Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I don't suppose anyone knows of a jailbreak app that'll allow you to restrict certain apps from calling home or accessing the data connection? Having to turn on Airplane Mode is annoying and can make me miss calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

To elaborate, I want X app to think it's Offline (or block it from data usage) without actually going through the extra actions of turning Airplane Mode on or disabling Data.

Some apps that would otherwise have no reason to be accessing wireless data like to load annoying advertisements or badges for news items I don't care about (local notifications which cant be disabled by the user are especially horrible). I don't ever want to see these things.

Things like: The developers of X app just made Y app and want me to go buy it.

X developer advertises for Z developer's totally unrelated and uninteresting content.

I also don't want any app mining my data and sending home care packages with all my :tinfoil: etc

I'm picky and intolerant, yes, but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable.

Edit:

Zeph posted:

Firewall iP can block all connections to specific apps. It's a paid Cydia app. It's also good for blocking ads (especially in Safari).

Sounds promising. I'll look that up. Thanks!

Edit 2: Gosh, this is spammy. It does what I want, but boy oh boy do I need to learn how to use it. Rather than asking me about every loving thing, I'd rather just tell it the few things I want it to block.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 10, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Is there an app that will stop safari from showing my previous google searches? Sick of coworkers seeing my medical issues.

Just get Atomic Web Browser. It's far and away better than Safari, it costs one dollar and has all sorts of privacy features. And a shitload of other neat features, to boot.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Edit; derp I'm an idiot who doesn't read threads. Also just an idiot.

Looks like my Settings badge question was answered just above.

I've got another problem! I have 5 apps with available updates, but they're lovely updates that add stupid features or straight up remove functionality. Is there any way I can remove them from the update list, somehow? I guess I can replace them (them being the apps I have already legally purchased or downloaded) filez versions, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

I miss using the Update All button. I hate how the app store closes out whenever you buy/update something.

vvv You're p cool, guy.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 19, 2012

Bummey
May 26, 2004

edit: derp

Bummey
May 26, 2004

If you've jailbroken your phone and you're reinstalling all your old software and you get a prompt that says 'An old icon layout has been detected. It may be quite old, do you want to restore it?' Don't say no. You want to restore it.

Now I need to recreate and put all 192 applications back into folders. :sigh:

:argh: FIVE ICON DICK SCREWS ME AGAIN :argh:

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 14, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

Anything that alters folders (FolderEnhancer, Inififolders, whatever) or anything that alters icon placement/arrangement (gridlock, any "5 column" changes, etc) immediately breaks the native iOS & iTunes way of managing and memorizing icon and folder locations.

Keep that in mind. It may seem to "work", but it can leave you with icons all over.

I finally got all my icons and folders set up, then my phone crashed, it restarted in safe mode and the folders blew up again. I exited safe mode, restarted and my folders were set up how they were before this whole jailbreak mess. Wonderful? Right? Nope, crash again, folders blown up again.

This isn't a very reliable jailbreak, is it? And to top it off, Lockinfo isn't updated for 6. Boy I sure am glad I jailbroke 6 without reading the last few pages :)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I am not liking Lockinfo 5 at all. For all its new features, this is a huge step back from 4.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

I still feel the same way but I'm giving it a chance.. he's pushing out updates in the beta around twice a day.

Are you using the Consolidated layout?

gently caress if I know. The options menu is awful. I don't even know how to configure this thing anymore.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I just want it to look like Lockinfo 4, and have infoshade back. gently caress the notification center.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

You can add files to the native VLC app straight through iTunes, or by SSHing into your phone and depositing them into the app's documents directory.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

BatteryDoctorPro (search for that, first result will be it) is really loving slick and an excellent replacement to SBSettings or the now discontinued NCSettings.

What repository is it on? I can't see it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Open the file in Audacity, or another audio editor, and lower the volume, then reupload to Audiko and convert to the proper format.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Is there any sort of ad blocking software? I don't mean web adverts in Safari, but iAds and other intrusive and annoying poo poo banners an pop ups in apps.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

There's tons of stuff that claims to do that on Cydia. No idea what, if any of it, works and doesn't.

Well, yeah, that's why I asked. I use firewall IP to block incoming/outgoing connections, and it's fabulous at what it does, but it doesn't remove banner adverts.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

In what ways are you using Firewall IP? I dabbled with it, but it's not always easy to distinguish which hosts are being used to collect unnecessary data, etc.

You'll just have to spend some time googling the various hosts before you find out which ones you want to block. Some are simple because they'll have ad or analytics or whatever in the name, others are a bit more obtuse.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

slomomofo posted:

Here's a copy of the hosts file posted previously.

Cool beans. Thanks! Now, what do I name it and where do I put it?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Try MakeItMine, instead. That'll let you remove or replace the text in the carrier and clock fields.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

^^ :hfive:

c0burn posted:

You don't need to kill all apps why would you do that

I don't know about you, but I'm obsessive about keeping my switcher tray clean. If I don't plan on going back to an app within the next twenty minutes, it's getting killed.

Auxo is causing my phone to crash and reboot like crazy. So much for those two dollars.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 22, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Is there any way to stop certain apps from caching so god damned much data and filling up my storage? Vine and Instagram are the most egregious, hoarding about 600mb each, but many others like Tumblr are 12mb apps that are weighed down with upwards of 100mb of useless poo poo. I know I can periodically clean that poo poo out but I want to stop it from happening in the first place. It's especially annoying since many of those cleaning programs also kill all login data, so I have to log back in to everything afterwards.

I should note that I don't even post anything on any of these apps, it's not like I'm creating all that data myself, they just cache everything that comes in.

edit whoops jailbreak thread. Well, whatever.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 3, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same question but with photostreams.

Fuckin photostream. I want all that poo poo ~*IN THE CLOUD*~ not hogging up my phone's storage. I cleared the photo stream on my computer, but the photo sream tab on my phone is still full of space hogging poo poo. I cleared that, then moved poo poo back into the photo stream on my computer, and nowwwwwwww it's full of poo poo on my phone again.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

And miss hearing the millionth remixes of the same five John Williams songs? Harrumph.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Is 3G Unrestrictor busted as gently caress or is it just me? And by busted as gently caress I mean it doesn't work.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bummey posted:

Is 3G Unrestrictor busted as gently caress or is it just me? And by busted as gently caress I mean it doesn't work.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1

The dev won't answer my contacts so I'm just gonna say gently caress 3G Unrestrictor and cry about the two dolalrs I lost when upgrading to the new version.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

No matter what Apple may claim, jailbreaking doesn't void your warranty.

Wrong. It does void your warranty because Apple both writes the warranty and services the products, but there's no way for them to tell that the phone has been jailbroken if you properly restore to stock firmware. Don't be surprised if you walk up to the apple store service desk with your reskinned interface and find that the worker gives you the stinkeye. Forget about mailing it in to Apple and expecting to receive a new phone.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

The iPhone's rotation lock option will only lock portrait mode. I know there's a jailbreak tool that gives you an sbsettings rotation lock, but I can't recall the name. Hell, just search Cydia for rotation and you'll find something.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I remember reading somewhere that jailbreaking is the best way to access all the files on the iphone so that you can clear out bloated files and reduce your "Other" space being used up. Since I can't jailbreak right now or probably in the near future considering whats going on, what are my best other options/what exactly keeps making "Other" grow. I know 700 of that is probably iOS 7 but man, within 2 months I have 300 extra space being used up.

If this is not where I should be asking this question, let me know and I will move it to the proper thread.

Many apps will cache incoming data, photos, content, etc. keeping it all and bloating the file size. If you delete that stuff it's just going to come back, like that loving cat. There's only so much you can do about it. iOS is terrible about that poo poo.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 23, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

That's all well and good but if you use the apps with any regularity they'll just fill back up with poo poo.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

What are you trying to get across?

I mean that it's hopeless to delete Other content because, within one or two launches of the app in question, it's all gonna come back.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I'm always been woken up by the vibration motor whirring against the table, rather than the alarm. I don't like that. None of the standard vibration options in Settings affect the alarm in Clock, only ringtones and other alerts. I've searched Cydia, but haven't been able to find anything to disable vibration, like an sbssettings toggle. Is there a jailbreak option that lets me turn that poo poo off?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Hey, thanks, I'll give that a shot. It doesn't exactly do it, since there are some Clock alarms I might want to vibrate, but for now it'll do the trick.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

How does io7 run on an iphone 4? Now that the jailbreak is out (they got rid of the weird chinese maybebadstuff right?) I may as well upgrade as long as it won't turn my phone to sloppy poop.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 18, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Does anyone have a line on the most up-to-date and working ad blocking hosts file? Like a fool I forgot to make a backup before trying a newer version and this one doesn't block a drat thing.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 9, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Does it block ad banners in apps, too? This one is less than half the size of the previous one I used. Hmm.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 9, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

"Hey guys I just jailbroke and installed a bunch of neat tweaks but my battery dies in, like, two hours! HELP!"

The answer is always, always, always weather poo poo. Your phone is probably sending out to check for new mail and updated weather status every minute. Get rid of that animated garbage, turn the update interval to as long as you can reasonably stand it (or better yet, manual update), and then check your mail's fetch settings as well.

or if you must have a dancing sun telling you what it looks like outside the window you're sitting near, buy an external battery pack and get used to charging often.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

ibntumart posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't have Winterboard?

I got tired of Winterboard about 3 months after I jailbroke my 3gs. I couldn't be hosed to keep up with new icons and alla that poo poo. I don't miss it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

All of my browsing is done with a desktop user agent so I don't have to deal with the lovely awful mobile versions of most websites. :|

Bummey
May 26, 2004

F.lux is a god damned necessity. My 6+ is still about two months away from shipping, according to at&t, and I'm anxious. :|

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Now that I'm finally jail broken again I'd like to get a better lock screen like LockInfo. My biggest problem with the stock setup is that only recent notifications appear on the lock screen, and I have to swipe down from the top of the screen to see the full notification center. It makes what should be a quick glance into ... not a quick glance.

LockInfo looks discontinued. What are my options?

Edit: also, is there any better way to browse Cydia? Filter out old poo poo? I've installed and uninstalled dozens of things with undated change logs and poor documentation after finding out they don't work.

An Open In Background Tab mod for Safari would be rad too. it's a core feature in Settings now. Huh. Good.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

bobfather posted:

LockInfo is not discontinued. In fact it's in release candidate stage now and a release is imminent.

It also looks and works great on iOS 8. You can add David Ashman's beta repo to try it.

Beta repo! I forgot about the whole repository thing. Thanks. I just picked it up and bought the upgrade.

The weather is stuck and Mumbai for some reason and I can't get it to change. Oh well, I've got windows.

• Locked thread