Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so as someone who's never jailbroken before, what are the recommended tweaks and the like that people suggest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mr_Angry posted:

Sorry to come into this thread late but any idea of what to do when Cydia refuses to start? I did an update via iTunes to 9.3.3 and then installed PP via Safari and all worked well yet when I try to launch Cydia it just closes. I know I've been able to jailbreak as when I translate the Chinese characters from the Pangu app it says all was successful yet Cydia won't start.

Thanks for any suggestions that people have.

You need to run the Pangu app every time you reboot. Hit the circle, wait 10 seconds, lock your phone. Wait another twenty seconds for it to respring, and you're set.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I had a similar problem. Respringing caused a bootloop, so if I rejailbroke it would just go forever until I force reset into non-jailbroken mode. Had to restore. That's my only gripe with this jailbreak, there's no way to force a safe mode boot.

If you can get to the lock screen while jailbroken, powertap lets you respring into safe mode. saved my rear end when lockhtml4 hosed my home screen up.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

bobfather posted:

This isn't right.

No, it's quite correct. The 1.1 app initially installs with a 7 day Dev certificate, but upon opening the app you can set it to use an embedded certificate that lasts until April 2017. So not quite a year, but close enough.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

spongeworthy posted:

Calculator+

e: App Store

Yeah Calculator+ is the way to go here.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Blimpkin posted:

Question for you guys: I've just learned that batteries are covered under the 1 year limited warranty, if the battery's capacity is below 80%. They'll fix/repair it for free. Of course with a jailbreak this information is easy to retrieve, however, how am I supposed to use this information in an Apple Store? I'd have to remove the jailbreak for them to repair it. But I need the jailbreak to be able to prove it, can the Apple Store pull that information for me? Would saying I jail role simply to be able to grab information work?

I got this phone in late December so I have plenty of time to render the battery even more useless before I'd need to swap out. I'd probably wait until October just to maximize the replacement battery's life.

a replacement battery is like $15 bucks off amazon. I'd rather do that then worry about the apple store.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Blimpkin posted:

While I have a warranty I'd rather not void it physically.

Pretty sure replacing the battery doesn't void the warranty. At any rate there is no warranty sticker, so they couldn't know one way or another.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

so my old phone vanished under subway tracks. my new iphone 6s+ was on 9.1 thank Christ, however I'm now in the unenviable position of reinstalling all my tweaks.

I recall there being a tweak that set it so you could make your volume up/down appear not just on the status bar, but also on the top or middle edges of the side of the screen.

I also remember you could make it rainbow and that was dope af.

I'm pretty sure it's not StatusVolume or StatusHUD unless I'm missing something especially obvious.

e: it was minimal hud.

and man an unteathered jailbreak is way more convenient.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 18, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Super Deuce posted:

Better suited for a Reddit post or something, but whatever.

With the Snapchat ban poo poo that's happening, I discovered that while I have used Phantom for years, when the notices started I deleted the tweak, and traces of it. I didn't prevent other tweaks from touching Snapchat, like Eclipse, Activator, whatever. Today, with no notice other than the initial warning, I can no longer login to my main Snapchat account on my 9.0.2 jailbroken iPhone 6. I can login to a spare account I test with. However, I can login to my main account in safe mode. I went to the Snapchat unlock page to make sure that wasn't it, nothing.

The only interesting part is the safe mode thing.

This was me yesterday. What I did was disabled Snap+ and Xcon in iCleaner Pro, and then I was able to log-on fine. I have activator too, but didn't need to disable it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Super Deuce posted:

Man, I don't have Snap+ installed, and don't use Xcon. The hell could it be?

That I'm not sure about.

Try NoSub enabled for Phantom? It's no substrate mode for a specific app.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I'm on 9.1 so not gonna upgrade yet. Also not sure what saving your blobs does?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I think in this case it would let you downgrade and jailbreak again if the 10.1.1 jb isn't a thing but i totally forgot how all that poo poo worked

lotta post on reddit about blobs so....

But you wouldn't be downgrading? You'd be upgrading?

I don't understand the downgrade thing. Everyone who wants to be on 10.1.1 can be since the signing window is still open.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So nobody should upgrade to 10.1.1 if they already have a jailbreak, but it's super easy to save your SHSH2 blobs with this tool.

Basically, you want SHSH2 blobs to be able to upgrade to 10.1.1 after Apple stops signing the .ipsw. You can only upgrade to a specific FW version if Apple is signing that firmware. They're currently signing 10.1.1, which has a Proof of Concept exploit already written and open source. It'll probably get a jailbreak eventually.

However, it's probably going to take a bit of time for that to happen, time enough for Apple to stop signing 10.1.1, which I'm shocked they haven't done already.

The reason why you want the SHSH2 blobs, is because there is a tool called Prometheus which promises the ability to upgrade or downgrade to any firmware, even when Apple is no longer signing it... if and only if you have the SHSH2 blobs for that firmware.

To get your SHSH2 blobs you can use the tool I linked above. However, you can only get the SHSH2 blobs for the proper firmware version so long as Apple is signing it. Right now, Apple is signing 10.1, 10.1.1, and 10.2. Once Prometheus is released, you'll be able to upgrade or downgrade to those versions. It should be released around or shortly after the New Year.

In other words, get your device specific blobs ASAP. It takes literally under a minute. Plugging my iphone into my computer and loading up itunes took longer than saving my blobs. And once you have them, you can jump up to iOS 10.1.1 whenever a jailbreak for that version is released, no gambling required.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I'm bitterly regretting leaving 9.1 and going to 10.2. I had a stable jailbreak on the former. This really really isn't. Upgrade to 10.2 if you must because I find there's actually not a lot of stuff that you can't adapt to without? But still, huge pain.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Honestly there was a huge speed increase going to iOS 10 VS 9.1. Like I'm running stock right now and it's actually not too bad because SwiftKey doesn't crash, chrome opens faster. It's actually noticeable. Everything seems smoother and faster.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Speaking of which, if I have a 5s JB'd at iOS 8.4, I should be able to find iOS 9.3.5 somewhere, install it and apply the 9.3.5 JB without having to reinstall every last Cydia add-on I jammed in there?
No, unless you saved the blobs for 9.3.5 while it was still being signed by Apple. It's not being signed now. So there's no way for you to go to 9.3.5.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

So if I take it to 10.2 with a proper image, I can at least do that?

You can upgrade to 10.2 if you do it now, but the signing window is going to close literally any day now, so I'd strongly recommend doing it today. The 5s is 64 bit, so the 10.2 jailbreak should work just fine.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Speaking as someone who just made the jump from 8.4 to 10.2, I concur! Especially if you have a 5S! Why not flex some of that 64-bit muscle?

My only regret is that KillBackground9 doesn't work on 10; a whole bunch of other tweaks do work, though..

http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-10-ios-10.1.1-ios-10.2-compatible-cydia-jailbreak-tweaks-list/

Yeah, well all you have to do is re-run the yalu app to get your JB'd phone back.

Sadly, restoring 10.2 wiped out nearly all the tweaks I had running in iOS 8, now it's just a matter of hoping the devs rewrite for 10.2.

Even Cydia itself seems to be 32-bit? Well, guess it doesn't have to be 64-bit..

the 64 bit version of cyida is out now, but filled with bugs. Stay on the 32 bit version.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Djimi posted:

I guess I'm glad I updated this morning. But not very impressed by anything in 10.2 as of yet. BetterFiveIconDock is something I'd like.
Is there an alternative?

BetterFiveIconDock works just fine, now that IconSupport is implemented and updated for iOS 10.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Djimi posted:

Oh, I had to 'downgrade' to v 1.02 for it to work. Also didn't know it needed IconSupport.
After updating tar, dpkg and Cydia itself to beta, as it was buggy, seems like things are working, however:

Anyone know why OpenSSH isn't working? Just stalls forever here:
code:
ssh -vvv root@10.9.8.7 (iphone address)
debug1: blah blah blah
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.9
:confused:

Open SSH isn't compatible with the jailbreak. I'd also upgrade cydia to 1.26 at least. The problematic version is 1.28.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Hi guys. Got a bit of a thorny issue on my hands, hoping I can find a little help here. I'm on a 6s with 10.2 using Yalu's beta 1 right now, and I'm trying to restore a clean 10.2 install and re-jb on top of that. Trouble is, it seems something is corrupted inside my iphone's file structure that's causing itunes to abort every backup I try, and i have no older backups to fall back to. If I try to back up to my Mac, it throws without fail an "insufficient storage" error which i find quite unlikely (128g iphone against an empty 256g mac), and if i try to reroute the backup with a symbolic link to a large external drive I’m met with “backup corrupt or not compatible.” My questions are this:

* I installed a piece of software I found by the name of “syncios” with a real-time logging feature, figuring there’s a corrupt file somewhere in my iPhone’s structure that’s failing the backup. Only problem is I’m not too versed in log reading and it spits out what mostly appears to be gobbledygook. Is there any kind of key phrase or section I should be on the lookout for to find what file/files the backup is failing on so I can go in and 86 them?
* Failing that, are their any resources available to perform a manual, completely itunes-free backup of some kind? Any special places I can start looking around the file structure to import things manually? I’m mostly concerned with offloading pictures, messages and the contents of an app or two. Are those the sorts of things that can be backed up/restored manually with root/file manager access or would iOS pitch a fit at finding something that iTunes didn’t put in there?

Thanks for the help you guys, hopefully someone can help me find some answers to this. I’m kind of stuck in limbo until I can get this figured out :/ Thanks again!

If you have Mikoto or No PLS recovery installed that'll stop itunes from being able to restore. Definitely the latter, unsure of the former. Uninstall all your poo poo at any rate.

I have my own problem as well. Re-JB'd and everything's great actually. Only problem is that for whatever reason I keep getting signed out of google chrome whenever I'm jailbroken. It's super annoying. It won't sign in, or stay signed in, and I have no idea what's causing it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ibntumart posted:

Is the jailbreak like 9.3.3 originally was where you have to reinstall a certificate after a week if you didn't install the one year certificate? Trying to decide whether to upgrade my 5S from 8.4.

Yeah, but how often do you actually restart your phone? Pretty sure I haven't turned mine off in like, a month.

And even then it's 60 seconds when you're at your laptop. Hardly the end of the world.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Yalu jailbreak is perfectly fine on non-iphone7 devices, though I don't think you can upgrade to 10.2 from iOS 8, but I've never really understood how the nonce/blobs thing works.

On my iPhone 6s+ it's stable. There's the occasional respring but I wager that's more to do with the crazy amount of tweaks I've installed than anything else. And with ex3ender from julioverne's repo it's effectively untethered - the app automatically resigns the Yalu app without any need for a computer. You jailbreak, download the IPA, download the app and you're essentially set. Works like a dream and I'm very happy with it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Oh iPhone 7 is a mess on Yalu. But non-iphone7 devices are fine

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Note that you can use the ex3ender app then it will automatically resign the Yalu app and it'll be valid forever. So it's essentially an untethered app now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

You want to use the one from julioverne's repo. It's without any flaws and super easy to set up. You download the IPA to your phone, select it in the app and enter your email and password for resigning. Does it all automatically from there. Cydia extender is, apparently, not quite as good.

The reason nobody mentions ex3ender on the reddit jailbreak sub is because it's also on the same repo as a tweak that lets you download paid tweaks without payment. This is also why I'm not linking the repo here, but it's trivial to find just by searching julioverne's repo online.

FYI : the way resigning works is that you can only sign a custom app for a week with a free apple developer account. At the end of the week the application becomes unsigned, which means you can't launch it anymore. In order to resign you have to connect your phone to a computer and use impactor to put the signed app back on your phone.

However, once you use the Yalu app to enter a jailbroken state, your phone will stay that way until it's restarted. Which means if you don't turn off your phone for a month you'll stay jailbroken. The only issue is that when you reboot to a stock iOS state, if the Yalu app is no longer signed, you will need to resign it in order to enter a jailbroken state again. All the Yalu app does is put you in a jailbroken state and install cydia. You don't need it for anything once you're in a jailbroken state.

What julioverne's ex3ender does is automatically resign the app for you. You just need to set it up once and you never need to worry about it again. The ex3ender app will resign the Yalu app for you on its own without user intervention, so you'll never need to have a computer around if your phone restarts or loses power. This effectively turns the jailbreak into an untethered jailbreak, since you never need to have a computer around and can always relaunch the jailbreak from Yalu no matter how long it's been.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I downloaded extender using the proper repo but I keep getting error provision cpp 81: Unable to find a team with the given team ID. Apparently one other person on the entirety of the Internet has had this issue and he or she never figured it out.

Did I read your post right? I am supposed to download an IPA? I just installed extender from the repo in Cydia and that was it. Was I supposed to do something else, too? I click on the yalu102 app in extender but that's when I get that error.

Not sure about that error specifically, but yeah put yalu102.ipa into var/mobile/documents/ex3ender/autosign

Then just go into settings and everything's really self explanatory.

It can't resign using an IPA it doesn't have.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Thanks, I tried that but it did not work.

For some reason I was able to fix it by getting a new team ID or something.

Now do I have to go into extender and do this every 6 days or does the app automatically open and do it for me?

If you've enabled auto sign in the settings and put in your Apple ID and password, yes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Phlag posted:

I'm aware of those risks. I'll take my chances. I like to live on the edge.

It's not just your chances is the point we're making here. Your systems team will find out, and deliberately spoofing the update will not be a good look for you.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Re: the cydia impactor resigning stuff - tweaks like ex3ender automatically do that for you, no need to connect at all.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I went to use my iPad Pro 12.9" (1st gen) and it is jailbroken on 10.2. I am using Ext3nder so it automatically resigns the yalu app or whatever. But the other day my battery died and I can't seem to get back to a jailbroken state?

I clicked the yalu102 app 20 times and nothing is happening. It closes immediately, just like all the other jailbroken apps.

Did I do something wrong that is preventing me from being able to re-jailbreak without connecting it to a computer?

Thanks in advance :shobon:

Just delete and reinstall with impactor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

OK thank you. But I should be able to lose power/reboot without having to connect to a PC, no?

Ideally, but you might have fallen in a small window where ex3ender didn't catch maybe?

Still goes to show it's kinda funny how we so rarely turn our devices tweaks like ex3ender are practically placebo.

That's an exaggeration in truth, I should be fair. It's genuinely useful, until it's not.

• Locked thread