Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

So I have been having a lot of issues with my Droid X and they did a warranty replacement for me. They gave me an option of getting another Droid X or getting an Incredible 2.

I decided to go with the Incredible 2, since I had the original one and enjoyed the phone. Does anyone else have any experiences with this phone? I haven't seen much about it, other than some original reviews.

Hopefully this phone can hold me off for a while, because I am eligible for an upgrade at any time, but I just haven't seen anything worth being locked into two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
The Incredible 2 is reputed to be the best 3G non-iPhone smartphone for VZW. It kind of is more like a Thunderbolt without the LTE radio and a better battery, though I find it to be a little weird. Size and how it feels in the hand-wise. Seriously though it just works. I would probably take it over the Droid X2 (because I do not like its screen). Edit: It's a good deal for the Inc2 though I'm surprised they didn't offer the X2. Either will "hold you over" until the Bionic/Jesus/LTE iPhone/whatever comes out.

While playing with the Xperia, only thing that strikes me as bad is the camera. Pictures look terrible, worse than some of the other non-iPhones in the VZW lineup. Otherwise it's fine. No werid behavior at all. Stock Gingerbread and capable (if somewhat last year's but a little better) hardware mean it's smooth. I wonder if it would be more popular if it had a slide out keyboard like the Moto Droid family instead of that all or nothing gamepad.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 10, 2011

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Don't know if anyone else has flashed the new leaked MR2 radio for the Thunderbolt, but the battery life is much better, and the thing doesn't overheat either. Still doing real testing on battery life, will report more in depth later.

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer
I have the DInc2, and I really enjoy it. It's not a world-beater by any means, but it does everything I want it to, and has yet to crash. It's quick and responsive, has a good battery life (lasts all day with moderate use), and has yet to drop a call in my current market. It may not be the fastest out there, but it seems stable and reliable, which after my last phone (HTC Touch Pro) is really all I can ask for.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

LaptopGun posted:

The Incredible 2 is reputed to be the best 3G non-iPhone smartphone for VZW. It kind of is more like a Thunderbolt without the LTE radio and a better battery, though I find it to be a little weird. Size and how it feels in the hand-wise. Seriously though it just works. I would probably take it over the Droid X2 (because I do not like its screen). Edit: It's a good deal for the Inc2 though I'm surprised they didn't offer the X2. Either will "hold you over" until the Bionic/Jesus/LTE iPhone/whatever comes out.

I was too, to be honest. My argument for returning it was that 2.3 ruined the phone (it got really buggy and terrible after getting the update). The initially did a return for another Droid X, and it was even worse (I had to reboot 10 times in an hour, because of random lockups). When I complained and said I didn't want another Droid X, she came back and said she could send me an Incredible 2. I think that if I would have pushed, I could have gotten a Droid X2, but since I only hope to have the phone for 6 months tops, I think the Incredible will be fine for me. Plus, with my recent issues with my X, I'm kind of looking forward to going back to an HTC phone. I had the original Incredible and was quite fond of it.

Interestingly enough, I've now gone 2 1/2 years without buying a new phone. After about 10-12 months, I inevitably will have a problem with my phone and call tech support. Every time, they eventually will give me new phone. I've gone from Original Droid > Incredible > Droid X > Incredible 2 without using an actual upgrade. They've been really good to me about replacements. For the record, I haven't done this intentionally to get new phones, I've just had bad luck with mine.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 10, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's odd because most people have reported an increase in stability and speed after 2.3 was pushed to the DroidX.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

Don't know if anyone else has flashed the new leaked MR2 radio for the Thunderbolt, but the battery life is much better, and the thing doesn't overheat either. Still doing real testing on battery life, will report more in depth later.

Sweet please report back! and any info on instructions and whatnot would be awesome.

I need to do something about my TB. Right now it's so bad with battery and random reboots and freezing I have to try and get a replacement, but I don't want to go deal with store reps at all.

Also the drat coat on the kickstand is peeling for no apparent reason. It looks hideous.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
In my stores right now the Dinc2 is by far the best seller and has lowest return rate. Its a drat good, functional phone. If 3G is fast enought for you but pass on it because Dual Core, you're just being stupid.

Ectohawk
Oct 27, 2010

I am looking at Verizon phones now. I would love to wait a month or two and get a really nice new android phone, but my 2 year family plan contract is up next week, and I feel pressured to get a new phone along with everyone else. I am looking at the Xperia play or another droid phone. I would like a 4 or 4.3 inch screen, and will probably be doing a lot of web browsing on it. The Droid 3 and Bionic also look really tempting.

I have never had a smart phone before. Up until now I have used an iPod Touch and a separate basic cellphone. I would love to get an iPhone, but I feel like this is the absolute worst time to get one. It would kill me to be locked into a 2 year contract just as the new iPhones are announced. I am worried about carrying around an ipod and a android phone and everything at the same time.

Does anyone have an Xperia Play? Would it be worth getting and using as a fairly standard android phone with gaming as a nice bonus?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey, my Droid Incredible is about a year old but even after trying out multiple chargers, none of them work. It seems to be a connection issue with the Micro USB port itself. I pretty much have to bend the USB cable behind the phone at a certain angle to charge it. I can't babysit the phone to make sure it is charging. Does anyone know my options in getting a repair/replacement, and about the cost?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Clowcards posted:

I am looking at Verizon phones now. I would love to wait a month or two and get a really nice new android phone, but my 2 year family plan contract is up next week, and I feel pressured to get a new phone along with everyone else. I am looking at the Xperia play or another droid phone. I would like a 4 or 4.3 inch screen, and will probably be doing a lot of web browsing on it. The Droid 3 and Bionic also look really tempting.

I have never had a smart phone before. Up until now I have used an iPod Touch and a separate basic cellphone. I would love to get an iPhone, but I feel like this is the absolute worst time to get one. It would kill me to be locked into a 2 year contract just as the new iPhones are announced. I am worried about carrying around an ipod and a android phone and everything at the same time.

Does anyone have an Xperia Play? Would it be worth getting and using as a fairly standard android phone with gaming as a nice bonus?

I've got an Xperia Play and I definitely like the phone. It has some small RAM issues, especially when you're playing some of the more graphically involved Gameloft games (Backstab HD especially comes to mind. Great game though!), and I'm not a terribly big fan of the small internal memory that it has. I ended up buying a 32 GB micro SD card just so I could fit everything I really wanted to.

That said, if you have any interest in gaming on your phone, it's the definitive device. I look at mobile games entirely differently now. The phone is similar to the high end phones of last year and I love the screen....there's some cool technology under the hood. The actual phone part is good, but not great, so if that's your biggest concern you may want to pass on the Play.

But yeah, emulators. That's the coolest part in my opinion. Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie play exactly as their originals did. No other phone can come even close to saying that. But I'm also an old game nerd so that kind of thing appeals to me. It may not be the case for you.

I recall seeing online that Amazon Wireless currently has the Play for one cent with a two year contract as well. So there you go, free phone!

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

The unfortunate thing about VZW's lineup right now is that you basically have to choose between next-gen specs and 4G. If you live in a 4G area and it's a priority to you, the Droid Charge is probably the best choice right now (despite it being a Samsung), since the Thunderbolt is riddled with bugs right now and gets like six hours of battery life, although this is supposed to be fixed with an OTA update soonish. The Revolution is decent, but Bing-ified to hell and back. It should be rootable and re-Googleable, though. If you don't live in an area that has (or is about to get) 4G, don't even bother with any of the 4G phones. All of them are basically last year's model with a 4G radio duct-taped to the back.

As far as non-4G phones, the Droid X2 has some powerful hardware, but a locked bootloader, so rooting/ROMing options will be limited. The Incredible 2 is a less beastly but still capable phone, although nobody knows if HTC's new unlocked bootloader policy will be applied retroactively. And if you can wait a few weeks, the Droid 3 is supposed to be hitting shelves near the end of June, and the Bionic a little after that (as this guy ^^^ mentioned). Of course, with all of the Moto phones, you have a locked bootloader to contend with. The Xperia Play is actually a respectable piece of hardware if you don't mind (or even want) the gamepad, and it's complete with stock Android and an unlocked bootloader. Only time will tell how well the dev community supports it, though.

Obviously you want to avoid any of last year's models (Fascinate, Droid 2, Droid Pro, and oh god especially the Continuum). Unfortunately, Verizon's lineup is at a bit of a transitory phase right now, with a lot of awesome stuff slated for "near future" release, so the longer you can hold off, the more choices you'll have.

And of course there's always the iPhone, but make sure you play around with it for a good while before picking it up. I know I've felt pretty constrained by iOS after having used Android for so long, since it's missing so many features (widgets, the ability to change the keyboard/launcher, a non-braindead notification system, quick access to WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS toggles, etc), although some of these are supposed to be fixed in iOS 5.

Sorry to jump in as someone who doesn't know anything about this topic, but when are good 4G phones expected to be released?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Kim Jong Il posted:

Sorry to jump in as someone who doesn't know anything about this topic, but when are good 4G phones expected to be released?
Probably early August for the Bionic?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

dominator posted:

Probably early August for the Bionic?

And then maybe the Targa at some point after that, unless it turns out to not have 4G.

Unfortunately the roadmap on 4G phones is pretty fuzzy right now.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Penguissimo posted:

And then maybe the Targa at some point after that, unless it turns out to not have 4G.

Unfortunately the roadmap on 4G phones is pretty fuzzy right now.
Targa is the redesigned Bionic, at least thats my understanding of it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dominator posted:

Targa is the redesigned Bionic, at least thats my understanding of it.

Yeah, they pretty much took the phone that was supposed to be the Targa and merged the Bionic into it. There is word of a new Targa coming down the pipe, but it's likely not going to be released until next year with a quad core chipset.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I switched from AT&T to Verizon over a week ago and transfered my number, but some incoming calls still go to my AT&T phone, and some go to my Verizon phone.

Who do I call to get this fixed?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Xae posted:

I switched from AT&T to Verizon over a week ago and transfered my number, but some incoming calls still go to my AT&T phone, and some go to my Verizon phone.

Who do I call to get this fixed?

Verizon as they're the ones who are porting the number.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Clowcards posted:

I'd just get an iPhone, unless 4G in 2012 is something that's important to you.

It seems reasonable to assume the next iPhone will just be an incremental upgrade (an iPhone 4GS, if you will), and will not be announced for at least three months. Assuming that's true, AND assuming Apple goes back to their "new iPhone once a year, every year" policy, it'll be at least 15 months unlit the "iPhone 5" is available, and at that point you'll be five months away from an upgrade. If by some odd chance they announce the next iPhone in July along with the release of Lion, you'll still be within your 30-day return period.

Plus, you want one, you'd be able to carry one less device, and you probably have your media/apps already set up for your Touch. And Android phones frankly suck for listening to music and playing games -- compared to iDevices, at least.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I bought a phone and then did an exchange for a different phone. If I want to return that phone for a refund and just back to the phone I originally had, can I do that? Or is it going to be a huge pain in the rear end like I'm assuming?

Just out of curiousity, I'm still not 100% sure if I want to keep the phone or not.

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 12, 2011

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Barack Pwnbama posted:

I bought a phone and then did an exchange for a different phone. If I want to return that phone for a refund and just back to the phone I originally had, can I do that? Or is it going to be a huge pain in the rear end like I'm assuming?

Just out of curiousity, I'm still not 100% sure if I want to keep the phone or not.

Wait, do you want to go back to your original original phone before all this mess, or do an exchange to the first phone you bought?

Either way, you're probably getting dinged for $35.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
In case anybody missed it, new pictures and stats of the Bionic leaked. The phone now looks less like the Droid X than the leaked Targa prototype.MOTO improved the screen (both size and resolution). A TI CPU makes everything run.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/06/more-droid-bionic-pictures-surface-4-5-qhd-screen-new-3d-blur-and-android-2-3-4/

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Acrolos, good luck with your new phone. I'm frankly mystified that you had so many problems with the DroidX.

Cozmosis, technically you are allowed 1 return or exchange. You hypothetically could get an exception as long as you are not trying to end up with an iPhone. Maybe, maybe not. I am sort of speculating.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Cozmosis posted:

Wait, do you want to go back to your original original phone before all this mess, or do an exchange to the first phone you bought?

Either way, you're probably getting dinged for $35.

Well, my original original phone, but I'm thinking I'll just keep this new phone. I think it's just that I liked my original phone so much that I'm worried about making the wrong choice and being stuck with a phone for two years.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

LaptopGun posted:

Acrolos, good luck with your new phone. I'm frankly mystified that you had so many problems with the DroidX.

To be fair, I've had the phone for almost a year without any problems. All of my problems started over the past few weeks.

I really liked the phone and wouldn't have minded a replacement, but since they offered me a newly released phone as a replacement, I gladly accepted.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I wasn't aware that the Droid X Gingerbread release was causing people problems.

Ectohawk
Oct 27, 2010

The Bionic looks really nice, as does the Droid 3. How do people estimate the release dates? I heard end of month, end of summer. Do you think it would be worth waiting for either of these phones to come out? I know no one knows for sure, but just guessing from what has happened with past phone releases. Will they probably be in the 300 dollar range with a contract?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Clowcards posted:

The Bionic looks really nice, as does the Droid 3. How do people estimate the release dates? I heard end of month, end of summer. Do you think it would be worth waiting for either of these phones to come out? I know no one knows for sure, but just guessing from what has happened with past phone releases. Will they probably be in the 300 dollar range with a contract?

Most of the release date estimates come from leaked internal VZW documents. Of course, even these are less than 100% reliable, as unexpected problems can crop up (hello, Thunderbolt).

Whether they're worth waiting for is a matter of how badly you want/need a new phone right now. If you're chugging along on anything newer than the OG Droid and pretty happy, then it's definitely worth holding off for a bit to see what shows up, especially if you're in a 4G area. If you've been surviving on a dumbphone and really itching for an upgrade, it might be less worth holding out.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The leaked MR2 has pretty much nixed the reboot issue for the Thunderbolt. I read a bunch of forums and multiple people are reporting 80+ hours without any reboots thus far and they add the GPS seems to finally be fixed and is locking on instantly for virtually all of them. I believe the MR2 OTA is due very soon, like a week or less.

Haven't seen a ton about battery(although no complaints) but Gingerbread is going to be the update that should improve the life with its superior power management much like Froyo did for the DInc, I believe. That OTA should be sometime in July.

Still, once they fix that and give me GB I'll be in hog heaven. I really love this phone and I don't have insane usage so I really don't face battery issues.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 13, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ironic since I am doing really well with Sprint, but Cellular Sales reached out to me asking for an interview, and I never decline interviews. Since I'm likely moving in a few months, could be nice timing anyway. I've heard nothing but good things about them, but just checking here to see if anyone has personal experience with them?

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

Clowcards posted:

This is pretty much the exact post I've been meaning to make. I keep switching back and forth between wanting those two phones. I guess it'll be easier to decide once they're actually out and all the specs aren't just rumors. Anyone can feel free to try to talk me in one direction or another though.

I've had an OG Droid since a couple days after it came out (before they switched to the flat keyboard), and I absolutely love my phone. The keyboard is starting to come apart now though, and it's time to move on. (Same thing with my friend who bought his the same day... he's had to glue 4 or 5 keys back on this week.) But I know the specs on all the new phones are so much better now, so I'm ready.

I'm leaning towards the Droid 3 for two reasons... I'm not sure I can live without my physical keyboard, and 4G isn't a big enough deal for me. We have it in Boston, but I live 45 minutes outside the city and am not in the city enough for it to matter. If they were to throw a physical keyboard on the Bionic though I might have a really hard time deciding.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Milestone3 has been reviewed overseas so this is the most complete info we have about the Droid3 yet.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/13/motorola-milestone3-droid3-gets-reviewed-benchmarks-specs-and-pentile-screen-included/#more-36374

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Can someone with one of those pentile screens answer me one question? How actually noticeable IS it if you aren't zoomed in at like 25x with a loving macro camera? Every article that makes a big deal out of it is zoomed in at ridiculous zooms with macro lenses and crap - as long as it's not immediately visible when, say, playing PvZ or something, I really don't see it as a problem. (Maybe I'm just weird/blind, though.)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Are phones coming in higher than $199 with a 2 year contract these days? I imagine the Droid 3 will be around that price. Anyone else feeling that all of the latest phone offerings and the upcoming ones are just so boring? It's like the same poo poo but with better specs, it's getting harder to tell them apart. Not really any innovation. I guess my 3rd Droid X has made me bitter. Love random reboots :/

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
I understand the Thunderbolt has simultaneous voice and data but I'm unclear on why this is. I've actually heard 2 different mutually exclusive explanations.

- Data over LTE, voice over CDMA. If you turn off the LTE radio you no longer get simultaneous voice/data

- There was a fix on the VZW backend and/or the thunderbolt has a unique radio that allows simultaneous voice and data, independent of LTE.

Which one is true? And are there any other phones currently or in the near future that allow simultaneous voice/data?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

tismondo posted:

I understand the Thunderbolt has simultaneous voice and data but I'm unclear on why this is. I've actually heard 2 different mutually exclusive explanations.

- Data over LTE, voice over CDMA. If you turn off the LTE radio you no longer get simultaneous voice/data

- There was a fix on the VZW backend and/or the thunderbolt has a unique radio that allows simultaneous voice and data, independent of LTE.

Which one is true? And are there any other phones currently or in the near future that allow simultaneous voice/data?

Data over LTE, voice over CDMA. They use different radios that can work at the same time. So every 4G Verizon phone should have simultaneous voice/data.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Linked earlier in the the thread: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4240/htc-thunderbolt-review-first-verizon-4g-lte-smartphone/3

The Thunderbolt has a chipset for both LTE+CDMA and a separate CDMA only chipset. I imagine Verizon had to make a few changes to their network to allow it, but the Thunderbolt will do simultaneous voice and data in many places. Doesn't have to be a 4G area either.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Duckman2008 posted:

Ironic since I am doing really well with Sprint, but Cellular Sales reached out to me asking for an interview, and I never decline interviews. Since I'm likely moving in a few months, could be nice timing anyway. I've heard nothing but good things about them, but just checking here to see if anyone has personal experience with them?

No personal experence but have seen a ton of bad things about them in the Verizon employee forum over at HoFo.

You don't get a job with them. You become an "indipendent contractor" so they can dodge taxes and having to pay healthcare and unemployement insurance. You need to get a Tax ID number, and you are also on the hook to pay your taxes quarterly yourself. You will need to file as a business, since essentually you are. I'm pretty sure it 100% commission.

I have heard you can make a lot of money with them if your very good work a shitload of hours, but that is some shady bullshit right there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Thunderbolt supports SVDO (which allows 3G data and 1x voice at the same time) and it has been live in some Verizon areas for awhile. They just don't advertise it since SVDO isn't (and won't be) live everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I always wondered how people on Verizon dealt with having a phone call while using the GPS. It would suck to miss an exit because your GPS wouldn't keep a data connection while you talked to your dad on speakerphone (this is why I use Igo8; the maps (all 4 gigs of them) are on the SD card and don't use data).

• Locked thread