Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Feenix posted:

In English? :)

Save your shsh blobs for 5.1 with TU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

ICA posted:

Can someone remind me how to jailbreak my iPhone 4 (5.1) please?

Redsn0w. iPhone 4 always will have a tethered jailbreak, that part of the exploit is at the hardware level.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

Today I learned that you have to have both the client and host jailbroken in order for MyWi On-Demand to work.

This doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere but they do get away with a slick bit of vagueness regarding iPad support here.

Oh well, the wait continues.

gently caress that anyways. I bought MyWi for like $20... they shouldn't nickel and dime you for the onDemand stuff crap. I believe it was 100% broken (obviously they didn't tell you that and still let you buy it) for like a year, too.

It's easy enough to just enable bluetooth and pair when you need to tether.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

mewse posted:

Many past jailbreaks depended on already having a jailbroken device.

They have? I've been jailbreaking for over 2 years and each method has been, or in some cases, must have been done from either DFU mode or vanilla iOS.

That said, I still wouldn't get 5.1.1 but I would save those SHSH blobs.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

MyWi on Demand between my 4S and New iPad this week :fap:

Is it really worth the extra :5bux:?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

absolutely. Your iPad and iPhone are always ready to go, and the battery drain on bluetooth tethering is extremely low. Any time i'd bring my iPad out of the house, once it's no longer on wifi, it switches over to bluetooth as it needs. It's luxurious.

edit:spelling.

Hmm once the iPad 3 jailbreak is out I might as well give it a shot.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Followed by this (sorry for the posts, can only attach one image on SA)

I'm getting this same issue on my iPad 3 :(

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Thirding or fourthing the fact that the jailbreak does /not/ seem to work on iPad 3 if you did an OTA update to 5.1.1. I tried 4 times with different usb ports/cables while on my OTA updated 5.1.1 iPad 3. No dice.

I restored to 5.1.1 in iTunes, and the jailbeak worked the first time.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

and saurik just said this to me about the iAd/AdSheet.app thing:

Is this referring to the whole thing that shows like iAds.app and other various iOS diagnostic apps on the homescreen?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

yet I somehow manage to gently caress up the backups (backed up both through iCloud and locally).

That's why I always go to the MobileSync folder and manually backup my backup folder

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Upmarket Mango posted:

Seems like something has gone wrong. I had 11GB of data on my 4S and like Xenomorph said, it was near-instant.

I wiped out 50gb on my iPad 3 in about 25 seconds.

If the 4S is currently jail broken I don't think the erase all works. At least it didn't when I tried it at the time on my jail broken 5.0.1 iPad 2.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Denim Dude posted:

Well I was using a tethered jailbreak so I rebooted the phone in to a non jailbroken state and tried again and it still seemed to be "stuck". I'll just do a fresh install of 5.1.1 in ITunes and hope for the best.

Wait. If you' re on 5.1.1 tethered just install the Rocky whatever the gently caress its called package from Cydia.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Ah yeah then definitely do an iTunes restore to 5.1.1 JB from there.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Denim Dude posted:

Everything went off without a hitch. Thanks all.

Edit: I imagine it doesn't matter if you save SHSH blobs before or after the jailbreak? I forgot to do tinyumbrella before I jailbroke it.

Nah, you can save them whenever, as along as Apple is still signing them.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
My mail app has the icon for Calendar :(

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

I wonder why with ALL the icon corruption issues with 5.0.x and 5.1.x that we haven't seen ANYTHING from the Dev Team addressing this.

"here's your jailbreak, sorry about the random memory and graphic corruptions lol"

They probably just don't give a poo poo. Or they have no idea why it happens or how to fix it so they just ignore it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Well this was sort of weird.

I had a jailbroken iPad 2 with FolderEnhancer installed. Then I got an iPad 3 and restored it from the iPad 2 backup, but obviously I was no longer jailbroken, until today.

Well, after I installed FolderEnhancer on my iPad 3, all of my apps and folders got put back to how they were on my jailbroken iPad 2. Any app that I downloaded after getting my 3 just got dumped out randomly to my home screen, but everything else got moved to where it was located on the 2.

So I guess that jailbroken data was still sitting on my 3 this whole time despite not being jailbroken. Crazy.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Reporting in that I've got that bullshit issue with Mail.app not displaying anything on my iPad 3 on my 5.1.1 jailbreak. It's happened twice in 3 days and requires a reboot to fix it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

suboptimal posted:

Has ANYONE managed to get SiriPort working? I updated my iPhone 4 (AT&T) to 5.1.1 and jailbroke without any issue at all, followed the repo and certificate installation instructions to the letter, and still haven't been able to get the drat thing working.

Working great for my on my iPhone 4. Just make sure you keep trying to "activate" Siri by trying over and over. It took me like 15-20 tries of Siri saying she "can't take any more requests right now" but if you keep trying it should eventually work.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
No, just keep trying. No need to reboot

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Klowns posted:

Thanks. Like a few others have mentioned I'm a little paranoid about installing random Russian certificates on my phone.

What can actually happen with the certificate? Like can it grab all your contact data and saved passwords in Safari and stuff?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Hey guys, is there a solution to TuneIn radio location blocking me for listening to the euros on talksport from the states? I recall there being a location spoofer, would this work here?

Thanks !

Probably, try fake location. It has a free trial so you've got nothing to lose.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

glompix posted:

I was on 4.3.3 for 3-4 months after 5.0 hit. Talk about a delayed reaction to notification center. And then I was on a tethered 5.0.1 jailbreak until just very recently. Who gives a poo poo? :v:

It is goddamn easy to go to 5.1 though. I didn't even lose my cydia app settings or springboard positions or anything - just had to download them.

My friend on his 3GS is still running 4.3. Talk about not caring. He also doesn't save anyone's contact info in Contacts.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
So yesterday I uninstalled SiriPort which threw my 4 into an endless boot forcing me to restore.

Luckily I had just plugged it in to charge so I had a 5 minute old iCloud backup, but I still thought that since jailbroken that the restore would be a pain in the rear end.

I restored the firmware and restored from my iCloud backup, but before I could finish downloading all my apps, or jailbreaking, I had to leave for the Giants game. But while at the game, all of my apps just started to download courtesy of AT&T Park's wifi. This was awesome but my icons were all over the place (I use FolderEnhancer), but once I got home I jailbroke and installed FolderEnhancer and bam, all my icons were back where they belong.

What I am getting at is cloud restores are so easy and convenient, even if jailbroken.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing before I saw who it was from. It wouldn't even have to be a working Cydia. Just the name and icon. If it was anyone other than chpwn I'd be thinking that, but he's about as legit as it comes.

Also this https://mobile.twitter.com/chpwn/status/249297376743944195?photo=1

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Bite SMS is pretty much my sole reason. I do miss having SBSettings for sure.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Comex is no longer with Apple

https://mobile.twitter.com/comex/status/259032253877862400

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
It's a very common thing that iOS6 uses a lot more data when you do anything that uses the streaming framework.

http://labs.prx.org/2012/11/14/ios-6-0-devours-data-plans-causes-cdn-overages/

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/11/14/bug-in-apples-ios-6-0-triggers-multiple-downloads-of-podcasts-causing-big-data-overages/39/

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Don't question the bobfather, bro.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
All you need to do is "just boot tethered" on any pc/Mac with redsn0w.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

I thought it just wouldn't be jailbroken if not tethered at bootup. Not that it wouldn't boot at all.

If its a semi-tethered jb then it will boot just not tethered and safari probably wont work.

If its just a tethered JB then it just won't boot.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Anyone else noticing weird brightness problems? Since I jailbroke last night my iPhone 5 with autobrightness set is much brighter than ever before. It's pretty annoying.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

Yes I have noticed that.

Except mine is much dimmer than before.

Do you have NC settings? I think I hit the brightness adjust in there and ever since its been loving with my brightness. I even reset it and removed/reinstalled with no luck.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I would make a backup of the LaunchDaemons folder first. I would also ensure you can SSH into your phone so that in the event you screw things up to the point where you can't use the Springboard, you can still SSH in and restore the backed-up LaunchDaemons folder.

Use iCleaner Pro. You need to add the repo to cydia but the app is free. From here you can enable/disable the daemons by just tapping. It's amazingly easy. It also cleans up tons of crap from your device. Just google icleaner pro.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Yeah exactly. I don't really do it myself, besides the OTA update stuff, but the app gives you nice and easy options, if this is your thing. Long holding over each row gives a small description.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

a glorious hole posted:

If I run icleaner to clean up the safari/application junk will it wipe out my saved account info and whatnot?

It didn't for me.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

teacup posted:

A couple of questions.

I have an Australian (I'm in Australia, just dunno if this makes any difference) iphone 5 and it's currently on 6.1.3

1. Is 6.1.3 too updated to jailbreak currently? If so, can I downgrade back to an earlier version? If not, is there a current expectation on when this version will be jailbreakable?

2. All the lovely UI things (Metro style lockscreen, some fancy homescreens, etc) are they fairly easy to set up? IS there a pack of commonly used things? Is there a link or website or forum that has a bit more detailed than the nice but a tiny bit sparse OP in this thread?

Thanks guys!

1. No.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
I definitely notice a speed improvement on page rendering with Nitrous in Chrome and any in app browser. Of course this only applies to sites with JavaScript, but there are plenty of those.

For fun tests just run this with and without nitrous enabled in Chrome

http://www.webkit.org/perf/sunspider/sunspider.html

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Anyone else have issues with NCsettings and the wifi toggle randomly not working? It happens to me all the time where tapping it changes the color from off to on or on to off but it doesn't actually enable/disable wifi.

A respring fixes it but I can't be the only one with this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Settings->Privacy->Photos and turn off biteSMS?

E: actually that doesn't work but you can go to biteSMS settings, privacy, and disable the photo menu from quick reply from the lock screen.

dutchbstrd fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 1, 2013

• Locked thread