Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

maduin posted:

Users of all of the various tethering programs have received letters from AT&T, as have people using Slingplayer. It's impossible to hide your tethering, and you'll probably eventually receive a letter from them regardless of the program you use.

I guess when (and maybe if) you receive a letter depends on a few different factors--amount of use, frequency of use, etc--but they're, without a doubt, collecting information and flagging accounts for tethering to be addressed later.
There was a report earlier where someone traced it back to the data APN relay that tethering went through. Basically, all the tethering programs were using the exact one that you would normally use if you paid for tethering instead of using the iphone 3g data that you would when you do not tether. PDANet was the first one to make a change. Haven't heard anything more since then.

How could you possibly get a letter for using slingplayer? That's a legitimate app with 3G service. I wonder how they'd justify that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I don't use my slingplayer a lot, but I would imagine that if they're saying a legitimate app (and a $30 one at that) is "considered" tethering then they're in for quite a lawsuit either from Sling or a user base. I'm pretty sure I even remember when it first came out being wifi only because AT&T didn't want it WiFi. Then there was a later update where AT&T relaxed their restrictions and said it was fine for 3G.

And for that AT&T description of tethering...isn't LogMeIn, iSub, Pogoplug and to even possibly the Time Warner & Xfinity apps considered "tethering" too?

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 2, 2011

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

The only thing I'd miss besides MyWi & BiteSMS is LocSpoofer. It's a must have for those stupid MLB blackout rules.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

So RedmondPie is reporting that the iPad2 Jailbreak "leaked"
http://www.redmondpie.com/ipad-2-jailbreak-for-ios-4.3.3-jailbreakme-3.0-leaked-in-the-wild-video/

But it's not Comex's and it's not working except for 4.3. Comex's apparently works for 4.3.3

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

There will always be someone new and better who comes along...in time :(

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I am just having an AWFUL time trying to go from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3. I have every single SHSH backed up from every firmware from 4.0 up till now but every time I go through the restore motions it gives me the 1013 error. I've been in my host file and I have the correct GS's blocked. I've tried unblocking them, I've tried running the TSS server, I've tried everything I can think of.

Anyone got any ideas?

edit: Ok, nevermind. Thank the Lord almighty I fooled around with everything until it decided to work.

Xenomorph posted:

Due to some strange hack weirdness (maybe with baseband versions being different), you may need to load a pre-patched/hacked IPSW.

With 4.1, I can just use Apple's untouched IPSW.
With 4.2.1, I'd get errors and end up stuck in recovery. I ended up using sn0wbreeze to build a custom 4.2.1 IPSW, and that installed fine.

Try building a 4.3.3 IPSW with sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool.
It actually WAS the baseband surprisingly. I had never encountered such an issue

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 2, 2011

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Well there goes our hope for getting Siri on the 4 for right now

quote:

MuscleNerd: Anyone hoping for a "port" of Siri from iPhone4S: pending a very low-level A5 exploit, it likely can't be done without piracy :(

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Roving Reporter posted:

I'm curious to see if we'll see an iPad 2 // 4S jailbreak in the near future.

I'm guessing either it's hard to exploit the A5 chip or they've been holding onto something new until iOS 5 and the 4S came out. Either way, no new Jailbreak since 4.3.3 means something.
According to this article there a 5 known userland possibilities in OS5 for jailbreak. They've kept them hidden so they wouldn't be patched during the betas

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-5-ios-5-untethered-announced-by-chronic-dev-team/

I wouldn't be surprised if they held them for a week or two to see if Apple throws out any supplemental updates to the base 5.0

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Are most jailbreakers going the iCloud route for backups or is it best to still use the computer backup?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I would imagine that they're holding off a potential iOS 5 jailbreak until everyone gets the iTunes Match update at the end of the month, right? I absolutely cannot stand the standard lockscreen. Why would Apple not want the notification center to show instead of this useless screen!

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Finally! Now I just have to catch up on half a years worth of jailbreaks :(

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Is IntelliscreenX really that much better than LockInfo?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Just had the strangest thing happen on my iPhone 5. When I jailbroke it Monday I put bitesms, lockinfo, and 5 icon dock on it. When it rebooted it threw a number of apps out of their folders and I spent quite a while reorganizing. This morning I sent a text and the phone crashed and rebooted (which took like 5 minutes). When it came back up it had my apps in the original state...and the five icon dock/lockinfo were gone. Literally gone, not even on the manage screen in cydia. Almost like the phone restored itself.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 6, 2013

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Anyone have any experience with LockInfo support? I purchased it years ago under a different email account, one I don't have access to anymore. Now when I try to add or transfer the license to my new device it wants me to confirm with my old email. I emailed support last week and haven't heard anything back. Just wondering if anyone else knows a good way to get a hold of them.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Is there a jailbreak app yet that emulates Google Now? I saw NowNow but I don't want to replace Siri.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I bought BatteryInfo on a whim yesterday. Do not do this if you are slightly anal retentive about your iPhone or iPad.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

So I guess the new version of the LockInfo beta has twitter updates on the lockscreen. How do I turn this poo poo off?

Edit: Nevermind, there is a new app in the notifications box that says "Twitter Feed".

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Is it possible to get dashboard x and iWidget working at the same time? I'd like to have the music controls of dashboard x and the jellybean widget from iWidget both on the first page.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Sure, I'll miss having XBMC and BiteSMS if I get the new iPhone but what I will miss more than anything is NoAccessoryLockscreen which lets you bypass the stupid "accessory is connected" message in the music app when I have it plugged in to my car

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

numbs posted:

Is the jailbreaking community dead? I remember how popular it has been within the last few years and now it just seems kinda eh. /r/Jailbreak is dead, my jailbreak community is dead, modmyi isn't doing good, etc...

Apple has slowly been incorporating jailbreak ideas and releasing more and more small updates to keep people on the latest version. The whole community has pretty much fallen apart.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Well, I guess it's time to swap back to my iPhone, if only for BiteSMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

If they took a million dollars from a Chinese company they should just go back & recompile a new version with all their "paid" stuff removed and then re-release it. Chinese do it all the time to American companies.

• Locked thread