the holidays too!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

I haven't, I always wait a while to make sure nothing is broken. I'm just wondering if there's any truth to this because if there is, drat...

Honestly, a lot of these accusations look like fear-mongering to me. The Chinese piracy store is bad enough plus the fact the evad3rs never mentioned any partnership prior to this discovery pretty much destroyed the credibility they built up over the past several years. However, it looks like people are making up stuff about 'evil Chinese/foreign hackers' to scare people even more.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Klungar posted:

Since the OP is still all slashed out, can someone please give me the list of steps of upgrading from 6.1.2 JB to 7.0.4 JB? 6.1.2 was my first jailbreaking experience, and I still don't really feel comfortable handling this without a helping hand.

I jailbroke my 4S by restore-upgrading. OTA updates and resetting from your iDevice will cause problems so restoring is probably the safest method.

1. Backup your iDevice on iCloud/iTunes. iFunbox-transfer any jailbroken files (ROMs, save files, etc.) to save them since they won't be saved.

(Optional) 2. Make a list of Cydia tweaks you have and the source repos. Most of them aren't compatible with iOS 7 yet, but having to hunt down every single tweak by memory will be very frustrating.

3. Connect your iDevice to your computer and Restore it via iTunes. This will also upgrade the device to 7.0.4.

4. After the initial set-up (once you're on the 7.0.4 springboard), run evasi0n. Make sure your device doesn't have a passcode lock on it (apparently it can cause issues). Follow the steps onscreen and you're done!

edit: vvv Follow those much-more-indepth instructions instead!

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 1, 2014

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

ibntumart posted:

Chaining off of that, I'm pretty sure you need to do an iTunes restore to complete a phone unlock, so that ship might have sailed already (unless and until an iOS 8 jailbreak comes out).

An ILEXRAT restore will keep your jailbreak (and Cydia) while restoring everything else so it'll trigger the phone unlock. I used it to restore my phone and it worked perfectly, but it was on an older iOS 7 firmware (7.0.4?).

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

ibntumart posted:

I have ILEXRAT, too, but have never had to use it. Did you have to connect to iTunes during the process?

It's been more than 6 months since I last used it, but I don't think an iTunes connection was necessary for the restore process. I did connect it to iTunes afterwards (when the phone was in 'factory set-up' phase) in order to use an iTunes backup though.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I read somewhere that Apple is already testing 8.0.1, so it'd be best to wait for that before burning an exploit. Based on past expectations I would expect a jailbreak in 4-6 months.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

F.lux is what is going to keep me fighting tooth and nail to jailbreak.

I literally cannot look at the phone screen when f.lux is disabled during evening hours. There are some other neat tweaks that are nice to have but f.lux is definitely the main reason I'm jailbreaking at this point.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

bobfather posted:

Minimal Hosts Blocker with the Hosts File Flipswitch.

Does this block youtube ads as well? I currently have adblocker 2, which does but it doesn't seem to block cydia or in-app ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

bobfather posted:

Could if you have all the pieces right. Small correction though - the new jailbreaks are all semi-untethered. You load a jailbreak app onto your phone that expires every 7 days unless you have a paid developer account, and then the app expires after 365 days.

I haven't paid any attention to jailbreaking since IOS8, and that was a full untethered jailbreak so I'm unfamiliar with semi-untethered. So without a paid dev account, I'd have to connect my iphone to a PC and redo the whole jailbreak process every week? The unjailbroken-on-reboot isn't a big deal but having to redo the whole thing every 7 days sounds annoying.

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 9, 2018

• Locked thread