Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah I am pretty sure I can't use the hotspot feature on my SG4 without paying a fee, correct? I am not on share everything but I am on tiered data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I wonder if that decision will just make some people just jump ship to another carrier. At least the Nexus 5 and Moto x are reasonably priced no contract phones that won't get rid of your unlimited data

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Your plan will remain $80 before taxes. They just change your data allowance from unlimited to 2gb. You don't have to choose a new phone plan

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

So no matter what, I lose unlimited?

Your best bet is to pay $399 for a no contract Moto X http://www.motorola.com/us/home There was a coupon out for awhile that brought the price down to $350. If you do that you still have unlimited data

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ninmeister posted:

Thank God that Verizon has open enrollment for insurance right now. My wife dropped her 1 month old Galaxy S4 here in Disney, land of rounded stone floors and shattered her screen.

Is it really only 99 to get a replacement through that? When I was on Sprint the deductible was stupid high.

I think $99 is for Android and the Apple products are dumb high. I think my iphone 5 was $179 for a 32GB replacement. Sigh I remember the days of a $50 deductible.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Bah, this sucks. Customer service a few weeks ago told me that the $300 off full price for a smartphone would not touch unlimited. However, CS is now telling me that it will not only remove my unlimited, but a $30 upgrade fee as well since they are calling it an early upgrade.

CS before that said that it wouldn't count as an early upgrade.

Man, this is looking worse and worse. If my phone wasn't so close to dying, I'd just wait until after vacation. But I don't know if it will last.

I am pretty sure everyone has told you a few times if you want to keep unlimited you need to pay full price. The $300 off is the upgrade discount. I believe the cheapest new phone full retail would be the Moto X.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I am headed to Costa Rica next month for a honeymoon. I want to use my phone gps for getting around. I should be ok to pick up a local sim card and slip it into my Galaxy S4 right? I don't have to unlock the phone? The network band down there is GSM 1800 I believe

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

roymorrison posted:

I was planning on grabbing a sim wherever I'm at. I've been told that I need an off contract phone to do that? I don't really give a poo poo about data when I'm out and about, just calls.

No one answered me when I asked the same question a few weeks ago. I have a Galaxy 4 and I'm still in contract. When I was in Costa Rica a few weeks ago I just bought a prepaid sim and popped it in my phone. The whole off contract thing was the old school way. Any newer phone will be unlocked for international use. Just make sure the cell bands are supported where you are traveling

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Henchman 21 posted:

Just a quick question. I plan on rolling into Verizon tomorrow to buy a device using the device payment plan to keep my unlimited data but nobody online really seems to know the qualification requirements (or my Google fu is failing me) does anyone know what they are or any roadblocks I might run in to? I'm currently out of contract and I know the phone has to be priced $399+ but besides that what are they looking for?

I'm expecting a few very puzzled looks when I mention it to the reps.

Are you talking about the Edge program? I am pretty sure that kills your unlimited data.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If people want unlimited seems like that Best Buy loophole still works. Why wouldn't everyone just do that? I guess one issue is you do have to already have a sim card with 4g service on it

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I have sold all my phones through SA Mart. So pretty painless

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Lol at this Verizon Rewards Program. I signed up and had 31,000 points. I can buy discounted gift cards! AWESOME! I need to cancel this poo poo because in order to sign up for it you have to agree to Verizon Selects which is just their data mining bullshit

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/03/verizon-introduces-smart-rewards-program-like-a-credit-card-point-system/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

texaholic posted:

I got an email from verizon:

I registered and it looks like I can order free pizza from Papa Johns or bid on beats headphones and many other things. I guess this is a brand new rewards program? Actually now it says I have 27,280 points.

What are these many other things? Are you sure it's a free pizza and not a coupon for a discounted pizza? Most of the poo poo is coupons for a percentage off local crap. Good luck winning those bids too

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep, the $60 plan is plain as day on their website now.

What the hell happened to the 2gb data allowance? It's gone now

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yup clearing the cache fixed it. Thanks I was helping a few friends switch so they could save a bit of cash

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Hey I just bought an iphone 5s back in May. Can I trade it in for an iphone 6 plus but keep my unlimited data? Also the name of the account is under my wife's mom's aunt. Will that be a problem? I don't want to have talk to anyone though. Maybe I can pay a goon to do that through SA Mart?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Single line plan. $60. Unlimited talk, text and 2gb data

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Virtue posted:

How long can you delay sending the phone in for the iPhone 6 tradein program?

It looks like I'm going to miss the first preorder window and estimated shipping dates are in October past the 9/30 end date of the trade in promotion.

I have no problem waiting for the new phone but I don't have a spare I can use in the meantime.

The appraised value includes a promotional offer that requires a purchase of an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on Verizon Wireless by 9/30/2014. Your device must be mailed to Verizon Wireless within 7 days after receiving the new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus but no later than 12/01/2014. Device received after 12/01/2014 will be reassessed at current market value. Damaged and non-working devices will be appraised according to their condition at time of inspection.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Apparently Verizon moved the upgrade dates on people's accounts to an earlier date. Good news for the people in here worried about not having an iPhone 6 plusxxx as soon as possible. Shudder, catastrophe avoided.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

So, I've got a single line w/unlimited data (month-to-month). If I trade in my flawless 5S for the $300 credit toward the full-retail purchase of a 6, I'll still keep my unlimited or no?

Seems like the unlimited plans will be worthless now http://www.droid-life.com/2014/07/25/verizon-makes-it-official-throttling-comes-to-unlimited-4g-lte-customers-in-october/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just switched an unlimited account to the 6gb one. Didn't even ask for it during upgrade. The rep just said hey its available do you want it? This was earlier this morning when grabbing an iPhone 6. And yeah don't switch to More Everything if it's not cheaper. I stayed with old plan

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That should work. More Everything didn't save me money so no reason to switch.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

They were only offering $80 in store when I went this past Friday for a 4s. So I purchased the 6 and did the trade in online for the promo $200 gift card

Edit this was at a Verizon Corp store too

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

2 year contracts aren't going away in the next couple of years.

Sucks but I can tell you they don't know what to do at the upper levels. Tmobile is a legitimate threat now. The next idea is a pitch for the prepaid plans but seeing the plan it will probably be rejected. Sorry sales dudes

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Anybody should be able to switch to it even if they are in contract. Just do it online. If they aren't helpful just initiate chat with a new rep

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

While the moto x is cool and I like mine if I were a betting man I would wait for a spiritual successor to the maxx. Maybe something more rugged, a better battery that lasts longer and charges faster

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

kensei posted:

Ugh someone leak the Turbo/Quark/MAXX II release date

There wasn't one when I saw the spec sheet :(

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

They are extremely backed up at the trade in program. Last week you couldn't even be on hold. They just hung up on you saying it's too busy. It will most likely be ok

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You reps stop calling the single line plan a loyalty plan. Gonna blow my brain out if I hear another customer bitch about it in these focus groups

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

VoLTE soak test?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

No plans should be for new customers only. I have always had luck going into a corporate store and having my account audited. They should be able to show you the ins and outs of every plan, look at past data usage etc. You can do the same thing online but I found it easier to have the new available plans info relayed to me in person

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You can wait to upgrade

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Google voice. They could give that number out.

edit: To expand on that, I give out my google voice number because I interact with a large amount of people on a daily basis with work. They would only need to call that number during a certain time frame so at that time the gv forwards to my cell. All other times it will just go to voicemail.

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 27, 2014

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

For people that don't browse the Android thread here is info on Droid Turbo http://bgr.com/2014/10/28/verizon-event-droid-turbo-liveblog-live-coverage/

You get a free screen replacement if it cracks during your contract agreement

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

nine16thsdago posted:

not sure if this is the best thread to ask, but i have an LG G3 on the verizon more everything plan and i'm going on a quick trip to germany.

can i get a prepaid SIM in germany that will work with this phone or should i add international service through verizon? i think i can expense either way (traveling for work).

thanks!

Check the bands Germany uses if they match your phones avaliable bands yes you can just pop in a sim card while there. Just disable the Verizon network before you board the plane

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

jackpot posted:

Just now I went through the setup process on my 4s, I'm signed on to my Wi-Fi but I haven't logged on to any Apple services yet; when I use Find my iPhone now (on my new phone), my old iPhone still isn't showing up. Should I install the app on my 4s, login to it, then just logout and reset the phone again?

Nah it's some bullshit with a 3rd party not paying out. I'm curious what my mom will get offered since I followed all the steps correctly when I traded in the phone for her.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

My current phone has a micro sim card and the Moto X I just ordered from Moto Maker supposedly has a nano-sim pre-installed. Can I activate the nano-sim over the air or will I need to bring it into a Verizon store to get it activated?

You just turn it on. It will activate on it's own

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

He is just adding to a family share plan or creating one it sounds like

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Order online. Shipping is pretty quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Deep Winter posted:

Are we talking on contract or outright purchase? If it's on contract, absolutely we're going to activate it in the store before you walk out. Otherwise people could could walk in and buy a $700 phone for $100 and sell it on the street.

If it's off contract, then they should let you walk out without activating it, it's yours, you can do whatever. Know that of course recently released phones are reserved for contract pricing.

Lol yeah the reason is so the accessory push can happen in the store. You can buy the phone online and the activation process is up to the consumer at home.

• Locked thread