Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

JayKay posted:

Went to a Verizon corporate store tonight and got to play with a Droid RAZR. My only 2 thoughts were "holy crap this thing is tall" and "holy crap this screen is beautiful."

I did this too, and my only thoughts were "holy balls this poo poo is slow." I could barely switch pages on the home screen with out it lagging or stuttering or dropping touches. Verizon really need to take better care of their display units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Thoom posted:

I did this too, and my only thoughts were "holy balls this poo poo is slow." I could barely switch pages on the home screen with out it lagging or stuttering or dropping touches. Verizon really need to take better care of their display units.

The part that makes demo unit phones even worse is that they have these giant bloaty screensaver-esque demo apps installed onto them that make them seem all whiz-bang but it actually makes the phone usage experience way worse when you try to see how the damned thing actually behaves.

I have a Bionic. The Razr is just a superthin Bionic with the processor bumped by 200Mhz. There's no reason it should be slow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When people are saying battery life sucks and you have to charge it once a day, are you saying that you take it to work, and then come home and have to charge it if you go out at night? I already have to do that with my droid, so who cares.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Cojawfee posted:

When people are saying battery life sucks and you have to charge it once a day, are you saying that you take it to work, and then come home and have to charge it if you go out at night? I already have to do that with my droid, so who cares.

People who complain about normal Android battery life (12-20 hours typically) are viewing it through the lens of iPhone, Blackberry, and Dumbphone.

Sure, the Android ecosystem needs to work on battery life, but they're not anything outside of previous smartphones. My HTC Touch (Vogue) was a daily charger and I never thought anything of it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

JayKay posted:

Went to a Verizon corporate store tonight and got to play with a Droid RAZR. My only 2 thoughts were "holy crap this thing is tall" and "holy crap this screen is beautiful."

Your mind would be blown by a phone with a screen that's actually good then, because the biggest complaint reviewers have had with the RAZR is that its screen sucks.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

maduin posted:

Your mind would be blown by a phone with a screen that's actually good then, because the biggest complaint reviewers have had with the RAZR is that its screen sucks.

Well, compared to the Bionic that was next to it and my Thunderbolt, I thought it looked awesome. The colors seemed alot more vivid compared to the other 2.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Magic Underwear posted:

1. The delays, (apparent) hardware issues, and the already-known drawbacks of the GN.
For what it's worth, the hardware (volume control) issues appear related to the chipset in the GSM version. Something to do with it crossing over onto a 2G signal.

No word on whether or not it'll affect the CDMA/LTE version. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it only affects GSM.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing is, they've been able to demonstrate it by placing another phone nearby.

So, even if the Verizon version can't self trigger, being triggered from an outside source remains a possibility until the main root of the flaw is addressed.

IF they decide to address that flaw on the Verizon version (if it hasn't already been addressed) it could lead to further shipping delays.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
wait, let me get this right. If you get the phone through amazon, you don't have that exchange window through January?

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester

maduin posted:

Agreed. The screen on the RAZR has a terrible blue tint whenever you're looking at it even the slightest off of straight on, which given how big it is, isn't necessarily the easiest thing to avoid.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
So I went to the Verizon store and looked at both the Rezound and the Razr.

They both don't jump out at me. :(

The Razr is really, really big. It looks like it could easily fit a 5" screen, but it doesn't. Its thin, but its comically tall and wide.

The Rezound is just like my Sensation, and according to Engadget, has the same size battery. Well, my phone has terrible battery life.

I can't wait for the Galaxy Nexus since I'm doing the double-data deal along with the Amazon sale, so which one would you guys recommend? My priorities are good support and good battery life. I do charge at work, but the Sensation's battery life just drops like a rock which is what Engadget said happened with theirs too.

EDIT: If I get 3 lines on a family plan, do I have to keep the data plan active on that 3rd line? What if I get the device from Amazon?

Mark Larson fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 22, 2011

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

EDIT: If I get 3 lines on a family plan, do I have to keep the data plan active on that 3rd line? What if I get the device from Amazon?

No, you don't. I know a few people on family plans that pay 9.99$/mo for an extra line just to use the upgrade yearly.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

maduin posted:

No, you don't. I know a few people on family plans that pay 9.99$/mo for an extra line just to use the upgrade yearly.

And if I get it from Amazon? Do I have to keep the data active for 6 months?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

AlexDeGruven posted:

People who complain about normal Android battery life (12-20 hours typically) are viewing it through the lens of iPhone, Blackberry, and Dumbphone.

Sure, the Android ecosystem needs to work on battery life, but they're not anything outside of previous smartphones. My HTC Touch (Vogue) was a daily charger and I never thought anything of it.

Let's see what happens if we get a 4G iPhone. I'll be interested in those battery stats.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Aatrek posted:

Let's see what happens if we get a 4G iPhone. I'll be interested in those battery stats.

Which is precisely the reason we don't have a 4G iPhone yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thoom posted:

Which is precisely the reason we don't have a 4G iPhone yet.

Pretty much. It won't be until 2nd get LTE chipsets come out that Apple will think about releasing an LTE iPhone.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Anyone else with a RAZR have any SD card issues? Or have any fixes for my RAZR telling me "SD card is blank"? I tried formatting it to no avail.

Could this be just a bad card?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

maduin posted:

So wait - I was going to pay whatever full price is for a Nexus. But I already have a share plan with 3 lines and I'm not averse to adding another.

I'm sure a coworker of mine has an old crappy Verizon dumphone in a drawer somewhere. Suppose I go online and add a new line onto my share plan with that phone. I know I can I do an alternate upgrade and steal the upgrade from that new line to replace my Thunderbolt. But will I have to put a data plan on that "patsy" line?

If I don't have to put a data plan on, that means I would pay $299 now and $240 over the next 2 years. That seems preferable to paying up front. Plus I wouldn't have to pay sales tax on the full $650 when I bought it.

AmatakiRock
Jan 5, 2009
I get my upgrade tomorrow so I stopped in a Verizon store to check out the Razr. It looked pretty great but no so great as to jump on it now before trying out a Galaxy Nexus. I asked one of the salespeople if she had any word on a release date for the Galaxy Nexus for kicks, and she very casually said "next week, by the end of the month. "

Her response struck me as weird because earlier this year I asked about Galaxy Tab 10.1 accessories less than a week before the Verizon release (I had the IO version and was case hunting) and they told me that they've "never heard of that tablet, or anything sounding like that in the pipe lines. Do you mean the Xoom?"

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
is there a way to convert an individual account to a family account, so I can add to lines (and thus 2 phones) via the amazon deal?

My talk with the rep was basically retarded on this to my own perception - they seemed to say that you can only add a line via verizon itself in order to make it a family plan, which would cost me $250 instead of $.01

edit: phonecall with rep fixed the situation. Now I have another one.

I'm trying to add a total of 2 new lines to the family plan. the amazon deal is only letting me do 1. The second one said like "you cannot add more lines", etc. am I missing something?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 23, 2011

Fitzy77
Dec 26, 2008

Ok, so I checked out the X2 on the amazon deal, just to see. I'm eligible for an upgrade on a family plan, so I ticked the "i am part of a family plan" bubble. It still was telling me a penny, even after I added it to my cart. My questions are, what exactly am I missing here/would it seriously be a penny? And secondly, when I go to choosing my plan afterwards via amazonwireless, I can select to be grandfathered in to my unlimited data plan, but the only two options I can pick for texts are no texts or 1,000. We already have unlimited texts to any carrier on our plan now; is that gone even by grandfathered standards now?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fitzy77 posted:

Ok, so I checked out the X2 on the amazon deal, just to see. I'm eligible for an upgrade on a family plan, so I ticked the "i am part of a family plan" bubble. It still was telling me a penny, even after I added it to my cart. My questions are, what exactly am I missing here/would it seriously be a penny? And secondly, when I go to choosing my plan afterwards via amazonwireless, I can select to be grandfathered in to my unlimited data plan, but the only two options I can pick for texts are no texts or 1,000. We already have unlimited texts to any carrier on our plan now; is that gone even by grandfathered standards now?

Are you seriously going to get an X2 instead of a RAZR, Rezound, or even a Bionic? Trolling? I think you may be talking about double data deal, except you already have unlimited data...

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeaahh, isn't the X2 pretty much the worst top-brand smartphone Verizon sells?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Dear God, why would you even consider getting a Droid X2?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For what it's worth, I stopped by my Costco tonight and asked about exchanging my Bionic for a Razr and they didn't even blink, of course they would exchange because that's the policy. I mean, both of the sales people were asking me if I REALLY wanted to do so because of the non-removable battery, but they will do it as long as I'm within 90 days.

They said the sell multiple times more bionics than the Razr. In fact, they've only sold 5 Razr's since launch.

I'll probably exchange tomorrow because Dec 8th is looking like the concrete date for the Galaxy Nexus and that will be outside my exchange window.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Fitzy77 posted:

As someone with an X2 this is pretty much the biggest pile of poo poo I've ever owned. Seriously, if you insist on getting a non LTE Motorola phone go for the Droid 3.

Fitzy77
Dec 26, 2008

Codiusprime posted:

As someone with an X2 this is pretty much the biggest pile of poo poo I've ever owned. Seriously, if you insist on getting a non LTE Motorola phone go for the Droid 3.

Thanks for the feedback man. To explain, money's a big issue, which is why the higher end phones are basically impossible for me to get. I'm not entirely picky; my current phone is a Droid Eris. Anything would be an improvement. What about the Revolution 4G? I can get it for $29.99, and it's really the only 4G phone I can afford. The biggest complaint I'm seeing is the battery life, but my Droid Eris rarely makes it through a single day anyway.

Psycho Puppet
Jun 19, 2003

Hmm?

bull3964 posted:

I'll probably exchange tomorrow because Dec 8th is looking like the concrete date for the Galaxy Nexus and that will be outside my exchange window.

I wouldn't count December 8th as concrete yet for the Nexus. For those familiar with P3Droid from Team Black Hat, he said "No" in response to a question about the Dec 8th date panning out. He and other "sources" have been implying a later date but before Christmas. This guy has an actual LTE test unit and he has been spot on leaked info so far so I'm inclined to believe him.

https://twitter.com/#!/P3Droid/status/139162939188977664

Then again Verizon has apparently been going back and forth so many times on the Nexus release that it's hard telling what's the real deal anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I meant that there's zero chance of it launching before that so there's no hope of me getting it by the 7th when my exchange period ends.

FWIW, http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/22/new-verizon-map-shows-xoom-2-on-contract-pricing-galaxy-nexus-release-date-mention/

The later part of that seems to indicate that it is not Verizon holding up the release (in fact, they wanted to launch on the 28th), they apparently don't have units to sell yet.

Psycho Puppet
Jun 19, 2003

Hmm?
I can believe that. It seems to line up with earlier reports I've read about shipments not coming to the U.S. till the end of the month (from P3Droid no less).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Fitzy77 posted:

Thanks for the feedback man. To explain, money's a big issue, which is why the higher end phones are basically impossible for me to get. I'm not entirely picky; my current phone is a Droid Eris. Anything would be an improvement. What about the Revolution 4G? I can get it for $29.99, and it's really the only 4G phone I can afford. The biggest complaint I'm seeing is the battery life, but my Droid Eris rarely makes it through a single day anyway.

I had the X2 and seriously its one of the worst phones I've ever owned. I eventually called Verizon and had them send me a Droid 3. So yeah, get the Droid 3. Battery life is pretty good and its fast as gently caress. Also, it doesent randomly reboot on me like my various X2's did.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fitzy77 posted:

Amazon Wireless and Radioshack are running deals where every Verizon phone is either a penny or free. Affording the phone is really not an issue, and any of Rezound/RAZR/Bionic will be much, much (infinitely?) better than the other options. It really is no contest. If you aren't in a 4G area, turn off 4G on the phone, don't get a 3G phone. I think those deals end soon, possibly tomorrow, so do look soon.

Edit: Oh yeah, but probably not for contract renewals in a family plan. Sorry about that. If your Eris is in good shape, you should still be able to sell it for a decent bit (my G1 got $60 on eBay 2 months ago, not sure what the Eris goes for). I got a Charge, and while it isn't too horrible, I would probably trade it for a Bionic and definitely for any of the newer ones, so buying an X2 or Revolution now and sticking with it for the next two years might be tough.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 23, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

For what it's worth, I stopped by my Costco tonight and asked about exchanging my Bionic for a Razr and they didn't even blink, of course they would exchange because that's the policy. I mean, both of the sales people were asking me if I REALLY wanted to do so because of the non-removable battery...

Just wondering, why is the non-removable battery such a concern all of a sudden with the RAZR? iPhones have sold millions with little fanfare about the non-removable battery but the RAZR gets trashed for it?

Is it because you *can* have a swappable battery with every other Android phone? Is that it? Fear of not choosing a theoretically better alternative?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 23, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Just wondering, why is the non-removable battery such a concern all of a sudden with the RAZR? iPhones have sold millions with little fanfare about the non-removable battery but the RAZR gets trashed for it?

Is it because you *can* have a swappable battery with every other Android phone? Is that it? Fear of not choosing a better alternative?

Partially this and partially the fact that the RAZR apparently has the standard poo poo battery life of current-gen LTE phones, so you don't even have the option to carry a spare or extended battery.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Partially this and partially the fact that the RAZR apparently has the standard poo poo battery life of current-gen LTE phones, so you don't even have the option to carry a spare or extended battery.

Got it, but I thought the RAZR battery was AMAZIN?

Did I read the reviews wrong?

Edit: after re-reading reviews, maybe I was doing it wrong. Seems battery life kinda sucks. Got it.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 23, 2011

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

bull3964 posted:

The thing is, they've been able to demonstrate it by placing another phone nearby.

So, even if the Verizon version can't self trigger, being triggered from an outside source remains a possibility until the main root of the flaw is addressed.
Well... if the main root of the flaw is a hardware problem originating from the GSM chipset, and the LTE version lacks said GSM chipset, wouldn't the LTE version be safe? (This is just what I assume, based on... absolutely nothing)

bull3964 posted:

the 7th when my exchange period ends.
Did you happen to confirm with Costco employees that the 7th is your exchange deadline? I think I remember that you bought yours on launch day - and since I bought mine a day later that might mean I'm within the window of the 8th.

I'll obviously still double check with Costco people, but you've got me excited cause I thought I was out of the exchange window too (I'm really bad at math, haha)

tismondo fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 23, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

October has 31 days.

So, a launch day purchase for me on Sept 8th means Dec 7th is when the 90 days runs out.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
Yes but if you buy on September 8 and that counts as your first day (reasonably, it should) December 6 would be your 90th day, not the 7th. That's why I was wondering if you confirmed that date with Costco or if you had just done a quick calculation on your own.

I guess I'll just call tomorrow and see.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

hotsauce posted:

iPhones have sold millions with little fanfare about the non-removable battery

Since when? It was a major gripe and IMHO still is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Since when? It was a major gripe and IMHO still is.

Battery life with a given iOS version is a gripe that's generally satiated through software updates on iOS.

I can't recall the masses bitching about not having a removable battery, if I'm not mistaken. Sure, it's a nice to have, but no deal breaker for iPhone users. In fact, I have never met anyone who unloaded into a tirade about not having a user replaceable battery...or even mentioned it as a desired option. Sure it would be nice, but since it's never been available, it's understood that it's not an option up for discussion.

Guess it's different with the RAZR since all other Android phones have the potential of a user replaceable battery and people get all spergy about the negated potential with the RAZR?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 23, 2011

• Locked thread