Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
When at home I usually don't carry my phone around with me and often miss calls/SMS.
Are there any apps that can "sync" the phone to the computer like BluePhone etc. used to? Notification would also be acceptable.

So far I've found:
-Phone Amego: calls only
-WiFiSMS: have to keep a browser open with a certain webpage
-PcSMS: IOS 4.1+
-GrowlNotifier: IOS 4.1+, notifier only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Typophone is hilarious to me because it tries to hard to be trendy and arty but it breaks basically every single modern graphic design typography rule.

That's pretty much standard for everything done by a "font nerd" stereotype though. :)

Repost now this thread has more traffic:
When at home I usually don't carry my phone around with me and often miss calls/SMS.
Are there any apps that can "pair" the phone to the computer like BluePhone etc. used to? Notification would also be acceptable.

So far I've found:
-Phone Amego: calls only
-WiFiSMS: have to keep a browser open with a certain webpage
-PcSMS: IOS 4.1+
-GrowlNotifier: IOS 4.1+, notifier only

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If anyone did get into jailbreak dev I'd love a simple app that can send when a call or SMS comes in to a computer over wifi or bluetooth.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That's not really the same thing though. While impressive, it's just a web server on the iPhone that effectively lets you use the SMS app through a browser.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'd recommend staying on 3.1.2 at the latest, or at least doing whatever it is that lets you downgrade the OS in future.

OS 4 and above are really designed for devices with 512MB RAM and it shows.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

3G is 128MB though isn't it?

Regardless, IOS4 is slow(er than 3) on a iPhone 3GS or below.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Just got an iPad 2, two questions:

is RetinaPad a paid app? Cydia doesn't list a price or how to pay anywhere I can see, but if I try to download it I get an error about how it is dependent on something I'm missing which may require payment.

is there any way to make XBMC not "add stuff to library" when I browse a folder over SMB? Some of my folders have thousands of things in them and it freezes the app for 15-30 minutes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Katya posted:

They say that tethered jailbreaks are 'better', but in a practical sense, how can someone connect their phone to a computer every time that they want it to boot? I realize that a tethered jailbreak increases the stability of the phone; but does anyone actually do it?

Why do you reboot your phone?
My 3GS is still tethered (new bootrom) and it's not a huge deal.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 22, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

wizard sticks posted:

You have a 3GS on iOS 5 or 5.1? How does it work? I'm afraid to upgrade mine because it's slow as poo poo with iOs 4.4 but if it's ok I might do it.

Nah I kept mine on 3.1.2 because as you said the speed loss from upgrading is worrying.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I have a 3GS running a jailbroken 3.1.2 that I want to sell.
Is it possible to remove the jailbreak and go back to stock without upgrading to IOS6?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FWIW I got a 3GS when it was fairly new and only had a tethered jailbreak, and used it for 3 years straight. You reboot an IOS device so rarely that only having a tethered jailbreak is not that big a hassle. YMMV.

With the one I had, the device would only boot into DFU mode. You then had to connect it to a computer, any computer, with blackra1n to finish booting.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm trying to slowly ween myself off of jailbreak features so I don't have to wait 6 months after each release to upgrade :smith:

Does it really matter? Each IOS update is so minor as to be almost pointless to bother installing it.
It's really the accumulation that may feel bad, but jailbreaks aren't usually *that* far behind.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Custom SMS tones, and a ringtone that's not limited to 40 sec. :kiddo:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Moses posted:

Is there a fix for 6.1 preventing background video playback as of yet? i jail broke just for this.

Edit: the volume buttons on my ipad 3 are borked, if you press volume down it goes to mute, have to turn it up again from zero

Sounds like might be a messed up Activator setting?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Does anyone know of an addon or something to Activator that will let me bind something to Skip Ahead 15 Seconds for podcasts?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Funkmaster General posted:

You could use Activator to set "hold volume up button" to do something else, instead, and just have it do something you won't notice happening.

There is literally a "Do Nothing" action that should suppress the volume change. :)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ezrem posted:

Has anyone tried the AnyVoice tweak? It's supposed to change Siri's voice to any nationality.

I set it to English (Australia) and I get a safe mode crash whenever I ask anything.

I hope they get this working because the Australian Siri has loving terrible pronunciation.

Two questions:
-any way to get an Activator Action to skip forward 15 seconds on a podcast?
-is there something that will force the calendar to be god's own Monday-Sunday layout?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Has anyone else noticed an issue where sometimes the phone just won't come out of sleep?
Neither Home nor Power button will "work". Wait a few seconds and try again, and they started working again.

Not sure what it could be, I do have Activator installed but nothing is bound to the Home button.
iPhone 5, IOS 6.1.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't mind trying to uninstall Activator but when I attempt to in Cydia I get this scary-looking list of apps that will be removed:

Any way to fix that and just uninstall Activator and nothing else?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

My complaint with it is that I literally went from IOS 3.1 to 6.1 and in the old days SBSettings worked perfectly on its own with no dependencies and therefore no Home button issues on the old 3GS.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I uninstalled Activator and my Home button problems are gone.

Does anyone know of a SBSettings clone without that dependency? Preferably not NCSettings, but I might be asking too much.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

shootforit posted:

I wish there was an sbsettings toggle for ringer volume. I hate having to unlock to make sure the volume is loud enough.

Is there no way to adjust ringer volume from the lockscreen?

Why not just set it to always have maximum ringer volume in settings?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

On the Activator issue, I got rid of Activator and SBSettings because of the intermittent Home button not waking the phone from sleep.

Unfortunately that BatteryDoctor app that I replaced it with also seems to have the same issue so I'm guessing there's some similarity there in the way they tap into something.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MoPZiG posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but is there a way to export all my podcast files from an app like Downcast or stitcher to itunes/hd, and then reload em. Not wanting to lose 10gb+ of podcasts is keeping me from upgrading to ios6.

Never tried, but iFunBox should be able to navigate to wherever the podcasts are stored and copy them to your PC.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

lox posted:

Is there any way to get Calendar to permanently show the date when I pull down Notification Center? Right now it only shows the date if I have an event scheduled for the next 24 hours.

"StatusBarCustomClock4", if you can stand to have your normal status bar display the date all the time as well.

It's in the moyashi repository, http://hitoriblog.com/apt/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Also, I was wondering whether there is anything that will make certain (or all) notifications stay on the lock screen until dealt with.

I have a bad habit of say having a missed call and a tiny tower thing that needs stocking, then stocking the item in the game and forgetting about the call and locking the screen. This means the missed call notification is now "lost".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

"StatusBarCustomClock4" in the moyashi repository, http://hitoriblog.com/apt/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

Is there any way to boost the upper volume limit? Especially for the podcast app. This would be really useful when I'm in loud public transit.

If you load your Podcasts via a computer with iTunes then you can set an amplification on the tracks in there.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

No matter what Apple may claim, jailbreaking doesn't void your warranty.

VVV I meant legally. From a pragmatic standpoint you're 100% correct.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 1, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I want to be able to send iMessages/SMS messages via my PC.

How do you do this?

(Apart from running a VNC server on the phone.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

My iPhone 5 is jailbroken and locked on 6.1, is there any way to Restore to 6.1 to unlock it or am I SOL now? :woz:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You misunderstand, my carrier will unlock the phone but I have to Restore to have it take effect.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bugger. Thanks guys, I guess I'll be part of the contingent hoping for a speedy IOS7 jb then. :smith:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks all, I deactivated and reactivated with SAM and as soon as I find another nano SIM will report back as to whether that worked.

Edit: a friend lent me her Telstra nano SIM and it worked fine, phew!

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 27, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Did you know: you need a bloody jailbreak tweak in order to cancel an IOS app update, even if that update won't run because you don't have enough free space.
(CancelUpdate in BigBoss.)

On the good news front my US SIM worked perfectly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't remember exactly but there is very little reason to bother upgrading from 6.1.0 anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Depends on the app. Only thing that the carriers get to disable is tethering.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

goodness posted:

Can't you make your any iPhone 5 onwards into a personal hotspot? Why so do you need to tether.

"Cheap" contractless plans typically don't let you do this, at least in my limited experience.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is there a fix for Cydia on IOS6? You can't read any package descriptions and resolving dependencies is iffy, but things like updates and searching work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Zohn posted:

Now I can't figure out how to unlock it to work with my Straight Talk SIM like it was before. Downloaded something called SAM with Cydia, but as I don't really know the details of what carrier it was originally on I'm just trying random settings at this point.

Talked to the original owner (my brother), and he said he had it unlocked by the provider (he doesn't remember who, probably AT&T), so if I have this figured out right the IMEI should be on file with Apple or the carrier or whatever as being unlocked? But then again, he did this in Europe at the time... so I have no idea what I'm doing basically.

Please tell me that there is an idiot proof way to install something through Cydia that will magically give me service on this AT&T Straight Talk SIM again that doesn't me putting educated guesses into the settings in SAM over and over until it works.

In SAM I deactivated the reactivated my phone and the unlock "took effect" after that. I didn't have to mess with any settings and the next time I tried a SIM from another carrier it worked. This was on a iPhone 5, IOS 6.1.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 19, 2014

• Locked thread